Danny Woodhead

bigunreal

Mentor
The constant references to Woodhead's size are as annoying as they are predictable. I have tried to point out to a few typically clueless sports fans that Danny is the same size as numerous running backs in the NFL. I am met with the same kind of vacant looks that I get when I pontifcate about various conspiracies, or try to explain how our fractional banking system works.

I admire Danny greatly and wish him the best.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
I am met with the same kind of vacant looks that I get when I pontificate about various conspiracies, or try to explain how our fractional banking system works.
I know that look all too well. Some people even seem to take pride in their ignorance.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
Danny Woodhead was interviewed on ESPN First Take this morning and the proverbial elephant in the room (his skin color) being the reason he was passed over in the NFL draft was never brought up. His size was conitinally brought up as the main reason he got cut by the Jets and passed over by so many other teams. I was hoping Danny would bring it up but totally understand why he didn't.
Here is the link to Danny's First Take interview. He's just so nice and unassuming in this interview. Of course, his height is mentioned, and he takes a humorous approach to it. Later in the interview, though, it keeps getting mentioned. He's much nicer than I am, I would have shot back that he can look Ray Rice in the eyes, yet Ray is not badgered about his height endlessly.

Wolfman82

I think thats what we need from the white guys that do end up getting a chance. They should have the guts to say whats real. If he was black hed be apraised for his gifts, and told how great heis.I think he shouldve said just that. I think these guysknow they better not rock the boat. Its sad how it works. IfWoodhead or any other white player, or coach said the obvious they really would probablybe done in the NFL.

Oh hel get a 100 yard game. Maybe two, maybe 3, maybe more
smiley16.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
SuperSpeed23 said:
Oh hel get a 100 yard game. Maybe two, maybe 3, maybe more
smiley16.gif

He needs enough attempts to get 100 yards. So far in four games this season, the most attempts he's had is 11. On 11 attempts in order for him to get 100 yards rushing he'd have to break a very long run.

snow

Mentor
Yes I don't think he will get enough attempts to have many 100 yard rushing games unless he breaks a very long run like you said, which is possible given his elite speed/agility but it usually takes a bunch of attempts, Chris Johnson owns the record now with 30+ yard td runs in a season at 10 and he had 350 attempts, after that the record is 6. I think CJ also has the record for most 80+ yard runs with 3. Woodhead would need to break off a 50+ yarder with 11 carries, unless he breaks off several 20+ yard runs.

I think the best bet is to hope for more 100 yard from scrimmage games, just from the way the Patriots use him. He had one against the Ravens. If he keeps the same amount of carries I think he can have one or two 100 yard rushing games, but hopefully around 6 or 7 more 100 yard from scrimmage games. Unless the Patriots wisen up and realize Green-Ellis isn't that good and give Woodhead the majority of the carries. Sammy Morris definitely shouldn't be getting any carries. This fantasy website has this funny statement about Morris "We're coining a new phrase this week: Rigor-Morris. Definition? The inability of a running back to move his body forward.". Fred Taylor is still out, so I think realistically it will be around 20 carries split up evenly between Green-Ellis and Woodhead like it has been the past few weeks with Woodhead at least getting 5 passes thrown his way. But then again, he is new to the offense so his role could increase as the season goes along. It would be nice to see him get at least 20 touches a game.
Edited by: snow

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Snow, the records for most 30 yard runs in a season if I recall what I saw on t.v are as follows: Chris Johnson 10, DeAngelo Williams 8, Jim Brown 7, Gale Sayers and a few others (forget who) 6, Barry Sanders never had more than 5- believe it or not.

I'm worried when Fred Taylor comes back that BB will keep feeding him the ball- thinking it'll be his last year- trying to get him to 12,000 yards for a career, as he is at about 11,600 now. At least it's not as big a deal as going over 10,000, but still.

snow

Mentor
My bad, when I read DeAngelo Williams bio it stated that he tied Jim Brown's record with 6 in 2008. The site could have false information though.

"Tied Jim Brown in 1963 for the second-most touchdown runs of more than 30 yards with six"

on this Panther's site http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/DeAngelo-Williams/80ae8479-d6be-4dc4-83df-a81a58025148

Yeah, Fred Taylor coming back seems like the biggest threat to Woodhead. We can only hope that Danny keeps shining so if they try to forcefeed Taylor the fans might question why Woodhead's role was decreased.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I don't worry too much about Taylor, he will most likely take away Green-Ellis' carries as he is a similar back. I don't see Fred Taylor being used as a scatback at this point in his career with much effectiveness.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Taylor is 34 now and past his prime. His last good season was in 2007 and since then he's done very little. Woodhead is young and fresh and probably the fastest player on the entire team. They need to keep him heavily involved in the offense.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This USA Today article ostensibly trys to bea positive look at Woodhead, but starts off in full Lovie Smith/Mike Tirico-style sneering mode, once againpretending the NFL doesn't haveplenty ofblack smurfs at RB, WR and DB, thatWoodhead's size is unique. It's interesting too that a man who is roughly 5-8 but weighs 200 pounds can somehow have a "slight build":

