Impotance of High Jumping

Black Guy

Bart said:
SteveB said:
Didn't Brent Barry dunk from the free throw line?

I've seen the clip of Barry dunking from the free throw line and the clip of Jordan doing the same. They areroughly the same height andweight. Both step on the free throw lineand take off atabout the same spot. There is a huge difference however, the way the jumps are described by basketball enthusiasts. White guy jumps from line and dunks the ball. But Air Jordan soars from the free throw line defying gravity, proving humans can fly and then descending from space slams the ball hard,downthe throat of the disbelieving hoop, causing the fans to swoon in ecstasy.Actually, if Jordan didn't have his tongue hanging out of hisyap like a thirsty dog,there would be little difference between the two.

You forget one thing Jordan was the first to do that dunk in the slam dunk contest. Barry was just copying him so naturally people wont talk about that one as much. Jordan was the original.

"Actually, if Jordan didn't have his tongue hanging out of hisyap like a thirsty dog,there would be little difference between the two."

That was pretty funny right there. I got my laugh of the day from that one. That was a good one.

Black Guy

white lightning said:
Barry not only took off about an inch or 2 further than
Jordan,but he had his warm up jacket on.That would make
him heavier so that he would need more lift.The only
thing that made Jordan's look nice was the double
clutch with the ball which Barry could have easily done.
Chris Anderson just missed on a 2 hand bounce pass
dunk from the free throw line this year.Also the kid
that won the nat'l college dunk contest from Lithunia
dunked from just beyond the line.

You act as if Jordan couldnt have taken off a couple of inches further or something. Not to mention if Jordan double clutched the ball he definitely had more lift than Barry had.

Yeah Im sure that warm up jacket added about another 2 pounds to Barry right. LOL. Im sure that jacket really weighed him down. Cmon now you cant be for real with that.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm not taking anything away from Jordan.He was one of
the greatest players & dunkers ever.He also showed alot
of class on & off the court the majority of the time.
Jordan could dunk as good and graceful as anyone but
you are not giving any props to guys like Barry,etc.
The only reason we got going in this direction is that
you believe it's easier to dunk a basketball than it is
to high jump.You are wrong about that.Sports Illustrated
did a article on Sergui Bubka years ago when he was still
competing in the pole vault.He had never played b-ball
but they asked him to stand under a 10 feet rim and
try to jump up & dunk the ball.He did it with ease.This
track athletes are the cream of the crop.You don't get
much better than them.Any sprinter will outrun any
football player easily.Any high jumper will outjump
most basketball players as far as pure vertical.That is
not to take anything away from basketball players.They
are some of the greatest athletes in the US.

speedster

Mentor
Black Guy,Tommy Morrison was the last white heavyweight champion back in '93.It's pretty even when it comes to champions in the heavier divisions between blacks and whites,and fighters of hispanic origin dominate the lower weight divisions.I was also reading your post on Jeremy Wariner,and I have to say you need to educate yourself a little or at least think about things alittle before you start making your big boasts and claims.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Black Guy You forget one thing Jordan was the [i said:
first to do that dunk[/i] in the slam dunk contest. Barry was just copying him so naturally people wont talk about that one as much. Jordan was the original.

Oh Mr. Black Gentleman, With all due respect concerning your infinite I.Q. Jordan was not the first and was certainly not the original. For the sake of clarity I would like to inform you that Julius Erving had been the first to perform the feat in an ABA dunking contest. Jordan it appears was just copying Erving.

Erving also introduced the dunk jumping off the foul line. He executed this move in the 1976 All-Star Dunking Contest..
<DIV ="printfooter">Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Erving"Edited by: Bart

Black Guy

speedster said:
Black Guy,Tommy Morrison was the last white heavyweight champion back in '93.It's pretty even when it comes to champions in the heavier divisions between blacks and whites,and fighters of hispanic origin dominate the lower weight divisions.I was also reading your post on Jeremy Wariner,and I have to say you need to educate yourself a little or at least think about things alittle before you start making your big boasts and claims.

I forgot about the Tommy Gunn.

Black Guy

Bart said:
Black Guy You forget one thing Jordan was the [i said:
first to do that dunk[/i] in the slam dunk contest. Barry was just copying him so naturally people wont talk about that one as much. Jordan was the original.

Oh Mr. Black Gentleman, With all due respect concerning your infinite I.Q. Jordan was not the first and was certainly not the original. For the sake of clarity I would like to inform you that Julius Erving had been the first to perform the feat in an ABA dunking contest. Jordan it appears was just copying Erving.

Erving also introduced the dunk jumping off the foul line. He executed this move in the 1976 All-Star Dunking Contest..
<DIV ="printfooter">Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Erving"

I forgot all about Dr J doing that.

bigman

Guru
OK about the 100m.. I can only assume from the numbers that blacks do dominate.. it is interesting to consider why this is so... if it is all about nature one would have expected that the sizable number of blacks that ran in the 50s and 60s would have had a similar dominance .. yet it is not the case. .. Right now Im of the mindset that west africanancestry correlates well with probability of sprint success.. but the ever diminishing numbers of white to reach even the journeyman level is near shocking and suggests that a lack of participation is dominating the numbers...

Think about it..in the mid 50s the white population of the US produced a number of effectively 10.2 sprinters on dirt surface with 50s era training methods and no $$ rewards. That equates to about a 10 flat on todays synthetic surfaces...yet today whites barely produced 10.3 sprinters even with all of the advancements in training and nutrition let alone the PED that are prevalent..

So why the total evaporation of white performances and participation..is it possible that as folks think of themselves as not talented because of their race participation is dramatically decreased and the exceptional white sprinters never occur... could their be a overwhelming belief in black supremacy in the sprints that exagerates the actual advantage that blacks may enjoy...

just some thoughts