Reddick

Skipperron

Guru
Why oh why did J.J. Reddick get picked by the Magic? So far this year he has played in just 5 games and only 20 minutes total time. He has only taken 4 shots, missing them all with 3 of them being 3 point attempts. No rebounds and 1 assist. I know that he was hurt for a little but he was only unable to play in about 2-3 games. The rest of the time he just is sitting on the bench due to white-itis.

G

Yea, they'renot playing Hedo Turkoglu because of "white-itis" either.

Are you sure they weren't playing him because of 14-3, don't-fix-it-and-destroy-your-chemistry-if-it-ain't-broken-i tis?

Skipperron

Guru
He was their best player in pre-season but started out on the bench before that record or cohesiveness came into play. You play 3 minutes total in you first couple of games and that pretty much tells you what to expect. That and the fact that perennial scrubs start ahead of you.

Skipperron

Guru
Plus Turk comes from Europe. So even though he is "white" or close to it, it is somewhat ok to play him. It is the white US player that catches the brunt of white-itis.

Skipperron

Guru
Oh, and heart be still, in the last couple of games he has played about 15-16 minutes in each one and scored 11 and then 8. And wow, the team chemistry is still intact. Will wonders never cease.

G

PitBull said:
Why does playing whites ruin team chemistry?

For the same reason they don't callskill positions, speed positions.

Hopefully this writer's strike will be over soon, and you can get back to writing jokes for Leno.

PitBull

Guru
I don't understand your crypto-comment above. Since I actually am funny, I
don't get poor attempts at jokes. At least I can get a job.

Actually, the time to get other guys on the floor is when you are winning. I
guess the argument for not playing the other guys when you are losing will
be "we can't beat the other team with our bench!" Then the argument when
the team is winning is "we can't ruin our chemistry!"

Turkoglu has proven himself as a starter for better teams than this. He
should be seeing more minutes. There's really no excuse except racism.

G

Skipperron said:
He was their best player in pre-season but started out on the bench before that record or cohesiveness came into play. You play 3 minutes total in you first couple of games and that pretty much tells you what to expect. That and the fact that perennial scrubs start ahead of you.

He was thealleged best player during meaningless, non-energetic exhibition play. Teams don'ttheir stars and starters too much in the pre-season becasue they don't want to risk injury.Unfortunately, oncethe season began, he lost6 games because ofback spasms from his herniated disk that Orlando knew about before drafting him.

How racist are they if they knowingly draftthe guy with a bad back? While he was sidelined,Orlando emerged as the 2nd best team in the entire league. The rotation and bench gelled. When interrupt such cohesion?

G

Skipperron said:
Oh, and heart be still, in the last couple of games he has played about 15-16 minutes in each one and scored 11 and then 8. And wow, the team chemistry is still intact. Will wonders never cease.

Yea, heart be still, and back be healed. Are you sure it wasn't because Keyon Dooling rode the pine in the first game? And didn't they lose that second game? Being that they lost, how do you know they didn't skew the team chemistry?

Anyway, if they're so "racist", why did they play him at all? Why would they waste a lottery pick on someone they had no interest in?

G

PitBull said:
I don't understand your crypto-comment above. Since I actually am funny, I don't get poor attempts at jokes. At least I can get a job.

LOL, I apologize. I guess I underestimated the depth of your sense of humor. I foolishly assumed you were joking when you said I felt JJ Redick's whiteness washis chemistry-busting characteristic. I felt you were joking because only an braindead jacanape with the mentalcapacity of a turnipwould have surmised that, and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. To now find out you were serious is discouraging.

The reason, obviously (or I guess NOT so obviously), I said injecting JJ in and well-oiled line-up would ruin chemistry is because the existing players already had a feel, and successful cohesion with one another. They would have to work him in slowly, and when he's healthy..which is exactlywhat they're doing. That makes sense, doesn't it?

Oh yea, just because someone's playing a "skill" position, doesn't mean they can't possess speed as well. They don't have to specifically call it a speed position to desire speed at that spot.

Actually, the time to get other guys on the floor is when you are winning. I
guess the argument for not playing the other guys when you are losing will
be "we can't beat the other team with our bench!" Then the argument when
the team is winning is "we can't ruin our chemistry!"

And again, that's precisely what they'redoing. Did you not read Skipperron's post? He has been worked into the rotation, and isplaying, no? I guess The Man can't keep him down, can they?

Turkoglu has proven himself as a starter for better teams than this. He
should be seeing more minutes. There's really no excuse except racism.

If they're so racist, why did they spend a lottery pick on him? Why didn't they just trade the pick. Why don't that trade him now?They can get anyone to do the mop-up time they're giving him.

PitBull

Guru
Why are blacks so desperate to think that they are smarter than whites?
You get a good argument and you melt down into name-calling when you
can't answer the point.

Look, if the guy never sees the floor for any significant minutes, how do
you know if he is a good NBA player or not? He was a fantastic college
player. So give the guy some real minutes and let's find out what they've
got. I can't think of any high first rounder black that never sees the light
of day, can you? Tell me one high first-round black player in the last ten
years that is buried on the bench like this guy. Sure, there have been
hyped black players that have been busts, but at least they got a
thorough tryout on the floor.

