Johan Wissman

white lightning

Hall of Famer
There was a 1-2 USA Finish at the 2005 World Champs of Track & Field. Wariner won and Andrew Rock finished 2nd. Rock came from out of nowhere down the back stretch. Tyler Chrisotpher of Canada finished 3rd. He is mixed. It wasn't really close. Wariner killed them but it was great to see Rock get the silver and whites go gold & silver at the highest level in the world. We can sprint! Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAZdjEHDaEEEdited by: white lightning

Observer

Mentor
white lightning said:
There was a 1-2 USA Finish at the 2005 World Champs of Track & Field. Wariner won and Andrew Rock finished 2nd. Rock came from out of nowhere down the back stretch. Tyler Chrisotpher of Canada finished 3rd. He is mixed. It wasn't really close. Wariner killed them but it was great to see Rock get the silver and whites go gold & silver at the highest level in the world. We can sprint! Here is the link.
And Great Britain's Tim Benjamin took 5th in that same race. Michael Johnson actually wrote a pretty nice article about that race, calling it a "sea change", and that it would be good for the sport.
The four fastest 400m relay splits at the last Olympics were by white runners.

albinosprint

Mentor
we need rock to bring his A game this year. I would like to see JW, Rock and Boase sweep the trials this year. I know I have a better chance of winning the lottery, but I can dream can't I?

StarWars

Mentor
Ya, he had a good run. It is now up to Boase, Wissman, Wariner, Rooney, and a couple other young stars.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
It's most important that Wariner get back on top.
Boase has a lot of potential, and Rooney will continue to improve. I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out this summer.

StarWars

Mentor
Wariner has just ran a 20.30. That is the fastest he has racced in a while, and if he can get anywhere close to his 20.19 PR one month from now in Eugene, which I think he will, then he will be set up to break 43.50 again this year. Merritt is maxed out at 43.70 in my opinion, and will be lucky to get close to that in Berlin. At the pace Merrit is improving, he won't even break 44.

Jeremy is a veteran sub 43.50 runner and now has Clyde Hart has his coach. He has never lost a world championship, and never not won the gold with Hart as a coach in any competition. He is again, unbeatable.

I don't even feel I am jinxing Wariner by saying this. he never gets hurt, he is always fast, and Merritt knows he's done for. Wariner has a good chance of getting the record soon, and my guess is within the next 3 years.Edited by: StarWars

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
You know fellows, this may be a bit off-base here, but some of my wife's friends are from Sweden (she attends fashion design school), and these Swedish women are TOTALLY aware of who Wissman is, and have admirable attitudes toward him (and the white athletes in general). According to one of them, he's a sort of national figure over there.

They also seem to really enjoy salted fish dishes, and any kind of music so long as it's some annoying, Euro-trance type beat
smiley36.gif

But yeah, I don't know where the heck the American media gets off on this fascination with interracial couples crap (I think it's largely an invention and wishful thinking by cultural Marxists), because talking to these foreign European fashion students (who are as liberal as can get, and into trends, pop-culture, etc.) they seem a bit racist toward brown and black people, and incredibly proud of their own Nordic heritage. From speaking with them in conversation with my own wife (who's Italian-American, like I am), it seems like this Eurocentric attitude isn't limited to their own little group, but indicative of a wider belief set.

They seem particularly annoyed by Indians, Turks, and Chinese people.

StarWars

Mentor
Wissman ran a 20.5 with no wind yesterday.http://www.venizelia.gr/venizelia/2009/200m.htm

He is improving in the 200 meter faster than Wariner. Wissman will run the 200 4 more times this season, and will hopefully lower the Swedish record and his own PB of 20.30. He is on pace to run 20.0x or 20.1x. That would be awesome. There is always an outside chance of a sub 20. Wariner too.

Wissman will run the 400 this week.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I see 20.10 - 20.20 or so but I hope he goes beyond that. Sweden sure does produce some really great athletes including the Worlds Greatest Heptathalon Competitor ever in C.Kluft. She is moving to the the long jump now. She was untouchable in the heptathalon.

Good luck to Wissman this summer. Nothing like seeing the blonde bullet fly down the track. He kind of reminds me of the comic book hero the flash.Edited by: white lightning

StarWars

Mentor
On June 9th he will run a 400m in Goteberg. He ran 45.89 indoors, so I'd say he will be around low 45s outdoors to start the season. I hope he lowers the Swedish NR a little more in both the 200m and 400m.

StarWars

Mentor
Hmmmm. He ran 46.24 in the 400 today. I'm not sure if he's a slow starter to his season, if he's hurt, or if it was just a bad race. Odd.

