Malignaggi

Westside

Hall of Famer
I just posted another thread regarding the robbery that took place tonight. I couldn't find this one. YES he was robbed on the scorecards tonight. I had him winning by 2 or 3 points. Everyone watching at home or at the areana knows that Pauli won. I am sure he will get more meaniful fights, but this crooked deicision will cost him in future money paid.

Blue Devils

Mentor
The right guy won!

From Fightnews

Junior welterweight Paulie Malignaggi (27-3, 5 KOs) gained revenge against Juan Diaz (35-3, 17 KOs), taking a twelve round unanimous decision on Saturday night at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. All three judges scored it 116-111. Malignaggi was erroneously credited with a knockdown in round ten by referee Gino Rodriguez. Diaz had won a controversial decision over Malignaggi in August.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Vitali and Paulie winnig tonite. Still pissed a out The screwing Toby got. t least tonite is not total loss.

j41181

Master
Paulie ain't my favorite fighter, but I can't question he's one of the better white fighters in the lighter weight classes (along with Darchinyan).

Anyway, congrats to Paulie's revenge win!
smiley20.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping Paulie can win this fight. It will be very tough as Khan is a good fighter but I think he's a bit over rated.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Wow! Hopefully they bring that passion into tommorrow night's fight. I think these two are both highly skilled fighters. Both are evenly matched, however, Khan has more power. Pauli has almost none. Both are at a crossroad. The winner on to bigger fights and paydays. The loser has to start all over again.

Hoping Pauli can win.

The Hock

Master
Well, just a few hours away. Two fast guys, one hard punching but maybe soft chinned, the other with few KOs but with a proven chin.

I'd have to call Paulie the underdog, but man if he can just down on a punch and find that same spot Prescott found...

Blue Devils

Mentor
I give Paulie a good shot tonight. Most of Khan's opponent stood right in front of him. Even Kotelnik who's a boxer like Paulie but more of a stationary boxer. He's never fought anybody who can use the ring like Paulie can. Amir has fast hands but he has to be set to punch. He can't punch on the move like Paulie IMO. That's something Paulie can take advantage of tonight.

Westside

Hall of Famer
It looks like last night was Paulie's last time on HBO. Khan pretty much owned him. Khan was quicker, stronger and bigger that Paulie. Paulie's only chance was to catch Khan coming with a well placed power shot. But Paulie doesn't have that game changing power. He looked old and lacked the quickness he usaully has.

I see good things for the British Paki. Khan comes off as a well mannered Brit. He has a great jab and better than average power. I have nothing bad to say about him. I look forward to his next match against an American Affelet or a hard punching Columbian. Congrats to Amir, I wish Paulie had won, but was bested by a potential new star. Oh well.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Paulie couldn't do anything because of the height and reach of Khan. Every time Paulie hit Khan he was still in range for counters and when he was on the defensive Khan could reach him but Paulie could never reach without stepping in to fire. After 6 rounds of this Paulie was too weak to fight his high energy style.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
Paulie couldn't do anything because of the height and reach of Khan. Every time Paulie hit Khan he was still in range for counters and when he was on the defensive Khan could reach him but Paulie could never reach without stepping in to fire. After 6 rounds of this Paulie was too weak to fight his high energy style.

Khan is only an inch taller and his reach is only an inch more than Paulie's. That wasn't the case at all.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
white is right said:
Khan is only an inch taller and his reach is only an inch more than Paulie's.  That wasn't the case at all.

Yes, Max Kellerman was rooting against the Muslim Amir Khan and kept going on about some non-existant huge size advantage. You are correct, there's was only about a 1" height and a 1" reach advantage.

It was ironic that only white fighter I've ever seen Max Kellerman root for is the only white boxer I don't really like. I didn't really care who won last night, but credit to the obviously talented Amir Khan for a nearly flawless performance.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I saw the British feed. I didn't have the chance to see Max at his err finest. From observation Khan seemed about 2 inches taller with a significant reach advantage. Granted Paulie tends to make himself smaller at times and Khan fights extremely tall for a 140 pounder. I will post again when I get a copy of the US call. I just saw the tale of the tape and Khan was listed at 5'10" and Paulie at 5'7" and the reach was 1.5 inches longer for Khan. Note they used the new way of measuring instead of the old arms out to the side similar to football warm up exercises. Edited by: white is right

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Boxrec statistics have Khan at 5'10" and Malignaggi at 5'8 1/2"

So just a 1.5" difference.

It shows Khan's reach as 71" and Malignaggi's as 70".

So only a 1" difference.

To put this in perspective, Lennox Lewis had a 14" reach advantage over David Tua, an 8" reach advantage over Tommy Morrison and a 4" reach advantage over Vitali Klitschko.

Rocky Marciano was at a 6" reach disadvantage with Ezzard Charles, a 7" reach disadvantage with Joe Walcott and an 8" reach disadvantage with Archie Moore.

Tomasz Adamek was at a 7" reach disadvantage with Steve Cunningham and still floored him 3 times.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Parody

Parody said:
Boxrec statistics have Khan at 5'10" and Malignaggi at 5'8 1/2"

So just a 1.5" difference.

It shows Khan's reach as 71" and Malignaggi's as 70".

So only a 1" difference.

To put this in perspective, Lennox Lewis had a 14" reach advantage over David Tua, an 8" reach advantage over Tommy Morrison and a 4" reach advantage over Vitali Klitschko.

Rocky Marciano was at a 6" reach disadvantage with Ezzard Charles, a 7" reach disadvantage with Joe Walcott and an 8" reach disadvantage with Archie Moore.

Tomasz Adamek had a 7" reach disadvantage over Steve Cunningham and still floored him 3 times.
smiley1.gif
I recall ali had a 12" advantage over Quarry...

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
lost said:

Yes, that's another good example of a significant reach advantage.

Cassius Clay had a longer wingspan and arms than all his opponents as far as I know. The commentators like Howard Cosell never bitched about it like the Kellermans and Greismans of today constantly bitch about Wlad's height advantage over some of his opponents. Edited by: Parody

Westside

Hall of Famer
When watching Khan and Pualie in the fight, Khan appeared to be a Welterweight and Pualie appeared to be a lightweight. Bottom line Khan is significantly bigger. Khan walked into ring at 154 lbs and Pualie just a 144 lbs. Just an observation. Too bad Pualie has no power to rescue him in his big fights

Parody said:
lost said:

Yes, that's another good example of a significant reach advantage.

Cassius Clay had a longer wingspan and arms than all his opponents as far as I know. The commentators like Howard Cosell never bitched about it like the Kellermans and Griesmans of today constantly bitch about Wlad's height advantage over some of his opponents.
Remember Ali vs mac foster?? Poor foster was 179lb,Ali 221, And cosell [with that dead rat on his head for a toupee!] Would just talk about how great Ali looked.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Lost do you mean Bob Foster? He was a early 70s version of Tommy Hearns yeah back then all the big celebrity announcer always fawned over Ali even though matched against small Lt Heavies. Can u image how they would condem Wlad if he fought Chad Dawson.