Duke Blue Devils ’07-’08

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Duke started an unusual line-up for their season opener, but they played a lot of white athletes for a lot of minutes.

Duke's talented freshmen duo looked impressive in the Blue Devils opener...

Kyle Singler played above the rim on both ends, scoring 15 points on 5-7 from the floor and 5-5 from the line. he also added a game high 3 blocked shots and 8 rebounds.
smiley32.gif

Taylor King scored a game-high 20 points on 7-9 shooting, including 5-7 from 3-point range. he added 6 boards and 2 blocked shots, as well.

Jon Scheyer came off the bench for some reason, but played the most minutes of any Dukie. he brought his normal, all around excellent game: 13 points on 4-8 shooting, including 3-4 from behind the arc, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, and 1 blocked shot. and he had ZERO turnovers.
smiley32.gif

Greg Paulus started, but was relatively quiet. he took just 3 shots but had 5 points and 4 assists, with only 1 turnover in 19 minutes.

sophomore center Brian Zoubek finished with a game-high 9 rebounds, and chipped in 6 points and 3 assists before fouling out.

athletic wing Martynas Pocius, a junior, played with his typical energy. in 12 minutes, he had 10 points and 4 rebounds, although 2 turnovers as well.

kylesingler-2.jpg

Kyle Singler finishes above the rim.

taylorking-1.jpg

One thing Taylor King can do is finger roll.
smiley2.gif

jonscheyer-1.jpg

Jon Scheyer forcing the turnover.

martynaspocius.jpg

Marty Pocius is too quick and too athletic to stop without fouling.

brianzoubek-1.jpg

Brian Zoubek is fouled to stop a dunk.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Awesome job as usual, Jimmy C. Duke has a game scheduled on ESPN tonight, 7pm Eastern. I just wish they still had McRoberts to complete the almost all-white cast.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
once again, Duke dominated an all-black team. this time the victim was preseason-WAC-favorite New Mexico State.

Coach K again started an odd line-up... why he starts Lance Thomas and Gerald Henderson confuses the hell out of me. Thomas is a fouling and turnover machine who doesn't rebound, score, or block shots. i don't know what Coach K sees in him... along the same lines, Henderson is a ball hog who can't shoot but certainly thinks he can. he heaves up bricks most every time he touches the ball, but only scores on dunks and lay-ups. it doesn't make any sense.

meanwhile, Jon Scheyer came off the bench again. as did Brian Zoubek, Taylor King, and even Marty Pocius. only Scheyer played more minutes, yet ALL were more productive in their time on the court.

white starters Greg Paulus and Kyle Singler had solid all around games. Paulus scored 9 points on 4-6 shooting, had a game-high 4 steals, 4 rebounds, and 8 assists with just 3 turnovers.

Singler had 10 points, 5 boards, and 2 blocks.

off the bench, Scheyer led all scorers with 22 points on 8-11 shooting, including 4-6 from deep. he also chipped in 4 boards, 2 steals, a blocked shot and an assist.

in only 11 minutes, Brian Zoubek had 5 rebounds, 2 points, 2 blocked shots, and a steal.

in just 7 minutes, Marty Pocius had 4 points, a rebound, and a steal, including the play of the game where he stole the ball, took it the length of the floor, and threw down a nasty dunk.

Taylor King had 7 points and 4 rebounds.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Duke has been recruting and playing a lot of whites lately. In fact i read in an article that coach K waas criticized for having too many white men on the team. MMMMMMMMMMMH thats interesting

aon7

I agree, I don't know what coac k is doing but singler, scheyerandking are beasts and should be starting.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
once again, Duke dominated an all-black team. this time the victim was preseason-WAC-favorite New Mexico State.

Coach K again started an odd line-up... why he starts Lance Thomas and Gerald Henderson confuses the hell out of me. Thomas is a fouling and turnover machine who doesn't rebound, score, or block shots. i don't know what Coach K sees in him... along the same lines, Henderson is a ball hog who can't shoot but certainly thinks he can. he heaves up bricks most every time he touches the ball, but only scores on dunks and lay-ups. it doesn't make any sense.

meanwhile, Jon Scheyer came off the bench again. as did Brian Zoubek, Taylor King, and even Marty Pocius. only Scheyer played more minutes, yet ALL were more productive in their time on the court.

white starters Greg Paulus and Kyle Singler had solid all around games. Paulus scored 9 points on 4-6 shooting, had a game-high 4 steals, 4 rebounds, and 8 assists with just 3 turnovers.

