Ricky Hatton

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Ricky Hatton is one of the greatest boxers of our time. He has an amazing record of 42-0 with 30 KOs. He is only 28 and has already won titles in two weight divisions. Small even for a light welterweight, his reach is only 65" and he's stands 5'6''. Most of his opponents have had an advantage in reach and height, but his great speed and natural toughness has enabled him to prevail.

He takes more abuse from negro posters on boxing discussion websites than any other boxer except Wladimir Klitschko. They see him as the only real threat to Mayweather. Jose Luis Castillo, 33, a great Mexican boxer with 47 KOs and 55 wins will be Hatton's next opponent, this coming Saturday on HBO. Castillo was the only fighter to defeat Mayweather. In a fight televised on HBO, despite it being obvious to even the HBO broadcasters that Castillo had won, the judges gave a gift decision to Mayweather.

If Hatton defeats Castillo, I hope he fights Mayweather next. Nothing would be more enjoyable than seeing Hatton beat that arrogant little loudmouth.

G

JD1986 said:
Ricky Hatton is one of the greatest boxers of our time. He has an amazing record of 42-0 with 30 KOs. He is only 28 and has already won titles in two weight divisions. Small even for a light welterweight, his reach is only 65" and he's stands 5'6''. Most of his opponents have had an advantage in reach and height, but his great speed and natural toughness has enabled him to prevail.

He takes more abuse from negro posters on boxing discussion websites than any other boxer except Wladimir Klitschko. They see him as the only real threat to Mayweather. Jose Luis Castillo, 33, a great Mexican boxer with 47 KOs and 55 wins will be Hatton's next opponent, this coming Saturday on HBO. Castillo was the only fighter to defeat Mayweather. In a fight televised on HBO, despite it being obvious to even the HBO broadcasters that Castillo had won, the judges gave a gift decision to Mayweather.

If Hatton defeats Castillo, I hope he fights Mayweather next. Nothing would be more enjoyable than seeing Hatton beat that arrogant little loudmouth.
Hatton is great.

But his achievements leave something to be desired.

He won a title at 147 in a close disputed fight then moved back down to 140. When you move up a weightclass you are supposed to stay there.

Gary

Mentor
Hatton is a very good fighter, his win over Kostya Tszyu put the stamp of greatness on him. Tszyu knocked Judah silly and Hatton beat Tszyu.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Turner said:
Hatton is great.

But his achievements leave something to be desired.

He won a title at 147 in a close disputed fight then moved back down to 140. When you move up a weightclass you are supposed to stay there.
Hatton didn't take the fight with Collazo because he had intentions of moving up to welterweight, he had another fight at light welterweight planned and the other boxer pulled out. He fought a much bigger southpaw opponent in Collazo - who is now a light middleweight - with little time for preparation, but still managed to pull off a win. Hatton is small even for a light welterweight: his height is 5'6'' and his reach is only 65''.

Hatton's achievements leave nothing to be desired, especially when you consider he's only age 28.

1) 42 wins no losses
2) 30 KO's
3) He defeated Kostya Tszyu who was ranked P4P #3 at the time, by stoppage. Mayweather had avoided fighting Tszyu.
4) Defeated Maussa for another title. Maussa had won an impressive victory over Vivian Harris.
5) Hatton was chosen Ring Magazine's "Fighter of the Year" for 2005
6) Won a title at welterweight by defeating a bigger man, who's now moved up to light middleweight.
7) Defeated a tough young undefeated titleholder in Juan Urango.

SOME OF HATTON"S OPPONENTS:
Urango 17-0-1
Collazo 26-1
Maussa 20-2
Tszyu 31-1
Stewart 36-2-2
Vilches 41-4-2
Pederson 44-2
Tackie 24-4
Rios 35-2
Phillips 47-7-1
Smith 31-1
Magee 23-2
Rowsell 31-1
Rowland 25-1
Pep 42-7
Lauri 19-1

and 26 others!

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Edited by: JD1986

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I'd like to see Ricky move up to 147 and take on Cotto, Mayweather or Margarito next. Don't forget his fight with Collazo was his first fight at welterweight, first major fight in the U.S. and first major fight against a lefty.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
I'd like to see Ricky move up to 147 and take on Cotto, Mayweather or Margarito next. Don't forget his fight with Collazo was his first fight at welterweight, first major fight in the U.S. and first major fight against a lefty.
The only problem with him moving up is that he's just too small. Most of the welterweights are 5'8'' to 5'11 and more importantly have a reach of 70'' to 75''. Hatton is 5'6'' and has a reach of only 65''. I would like to see him fight all the guys his own size instead of moving up to fight bigger men and getting beaten up like Roberto Duran did.

