David Lee

j41181

Master
David Lee can play DEFENSE, hands-down!

D-Howard himself can't guard Yao Ming, and there's claim on him being the best center in the NBA.
smiley36.gif

KG can't play good defense, unless he lands a fist and elbow here and there.

Dirk and Pau play good and CLEAN defense, it's always appalling why they are always being called soft. When they start landing a fist and elbow like KG, then they are called dirty. KG does this a lot, and the word dirty is never applied on him. Talk about extreme bias by the media.
smiley7.gif

But David Lee can play solid defense, being in New York, he reminds me more of the late and great Dave DeBusschere.
smiley2.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
True; Garnett is an overrated defender for sure and Pau Gasol is a very underrated one. Gasol did a good job in the NBA finals slowing down Garnett one on one. Garnett still put up some numbers, but Gasol played him better one on one than most starting PFs I've seen. It was really Peirce and the maturation of Rondo that changed things the most in Boston's favor.

I don't agree that Dirk is a good defender. Yeah, he is a CLEAN defender. Sure the refs call white defenders tighter, but Dirk still seems a bit soft on D. He is so mobile and athletic on the offensive end that I wonder why he doesn't use his finesse better on D.

Maybe his frame isn't built for muscling with guys like Howard inside? He shows good change of direction on offense, but seems to get caught flat footed too often on D. I'd say he's in the bottom half of starting PFs on D, and believe me I hate to admit this. He's so good everywhere else though that he's still arguably the best PF in the league and they can always play zone against the best post-up teams.

Lee and Love are two AMERICAN UNDERSIZED big men to watch though for their D; boy they are tough and athletic to make up for their lack of quality length.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
One thing to note is that Dirk knows how to rebound big-time to stop second chance points. Like I said he's BRILLIANT everywhere except one on one D.

j41181

Master
David Lee just had another fine game:

24 points
15 rebounds
4 assists

Helping the Knicks get another win.

I was watching the game on ESPN and I was annoyed how all the praises were going to Chandler, and Robinson, when Lee was about as significant. This guy is really getting ignored.
smiley7.gif
Edited by: j41181

j41181

Master
CBS comment:

Lee is a machine in double-double production which has turned him into a must-start option in Fantasy play. Lee has 23 games in a row with a double-double and as long as he doesn't get hurt in a game, that streak will continue indefinitely this season. He should be starting across the board.

j41181

Master
CBS comment:

David lee is having an epic roto season. since mid-novemeber there have only been 4 games that he doesn't have a double-double. making opponents look foolish. my man-crush radar won't stop beeping.

icsept

Master
24 straight double doubles. According to ESPN, that is the 3rd longest such streak in the past 25 years. Barkley had a 28 game streak and Garnett a 33 game streak.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
18 points 19 rebounds against the bucks last night
smiley32.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
icsept said:
24 straight double doubles. According to ESPN, that is the 3rd longest such streak in the past 25 years. Barkley had a 28 game streak and Garnett a 33 game streak.

Hopefully Lee can beat those streaks. He is almost there.

whiteathlete33 said:
icsept said:

Hopefully Lee can beat those streaks. He is almost there.
Watching him play the Pistons right now. At half he has 9 pts and 9 rebounds. I wonder if he'll get it?
smiley36.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
So he is on 26 straight games?!!

celticdb15 said:
So he is on 26 straight games?!!
Got it. It's still the 3rd quarter and he has 16 points and 14 rebounds. Man is a machine!

It's going to be very interesting to see if he gets underpaid this off season because he's white. The Pistons, for instance, are going to be looking for a power forward and have 20+ million to spend. Will they be willing to pay Lee as much as they're willing to pay Boozer?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Cmon David get this record! This could boost him to star status. He will be in elite company.

