Germany
Greece
Iran
Lithuania
Russia
Spain
US

G

Hi guys, my first post here, though I have been reading for a few months.

As I understand it, Iran is only in because China had an automatic bid and did not participate in the Asia tournament.

My main point: Team USA is in big trouble in the Olympics.

1- We have few shooters, and don't even mention Redd, because Redd probably won't get off the bench (see 2), based on the player rotations shown in the FIBA America qualifier.

2 - Our coach sucks, bad. Coach K is NOT a good game coach. Our loss to Greece, I pin squarely on him, for not subbing in the bigger Brad Miller and Heinrich for Bosh and C. Paul, who were getting ABUSED by their larger Greece counterparts.

3 - We have no size. In the international game, where more contact down low is the rule, and tight zones are legal, size matters. We only have one center, who is not even a good ball player (also see 4). Our best center is playing for GERMANY!!!

4 - We have a number of injuries. Kobe, for example, is putting off finger surgery. Wade is coming off an injury, and our one center (D Howard) is recovering from a broken sternum! Am I missing any others?

Spain and Greece are looking very tough based on their recent games. Even Germany is a threat. Dirk can carry that team, and they are very tall and play tight defense, and with the addition of the offensive skills of Kaman, they are very dangerous. Not to mention Argentina.

I would not be surprised to see Team USA lose a couple games in pool play, to Spain, Greece, or Germany. Some very tough teams are waiting in the other pool as well.

Do you guys think a poor showing at this Olympics will finally break up the caste system in USA basketball? Will anyone notice that the blacker our teams get, the worse they seem to do?

Will anyone wonder why these White foreigners, who can torch our best players in international tournaments, never seem to get off the bench in the NBA???

Everything is on the line for Team USA this time, there can be no excuses. The entire caste-based superstar system of American basketball is on trial.

For this reason, I, for one, will be rooting for the White teams to win. Until fairness is restored to American basketball, I am rooting against the NBA.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Amen to that brother!!!
smiley32.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
The only team I hope the Americans beat is Iran.
smiley2.gif
I am rooting against them in every other game. Any loss by the American team in this Olympics is even bigger than the other losses because of the fact that Kobe, Lebron and Wade are on the team. No excuses, we are sending our best(so-called) and if we still lose..wow..what a blow that will be.

Charlie

Guru
We've sent 'our' best before (NBA MVPs Duncan and Iverson), lost, and there was no shortage of excuses. The caste system is here to stay regardless of results.

In the movie 'The Hammer' the boxing coach points out the U.S. has won one boxing gold medal in the last two Olympics. Other countries have success with whites, Asians and Maghreb Arabs. But the U.S. sticks to the 'heavy blacks/light Hispanics' model.

Do professional players resent a college coach? Would a team of blacks prefer a black coach? Now that America is unpopular does this affect officiating, even in a small way?

Is there a chance Love could be a replacement for an injured star, now that Love's on the practice squad? At the very least it would generate interest.

Bush is happy (not gay though, he couldn't be gay, Texans from Connecticut aren't gay, especially ones who use the word 'fabulous' an awful lot) with the U.S. Olympic team's diversity. Out best president ever.

When Iran plays against a team of blacks I'm supporting the Iranians. At the very least the Iranian team consists of Iranians, bushy eyebrows and rug discounts and all the rest. How many times will the U.S. team (assuming they play Iran) perform simian antics (chest thumps, hoots from the sideline, etc.) after they dunk against Iranian defenders?

white is right

Hall of Famer
I will cheer for the US against Iran because any team that looks like George Micheal and Freddy Mercury clones is a little too Village Peopleish for me..
smiley2.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
That's two very funny posts that I have read today from you, white is right. You are on a roll.

G

Ha! Unfortunately, we will not get to see such a matchup, as Iran is not in the USA's opening group, and they will not make it into the playoff round. If they lose any game by less than 20, they will probably consider it a moral victory.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I was wondering the same thing 89Glory. But it doesn't matter, the muslims interpet all their defeats as victories anyways.
smiley2.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Oh and by the way..Welcome to Caste Football 89Glory. Why did you pick that user name? What is the history behind it?

