David Lee

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
scheyer30 said:
he is the first white to play for the knicks since Keith van horn

We've talked a lot about Horn on this site before, you might want to search if you're interested. Interestingly Horn was a great athlete too, and treated poorly by the Knicks as well. He was often compared to Bird, because that was the media's only white player they ever compared any other talented white player to, but he was much more athletic the Bird. Horn never lived up to his promise, I thought he could have been one of the great ones.

guest301

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Van Horn's problem was that he was soft. David Lee most certainly is not!
Van Horn's problem was more than that. A white player has to prove himself over and over again in the NBA. Even when he was playing well and on a good scoring run he still always got crapped on because of his defence. The NBA thinks Bobby Jones was the last great white defensive player. The play of Andrei Kirelenko in Utah has woken a few up on that score. I also think Ginobli, Hinrich and Nocioni(chicago) are good white defensive players. Don't want to leave out David Lee either.Edited by: guest301

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Van Horn's problem was that he was soft. David Lee most certainly is not!
The NBA thinks Bobby Jones was the last great white defensive player. The play of Andrei Kirelenko in Utah has woken a few up on that score. I also think Ginobli, Hinrich and Nocioni(chicago) are good white defensive players. Don't want to leave out David Lee either.

Good points, but don't forget my favourite Vlade Divac. He was a very good defender! He was unfairly stigmatized for flopping when competing against Shaq. I guess a 360 lb. man lowering his shoulder into you while you are standing straight isn't an offensive foul. His play against Shaq in the 2002 playoffs was gutsy and just awesome! Shaq often get's away with offensive fouls, but in that series he should have been fouling out consistantly after about 20 min. The Kings were blatantly jipped of a chance in the NBA finals. The ghost foul on Webber the foul outs by Vlade in crunch time. The ghost foul on Christie against Kobe in a critical time of the game. And last but not least; Horry's shot (after the buzzer) that shouldn't have counted. Then the Kings doomed themselves in game 7 by shooting a lower FT% than Shaq as a team. You can see I'm still mad about that series!
smiley7.gif
I actually put an x through the Lakers name as NBA champions in 2002 in my 2005 Sports Almanac and wrote Kings! Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

guest301

Hall of Famer
I was a big Kings fan back then and I still have horrible memories about that series as well. The coulda woulda shoulda of sports.

Bart

Hall of Famer
David Lee sprained an ankle last Feb. 25 and hasn't played since. Seems like a long time in healing.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I.Thomas is an idiot.He is probably laughing and happy that Lee is hurt.David Lee has had one hell of a year.I hope he gets out of NY and goes to a contender soon.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The other day I'm listening to a sports cast with two black hosts and one white. One of the blacks mentioned how the Knicks are suffering b/c of injury. He says the Knicks are really missing the contributions of Quintin Richardson and Jamal Crawford, but doesn't even mention Lee who is clearly more valuable to the team than Richardson. The other black sportscaster agreed and mentioned reasons why the two are missed so much. The white announcer then says "and they are missing David Lee too."

Then the next day I'm listening to another sports cast about the Final Four and the host asks a white and black guest what coach you trust the least out of the final 4 coaches to make the right crunch time decisions. The obvious answer would be John Thompson III because he hasn't had the experience in the Final Four the others have. But you guessed it, the black guy would never name one of his own for criticism. The white guy said Thompson, the black guy picked one of the whities! Just two more examples of the cohesiveness of blacks and why whites have to start showing our own cohesivness to counter it.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Bart

Hall of Famer
David has been spending more time on the bench this year. Every night 6-7 or more players log significantly more minutes.
smiley6.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it shouldn't be a surprise under the black--loving, racist regime of isiah thomas...

last year, David Lee became the first person to average over 10 rebounds-per-game off the bench since Dennis Rodman did it in '93-'94. a pretty amazing statistic!

also, Lee averaged a double-double as a starter last season...

there is only one reason he is on the bench in New York: his skin color.