What's the argument? He's bad in practice? I doubt it, and how would
anyone know anyway? Just name one first rounder black, that's all. This
should be interesting.

Why would they not try to develop him as a sixth man either? It makes no
sense. Its not as if the other guys off the bench are so great either.
Carlos Arroyo? Hahaha!

It must be racism, plain and simple.

PitBull

Guru
Oh, and if he was great in "meaningless" exhibition play, then why not put
him in meaningful non-exhibition play? Your arguments make no sense.
Why bury a good player who can score and pass on the bench?

PitBull

Guru
College Player of the Year, NBA Rookie Season

Marcus Camby30.1 MPG
Tim Duncan39.1 MPG
Antawn Jamison22.5 MPG
Elton Brand37.0 MPG
Kenyon Martin33.4 MPG
Shane Battier39.7 MPG
Jay Williams ruined his career by injuring himself in a motorcyble
accident
David West13.1 MPG
Jameer Nelson20.4 MPG
Andrew Bogut28.6 MPG
Adam Morrison29.9 MPG
JJ Redick14.8 MPG
Kevin Durant34.0 MPG

G

First round picks always at least get to show that they can't play, by playing for a few years. Redick has been getting minutes in a few games, but not enough.

G

PitBull said:
College Player of the Year, NBA Rookie Season

David West13.1 MPG
JJ Redick14.8 MPG

Were the Hornets "racist" for not playing David West more than 14.8 minutes per game during his rookie season?

G

nevada said:
First round picks always at least get to show that they can't play, by playing for a few years. Redick has been getting minutes in a few games, but not enough.

How many of those first round picks hadherniated disks? He was injured last year, he was injured this year. Now that he healthy, he's being slowly worked into the rotation.

Whenteams areplaying as well of the Magic, they're not gonna upset the apple cart by just injectingplayers into the system,and give them major minutes, simply because they were high picks. That's something rank amatuers would do.If he were black, and you guys weren't so obsessed with this absurd racism nonsense, you'd acknowledgethey're doing the right thing.. because they are.

Anyway, being that his back is degenerative, thedisc is most likely gonna slip again, he'll losetime regularly throughout his career.That's life.

G

For the record I do not believe there is much discrimination in basketball.Edited by: nevada

Texas Tech said:
PitBull said:
College Player of the Year, NBA Rookie Season David West13.1 MPG JJ Redick14.8 MPG

Were the Hornets "racist" for not playing David West more than 14.8 minutes per game during his rookie season?

West was the a late first round selection if I remember correctly. Reddick was a lottery pick. That's a difference. Not to mention West didn't average near 30 points per game. Also, West has emerged into a very good player. Only more reason to believe that giving Reddick minutes will prove he's a very good player.Edited by: whiteafflete15

G

nevada said:
For the record I do not believe there is much discrimination in basketball.
I apologize for lumping you in with a character like Pitbull. I just can't stand people who ignorantly succumb to the cult of victimhood. I find no one more irritating that peoplewho always need something to cry about regardless of how offbase or inane it might be. He obviously has an emotional attachment to JJ Redick, and he's allowed these feelings to impede his better judgment.

Teams draft according to need. Those other lottery picks were immediately plugged in because they essentially provided what that specific team is lacking. The Magic THOUGHT they needed him, but were forced to rely on other players in his absence. Now that those other players have gelled as a cohesive unit, and have elevated themselves to (by FAR) the 2nd best team in the east, they're not gonna purposely throw a monkeywrench in machine by taking away 2 important cogs.. Bogans and Arroyo.

Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu, and Jameer Nelson are 30 to 40 minute guys per night. They probably will be until the hit their mid-30's. Bogans, Dooling, and Arroyo provide the much needed backcourt defense, and veteran presence and leadership. They're getting the job done, and their record reflects that. At 27, 27, and 28 years old, they're not going anywhere. Redick's just a bad fit for this team.

G

whiteafflete15 said:
West was the a late first round selection if I remember correctly. Reddick was a lottery pick. That's a difference. Not to mention West didn't average near 30 points per game. Also, West has emerged into a very good player. Only more reason to believe that giving Reddick minutes will prove he's a very good player.

I never said he wasn't a good player.. I said racism wasn't responsible for his not playing. Circumstance is. With a 20 ppg scorer added to the squad this year, they don't need his talents as much as they thought they did last year.

