Johan Wissman

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Johan Wissman is back in fine form.He won a 200 meters
race in Sweden in a fine time of 20.46 with a legal wind.
He won the European Indoor Silver Medal just two years ago
and seems to be back to form.This is great news with the
World Champs next month.Sweeden has quite a few athletes
that will challenge for medals.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Johan won the race today in Germany.He ran from the outside lane and still ran a 20.73! That is only 2/100ths of a second of the world lead.He continues to get better with age.I expect him to get into the very low 20 second range outdoors by summer and maybe even better if everything goes right.

freedom1

Mentor
Wissman to target long sprint in Birmingham
08 February 2007
European Athletics 200 metres silver medallist Johan Wissman scored a notable 200 metres win in the fastest time in Europe this winter with 20.73 Sparkassen Cup Indoor Meeting in Stuttgart on Saturday 3 February.

Sweden's Johan Wissman aiming for the 400m in Birmingham.
With 200 metres no longer in the indoor programme, the Swedish sprint star is planning to run the 400 metres at next month's European Indoor Championships in Birmingham.

"I am really satisfied with my race in Stuttgart especially because only this winter I started training seriously for the 400 metres. I want to have fun trying a new event. This is my goal this year in both Birmingham and the World Championships in Osaka", confirmed Wissman.

"I am training harder. To run fast in the 400 metres I need running faster in the 200 metres".

"I will try the 400 metres in two meetings in Birmingham on 17 February and in Stockolm on 20 February. Before the European Indoor Championships I am planning to contest the 200 metres at the National Indoor Championships", said Wissman.

Wissman came to the fore in March 2004 when he clinched a surprising World indoor silver in the 200 metres in Budapest. But perhaps his greatest day came last summer when he won the European silver medal in the 200 metres behind European 100 and 200 metres champion and 2006 European Athlete of the year Francis Obikwelu from Portugal on home soil in Gothenburg.

The Swede smashed the national record to 20.38 in the 200 metres European semi-final thrilling the enthusiastic crowd. Later in the same evening Wissman repeated this feat clocking exactly the same time to win the European silver medal.

"It was a huge satisfaction. I had focused on the European Championships in Gothenburg for five years. Everything worked perfectly that day. Achieving something on which I had focused for a long time gave me an amazing feeling", recalls Wissman about last summer's European Championships in the Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg.

Wissman is set to add his name to the prestigious list of names who may transform the European Athletics Indoor Championships in Birmingham into a Swedish affair together with Susanna Kallur, Carolina Klüft, Stefan Holm and Kajsa Bergqvist.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Johan ran an excellent 20.32 in Norway today to win the 200m at the Bislett Games.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I really wish that Johan would stick with the 200 meters as his main event.I know the Americans and their times are intimidating but so is guys like Wariner and others in the 400.He has said several times recently that he plans to give up running the deuce and move up to the 400.I really think this would be a mistake.Wissman and Unger are the two best european 200 meter guys at the moment.Unless some new guys step up like Beyens & others,we won't have any of our guys running against the big boys.Let's hope he changes his mind.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Johan ran a great 45.12 (Swedish record) at a meet in Sweden today.
He just started running this event seriously, so I'm sure with a iittle more training he will go under 45 when he gets into a meet with some serious competition.
I can't wait to see what he does. At the same time, it will be a shame if he gives up on the 200m. He was the fastest white 200m man in Europe last year.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He and his coaches probably decided that 400 meters was more open for him to final. With 3 US runners running sub 19.7 times and Bolt and others finaling would be tough. Not that the 400 meters is a piece of cake though.....
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white is right

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I read that the conditions in this meet were cold and wet. The report on the meet said that Wissman's time, "has a considerably higher intrinsic value than what the plain numbers indicate."

Wissman just finished 3rd in 45.12, tying his best for the year. This guy has
44.6 potential for this season once he really learns to run the race. You can
see he's a bit inexperienced in the event but has awesome potential down
the line for both the 200 and 400. Strong looking guy, he just didn't really
run with a plan, you could see it. He's got "the skillz". BTW - you can watch
the Golden League meets live - streaming - at www.sportnet.com. I'm
watching the Rome right now:
http://www.sportnet.com/stream_iaaf_rome2007.html

G

He should definitely run both the 200 and 400. He should not give up on the 200. And he can go 44 in the 400.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Johan ran a 100 today in a time of 10.54 and then soon after won the 200 meters in 20.39! A new seasons best time.There wasn't much of a wind. He had no one pushing him and he was a little tired from the earlier race.I still think that the 200 is his best event.He just really needs to work on his starts.It takes him a while to get up to speed.With a better start he could get down into the 20.15 range i.m.o.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wissman ran in the mid to high 44 second range 3 times in the World Championships in only his first year of him running this distance. Imagine what he can do with the proper training. The sky just might be the limit.He is still young and should be a factor at the olympics next year. Congrats to Johan on a outstanding season!

yanling

Guru
I think he ought to bulk up a little, as ought to Craig Pickering.

maybe he can one day crack a sub-20

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Johan set a new p.b. today in the 200 meters running a time of 20.30 wind legal for a new nat'l record. Congrats to the blonde speedster on another solid race.

Wissman is going to surprise more people next year. Look for low 44's - at least - in the 400. He will definitely be in the medal hunt in Beijing for the 400. I believe he has the ability to crack 20 if he wants to concentrate on that as a goal. He's another guy who just doesn't have the drugged out look most of physiques of the top sprinters show. Wariner, Wissman, Spearmon (yeah, he's black, but hey)and a few others all seem to be naturally lean runners. Some of their counterparts keep developing more and more muscle, more and more muscle density, beyond that of natural bodybuilders.

mastermulti

Master
great way for Johan to finish the season, a PB while others were going
backwards late in the season.

He may just be another who seems to have that critical element....... self
belief!

StarWars

Mentor
He broke 46 indoors, so he is on pace to break 45 outdoors. There is no question he is a contender. Congradulations to Johan Wissman on winningg the gold in Torino. Hopefully he can get it in Berlin too.
smiley1.gif
smiley17.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He already has run in the 44's multiple times. Just from the last World Champs in 2007.

Wissman ran in the mid to high 44 second range 3 times in the World Championships in only his first year of him running this distance. Imagine what he can do with the proper training. The sky just might be the limit.He is still young and should be a factor at the olympics next year. Congrats to Johan on a outstanding season!

This guy is so much fun to watch. I call him the "blonde bullet". He pisses alot of people of because he is as aryan as they come with pure blonde hair, and his blue eyes. The ladies also love him because of his perfect golden tan. He looks like a surfer boy but man can he run. I would love Sweden with alot of the hot blonde women looking like Carolina Kluft.Edited by: white lightning

StarWars

Mentor
Swedish, Polish, and Russian chicks are very, very attractive.
smiley1.gif
That's my opinion.

I hope wissman gets a medal in Berlin this year. I have a feeling Sean Wroe could be burned out after competing in the Australian Circuit, but I hope not. he could help us go 1, 2, 3.

albinosprint

Mentor
I would like to see Jordan Boase and Martyn Rooney get a medal. the 400 right know is loaded with fast white guys. JW, Wissman, Rooney, Boase, Steele, Gillick, Licciardello, and the Borlee twins. and you got allot of good guys in college coming up. it's going to be real interesting come London 2012.

StarWars

Mentor
I wat Yohan and Rooney to help Jeremy sweep the 400 meter so bad. Not because I hate blacks but because it would make people undoubtedly realize that whites are just as fast.