mike alstott

mark b.

If their has ever been a victim of the caste system it has to be mike alstott. He has been relegated to just a few token carries for the better part of his career. What a waste of talent. I've always been puzzled why he didn't ask to be traded? Surely another team could use him as their primary back. He seemed to just be satisfied playing an insignificant role on a mediocre team. Now he is going to retire [maybe out of disgust] and the nfl will lose another talented white rb.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he's 32, will be 33 next year and underwent a major neck injury and took more than his share of pounding blocking for many inferior backs.

he's yet another typical white team player, humble and loved by community but ever since Gruden came, his role diminished, especially since his injury.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
If the Bucs cared for him at all, they'd let him play enough to break 5,000 yards for his career. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

backrow

Hall of Famer
i just hope that Gruden and the Buccaneers organization have enough integrity to actually let him run the ball in the very last game of already lost season - and his career, December 31st vs Seahawks, the way seniors get a thank you bow from their coaches as well. not many people in the history of this franchise have done more for them and the community so it's the least they can do.

a tribute to Mike.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mike ended up with 6 carries for 28 yards and an 8 yard catch. Thats makes him 63 yards away and 6 games left to do it in.

Brad Hoover had 7 runs for 34 yards and a catch for -3.

Heath Evans only had a 4 yard carry.

Still, thats a lot of running compared to what we have seen.

backrow

Hall of Famer
actually Mike is only 35 yards away, and at this point i have some faith of Gruden actually throwing him a bone... he has 4965 career rushing yards...

too bad he didn't get in, was inches away on 1st and 1, and second one blocking collpased and he might have lost a yard... had he scored it would have been a perfect game... he also showed what he can do when he lines up as a singleback or runs something that is not up the gut on short conversions... got 16 yards run, 2 5 yarders as well...

backrow

Hall of Famer
here's my post from Bucs boards:

1.he galvanized the offense which started off looking very flat... so it was huge contribution right there.

2. did you see hi blocks today? i was surprised and i always thought he got okay as a lead blocker. today he was more than just okay and cleared the road for Caddilac.

3. goalline - on first carry he must have been several inches out, even though line collapsed. on second one, defenders jumped over our O-Line to hit him in the backfield

4. showed he still can get the job done, when he isn't getting short yardage exclusively. Grude even run him to the outside on 3rd and 1and guess what, he got 4 instead of just usual 1 or 2. so some of that is playcalling

4. i really hope that Bucs organization and Gruden will let him get 35 yards he needs for 5K career rushing yards. i think it would be fitting, even if it vs Seahawks Dec 31st. hopefully he can get that before though

5. he i still a big part of this team. no need to hate on a guy like Alstott, who's been huge for us and TB community for so long and never complained about ANYTHING. i think we owe him as much?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That great to hear he's that close! ESPN's stats must be lagging a little, I know they are that way with college stats. He should get it easy then. Its a shame he is used so little, when he can still be so productive.

I'll see you shot for this! From the Buc's own cannon!
smiley18.gif
smiley36.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
oh. c'mon. i know he's your guilty pleasure.

wanna talk about two point conversion from last season?
smiley17.gif

Nah, how 'bout that playoff game?
smiley2.gif

Kaptain

Master
Those runs show that Alstott's skills have not diminished in the least. He also ran with a fullback lead-blocker - true power football that is completely absent in today's scat-back league. Why wouldn't a team that is so completely lost as the Bucs are wouldn't give him a chance to run the ball more is statement of the caste state of this league. The fans even want it - look how they cheered after each run.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
Those runs show that Alstott's skills have not diminished in the least. He also ran with a fullback lead-blocker - true power football that is completely absent in today's scat-back league. Why wouldn't a team that is so completely lost as the Bucs are wouldn't give him a chance to run the ball more is statement of the caste state of this league. The fans even want it - look how they cheered after each run.

both fans and his teammates... he fires everyone up!
35 yards to get in 6 games, he should be able to get it. easily. hopefull he can score another TD or 2.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i'm betting shawn springs is STILL feeling where the A-Train ran over him. ouch!
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood said:
i'm betting shawn springs is STILL feeling where the A-Train ran over him. ouch!
smiley32.gif

That's where Alstott really impresses me; I grew up watching Riggo break through the line of scrimmage, see a DB come up, lower his shoulder, and level them. Despite Alstott doing that to my team(Springs is a pretty classy guy, IMO, and very physical), I loved seeing him power through tackles. Too many backs nowadays try to fake out a defender, or just stiff arm him, instead of hitting them. With Bettis gone, and Alstott about to be, are there any true power players left in the backfield?

JD074

Master
mark b. said:
I've always been puzzled why he didn't ask to be traded? Surely another team could use him as their primary back.

Naive white loyalty.

That video was great though!
smiley32.gif

whiteCB

Master
Does anyone think that Alstott will be the last white guy to have over 5,000 rushing yards?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Maybe Brian Leonard, Kevin Harris, Kyle Bell (if he recovers) or Jared Hawkins will get a chance. they've been productive and shown great ability when given a chance, maybe Jacob Hester also. It appears to be too late now for Tre Smith to get a chance to prove himself enough in college for anti-whiteNFL Scouts. Somehow I doubt any will make it in the NFL the way Alstott did, although all of these guys are faster than Alstott although not more powerful. Kyle Bell and Kevin Harris seem to be good powerbacksalso, but Alstott is one of the great power backs of all time! He would have had a Bettis career or better if used correctly on the right team! Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

white is right

Hall of Famer
Anybody have an update on Alstott today? He was taken out of the game with a stinger or maybe bruised ribs. Funny I haven't watched Mike run in a few years and assumed he was hitting the line creakily now. He has looked as good as ever this season. I think Gruden has got his thumb out of his ass now as he is at least giving Mike some touches again.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
white is right said:
I think Gruden has got his thumb out of his ass now as he is at least giving Mike some touches again.

"some touches" in the case of Gruden when it comes to utilizing Mike Alstott has been a pitifully tiny percentage of what it could and should have been.

Warrick Dunn, who shared the carries with Alstott for several years, is still the featured back with the Falcons. Alstotthas always been strong as a bull as typifies the great white runner, and still is.

Gruden first ran out Tampa's white wide receivers, Danny Farmer, Joe Jurevicius & Co.; then Alstott was instantly and permanently demoted. During Gruden's first year in Tampa, all the team's black running backs had either left as free agents, been injured, or had been put out of action due to multiple arrests (Pittman). Gruden brought in one black running back after another to audition for the starting tailback job; he gave some lip service about Alstott being in the mix, but he never was for a second. Gruden's a Caste System punk, I'm glad he's been a failure in Tampa.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree Don. 2 carries is a paltry sum at best. I wish Gruden would get out of coaching period.

backrow

Hall of Famer
to be honest it looked as if he was gonna use Alstott a lot today, i figured at least as much as against Washington... unfortunately it all ended on 3 touches because Bucs fell behind on the second drive of the game...
he's got his 70th career TD, 57th on the ground today!
smiley32.gif

31 yards to 5K...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Someone said he got hurt in the game too, but I don't know anything about it. I saw maybe five minutes of the game. I'll check tomorrow to see what happened.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Is Gruden really considered a failure in Tampa though? He won a Super Bowl with the Bucs in '03, just three years ago. It was essentially the same team that Tony Dungy had assembled during his tenure in Tampa, but Gruden got the win that year over his former team, the Oakland Raiders.

Tampa has had only one other winning season under Gruden since then, when they made the playoffs in '05, where they were eliminated by the Redskins.

So Gruden has two winning seasons out of five in Tampa; two playoff appearances, and one Super Bowl victory. That's not too shabby.