Danny Woodhead

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I wish the Jets would use Woodhead more as a runner- like they did with Leon. No doubt Woodhead deserves to be somewhere where he can compete for half a team's carries or more. Thomas Jones is a respected vet, but his play has been up and down this year. Shonn Greene has been up and down with his efficiency- (mostly up), but ball security has been a problem for him. In a fair world Woodhead would have had his shot to get the reps Washington got because of their similar styles. Woodhead hasn't gotten enough reps to showcase himself AS A RUNNER this season after his dominant pre-season finale- what a shame.

Tom Iron

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins,

Sir, It's not over yet. I still hold out hope that Danny will get a shot to show how well he can do. Greene is a disaster waiting to happen. He had another fumble wiped ut by a penalty last night. Danny'll get his shot in the playoffs I think.

As far as there being any "fair[ness]" in this world, forgettaboutit.

Tom Iron...

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
ShYOnn Greene sux royally & isn't worthy of a practice squad. Let's hope Danny gets more playoff reps...irregardless of how. I'm sick & tired of the caste hold-down of solid White athletes like Woodhead!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Dixie, I don't totally agree with you on Greene, but he is by no means a phenom like Woodhead could be. Woodhead is much faster, quicker, elusive and a big play threat. Greene is like a smaller Michael Bush type (ie. power, vision- one cut ability with some burst, but lacks a solid second gear and swivel. Plus Greene has been a disaster with ball security. In a fair world Woodhead would be getting at least a third of the carries right now, probably more!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In a semi-fair NFL, Woodhead would be to Greene what Leon Washington was to Thomas Jones.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Don, if coach Ryan gets worried about Shonn Greene's ball security issues he might actually be one coach with the courage to increase Wooehead's carries this playoffs to have him replace Leon's role. Woodhead actually seems popular with some of the team's black players like Hillis was last year. Both these guys are good natured guys with a sense of humor I have heard. Shonn Greene is averaging 5 YPC, but has had a couple awful games and has been fumbling...we'll see. I don't think the other RBs liked it, but a few black players were hugging Woodhead and getting pumped after his ridiculous near record breaking last pre-season game.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
BTW, Don I hear you on your above post. I look at it the same as what the Chargers plans should be for next season...Hester should be getting up to 2/3s of the carries next year with Sproles getting maybe just over 1/3. Tomlinson should be released, traded or forced out next year because he is hurting them and has rapidly declined. The thing is I think in a fair NFL- Woodhead would be regarded as a better runner than Sproles and would eventually get the reps of a Maurice Jones Drew type. Sproles is a better receiver/ return man than a runner and doesn't have the bulk of Woodhead.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Jets are getting rid of Thomas Jones Friday.

This leaves Leon Washington (coming back from a broken leg) and Shoone Greene. Washington might not be as good as he was and Greene is a bit of a fumbler and possibly injury prone.

There might be an opportunity here for Danny.

Tom Iron...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tom Iron said:
Jets are getting rid of Thomas Jones Friday.

This leaves Leon Washington (coming back from a broken leg) and Shoone Greene. Washington might not be as good as he was and Greene is a bit of a fumbler and possibly injury prone.

There might be an opportunity here for Danny.

Tom Iron...

From Rotoworld: Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is excited about backup RB Chauncey Washington, according to the New York Daily News. The Jets are expected to retain restricted free agent Leon Washington and could also pursue running back help in the draft and free agency. But as it stands now, Chauncey Washington is in the mix for No. 3 running back along with Danny Woodhead. We doubt the Jets are truly comfortable with Washington, a practice squad type, getting carries.
<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>
<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>The NFL will always find another Washington, or Jones, to play over a White man with running ability.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It boggles my mind that the Jets are so obsessed with this Shonne Greene guy. He's an average back at best but according to the Jets he's the future of the franchise.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Shonn Greene runs like Jacob Hester. He's good, but I don't think he'll be quite as much of an absolute phenom as Gerhart or Hillis could be at the NFL level. If the Jets are worried about the economy...let Leon go in free agency and let Woodhead get a 1/3-1/2 of the carries. Woodhead has shown glimpses of stardom whenever he gets a "small" chance.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The Jets will draft a running back and whoever they do draft will be given an opportunity to compete for the starting job. Woodhead will continue to be the number 3 guy no matter what. He'll be used on occasion just like this past season. Fat lard Rex Ryan would never even consider using Woodhead as the number 2 guy.