But Mayweather at 5'8'' and reach 72'' is someone I would like to see him fight.Edited by: JD1986

Angelcynn

Guru
Spot on JD1986, thats exactly how I feel about Hatton. He is too short and his reach is not great compared to the average welterweight although he does make up for that in speed and power. I'd love to see him fight Mayweather. I reckon Hatton would be Mayweathers nightmare and could knock that smerk off Mayweathers face with a special Ricky Hatton uppercut. Having said that I'm extremely nervous for Saturday, as I do rate Castillo very highly and he could cause Hatton a fair few problems. Fingers crossed!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
TheEnglishman said:
I'm extremely nervous for Saturday, as I do rate Castillo very highly and he could cause Hatton a fair few problems. Fingers crossed!
Yes, Castillo has 47 KOs, he's an extremely dangerous opponent. He's still in his prime at age 33 and will be at his best for this fight. I'm a little worried too, but I think Hatton will prevail.Edited by: JD1986

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Turner: you have really missed the mark.

Hatton's success is even more remarkable because of his height and reach disadvantages. And don't think reach is not a decided advantage. Reach means you can hit first. Height makes head shots harder to connect with and being taller means your stride is likely longer too which means you can step away or advance forward faster. So being a little guy like Hatton and always giving away reach, height, and stride has forced him to be better and smarter, and more tactical than his opponents. Yes Hatton is special, very special.

Against Castillo this is what Hatton needs to do:

As usual for him he needs to be first. He needs to fake, bait a shot, slip, and step in with jabs. Once in, he needs to stay in and close and run combos of 6-10 punches.
Hopefully he won't have to wear those giant gloves he wore in his last fight and his punches will have more effect.
Castillo is an orthodox fighter who likes to throw a left to the body and double it up with a left to the head, like Cotto. The straight right to the head will help neutralize Castillo's left to the body as Castillo will leave his chin open when he throws his left. Expect Hatton to time his straight right and throw it when he thinks Castillo's going to throw his left and he will beat him to the punch. This is where he has to be first. He also must not forget his machine gun like jab and not try stepping in just hooking.
Hatton also has the option of jabbing, steping to his right and away from Castillo's right, and throwing a right to the body and a right to the head. This step to the right and right to the body will help serve to forcing Castillo to block with his left and therefore not throwing it.

By stepping in and being first Hatton will control this battle of distance. He needs to smother Castillo and not be in his punching range. Hatton needs to be either really close or two steps back and out of range.

PREDICTION:
Castillo is a very hard man and has great pride. Hatton is the same type of man. Neither man will knock out the other. The faster, busier man will win on points. I take Hatton on a slim margin by virtue of his punching proficiency. Fair play to Hatton.Edited by: Maple Leaf

JD1986 said:

Speaking of that arrogant little loudmouth, did you guys know that Mayweather had some very "not-so-nice" words for the athletes in the UFC? If I can find the article online, I will post it, but to make a long story short, he basically was "hating" on the UFC and not giving it any respect. Now, I hope Hatton puts him in the hospital.

Hatton will get a 3 fight deal with HBO if he wins. Mayweather will almost certainly get "Sugar" Shane Mosley first. Golden Boy wants revenge and I think Sugar could give Mayweather an extremely tough fight, if not a loss. After that Mayweather could go a few directions, stay at 154 and fight Simms (A Showtime fighter, OK boxing wise but really brings nothing to the table. Fights July 7th as co-headline with Vic Darchinyan), Spinks (St. Louis guy {my hometown} but brings NOTHING to the table in terms of money or anything else other than his name, watch the fight against Taylor in Memphis {I was there at the FedEx Forum, he stunk it up
smiley11.gif
}) or Sergiy Dzinziruk (Olympian & Ukraine native, now fighting out of Hamburg, Germany. Beat atough Daniel Santos, but lillte knownas he fights out of Germany
smiley19.gif
. Heard good thing about him, though.)Or go back to 147. Either waythe money fights for Floyd would be at 147 after that. That would bode well for Hatton. When Hatton beats Castillo, I see his 3 fights as maybe Judah (or Gatti)1st for a tough but easily beatable tune up, Cotto 2nd, and putting on a Superfight with Mayweather.Hatton NEEDS to blast Castillo out of the water. If they say it was a good fight and put him against Castillo for a 2nd or maybe even a 3rd, it will delay and could possiblyend a chance of him fighting against Mayweather (He's hinted of retiring for good in the near future). Although Hatton has a big and growing fan base, at this point he'll have to go back to 147 and get him because unfortunately the chips (and politics) of boxing are on Mayweather's side. But we all watched Floyd have his troubles with Castillo in the past and Hatton will put on even more pressure. We as fight fans needs to scream for Mayweather/Hatton. But I think in the end HBO will pair them up hopefully sooner not later. I hope they do!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter said:
Speaking of that arrogant little loudmouth, did you guys know that Mayweather had some very "not-so-nice" words for the athletes in the UFC? If I can find the article online, I will post it, but to make a long story short, he basically was "hating" on the UFC and not giving it any respect. Now, I hope Hatton puts him in the hospital.