He mayturn out to be a tremendous pro player. They coaching staff, however, feel it's more prudent to work him into the rotation a) when he's healthy, and b) inminutes that aren't disruptive to the their current flow on the current principals, their success, and team chemistry.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Texas Tech said:
I just can't stand people who ignorantly succumb to the cult of victimhood.  I find no one more irritating that people who always need something to cry about regardless of how offbase or inane it might be.  He obviously has an emotional attachment to JJ Redick, and he's allowed these feelings to impede his better judgment.  </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Teams draft according to need.  Those other lottery picks were immediately  plugged in because they essentially provided what that specific team is lacking.  The Magic THOUGHT they needed him, but were forced to rely on other players in his absence.  Now that those other players have gelled as a cohesive unit, and have elevated themselves to (by FAR) the 2nd best team in the east, they're not gonna purposely throw a monkeywrench in machine by taking away 2 important cogs.. Bogans and Arroyo. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu, and Jameer Nelson are 30 to 40 minute guys per night.  They probably will be until the hit their mid-30's.  Bogans, Dooling, and Arroyo provide the much needed backcourt defense, and veteran presence and leadership.  They're getting the job done, and their record reflects that.  At 27, 27, and 28 years old, they're not going anywhere.  Redick's just a bad fit for this team.</div>

Your analysis is full of holes. Your last comment "Redicks just a bad fit for this team" does not match your other comment "teams draft for need". You have consistently cherry picked players and circumstances to fit your needs and have shifted your argument around as it was exposed to be in error.

All of the players you have mentioned got significant playing time. Not Redick, when this was pointed out to you you shifted to West as a comparison of a player who did not get significant time but the very fact that there was only ONE black player in that situation illustrates the bias. And West now playing good shows that even in his case it was probably a poor decision, which once agains makes the decision on benching Reddick a poor one.

The bias against Redick extends to last year when they weren't playing so well and Redick was healthy so it has been an on going situation that we have talked about for a while. Your late entry into the discussion is rude, impolite, and uninformed.

This is a discussion board where the express purpose as stated is to celebrate white athletes, which means that we support them when they succeed and back them when things aren't going as well. If a situation appears to be unfair, we discuss it. This is common on all sports forums where people pick their favorites based upon whatever qualities they wish.

You say: "I just can't stand people who ignorantly succumb to the cult of victimhood."

Firstly if someone thinks that they (or someone they like) are getting the short end of the stick then they would be an idiot for not saying something.

Secondly if you can't stand it then go away, because many of us can't stand you. You don't fit in, you are not liked, you are not following the spirit of the forum. You are a poor guest at this place, any decent person would realize this and leave.

You make accusations against other people and question their morality, but what kind of moral authority does a rude uninvited, troublemaker, who insults people, have??

Bart

Hall of Famer
Texas Tech said:
He mayturn out to be a tremendous pro player. They coaching staff, however, feel it's more prudent to work him into the rotation a) when he's healthy, and b) inminutes that aren't disruptive to the their current flow on the current principals, their success, and team chemistry.

Everyone is aware of the all important team chemistry. White guys know know their place and submit willingly to the pecking order.Can't really blame them can we? Their positions are often tenuous at best and hanging by threads, so they play along with smiles on their faces.

http://www.redicklive.com/athlete/index.php

From Reddick's site. JJ's Q+A:

What is the locker room dynamic like on the magic? Who's the leader, clown, and the real serious guy? Who chooses what music gets played? (from Rob)
November 15th, 2007

Let's be clear here- Dwight, and only Dwight, picks the music in the locker room and the weight room. We listen to a lot of Kanye, Lil' Wayne (I love Kanye and Weezy), and, unfortunately, Soulja Boy Tell 'Em. Sometimes, during the offseason mostly, we have "White Guy Wednesdays." Pat Garrity, James Augustine, and I will lift to the background noise of 80s rock music. As far as clowns on the team- Dwight and Keyon Dooling are the two funniest guys on the team. We really don't have many serious guys off the court. Everybody jokes around a lot. In terms of leadership, most of our older players all try and lead in some capacity. I think Jameer Nelson has a natural inclination to lead.

PitBull

Guru
So I post that 10-11 guys who were Player of the Year get about 30
minutes per game as a rookie, and the troll focuses on the only one
besides Redick who didn't. Hell, I even included white guys too who got
the 30 MPG (Bogut and Morrison). Redick isn't slowly being involved in
the rotation at all--in fact, he's only getting half of the inadequate
minutes he got last year!

Boy, I sure do love all those arguments based on cold hard facts, like
"team chemistry" and "leadership", blah, blah, blah!

Wait, the racism gets even better! Look at this:

College Player of the Year, NBA Sophmore Season

Marcus Camby31.8 MPG
Tim Duncan39.3 MPG
Antawn Jamison36.2 MPG
Elton Brand39.3 MPG
Kenyon Martin34.3 MPG
Shane Battier30.6 MPG
Jay Williams ruined his career by injuring himself in a motorcycle
accident
David Westinjured
Jameer Nelson28.8 MPG
Andrew Bogut34.2 MPG
Adam Morrisoninjured
JJ Redick7.6 MPG
Kevin DurantN/A

Now that's a "slow rotation" alright!

Hey, maybe JJ should go back to high school and enter the draft again.
Here are the rookie season MPG for high schoolers:

Eddy Curry(16.0 MPG)
Tyson Chandler(19.6 MPG)
Kwame Brown(14.3 MPG)
Kevin Garnett(28.7 MPG)
Tracy McGrady(18.4 MPG)
Kobe Bryant(15.5 MPG)
Jermaine O'Neal (10.2 MPG)
Amare Stoudamire (31.3 MPG)
LeBron James(39.5 MPG)
Rashard Lewis (7.3 MPG)
Al Harrington (7.6 MPG)