Reconstructing Culpepper

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Reconstructing Culpepper

Check out this gem of an article. The writer slathers over Dontay in a ridiculous fashion. Only a black athlete could be benched for poor play and have it morph into a "rest" for his injured knee. Note how the writer says he has to have his "athleticism" back or he won't be any good then admits that he has to learn to be a different kind of QB like Randy Johnson of the Yankees. (?) This is the stuff that passes for sports writing nowadays.

And how a bout this, imagine if Bret Favre did this too his coach, think it would get national exposure??:
The most painful part of the process is mental. Culpepper, who was hell-bent on returning to the field and proving all the doubters (especially the ones in Minnesota) wrong, took issue with Saban's decision to sit him. The two screamed at each other last Friday, including the exchange of compound words including "M" and "F."

That hasn't dimmed Saban's admiration for Culpepper, but it did create some bad headlines. "I've used the pit bull analogy with him a lot and I really believe that," Saban said. "If you were to measure the competitiveness of all the players on our roster, he would be in the top five of all our guys."

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Reconstructing Culpepper

The most painful part of the process is mental. Culpepper, who was hell-bent on returning to the field and proving all the doubters (especially the ones in Minnesota) wrong, took issue with Saban's decision to sit him. The two screamed at each other last Friday, including the exchange of compound words including "M" and "F."

I am relishing this! What was Lou thinking? After Moss left the Vikings, Dante's stats took a nose dive. He then blows up his knee and Saban empties the bank account to get him. Brad Childress blasted him publicly and wantedhim out of Minnesota. I love thedebate in Miami. Who is most at fault -- Daunte or the line?Too bad Ricky Williams isn't around to bolster harmony and team morale.I would like to have a transcript of the exchange of compound cuss words ( "M" and "F" ) between Saban and Pepper.I can imagine how it went down. Dante: Who you talking to M***** F***** ? Lou: Did you just call me a M*****F***** ? If I've offended you, please accept my apology.

Triad

Mentor
Interesting how in the preseason Culpepper was praised for returning to the field "so soon" after his injury. In contrast Carson Palmer was questioned for not wanting to play immediately after he was medically cleared. This in spite of the fact Culpepper had a two month head start on rehab.

Now we're told that Culpepper came back too soon and that's the reason for his poor performance and he was in fact not benched for awful play.
smiley5.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
It's half and half. He is obviously much slower and less athletic. But more important he has zero pocket presence. He looks like Kordell Stewart without the wheels and the homosexual rumours/ennuendos....
smiley36.gif

Deus Vult

Mentor
At LSU, Nick Saban acted like the ****-of-the-walk. e made it know, in no uncertain terms, that HE ruled that roost.

Now, in the NFL, he looks like a puss! In college, the boys are not allowed to talk back, and Coach Saban can even ban them from contact with the media. In the NFL, where the spoiled, overrated malcontents make 5 times as much as the Head Coach -- the alleged man-in-charge -- even Nick Saban walks on eggshells...

Triad said:
Interesting how in the preseason Culpepper was praised for returning to the field "so soon" after his injury. In contrast Carson Palmer was questioned for not wanting to play immediately after he was medically cleared. This in spite of the fact Culpepper had a two month head start on rehab.

Sure, the media loves a washed up white player story: look at Favre, Bledsoe and Brunell, from this season alone. As anyone who's had a serious knee injury will tell them, it takes a lot to regain faith in that knee. I'd hate to lack confidence in my knee when 300 pound tackles and ends are out to hit me. Palmer is a smart guy, and he did the right thing, except he shouldn't have commented about it the media. Makes people question his toughness, which white players simply can't afford.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
Sure, the media loves a washed up white player story: look at Favre, Bledsoe and Brunell, from this season alone.

Are you saying that the media likes these guys, because they're making a comeback? Or are you saying that the media is portraying them all as washed up?

Favre is supposed to _and_ should have retired this year; Brunell was dead man walking til he set the single game record for completions; and people are STILL insisting that Tony Romo should start in place of Bledsoe.

If there is a lot of praise being thrown their way, I've missed most of it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Miami could have signed the great Drew Brees during the off-season but instead went for Culpepper, who was universally greeted as just what the team needed to get to the Super Bowl this year.

Well, "C-Pep" was officially put on IR today. His ACL injury occurred fairly early on in the '05 season yet 13 months later he's still "rehabilitating." Carson Palmer's more severe injury took place in the playoffs yet he recovered in time for this season and is playing almost as well as before.

Culpepper's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and with limited mobility and not getting any younger, may well be washed up.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised this hasn't generated more news, I guess it just goes to show you how far Culpepper has fallen out of favor. He retired today, with little fanfare. A few teammates were interviewed ("He was one of the greatest...") but it mostly seemed to be, 'Ok man, have a good one.'

Culpepper retires

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Read my last sentence in my two year old post above yours.
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I know we know he's washed up, but he was still getting opportunities in the NFL just last year. I'm not surprised that he is washed up, I'm surprised that the NFL recognizes he is washed up, and I'm surprised that he is retiring to such little fanfare. He's leaving the league like a soft fart, quiet with just a hint of lingering odor.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He burned too many drunk white fans in fantasy football.

jared

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
He burned too many drunk white fans in fantasy football. 

Guilty. <-------Man, what a let down in '05.Edited by: jared

ThatBlackGuy

i think daunte retired because he was likely out of shape and didnt want to work his way into a starting position, i think his work ethic just fell off.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
ThatBlackGuy said:
i think daunte retired because he was likely out of shape and didnt want to work his way into a starting position, i think his work ethic just fell off.