Singler had 10 points, 5 boards, and 2 blocks.

off the bench, Scheyer led all scorers with 22 points on 8-11 shooting, including 4-6 from deep. he also chipped in 4 boards, 2 steals, a blocked shot and an assist.

in only 11 minutes, Brian Zoubek had 5 rebounds, 2 points, 2 blocked shots, and a steal.

in just 7 minutes, Marty Pocius had 4 points, a rebound, and a steal, including the play of the game where he stole the ball, took it the length of the floor, and threw down a nasty dunk.

Taylor King had 7 points and 4 rebounds.

aon7

celticdb15 said:
Duke has been recruting and playing a lot of whites lately. In fact i read in an article that coach K waas criticized for having too many white men on the team. MMMMMMMMMMMH thats interesting

Does anyone know where a duke message board is so that we can give our disdain?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i've not used any Duke message boards, but i'm sure they'd be easy to find with a google search.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Duke took care of business tonight against 20th ranked Wisconsin.

Greg Paulus led the way with 18 points. freshman phenom Kyle Singler added 13 points and 6 boards. fellow freshman Taylor King had 15 points and 5 boards, off the bench.

Jon Scheyer also came off the bench and nearly had a double double. he had 10 points and 9 rebounds.

Brian Zoubek barely played, and Marty Pocius rode the pine all night.
smiley5.gif

Stonewall

Guru
Duke just finished strong with a nice win versusFlorida State's thugs. Duke's white players led the way, as Nelson and the other blacks nearly cost Duke this game.

Florida State finished the game in embarrassing fashion. Cheap shots, punches to Paulus' head, and just typical black street behavior had even the Caste announcers criticizing FSU's loss of composure.

Roll on Duke.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Stonewall, did you notice all the white FSU fans hating on Duke all night and riding Paulus to death? They did it to Reddick and now Paulus is the new white whipping boy for Duke. I will be glad when they get back 7-1 Greg Zoubeck, they need a low post presence and he was making improvements before the injury to his foot. He should be back next week.

Stonewall

Guru
Yes, guest301 it was disturbing to see the young white fans jump all over Duke's white players. Even watching on TV, I picked upan anti-Scheyer chant that went something like "Shut Up Scheyer". White males need to be blamed for this, as they start these chants and then the white girls with them start emulating them to try and fit in, be cool, etc. The bottom line is that these young punks are jealous of guys like Paulus, Redick, etc. It's pathetic.

One of my favorite moments watching college basketball occurred back in the early '90s when Bob Sura played at Florida State. I was watching FSU play at Duke. Almost immediately after the opening tip off, Sura got an easy steal and proceeded to lay down a nasty slam. It was potent. I've never seen Cameron so quiet, the kids were in awe of the Sura slam. What made it even better was the fact that Sura didn't showboat the dunk, he just matter of factly ran back down the court. He was like, "That's nothing, I make plays like that all the time".

guest301

Hall of Famer
Stonewall said:
Yes,  guest301 it was disturbing to see the young white fans jump all over Duke's white players.  Even watching on TV, I picked up an anti-Scheyer chant that went something like "Shut Up Scheyer".  White males need to be blamed for this, as they start these chants and then the white girls with them start emulating them to try and fit in, be cool, etc.  The bottom line is that these young punks are jealous of guys like Paulus, Redick, etc.  It's pathetic.

One of my favorite moments watching college basketball occurred back in the early '90s when Bob Sura played at Florida State.  I was watching FSU play at Duke.  Almost immediately after the opening tip off, Sura got an easy steal and proceeded to lay down a nasty slam.  It was potent.  I've never seen Cameron so quiet, the kids were in awe of the Sura slam.  What made it even better was the fact that Sura didn't showboat the dunk, he just matter of factly ran back down the court.  He was like, "That's nothing, I make plays like that all the time".

Bob Sura is just another outstanding white athlete with incredible hops and game who should have been a star in the NBA instead of the spare part he became, injuries or not. He did have a nice run for about a quater of the season a couple of years ago where he almost averaged a triple double every night. I think it was with the Hawks but not sure. I agree with you about the Duke home crowd and the respect they have for the game of basketball. I would absolutely love to attend a Duke home game against any ACC team just once in my life. That's a special enviroment to play basketball in.

Stonewall

Guru
Watching Duke's current game with Clemson. I just noticed Clemson has a black head coach now? What is going on? It's like every game I watch involves a black head coach, whose team loses to his white counterpart. Just this week, I saw Georgetown fall to Pitt, Duke defeat Florida State, UNC beat Georgia Tech, and now Duke is up 10 on Clemson.

When will AD's learn?

Stonewall

Guru
This Duke-Clemson game really epitomizes the weaknesses of black basketball. Clemson is 8-19 on free throws and the team's only player who can be considered a 3 point threat is white. Duke's white players are knocking down 3 pointers, and these guys are young (Singler, Scheyer).

