Kobe Bryant

JD074

Master
Kaptain Poop said:
Would any white player, no matter how athletic, be allowed to shot the ball 46 times? That's the main reason you won't see a white player score 81, JD.

If Dirk were on fire wouldn't they let him shoot 46 times? But unlike Bryant, Dirk is not a "well-paid and popular black ball hog," so I highly doubt that will ever happen.

On the other hand, Dirk is a big guy and someone needs to get him the ball. A guy like Bryant will just take the ball and do whatever he wants with it. And it is true that we don't have any white Kobe Bryant's or Tracy McGrady's or Allen Iverson's in the league. Of course one can interpret that as a good or bad thing. I personally would like to see a white shooting guard like that, but that seems like a remote possibility for now. White players just don't play like that. We know that they're good shooters, and we know that many of them are athletic, but they don't have that specific makeup, in terms of their upbringing, style of play, mentality, opportunities to play that way in high school and DI, etc. I have to assume that college coaches aren't looking for white Bryant's and McGrady's; like football coaches, they don't think that white players like that exist, and aren't going to waste their time looking for them.

Edited by: JD074

guest301

Hall of Famer
I think Brent barry had the size (6-7) and athletic ability (slam dunk champion) to be a Tracy McGrady but didn't have the personality and was certainly never given a chance to be that kind of player.