Matic Osovnikar

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wow. Good find StarWars. How did I miss that? I need to write him. Matic will return emails guys to almost anyone when he has the time. I have some autographed cards/pics of him as well. He is one hell of a nice guy. They don't come much friendlier that Matic. I really hope he can peak again for Berlin. People forget that he made the 100 meters finals at the last World Championships in 2007. I would love to see him do it again as this is probably his last go around. Good luck Matic!

StarWars

Mentor
Everybody always forgets about him, even us sometimes. Nice guys don't get attention these days. His times may seem inconsistent, but he always brings it for the big meets. 2006 and 2007 were his best years, and even 2008 was not bad. Although he usually has one to two good races per year, he gets his timing right. His national championships are this weekend as well, and I expect something around 10.2.

Watch out for Dariusz Kuc and Paul Hession too. And obviously the Italians. The national championships should make for some good PRs.

Cletus

I would actually take this one step further and say he is the most successful white sprinter in twenty years (100m I mean). First white sprinter to make the world championship final in over twenty years ('87). None of the white sprinters with great times have performed at the highest levels of track and field that I know of. Pickering, Cerutti, Collio, Kevin Little, Unger, etc, etc have not reached the finals in the world championship or Olympics.

I'm sure that may change in the '09 WC with Lemaitre or Guliyav, but I give Osoviknar the most respect because he pulled it off at the highest level.

StarWars

Mentor
Unger has made the finals several times in the 200, in both the WC and Olympic Games. Obviously, Kenteris won the gold in Sydeny in the 200. I agree. Matic has been the fastest white in the 100m in a while at big meets. 10.15 in Athens too. One of the fastest white men ever. We just seem to forget about him. The 400 meter has been our staple event lately, with gold and silver medals by Wariner in the past Olympics. Our 100 and 200 future looks good with Lemaitre and Guliyev. In the 60 we are looking very solid too.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Cletus said:
I would actually take this one step further and say he is the most successful white sprinter in twenty years (100m I mean). First white sprinter to make the world championship final in over twenty years ('87). None of the white sprinters with great times have performed at the highest levels of track and field that I know of. Pickering, Cerutti, Collio, Kevin Little, Unger, etc, etc have not reached the finals in the world championship or Olympics.

I'm sure that may change in the '09 WC with Lemaitre or Guliyav, but I give Osoviknar the most respect because he pulled it off at the highest level.

Just for the record Kevin Little was World Indoor Champion at the 200m in 1997.
He came in the 7th at World Championships in the 200m in 1999.
He had bests of 10.14, 20.10, and 45.88.
No disrespect to Osovnikar, but I rank Little as the superior sprinter.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Matic defended his title as Slovenias fastest man yesterday running a 10.22 wind aided. Not the kind of time he was hoping for. He only finished 3rd in the 200 today running a 20.85! Kolkavic won with Jan Zumer 2nd. They where all bunched together. It was a very good race. The good news is that Matic is healthy and still feels he can do well in Berlin. With this probably being his last major championships, I hope he can at least make it to the semis. Good luck Matic.

chrisp728

I'd agree with Cletus. There's a lot of talk, and occasional fast times in unimportant races, but making the 100m final of a world champs/Olympics is something special. The 200m, and indoor events, are all well and good, but the 100 is the real blue riband event, the one which everyone looks forward to: pure speed as opposed to stamina and bend technique.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Matic is not even on par talent wise with guys like Lemaitre and Guliyev. So if he can make the finals, we know the young guys can as well. I agree with both Cletus and chisp728. Matic has had a solid career. He may have not hit the highest levels, but he still has been a joy to watch for the last decade. The finals berth and the Euro Outdoor Champs Bronze Medal are his hi lites.