Reddick

bigunreal

Mentor
I hear that Reddick is asking to be traded. It's about time. The Reddick case illustrates the anti-white bias in basketball better than any I can think of. When was the last time that the NCAA's leading scorer, from a highly ranked team to boot, was treated like this by the team who drafted him? As PitBull's excellent research shows, virtually all other college players of the year were given significantly more of a chance to play. Edited by: bigunreal

G

There is not much discrimination in basketball.

Reddick is getting shafted and is doing the right thing by asking for a trade. But I don't see him becoming a good NBA player.

bigunreal

Mentor
"There is not much discrimination in basketball."

There is no way anyone can take you seriously after a comment like that. As I've stated here several times, as a youth basketball coach, I can state from personal experience that the favoritism towards black players starts at THAT level, and only becomes more blatant as you go on to high levels of competition.

You just aren't paying attention, or you have an agenda, if you believe that white players are treated equally by NBA coaches, general managers, jock-sniffing "journalists and drunk white fans.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
There is most definitely discrimination in basketball, especially at the Guard positions.

Several years ago, before I was completely awakened, I remember watching many of the 300+ NCAA D-1 teams play. Something didn't feel quite right. Why are many of the Northeast teams so black, and not just the bigger conferences? I mean, you have so many terrible black teams in these smaller Northeast conferences.

When one looks at SEC Football, the question is asked "do Whites even play football in the South?"

So, "do Whites even play basketball in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc?"

There is discrimination alright, and many coaches just maintain the status quo.

Edited by: Deadlift

G

It looks like the Magic will deny his trade request. He is really getting a bad deal.

j41181

Master
BIG BREAK for J.J. Reddick, Mikael Pietrus is out 3-5 weeks with a thorn ligament on his hand, Keith Bogans is also out, and Jameer Nelson is also ailing.

This should open the door to more playing for J.J. Reddick, whether Stan Van Gundy and his staff like it or not. Let the guy PLAY, Let the guy PLAY.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Best news i have heard about j.j in a while!!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It's so depressing when you see the top two scorers from college basketball a few seasons ago struggling in Reddick and Morrison. I love both of these guys and they have tremendous heart but so far have been disappointments. Hopefully this break helps JJ.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah J.J is going to have to step it up. He needs better production than 30% shooting. Maybe more playing time will get him in a rhythm. As far as Morrison, he is coming off an ACL tear so that is tough to bounce back from right away, but I think he's doing solid.

dbwave

JJ was a stud in college. This year he has been givin a chance but has yet to step up. He had a huge shooting slump earlier this year. I hope he can find his old rythm. Would be great to have him break the chains.

G

j41181 said:
BIG BREAK for J.J. Reddick, Mikael Pietrus is out 3-5 weeks with a thorn ligament on his hand, Keith Bogans is also out, and Jameer Nelson is also ailing.

This should open the door to more playing for J.J. Reddick, whether Stan Van Gundy and his staff like it or not. Let the guy PLAY, Let the guy PLAY.

After 4 straight starts, Bogans takes over. It's back to the bench for J.J.
smiley7.gif

J.J. Redick out as starter</font>
Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
3:39 PM EST, December 8, 2008

LOS ANGELES - J.J. Redick's four-game run as a starter for the Orlando Magic is over.

Coach Stan Van Gundy said after Monday's shootaround at Staples Center that he will start Keith Bogans in Redick's place at shooting guard tonight against the L.A. Clippers.

Orlando (15-5) is on a five-game road trip, its longest of the season.

"I'm not going to get into the details (about the change)," Van Gundy said."I thought it was the best thing going forward at least for this trip. It gives us the best matchups."

Redick had been starting in place of injured Mickael Pietrus, who is not expected to return until late this month after tearing a ligament in his thumb. Bogans also had been out with a thumb injury for five games, but returned last week and played Friday night against Oklahoma City.

Redick has not been able to snap out of a shooting slump that started at the beginning of the season. In four starts for Pietrus, he scored 23 points and shot 8 of 19. He was 5 of 14 before going 3 of 5 against the Thunder on Friday night.

Asked what this means for Redick, Van Gundy said, "I don't know. We'll see what happens. His role has changed a little, but we'll see how he plays."

Van Gundy said he will use Redick and rookie Courtney Lee off the bench behind Bogans "according to situations."

G

ToughJ.Riggins said:
Yeah J.J is going to have to step it up. He needs better production than 30% shooting. Maybe more playing time will get him in a rhythm. As far as Morrison, he is coming off an ACL tear so that is tough to bounce back from right away, but I think he's doing solid.

Seems like in college Adam and J.J. were able to create their own shots off the dribble. In the NBA, however, with these defenders practically in their shorts, stuck to them like glue, it's just not happening for them.

Adam's shooting great from 3 pt land, though.

icsept

Master
How can you snap out of a shooting slump if you only get 19 shots in four games as a starter??!! Van Gundy never wanted to play Redick so he stuck him out there and didn't let him shoot. Now he can bury him back on the bench and tell everybody to shut up. Redick has no future in Orlando as long as Van Gundy is there.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
8 of 19 is what a typical black SG fan favorite might shoot; only some are shooting it all in one game and getting help from the refs with unwarranted freebies at the line as well. J.J should have shot more. He struggled early in the season, but looked like he was at least efficient as a starter.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

That's just great, you might as well say goodbye to Redick's career as an NBA player.

These guy needs a trade, the only way!!!!

Van Gundy just never favors White American players.

The same can be said for Morrison, Larry Brown will never let him play big time minutes. He also needs a trade, pure and simple!!!!

I really pity these two guys, GREAT White American hopes rotting on the bench.
smiley19.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Redick's situation is so sad. I watched alot of his college games and he was incredible. I thought he would at least translate into a decent shooting guard in the NBA. He is still young though and can turn it around.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
He would need more playing time to get confidence and find a groove. We still really don't know that Redick is a destined failure. Van Gundy had said this off-season that Redick had improved his defense dramatically. So why hasn't he been truly thrown into the mix? When he played he should have shot more; 8-19 isn't a HORRIBLE percentage!

bigunreal

Mentor
As was pointed out, 19 shots in four games is a ridiculously meagher number, especially for a shooting guard. Redick is a scorer, and his strength is shooting. As was also noted, 8-19 is not a bad shooting percentage at all in today's NBA. In fact, it would be a great night for Alan Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Stephan Marbury, etc. The only problem is that every jock-sniffer in the stands and on television would demand to know why "a pure shooter" or "a scorer" only took 19 shots in a game.

Is there another team in today's NBA that would give Redick a chance? I'm not sure there is. The deck seems to be stacked against white American players even more than it is in the NFL. It is a complete joke that this guy was drafted in the 1st round, off a high profile college career that culminated in his leading the nation in scoring, yet not a single jock-sniffer (and certainly not a single drunk white fan) is demanding that the team just "give him the damn ball." If one of college basketball's most prolific scorers in recent memory cannot be given a chance to shoot in the NBA, then what white player will be given a chance?

G

Redick had a good game last night playing OK defense and was 3-4 from the field and had 8 points he also had 3 Rebounds and no assists but passed the ball really well in 18 minutes of playing time.