<DIV =inside-copy>In an NFL environment with no shortage of 6-foot, 5-inch, 350-pound giants, it is easy to mistake Danny Woodhead for something he is not.
He is not a team trainer, nor a public relations staffer. Despite his baby face and slight build, he is definitely not a ballboy for the New EnglandPatriots.
Woodhead is a football player â€" even at 5-7 3/4 and barely 200 pounds.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-10-28-the-bell-tolls-danny-woodhead_N.htm

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
This USA Today article ostensibly trys to bea positive look at Woodhead, but starts off in full Lovie Smith/Mike Tirico-style sneering mode, once againpretending the NFL doesn't haveplenty ofblack smurfs at RB, WR and DB, thatWoodhead's size is unique. It's interesting too that a man who is roughly 5-8 but weighs 200 pounds can somehow have a "slight build":
<div></div>
<div>
<div>In an NFL environment with no shortage of 6-foot, 5-inch, 350-pound giants, it is easy to mistake Danny Woodhead</font> for something he is not. </div>

He is not a team trainer, nor a public relations staffer. Despite his baby face and slight build, he is definitely not a ballboy for the New England</font>Patriots</font>.

Woodhead is a football player â€" even at 5-7 3/4 and barely 200 pounds.
<div>http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-10-28-the-bell-tolls-danny-woodhead_N.htm</div></div>

Wayne Chrebet was treated the same way back in the mid 90's when he was trying to make the team out of Hofstra. I'm sure many on this site have heard that Chrebet was turned away by security at training camp because of his size. Being white also had a lot to do with that. Chrebet then went on to become one of the greatest Jets of all time.

No one ever questions black receivers like Steve Smith, Roscoe Parrish, and Eddie Royal who are the same size as Chrebet. The DWF's consider them tremendous athletes and size doesn't matter for them.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
snow said:
My bad, when I read DeAngelo Williams bio it stated that he tied Jim Brown's record with 6 in 2008. The site could have false information though."Tied Jim Brown in 1963 for the second-most touchdown runs of more than 30 yards with six"on this Panther's site http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/DeAngelo-Williams/80ae8479-d6be-4dc4-83df-a81a58025148Yeah, Fred Taylor coming back seems like the biggest threat to Woodhead. We can only hope that Danny keeps shining so if they try to forcefeed Taylor the fans might question why Woodhead's role was decreased.

You may be right snow. I'm not sure if what I saw on t.v was simply for 30 yard runs- and DW's bio is for "TD runs" of 30 yards or more. Regardless, if the 2nd best, single season record- for 30 yard runs is about one every two games, than it shows that 40 times are overrated and a 25 or 30 yard dash is more important (with emphasis on the first 10 and 20 yard clips). It also points back to that article "lateral agility trumps (straight lined) speed on the football field". The limited number of white skill players did very well at that 2009 NFL Combine.

JReb1

Mentor
Taylor wont take away from Woodhead's carries or receptions. Danny has more than earned his job of taking over the role of the injured and old Faulk and then some! Danny is even outperforming what Faulk was doing when he was healthy so he will (should) probably keep his job even if Faulk returns next year.

TwentyTwo

Master
Funny thing how Woodhead automatically qualifies forthe "all airport team";mistaken as the supposed trainer...That preception has to change! What garbage!! Only bec of his skin condition does it make it a cute little story for the dwf-sheeple! How about the 5'-7 3/4" Kevin Faulk?? No way he is ever mistaken as anything otherthan an athlete...why is that?? Is it bec he doesn't have a baby face?? Sure he does...it's time to regurgitate this poison that's beingspewed!

Taylor's eventual return will come at Green-Ellis expense..the Faulk-role has been etched into the Patriots system for too long...and Woodhead has proved he's more than capable!

How's Joe McKnight doing again??Edited by: TwentyTwo

icsept

Master
I agree with TwentyTwo. Once Taylor returns, Green-Ellis will go back to the bench. Woodhead will be the change of pace back.

snow

Mentor
[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv63XxB9b_Y[/TUBE]

Danny Woodhead at Chadron State, its the most footage Ive been able to find from his college days, theres some other players in the video but check out the move during the play that happens at 3:37 , very shifty to go along with his straight line speed shown in the beginning of the video. Can't wait til the Pats utilize him more in the offense. I mean hes only been there for a little while and putting up good numbers on limited touches, just wait until they find some more creative ways to use him. I know others have said this but I also I think he could be used how Marshall Faulk was for the greatest show on turf. They kind of used Welker that way before, minus getting carries, now they have someone who can receive and take handoffs with 4.3 speed to go along with his shiftiness.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Thanks for posting this Snow. Danny is certainly one of the most athletic running backs in the league. Thank god Bill picked this kid up and gave him another opportunity.

Westside

Hall of Famer
A year ago, I remember that great song "Magnificent" by U2 playing on the radio. I always associated it with Toby Gerhart's Heisman Campainge he was screwed out of. Now since Toby is stuck between a rock and hard place, I will think of Danny right now, when I play it. I will pray to GOD that Danny will have a monster game this week against whoever. Go Danny, a true White American that did not listen to the DWFs and the sort!