P-NutLane said:
Are they talking about it much on TV?
He actually only had 7 rebounds before the Pistons game. Nevertheless, hell of a streak and he's started another one.
smiley32.gif

I'm wondering, if you guys had to choose between Boozer or Lee (for the same price, same amount of years) who would you pick? I'm asking this because the Pistons have 20+ million to spend and they want a PF or Center. They already indicated they'll likely make an offer to Boozer. I just wonder if you guys think Joe Dumars is being racist, or Boozer really should be the top choice (keep in mind the Pistons have the best trainer in basketball, so the injury history doesn't matter). Thanks.Edited by: Fightingtowin

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
That's a tough call. Lee is an underrated defender and probably defends close to as well as Boozer (meaning he plays solid D). Lee isn't as much of a go-to guy as Boozer offensively, but is more proficient (scoring at a higher rate per shot). Lee is also a better rebounder than Boozer per 48 minutes. Personally I'd take Lee, but it would be a very close call. And Lee has more "upside" at this point; as he is just coming of age in the NBA!

j41181

Master
ToughJ.Riggins said:
That's a tough call. Lee is an underrated defender and probably defends close to as well as Boozer (meaning he plays solid D). Lee isn't as much of a go-to guy as Boozer offensively, but is more proficient (scoring at a higher rate per shot). Lee is also a better rebounder than Boozer per 48 minutes. Personally I'd take Lee, but it would be a very close call. And Lee has more "upside" at this point; as he is just coming of age in the NBA!
Lee will never be a 1st option player, but he is an absolute 2nd and 3rd option player. Those kinds of players still get to become All-Star players, which Lee is capable of becoming many times over. Lee's defense is already impressive to me, more than enough to help a team win a championship.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here is my first post back after watching David Lee tonight:

Lee had 20 points tonight on 14 shots.
He also had 16 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal.

Announcer Jeff Van Gundy minimized Lee's double-double effect this season saying paraphrased
"People make way too big a deal of 10 and 10, I'd much rather have a guy who can explode for 35 and 8.

Yeah, most of those guys getting 35 points are shooting a ridiculous amount of shots. Lee remains one of top 10 efficient scorers "who start" in the entire league. Lee is averaging a good 16 points and 11.7 boards a game, not 10 and 10. And Lee is doing this on 55% FGs. Van Gundy also said that
"although Lee can help out any team he will play for in many ways a big part of Lee's double double dominance this season is D'Antoni's system."

Way to discredit a dominant white athlete Jeff, you never seem to get enough of this in (I think he's a caste whore type). At least he gave J.J Redick credit for solid defense once tonight, but that compliment I believe originally came from his brother Stan. Stan has said that Redick has been solid defensively this season to the media recently.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

j41181

Master
Wow, 20 points and 16 rebounds!

That's his best game after having quite a rough stretch. I have never liked Jeff Van Gundy commenting. What he said about Lee's performance is just so low. JJ Redick has played well as of late, gotta give brother Stan some credit. It's no wonder brother Stan has not been coaching for sometime now.
smiley36.gif

It has been a wonderful season for David Lee, kudos and kudos to David Lee!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

j41181

Master
David Lee finishes this season with an NBA best:

65 double-doubles!!!!</font>
smiley16.gif

Edited by: j41181

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
How is this possible? I thought Dwight Howard was Superman and the NBA's poster boy for dominance in the paint.

Well congrats the the MAN, David Lee. If the Knicks refuse to re-sign him this offseason, I'm done supporting them.Edited by: Freethinker

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And it only took four seasons in the NBA before he was "allowed" to start.
smiley29.gif

j41181

Master
David Lee has been the Knicks' go-to-guy early on:

28 points (13-17 FG's, 2-2 FT's)
8 rebounds
2 assists

I'll be amazed if he doesn't make the 2010 All-Star game next year. He's just a super-solid dude on both ends night-in, night-out!Edited by: j41181

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I still want him to go play with Dirk in Dallas next year. If he does stay in NY, let better keep Mike Dantoni as Coach.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
David Lee is now a premier player in the league.  His athletic ability is off the charts and he should make several allstars games in the future.