Malignaggi

Sad about Paulie getting beat up but I actually like Amir Khan. He's down to earth and respectful in spite of all the hype around him. That's very impressive for a fighter at his age, because most over hyped young athletes get full of themselves really quickly. He also portrays himself to be British first when he could probably get more attention by acting like a ghetto Paki playing the race card about how he's an "oppressed minority". If more British-Pakistanis looked to him as a role model it would to wonders.

That said I noticed half of the Khan Army thugs at the weigh-in seemed to be White British dudes. I LOL'd at British hooligans teaming up with Pakis to gang up on the NYC Guidos. Paulie should have brought the cast of Jersey Shore to back him up
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Guest

Blue Devils

Mentor
Bad loss for Paulie. I thought he would use the ring more and make Khan pursue him. Instead he stood right in front of Khan and was beaten to the punch all night long.

Paulie's promoter Lou Dibella mentioned he's considering retiring.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Paulie was a courageous guy. I will never forget that fight with heavy handed/prime Cotto fight. Paulie would never submit. Like I said before, too bad that Paulie did not possess game changing power. He had some great fights like when he beat that South African Affelet(can't remember his name right now)and the two Diaz fights which he won both.

It appeared in his interview with Max that he came off as a true White New Yorker, rather than a wigger. Paulie was a master boxer at his peak. If I am him, give up boxing and be a color analyist.

Westside said:
Lost do you mean Bob Foster? He was a early 70s version of Tommy Hearns yeah back then all the big celebrity announcer always fawned over Ali even though matched against small Lt Heavies. Can u image how they would condem Wlad if he fought Chad Dawson.
No, There was a Mac and a Bob Foster in the 70's Bob was the bigger of the two.. I would like to do somthing on CF exposing the socalled "Great" 70's!!On most of the boxing sites it's a sin to say today's heavyweights are anything but the worst in history! The only thing worse, Is to say the 70's sucked!Edited by: lost

ww

Guru
"On most of the boxing sites it's a sin to say today's heavyweights are anything but the worst in history! "

In reality today's heavyweights are the best in history - the biggest and the strongest, and heavyweight boxing today is far more international in scope and more of a real world championship than it was in the days of Cassius Clay alias M. Ali.  Clay wasn't even able to legitimately defeat guys weighing in the mid-180's, like Henry Cooper (fight 1) and Doug Jones and even Alonzo Johnson  without the aid of crooked judges and fixed up gloves and the like.  What could he possibly do against one of the K brothers except try to run away?

ww

JD074

Master
Westside said:
When watching Khan and Pualie in the fight, Khan appeared to be a Welterweight and Pualie appeared to be a lightweight. Bottom line Khan is significantly bigger.

I agree. Khan was the much, much bigger man, regardless of the stats (which are dubious, anyway.)

j41181

Master
lost said:
Westside said:
Lost do you mean Bob Foster? He was a early 70s version of Tommy Hearns yeah back then all the big celebrity announcer always fawned over Ali even though matched against small Lt Heavies. Can u image how they would condem Wlad if he fought Chad Dawson.
No, There was a Mac and a Bob Foster in the 70's Bob was the bigger of the two.. I would like to do somthing on CF exposing the socalled "Great" 70's!!On most of the boxing sites it's a sin to say today's heavyweights are anything but the worst in history! The only thing worse, Is to say the 70's sucked!
People forget that Ali fought garbage bums like Chuck Wepner, and Richard Dunn. Joe Bugner was his white counterpart who enjoyed doing hit and run tactics. I still say he also got lucky against Foreman, whom he unfairly never gave a rematch. There's also the issue of Ali and his brothers never facing a fighter behind the Iron Curtain. Ali did spar with 3 Soviet HW's and he easily mauled each of them (according to witnesses). As for saying the 70's was the worst era for the HW division, I wouldn't go that far. The people of that era (including my old man) will always claim they've experience and witnessed the presence of greatness. The same people (and my old man too) that now say that today's HW's are the worst ever, and I don't blame them. The root to this blindness is lack of exposure and depravity.

With exception to the Vitali-Arreola fight, there's been hardly any major HW fight in the US in the last few years. While the division is flourishing in Europe (Germany in particular), it's virtually non-existent in the US, which is IMO, is still the premier boxing venue in the world. Until the powers behind US boxing (HBO in particular) start being more open-minded and start telecasting big fights from Europe (where boxing is at it's best for now), many people outside Europe will consider the HW division a big joke.

j41181 said:
lost said:
Westside said:
No, There was a Mac and a Bob Foster in the 70's Bob was the bigger of the two.. I would like to do somthing on CF exposing the socalled "Great" 70's!!On most of the boxing sites it's a sin to say today's heavyweights are anything but the worst in history! The only thing worse, Is to say the 70's sucked!
People forget that Ali fought garbage bums like Chuck Wepner, and Richard Dunn. Joe Bugner was his white counterpart who enjoyed doing hit and run tactics. I still say he also got lucky against Foreman, whom he unfairly never gave a rematch. There's also the issue of Ali and his brothers never facing a fighter behind the Iron Curtain. Ali did spar with 3 Soviet HW's and he easily mauled each of them (according to witnesses). As for saying the 70's was the worst era for the HW division, I wouldn't go that far. The people of that era (including my old man) will always claim they've experience and witnessed the presence of greatness. The same people (and my old man too) that now say that today's HW's are the worst ever, and I don't blame them. The root to this blindness is lack of exposure and depravity.

With exception to the Vitali-Arreola fight, there's been hardly any major HW fight in the US in the last few years. While the division is flourishing in Europe (Germany in particular), it's virtually non-existent in the US, which is IMO, is still the premier boxing venue in the world. Until the powers behind US boxing (HBO in particular) start being more open-minded and start telecasting big fights from Europe (where boxing is at it's best for now), many people outside Europe will consider the HW division a big joke.
It's amazing the power of the media! It's like a cold, As hard as you may try, You'll get a cold every few years, It will get you some time! The propaganda of the media is powerful, Even to the open minded..If a lie is repeated over and over, It will pull you in a little as hard as you try not to be pulled in! Just try watching a big fight from the 70's with the sound turned off, The 70's sucked! But the media made them out to be fighting behemoth's. Cosell would say "That norton is reientless!" "Forman is un-stop-a-ble!!!!