mike alstott

backrow

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Someone said he got hurt in the game too, but I don't know anything about it. I saw maybe five minutes of the game. I'll check tomorrow to see what happened.

yeah he did, as he converted 3rd and 3 on a short catch... he came back from locker before half time though.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yes. Alstott had 10 rushed for 15 yards only and first Buc TD, he also had 5 catches for 42 yards.
so Gruden did use him a lot this year, and i think it was one of the factors that went huge way towards Bucs SB win.
He had 800 total yards and 7 TDs, adding other 4 rushing TDs in playoffs. unfortunately that was his last year of being used somewhat properly.

after his neck injury it was never the same, last year he had only 34 attempts, most on short conversions, although he also had 7 TDs (6 rushing).
Edited by: backrow

white is right

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
yes. Alstott had 10 rushed for 15 yards only and first Buc TD, he also had 5 catches for 42 yards.
so Gruden did use him a lot this year, and i think it was one of the factors that went huge way towards Bucs SB win.
He had 800 total yards and 7 TDs, adding other 4 rushing TDs in playoffs. unfortunately that was his last year of being used somewhat properly.

after his neck injury it was never the same, last year he had only 34 attempts, most on short conversions, although he also had 7 TDs (6 rushing).
That game Mike had obvious calls that he couldn't do much running wise. Not that he would complain or should since it was a championship game. I recall Walter Payton not being used much when the Bears won and he didn't utter a peep.

backrow

Hall of Famer
let's see if Gruden gives Mike some carries today vs Steelers...

go Mike!

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, Gruden gave him a few looks and initally it looked great, 2 runs for 11 yards but after our o-line went to sleep and there was no passing game to talk about they zeroed on him, he gained 13 yards on 6 carries plus a nice catch for 6 yards after juking (!) two defenders...

official 5000 rushing yards countdown: 4982, 18 yards to go with 4 games left on the season. i should think he makes it and hopefully he will have a big game vs Seahawks on Dec 31st what most likely will be his last game ever.

120306_alstott1_mw.jpg

So, what do you guys think? Is he hall of fame material? 5,000 yards is freakin' amazing considering the fact that the odds were against him his whole career.
Imagine what he could have done if he were given the respect and opportunities that the "affletes" get.

He gets my vote.
smiley32.gif

lumsdenpower

Mentor
I don't think he will go to HOF
But if I was his coach in all his career, he will have more yards than Bettis, that's for sure

I doubt he would get in, he might get some consideration however. It would most likely just be pure speculation, and more of a recap of his great career rather than a push for a Hall of Fame inclusion.

A FB running for 5000 yards in his career is truly amazing the way football is now. A WHITE FB running for 5000 yards is truly astounding
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Didn't Moose Johnson get in? Or am I thinking of something else?

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, he does have 70 plus total TDs, 7200 plus total yards, SB ring, 6 pro bowls in the row and lots of love from fans.

is it gonna be enough? i doubt it... the other fullbacks in HoF are from back in the day where they got their fair share of carries (Jim Brown, Bronco Nagurski etc)

white is right

Hall of Famer
It would be nice but fullbacks of fairly recent vintage with similar numbers have never been seriously considered. He may survive the cutdown to the semifinal level like Van Eeghan did but that's about the best he can do. If Van Eeghan, Podolak, Roger Craig(played half his career at fullback) aren't really being considered then he won't either. Really the best hope for him would be the veterans committee that have let in some fairly obscure oldtimers.

whiteCB

Master
When you put in perspective how little FBs now a days get to carry the ball, 5,000 yards rushing for a FB is the equivilant of a HB(who gets all the carries) rushing for at least 20,000 career yards. So if voters will take into context the era in which Alstott played in he'll get in the HOF. Being the best at your position for your era is always worthy of the HOF.

chris371

Mentor
I think they will put mike alstott in the hall of fame.

Why? To throw the white football fan a bone. To make them believe that Alstott lived up to his possibilities and didnt have his career wasted. To divert attention away from the fact that he was wasted.

whiteCB

Master
chris371 said:
I think they will put mike alstott in the hall of fame.

Why? To throw the white football fan a bone. To make them believe that Alstott lived up to his possibilities and didnt have his career wasted.  To divert attention away from the fact that he was wasted.

I don't know if Alstott will get in the hall. I think its a big question mark. Though if he does I would not rule out the reasons being that you said.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Alstott, 17 yards rush vs Falcons! that just got him over 5000 yards in his career!

so far he has 2 runs for 20 yards!
smiley32.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley9.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Awesome, the day I've been waiting for all season has finally arrived!
smiley32.gif
Now if I could just find a wife...
smiley17.gif

backrow said:
guys, check out this online petition! http://givemiketheball.com/ :D sure seems like a lot of people would love to see him in the last game of the season vs Seahawks!

Its a shame that this website was set up a little too late in his career. I hope everybody signed the petition though, I did.
smiley2.gif
Did anyone take a look at the names of the people who signed the petition? It appears to be mostly "White" sounding names with a few hispanics here and there, but I didn't see any black-sounding names on it. What a surprise.
smiley7.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
look at number 103, btw
smiley36.gif

and i agree, names mostly sound white and hispanic(although there must be quite a few blacks there)

backrow said:
look at number 103, btw
smiley36.gif

and i agree, names mostly sound white and hispanic(although there must be quite a few blacks there)

I don't know bro. I didn't see to many Jameels and Tyrones and LaDarnells on that list, did you?
smiley36.gif

backrow said:
look at number 103, btw
smiley36.gif

103. MIKE TICE.

Yeah, right. There is no way that Mr. Caste System himself, Mike "The Cro Magnon" Tice, signed that petition. In fact he's probably starting his own right now, called "DON'T Give Mike the Ball".

Btw, you guys have to admit, Mike Tice does look like he could use a few thousand more years of evolution. He's has those deep eye sockets and that thick brow-ridge forehead. He looks like a friggin' caveman, which is, ironically, how his players in Minnesota behave on their little boat trips. lol.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter said:
backrow said:
look at number 103, btw
smiley36.gif

I don't know bro. I didn't see to many Jameels and Tyrones and LaDarnells on that list, did you?
smiley36.gif
In the south a lot of good old boys have names like Tyrone and Bubba so they could still be white.......
smiley36.gif