Youre probably right whiteathlete, but lets hope, PRAY, cross your fingers, whatever it takes that some serious barrierswill be knocked down next year. Just think...IF someone gives Toby a chance(very likely), Woodhead gets more reps(maybe), the Broncos release/trade Hillis(prob wont happen), with the departure of 2 HBs Hester gets a shot at HB(not likely), Brian Leonard creeps up the depth chart(again, not likely)....thats 5 white RBs getting playing time at HB!!! With the incoming "White WR class of 2010".....could you imagine!!! Oh well, I can dream cant I!!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Guys he will be battling for a job again in training camp. He is about the 3rd back now. If they draft a guy or bring in a proven veteran he will back to being a bubble boy. I hope he has another monster camp to force Ryan's hand again. A good camp won't be enough I'm afraid.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
This league is "SICK". It doesn't matter how talented a white player is, the NFL "HATES" diversity at most positions. Their hand is forced by the racist cultural Marxist media, dwfs, and by any racist and/or inner city thug type players (I'd say most teams have one or more of one of the aforementioned). A coaches or GMs job could be at risk if he "shakes" things up too much and tries to field a 50% or more white roster or start a white tailback that wasn't a huge name like Gerhart.

Jake Sharp, Danny Woodhead, Peyton Hillis? Who the hell are you?...Get to the back of the bus!
smiley21.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
It's an uphill battle. Danny's best bet is to start practicing catching punts and kickoffs and maybe even running routes. If anything he can become a Kevin Faulk type guy out of the backfield. We all know if Danny is to make the roster and battle for playing time he will have to do a variety of things well. White players have to be exceptionally good at everything or else they will neverget to start or playin the NFL. Coaches love to nit pickthe white guys.

Truthteller

Mentor
As well as Danny did in pre-season last summer, I expect him to be much better, faster and explosivethis summer, as he was coming off major knee surgery last year.

It's amazing how poorly Joe McKnight has fared so far with the Jets, but I still think Danny's only chance to make the team is if McKnight is not there. Joe will not be cut as a rookie, no matter how poorly he plays, as the Jets traded up to get him round 3. But if he's really so out of shape that he can't finish basic conditioning drills, the Jets could place him on injured reserve, as long as he sustains a minor injury and is willing to take a "redshirt year".

That would be the best case scenario for Danny and the Jets. For Danny, it would open a clear spot for him as the 3rd down back....for the Jets, it would give the staff an excuse to leave the better conditionedplayer, faster athlete on the team.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Good morning Truthteller,

It's my opinion danny is done with the Jets. But I think Mangini is watching closely and when Danny gets his walking papers, he'll be in Cleveland pdq.

Tom Iron...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The Jets got rid of Leon Washington to make room for afflete Greene to be the starter. Whether that works out well for Woodhead is still up in the air. They did sign Tomlinson but he's all but finished.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Woodhead is fourth on the depth chart. A likely scenario is that he'll be waived then put on the Jets' PS after no other team wants him, but will end up back on the team at some point during the season because of injuries, or if Tomlinson has nothing left.
It burns me up that the Jets draft Joe McKnight, whose conditioning is as poor or worseas that of the sumos on the team, while Woodhead once again is regarded as nothing more than camp filler and an emergency running back.Edited by: Don Wassall

white is right

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron said:
Good morning Truthteller,

It's my opinion danny is done with the Jets. But I think Mangini is watching closely and when Danny gets his walking papers, he'll be in Cleveland pdq.

Tom Iron...
"Mangenious" had a chance to sign Woodhead last year and he passed. I suspect if Woodhead gets cut he won't go to Cleveland. I suspect he is on the outside looking in again. The only way Mcknight gets cut is if he is real dog and refuses to practice or is a distraction in camp.

snow

Mentor
Highlander said:

I don't like what the first article has to say about him. Funny how most dwfs think this way about Woodhead. Here is the quote:

"There is no way a guy this little should be playing in the NFL, but the
dude just refuses to quit."Â￾

And this guy that wrote it LIKES Woodhead, but it seems most Jets fans see him as a "Rudy type". The guy is around the same size as other scat backs, runs a 4.3 and has incredible agility. It is nowhere near the case of an undersized overacheiver.

I responded with this:

"The guy is 5'9 195 pounds, lets compare that to Sproles who is 5'6
190 pounds, should Sproles not be playing in the NFL? Kevin Faulk 5'8
202 pounds, has he been too little to play in the NFL? Westbrook is 5'8
200 pounds, how has his career gone in the NFL? He also played a lower
level of competition in college, and ran a 4.56, Danny runs a 4.3, they
both have great quickness/agility and theres guys that are little taller
but weigh much less, like Desean Jackson, 5'10 175 pounds, he seemed to
do fine last year in the NFL"¦"¦..

Danny Woodhead is the all time leading rusher for NCAA football (not
including d3 where the players aren't on athletic scholarships)"

I left that a couple of days ago, it is still "awaiting approval". I don't think he is going to approve it because its going to make him look dumb.

Edited by: snow