KG2422

Mentor
I'm pretty psyched about this. I wonder if I'll be able to catch all the games on the internet like last time.

G

Thanks, G301. The name is just a little bit of personal history. I tried for like two hours to think of something cool and historically meaningful, but I don't think I am that creative.... If I can find some way to give 89Glory an impressive historical reference, my story will quickly change.
smiley36.gif

KG2422, what internet feed did you use? Was it through NBA.com, LeagePass, or something else? I don't want to miss any of the opening round games either.

The fact that China is like 12 hours different than us worries me a bit...

guest301

Hall of Famer
89Glory said:
Thanks, G301.  The name is just a little bit of personal history.  I tried for like two hours to think of something cool and historically meaningful, but I don't think I am that creative....   If I can find some way to give 89Glory an impressive historical reference, my story will quickly change.   
smiley36.gif
KG2422, what internet feed did you use?  Was it through NBA.com, LeagePass, or something else?  I don't want to miss any of the opening round games either.The fact that China is like 12 hours different than us worries me a bit...

89Glory comes from your personal history huh...I am guessing that 1989 was a particulary good year for you
smiley2.gif
... I guess if rock singer Bryan Adams joined Caste Football, his user name would be "Summer of 69".. Some of you guys around here who grew up in the 80's probably remember that hit song. I have enjoyed every one of your posts so far..keep up the good work.

The 12 hour time difference with China is really going to mess up my sleep schedule but there are some events and games I don't want to miss. I especially don't want to miss the dream teams first loss.

guest301

Hall of Famer
No doubt about it. But back home in Tehran, there is no such thing as a loss or defeat. Every loss is a western imperialist plot by the Great Satan. The Iran/Angola matchup(if they play) will be a real clash of the Titans.
smiley2.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
I hope Dirk will somehow get a medal out of this(hopefully gold) because the powers that be in the NBA and the corrupt and/or incompetent officials may never allow a ring.

KG2422

Mentor
I agree. From what I've read, a medal for his country would probably mean more to him anyway. There will have to be improved guard play from the last time I saw them play for him to do that no matter how well he and Kaman play.

G

G301: Did you see that Iran just got done playing a couple games in the Rocky Mtn summer league? Apparently the wild Iranian fans were going nuts even when they were down by 20+ in the forth quarter! I love international fans. American fans are so boring, and bored, by comparison.

SALT LAKE CITY (July 21, 2008) -Iranian pride was evident before the start of this international game between the Utah Jazz and the Iranian National team, who will also represent their country in the Olympics next month in Beijing. Chants, music, and flag waving filled the area with red, white, and green... After the game ended, the Iranian team threw red roses into the crowd, and the chants, flag waving and music continued from the enthusiastic Iranian fans.
http://www.nba.com/jazz/Revue/rmr2008_day3_iranuta.html

guest301

Hall of Famer
Yes, that's a good point. Germany seems to have much more success producing athletic big men like Dirk and Detlef Schremph in particular than they have success in producing some NBA caliber guards. Even their national soccer team in comparison to other nations is fairly tall. I am not saying they can't, they just have not done it yet. Dirk loves his country and it's no suprise to me that a medal would mean more to him. If you come across a link where he stated that, let me know. If I am not his biggest fan, I am certainly in the top ten.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the link 89Glory. I read it and that just proves how awful a national team they truly are when they can't even beat a Utah Jazz summer league team full of guys who will never make a NBA roster.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
It wasn't so long ago that Italy and Argentina were getting their butts kicked by second caliber US teams.

Were they playing by international rules or NBA rules?

guest301

Hall of Famer
It's usually under FIBA rules, jaxvid. Sometimes they compromise on the rules when they play a exhibition game. The good news for Argentina is Ginobli is ok injury wise and will be playing for them in the Olympics. To my knowledge, Herrmann, Nocioni, Scola and Oberto(all NBA players) will also be playing for Argentina.Edited by: guest301

guest301

Hall of Famer
That's strange. He certainly deserves to be. Maybe it's a injury or his NBA team(Pistons?) are not allowing him to play.