Entire thread on the UFC board somewhere on this topic, if you want to run a search for it. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think someone even posted a poll about it.

Hockaday

Guru
The Ricky Hatton Express has slowed a bit his last couple fights. He still pulled out wins, but he'll have to get back to his pre-Tzu form and get up close and personal to beat Castillo. If Ricky has an edge, it's his quickness.

Ricky might have to shake off a couple bombs while he wears Castillo down and wins pulling away.

JoeV

Guru
4th round knockout boy! The idiot announcers were already making excuses for Castillo, but it was an impressive win nonetheless, if Hatton can fight and beat Mayweather, it will be sweet.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Well Ricky overwelmed Castillo and he knocked him out with a body punch to the short rib. Max the mouth Kellerman would not give the credit to Ricky and said more than once that Castillo was " shot", thereby diminishing Ricky's win. What B.S! Ricky came into the ring in top form and jumped Castillo like a swarm of killer bees. Ricky would defeat the atomic tongued Mayweather at this level.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The British are coming!The British are coming!Ha.ha.Look out for Ricky "The Hitman"Hatton at a ring near you.Soon to take out Floyd Gayweather.
smiley36.gif
I can't wait to see this fight.The question is will they have the guts to give Hatton a shot at that loud,arrogant,overrated fighter.

Hatton looked amazing tonight.What a performance.From the ring of the bell in the first round until the end,he pummeled Castillo.He never knew what hit him!

Bart

Hall of Famer
Ricky Hatton must have surprised many of his naye sayers by beating his opponent rather early in the fight.

Yahoo Sports boxing expert didn't expect Ricky to win.

Kevin Iole: Castillo looked trim in all his pre-fight public appearances and had the same glint in his eye he did when he knocked out Corrales in their 2005 rematch.

So, given the choice between an honorary Mexican and an authentic Mexican, I'll go for the real deal.

Take Castillo by unanimous decision in what will become the Fight of the Year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great news men! Thanks for the info once again.

dkr77

Guru
Kellerman comes off like a circus sideshow jerk with a speech impediment. I wouldn't put much credibility in anything he says. Some of the so called boxing expert's were stating that Castillo was in his prime and would handily beat an over rated Hatton. To think they actually pay some of these people for their opinion is unbelievable.

Bart

Hall of Famer
dkr77 said:
Kellerman comes off like a circus sideshow jerk with a speech impediment. I wouldn't put much credibility in anything he says.

I agree. He is the personification of the word - SHMUCK!

Bart

Hall of Famer
Eastside Boxing expert:

23.06.07 - By Richard Rodriguez:

Tonight at the Thomas and Mack Arena, we'll be seeing history made when Jose Luis castillo (55-7-1, 47 KO's) makes what will likely be one of the best comeback fights in recent memory when he destroys Britain' Ricky Hatton (42-0, 30 KO's).

For much of the past two weeks, a lot of the focus has been on Castillo, 33, of whom many fans believe isn't the same fighter he once was following his two brutal fights with Diego Corrales. Indeed, there may be some truth to this belief; however, if Castillo, a two-time light weight champion, has lost anything it's only a marginal amount of his extraordinary talent, which I believe is more than enough to beat the limited Hatton.<A name=more11417></A>

Hockaday

Guru
I'm quite surprised that Hatton took him out so quickly. I thought it would be a battle of attrition, but good riddance to Castillo. Not making weight twice in a row for championship fights, what a lazy bum. Too much "manyana" in his training habits, looks like.

Another great win, which I missed because of a social engagement. I'm staying up till 4:30 this morning to watch the replay.