Yes, Clemson hung around for awhile. But when the game is on the line rudimentary fundamentals, such as making a foul shot (something we all could do when we were 12 years old), are critical.

Another thing that bothers me is seeing all the white players on the Clemson bench who don't play at all. There are like 5 of them sitting together in sweats. I also have to question why thewhite freshman on Clemson (Ogelsby) wouldattend the school. Kid, you are a good player.Go to a school with other good white players. Obviously, I don't know Ogelsby and he has the right to go wherever he wants. But, I just don't get it. There are schoolsthat white players attend (Duke, Gonzaga, Notre Dame) led by white coaches where young white players will have their skills cultivated. It's pretty obvious.

Why play for a black coach on a team where you are the only white player who touches thecourt?

Black coaches give white players chances, especially at the mid-major level.

Trevor Huffman became Kent State's all-time leading scorer under two different black coaches, Gary Waters (who knocked off Butler this week at Cleveland State) and Stan Heath (one-year, then died at Arkansas).

Charlie Coles has to be the only active college coach who has had two future white NBA all-stars, Thuner Dan at CMU and Wally at Miami. Uncle Charlie's two stars right now are white, Pollitz and Bramos.

Chris Lowery has found great success, not this year though, at Southern Illinois, always with prominent white players.

At a bigger school, Ernie Kent had white guys go in the first round of the draft in consecutive years, Luke Ridnour and Luke Jackson -- and they were both picked in the top half of the first round. Roy Williams had two in one year. Coach K's first round picks ... Reddick, Laettner, Dunleavy, Hurley, Parks, am I forgetting anyone? Duke wastes more white talent than it helps. No one can kill the career of a big, white McDonald's All-American quite like Coach K: Chris Burgess (touted as the best West Coast big since Walton), Shav, Joey Beard, Taymon Domzalski, Greg Newton, an embarrassment of riches squandered.

Black coaches again, it goes all the way back. The first black coach at a white college was Will Robinson at Illinois State. I'm assuming off the top of my head, he was the last coach to see a white American guard be the No. 1 overall selection in the NBA Draft, Doug Collins in 1973. His son wasn't drafted out of Duke, that's for damn sure.

Not to say there aren't black coaches who prefer their own. They were so unique at Arkasas, Temple, G'town in their glory years, I can remember their white guys, Pat Bradley and a Yugo exchange student (Nolan Richardson was his host family) at Arkansas; Mike "Threeswyk" and his brother, who was kicked off the team, at Temple; roleplaying forwards Brian Kelly (pretty strong, tough juco guy from Cincy) and Mike Sabol (deep bench for the DC native) with the Hoyas.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Charlie Coles is black? is he aware of that? maybe i missed something, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time.
smiley1.gif

coles_327x500.jpg

Poacher

Mentor
Just read an interesting stat. Apparently Due frosh Kyle Singler has taken 23 stitches this year so far. The thugs can't stand him scoring inside on them apparently.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Poacher said:
Just read an interesting stat. Apparently Due frosh Kyle Singler has taken 23 stitches this year so far. The thugs can't stand him scoring inside on them apparently.

They can't stand being routinely taking off the dribble straight to the hole with ease by a white man either.

Stonewall

Guru
Could someone who follows Duke basketball please explain to me why Taylor King gets so few minutes? Whenever I watch Duke, he's never on the floor. It's obvious this man can play.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Taylor has been struggling mightily with his shot of late...

over the last 5 games or so, he's something like 3-29 from 3-point range. that being said, he was the second guy off the bench for most of the season. and if he finds his stroke again, i think you'll be seeing him get more playing time.

guest301

Hall of Famer
They also have a full roster of extremely talented players who really have to compete for their minutes. I wonder sometimes why certain kids don't go to lesser schools in order to get more playing time and give themselves a chance to get drafted into the NBA. The athletic guard Pocious is wasting his time at Duke, he can't get on the floor, I am not 100% sure that he is still at Duke. Didn't he transfer?Edited by: guest301

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Duke is disappointing from a racial standpoint this year. Most years they start 3 and often play 4 of our people. This year, when I have seen them, they only play 2 and sometimes 3 whites.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Duke is disappointing from a racial standpoint this year. Most years they start 3 and often play 4 of our people. This year, when I have seen them, they only play 2 and sometimes 3 whites.

In the game they played this afternoon against NC St, there was a time in the 2nd half where Duke had four whites on the floor. Singler, Paulus, Scheyer and the recently healthy and returning 7 footer Zoubeck. Duke is still very much worth rooting for from a caste perspective.

Poacher

Mentor
Coach K gets win #800!