Not to mention he's sucked ever since the knee injury.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
I'm still caught up on how he phrased his reason for retiring. He claimed that "No one gave him the chance to come in and earn a starting job." Does anyone else think that is the most pretentious thing they've ever heard?

The context of this seems to suggest to me that he believes teams are obliged to invite him to work out. That people owe him a chance to work for a job.

I suppose it never occured to him that teams JUST DON'T WANT HIM. Apparently, Daunte was unfairly treated. Boo hoo.

I'm thinking this pretty closely resembles the attention given to Barry Bonds when he wasn't immediately picked up. Analysts are puzzled why teams aren't giving him a shot? It's not the player's fault, but the organizations for being unfair? Cut me a freaking break.

Pathetic.Edited by: PhillyBirds

G

I think you guys all missed what is probably the real reason.

"I'm a starter."

As soon as guys like McNair and Culpepper are not automatically the starter, they quit. No way, no how are they going to sit on the bench behind some white guy. That's an insult.

"I'm way better than any white guy. If I can't start, I won't play."

No attempt to become an NFL backup, no attempt to move to the CFL. It's start in the NFL over silly, pathetic white guys who can't play, or retire. No middle ground.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
nevada said:
As soon as guys like McNair and Culpepper are not automatically the starter, they quit. No way, no how are they going to sit on the bench behind some white guy. That's an insult.

Byron Leftwich seems content enough in Pittsburgh. Maybe he has some ulterior motive. Who knows? Hate to argue for the sake of it, but I think Culpepper's massively inflated ego contributed to this in a big way. I'm not necessarily saying Leftwich has a lesser ego but he has, for the time being, put it to rest. He seems happy enough riding pine for the time being, but only time will tell.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
I think you guys all missed what is probably the real reason.

"I'm a starter."

"I'm way better than any white guy. If I can't start, I won't play."

No attempt to become an NFL backup, no attempt to move to the CFL. It's start in the NFL over silly, pathetic white guys who can't play, or retire. No middle ground.

I think you missed reading the article:

And over the past few months, he tried to get any opportunity around the league, even saying just last week that he'd be willing to be Aaron Rodgers' backup in Green Bay.

But I do agree there is definitely that mentally among black players, just like the belly aching by Michael Bush in Oakland when he was asked to - *gasp* - play fullback for a few plays. Edited by: White Shogun

G

I'm not talking about all black quarterbacks. I'm talking about McNair and Culpepper.

I expect the same from McNabb. As soon as he can't start, he'll retire. Backup to a white guy? No chance. He already thinks he's discriminated against. What an insult to be a white player's backup.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Sorry, the "guys like" part confused me. I just thought of the first guy like Culpepper or McNair.

You are completely right about McNabb though. He'll think very highly of himself regardless of how poorly he perfoms.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
What does 'guys like' imply, if not black quarterbacks, when you say 'guys like McNair and Culpepper?' You didn't give any other basis for us to understand what you meant by that except black quarterbacks.

Besides, Culpepper said he would play backup and still nobody wanted him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White Shogun said:
What does 'guys like' imply, if not black quarterbacks, when you say 'guys like McNair and Culpepper?' You didn't give any other basis for us to understand what you meant by that except black quarterbacks.

Besides, Culpepper said he would play backup and still nobody wanted him.

Yes, the inference was black quarterbacks. Charlie Batch went from starter to backup without squawking. Leftwich initially took Culpepper's stance but circumstances forced him to eat some crow. I'm sure many white QBs feel the same way about not starting, but when the choice is between being a pro athlete and making great money as a backup, and anything else, it's not a choice at all.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Daunte is whining about not being wanted. Sure, but it has to with his rotten attitude and inability to perform. He wasn't exactly tossed out like an old shoe as his comments suggest.

From the article: And over the past few months,he tried to get any opportunity around the league, even saying just last week that he'd be willing to be Aaron Rodgers' backup in Green Bay.

There were no takers, and Culpepper saw no reason to keep waiting.

I don't think Daunte was being truthful. He wasn't willing to be a backup.

According to this report, the Packers were willing to give him a shot, but he refused.

http://www.fanhouse.com/2008/06/20/daunte-culpepper-turned-d own-packers-still-thinks-he-can-start/

Daunte Culpepper Turned Down Packers, Still Thinks He Can Start Somewhere

Some folks around the NFL are wondering why Daunte Culpepper, a former Pro Bowl quarterback, is still looking for work.

It turns out that it's because he had a job offer and turned it down. The Green Bay Press Gazette reports that after the Packers visited with three free-agent quarterbacks -- Culpepper, Quinn Gray and Gus Frerotte -- they determined that Culpepper was the best of the bunch, and offered him a one-year, $1 million contract. Culpepper turns it down. Here's the explanation:

<BLOCKQUOTE>

"Daunte's a good guy," receiver Donald Driver said, "but I guess he felt like he wanted to come in and vie for a starting spot and (the Packers) already knew who their starting quarterback was. So what do you do? They felt like if he didn't want the title to be a backup, you have to move on."

Culpepper may be a good guy, but he's also a delusional guy if he thinks there's a team out there that's going to give him its starting job. If Culpepper is willing to take a job as a backup, work hard and try to compete for playing time, he might start again some day. If not, his NFL career is over
</BLOCKQUOTE>Edited by: Bart