Matt Szczur

hawkeye

Guru
Matt Szczur is a WR/RB/KR for Villanova. He is a Junior this year and is considered to be the best athlete on the team. Szczur is 5'11 195 and his numbers this year are 45 rec for 534 yards and four tds and rushing he has 86 rushes for 562 yards and 7 td. He also one of the best kick returners in all of div 1 AA. I hope he does well when nova plays App state.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
So Hawkeye is assuming that the Appalachian State victory over the Montana Grizz is all but assured, I see.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Szczur is a great player, no doubt. hawkeye, I'm hoping Montana beats App State today. App State is the least white friendly of the three teams left, having just 7 White starters (O-line and 2 WRs) and a coal black defense. Villanova has a White QB, 4 O-linemen, a WR, and a DT, DE, and both safeties.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Like I mentioned in another post Szczur is a prototypical running back. 5'11", 195#, 4.31 40, 4.12 shuttle, 30" vertical. Of course, CaucasionRivals rated him NO STARS. A black back with those measurables would have been a 5-star+ prospect with 100 offers.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I was really impressed with Matt Szczur("Caesar") last night. He showed outstanding speed on the long TD run, and he also showed his toughness when blocking on some plays and making a special teams stop.

I hope we see him on Sundays down the road, and I mean as a WR and not a special teams demon.Edited by: Van_Slyke_CF

hawkeye

Guru
Sorry the reporter on Foxsports.com said that Nova was playing App state in the championship. I guess they felt that Montana being a pretty white team had no chance.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
hawkeye said:
Sorry the reporter on Foxsports.com said that Nova was playing App state in the championship. I guess they felt that Montana being a pretty white team had no chance.

I wouldn't be surprised by anything from a member of today's media.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

qj

Guru
He was the man in the championship game against my Griz. He belongs in the NFL but "he play white."

devans

Mentor
I saw that game, and he won it practically single handed. He was unstoppable - it was amazing Edited by: devans

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here is some news on what Matt is doing now with the Villanova baseball team. He's tearing it up, like we would expect from such a phenomenal athlete:

Matt Szczur went a perfect 5-5 at the plate with four runs scored and drove in five RBI as he lead the Villanova Wildcats to a 17-10 victory over cross-town rival Temple. In his first two at-bats, he hit two doubles before adding a triple, a two run-homer, and a seventh inning single to complete the cycle. Szczur is currently leading the team in hitting with a .439 batting average while hitting two homers and driving in 33 runs. Szczur was a FCS All-American in football in the fall and is expected to lead the Wildcats on the gridiron in the 2010 season also.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I hope he picks football over baseball. Unlike Blake Smolen (another all purpose phenom) Szczur is starting to have his draft stock rise- especially after his dazzling performance in the FCS championship game. NFLdraftscout has him ranked as a drafted player (I believe in the mid rounds). He could do in the NFL what Dexter McCluster is going to be given the opportunity to do- without the caste system.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I have my doubts about him choosing football over baseball, especially considering the love he's been getting from MLB organizations. Even though he is a spectacular athlete, his dysfunctional skin condition is a big negative in the eyes of the "talent evaluators" and DWF's. It would be sad to see yet another outstanding white player marginalized ala David Woodhead in order to appease the majority black players on the team, as stated so eloquently by J.B. Cash.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
I have my doubts about him choosing football over baseball, especially considering the love he's been getting from MLB organizations. Even though he is a spectacular athlete, his dysfunctional skin condition is a big negative in the eyes of the "talent evaluators" and DWF's. It would be sad to see yet another outstanding white player marginalized ala David Woodhead in order to appease the majority black players on the team, as stated so eloquently by J.B. Cash.

Sadly NFLdraftscout has him as the 27th best receiver for 2011. He could be a dynamic receiver and kick returner in the NFL with his phenomenal speed.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I can't blame him if he goes the baseball route even though I imagine most or all of us would prefer to see him try and crack the NFL. Being from Villanova, in the best case scenario he will have a very extended racial apprenticeship with only a small chance of ever becoming a starter if he chooses the NFL.

Truthteller

Mentor
This is the same round the Cubs selected Jeff Samarzidja (sp?) a couple years ago. At the time, it seemed Jeff made a idiotic choice, probably spurred on by a corrupt agent that wanted the immediate cash from the Cubs' bonus. Even Jeff's dad said he was "shocked" he son chose baseball over his better sport.

No doubt Jeff should've stayed with football, as he was projected as a lock latter first-round/early second pick, which pretty much assured he'd get a chance to be, at least, a Joe Jureivicius (sp?) type in the NFL.In baseball, he was a just another live arm (they are a dime a dozen in the minors), struggling to make the show.He was an All-American in football, but just a mediocre pitcher in college baseball with "great potential". No doubt he was wildly overhyped by the Cubs due to his football prowess. Aaron Heilman was ten times betterat ND (a poor baseball school)than the the Shark and he's been a journeyman MLB pitcher, at best.

I agree this kid from Nova should strongly consider giving up football for baseball. Look at the last draft, where converted QB's from scrub schools like UAB and Applachian State went almost as a high (or ahead of) the likes of provenbig school stars Shipley, Decker and Cooper. If those guys are so devauled on draft weekend, what will happen to a "short" small-school kid, whose considered a hybrid tailback/wide receiver?

Perhaps a tryout with Eagles, and few seasons on the Bears practice squad?

TwentyTwo

Master
I don't want him to play baseball...but can't blame him...I saw theNFL 5th round projection too....Decker, Cooper, Gerhart, Locker, etc all are baseball prospects...almost like a safety net/Plan B if football doesn't work.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jeff Samardzija was a very talented receiver who played for Notre Dame a few years ago. He also chose baseball over football. It was probably a wise choice as he would have been screwed over by the NFL anyway.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno about that, I'll bet in retrospect The Shark would have chosen football seeing as his baseball career isn't going anywhere. Football was his best sport and he likely would have been a second round draft choice and after serving his racial apprenticeship eventually would been given a shot as an "Ed McCaffrey type."

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
He's only 25 at this point. He could still try out for a team but he'd be a long shot to make an active roster because he's been out of football for a while now. He would have made more money in the NFL as well. I also notice he had a terrible 8.10 ERA pitching for the Iowa Cubs.
Edited by: whiteathlete33