He's run 20.50 in the 200 this year already so maybe he should do the deuce this year. He also ran 45.89 indoors.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wissman will be running this Sunday in Berlin. Let's hope he bounces
back with a really fast time. He seems to love the pressure of running
against the best guys in the big meets. I think he will do just fine.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
off topic, but white lightning please check your PMs. i sent you one.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Not a great race from Wissman. I am not too hopeful for his season now.
Maybe he should move back down to the 200m. He seems to be doing better at that event this season.
Meanwhile no news from Martyn Rooney. What happened to him?

albinosprint

Mentor
he looked terrible today. I think he is suffering from to long of a season. he should not run indoors next year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I hope he does good this weekend. He is representing Sweden in the Euro Team Cup Challenge and he will run the 200 & 400 meters. Come on Johan Wissman. He should just have Carolina Kluft wear roller blades and skate in front of him or the Kallur sisters. That will make any man run faster!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Maybe Wissman should go back to the 200m. He hasn't progressed in the 400m as expected, and he ran 20.56 yesterday even though he has been concentrating on the 400m all year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree with you. He is built more like a traditional 200 guy anyway. He has a better chance of approaching the 20 second barrier than for him to ever go into the 43 second range. I'm still hoping that Wissman will inspire more kids from there to take up sprinting in larger numbers. They have produced some exceptional athletes from a very small country.

freedom1

Mentor
Good article on T&F News.

Sweden's Wissman lays down the gauntlet

Tag it:

Johan Wissman wants to go one better than the silver medal he won at the
2006 European Athletics Championships when he competes in Barcelona this
summer.
Sweden's Johan Wissman took the 2006 European Athletics Championships 200m silver medal in front of an ecstatic home crowd in Göteborg four years ago and so nothing less than gold will suffice in Barcelona this summer.

"I'm going there to win," said the 28-year-old who, after winning the 2001 European Athletics Junior Championships 400m silver medal has moved back to competing over one lap of the track since 2007.

"The body feels good and I look forward to a new season with the European Athletics Championships in Barcelona as its main objective and, because I chose not to compete during the indoor season this year, I am extra motivated."

Wissman is the reigning European indoor champion over 400m, having won the first major gold medal of his career in Torino last year, but had to give this year's indoor season a miss as he was still recovering from a hamstring injury suffered last summer.

He will make his 2010 debut in Daegu, South Korea, on 19 May and has been training in the Portuguese resort of Albufeira - coincidently the venue for the 2010 SPAR European Cross Country Championships on 12 December - for the past week in preparation for his trip to Asia.

Wissman set his 400m personal best of 44.56 - which makes him the 10th fastest European ever - in the semi-finals of the 2007 World Championships in Osaka and went on to finish seventh in the final.

He also made the 2008 Olympic Games 400m final but last summer was marred with injury problems and he didn't start his World Championships semi-final.

"Last summer, unfortunately, didn't go as I had hoped. I was struggling with injuries throughout the season. Mentally, it has been very heavy. For me, it was definitely the toughest period of my career.

In order to freshen up his brain as well as let his body recover, Wissman changed his training base this winter from his home town of Helsingborg to the Swedish capital Stockholm.

Wissman believes that the change of scenery will reap its benefits. "It was unbelievably good for me to make this change. I feel revived and I have so much more motivation and energy from the new environment," he added.

His recovery means that the 2010 European Athletics Championships 400m will be an even more hotly contested event and confirms that Team Europe should be able to field a very strong men's 4x400m relay team at the IAAF /VFB Bank Continental Cup in Split, Croatia, on 4-5 September.

In addition to Wissman, Ireland's David Gillick, France's Leslie Djhone, Great Britain's Martyn Rooney and the rapidly improving Russian Anton Kokorin should all be in contention for medals in Barcelona and places in Team Europe.

Swede

I know that there is no big reason to put up this thread. If nothing drastically happens in the feature I won´t do it again. I just want to tell you the story of Johan Wissman and why he doesnt run fast anymore.
Not surprisingly its due to injury problems. At the moment its the hamstring, but he had problems since 2008. That year he were hardly able to race for a long period, before getting fit just in time for the olympics, were he reached the final with a 44,64.

Perhaps he got his best years behind him know (hope not). In the Euros he will concentrate on the 200, because he is not fit for the 400 (his own words).

Maybe he reach the final, We´ll just see.
I can tell you a lot of his past, and how media have discribed him in Sweden, but I can not tell you much about his future, except that he is still on the track.

ps. Susanna Kallur is injured and wont start in the Euros