Alpha Male

Mentor
"The ever-growing "please make David Lee an NBA starter" contingent had quite a roller-coaster week. Lee was in the starting lineup last Wednesday, in place of Zach Randolph, as Isaiah Thomas unleashed this unexpectedly sensible assessment: "David is getting better and consequently, because he's getting better, you reward him with more minutes and more playing time." Of course, Z-Bo was having none of that. After the game, he said, "I haven't come off the bench in six or seven years, so I was shocked. I don't plan on coming off no bench for the rest of the season." Perhaps not coincidentally, Randolph was back in the starting lineup for the Knicks' next game, and so was Lee, this time at the expense of Eddy Curry. Curry was none-too-pleased. "It definitely bugs me. I think I'm a starter in this league. But I guess not on this team," he said. Perhaps not coincidentally, Lee was back on the bench for the Knicks' next game, with the Z-Bo/Curry Show back in full effect. As of my submitting this column, there have been no reports of a "shocked" or "perturbed" or "befuddled" Lee questioning his role with the Knicks. Sigh. Maybe next season."

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nba/news;_ylt=Au6IkwD_kdUNRw 2Yxd1lel1NC5kB?slug=mb-bigpic_010308 Edited by: Alpha Male

Angelcynn

Guru
Thanks for the update Alpha Male, I've been wondering whats going on with Lee and those crazy knicks. I find it extremely annoying especially seeing as David Lee is a young player with bags of talent and is such a nice guy who totaly doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting. Just makes me angry
smiley7.gif

Alpha Male

Mentor
Gladly, The Englishman. I can only imagine the racial tension boiling on that team. The writer yearns for Lee to speak out, but when you are the only white face on a team coached by Isaiah Thomas, the least resistant path is team player - a trait that accounts for many white athletes' silence.

The excellent front-page soccer article is hopeful. If our fellow Europeans can voice against the caste system, so can we.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
From AOL Sports:

Stern Helps Isiah Coach By Suspending Z-Bo

Tom Ziller Posted Jan 4th 2008 4:05PM by Tom Ziller
Filed under: Knicks, New York, MSG

Who said David Stern doesn't care how bad things get in New York? The league today announced a one-game suspension for Zach Randolph after dude flung his headband at a referee Wednesday night. He got called for a questionable foul on Spencer Hawes, and with the Knicks down double digits to a terrible team, Z-Bo lost it. (Score one for the no-headband contingent.)

This might help the Knicks. No, not tonight when the Knicks visit San Antonio -- they had no shot with or without Randolph. But the more Isiah Thomas sees a line-up without one of his ballhog, sloth big men, the better. David Lee isn't a savior alongside either Randolph or Eddy Curry -- there are further problems all over this line-up. But Lee, a roleplaying rebounder, fits better next to Curry than does ball-dominating Randolph.

But hey, maybe Z-Bo can use the night off to run some wind sprints.

I watched David play high school ball here in St. Louis and the guy was just an amazing ballplayer and athlete. If Isiah has any desire to save the Knicks season (must less his job though I hope he is gone) he should state David immediately and put Zach on the bench!

P.S. What am I thinking...There is no saving the Knicks now
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Edited by: mrjohnnynofear

guest301

Hall of Famer
I'm just hoping to see David Lee in the All-star dunk contest this year. I still remember his baseline dunk a few years ago in a dunk competition where he tossed the ball high in the air, took of his shirt and dunked the ball. It brought the house down.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Even ESPN caste ass clown Steven Smith said the other day that David Lee was the best player on the Knicks.

foobar75

Master
Here's the bottom line from that ESPN link:

Spin: Lee could very well put up top-50 production this season as he will be getting a consistent 35 minutes per game as the starting power forward under Coach Mike D'Antoni.

It's all about being given the opportunity to play and therefore produce. The guy is great player, period.

j41181

Master
LANDMARK DAY for David Lee, check out his numbers:

37 POINTS - Career High
21 REBOUNDS - Career High

in 38 minutes, he benefited a lot from Chris Duhon who had 22 ASSISTS. Knicks won 138-125 over Golden State.

With Mike D'antoni as the coach, I expect David Lee to do this more as the season goes by.

Wow, big time!

guest301

Hall of Famer
Monster numbers for David Lee.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
First guy to put up 30+ points and 20 rebounds in regulation since Patrick Ewing did in '94
smiley32.gif
Edited by: celticdb15