Caste Matchups Week Nine

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Burkhead with a 27-yard TD reception. He also has 111 yards on 30 carries against a hard-nose MSU defense.

Rex has been the entire Cornhuskers offense today, with Martinez struggling a little bit today. He's the player Nebraska can't afford to lose.

Edit: Vanderbilt just forced an Arkansas turnover! The Commodores lead 21-17 in the 3rd Quarter.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
It's real nice watching that all white backfield drive Nebraska down the field. The Cornhuskers are about as good as it gets in major college football.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
My comment isn't directed toward any particular player or incident, but I do notice that whenever a White runningback's physical attributes are described, the adjectives used by the media are often those stereotypically used to describe a FULLBACK, even when those adjectives aren't appropriate.

As in, a fullback is stereotypically a big, bruising, battletank without finesse, but just runs over people with blunt force trauma. Basically, a Mack truck.

Those are arguably great compliments to make about a fullback OR a runningback too, but a White runningback typically isn't called "swift, graceful, lightning fast, untouchable, slippery," or other ridiculously overused compliments made toward Black runningbacks.

Same thing is true for boxers.

Most White boxers are supposedly just big dumb punchers who will smash your face in, but couldn't slip a punch if the fate of the White race depended on it. :icon_rolleyes:

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
It's real nice watching that all white backfield drive Nebraska down the field. The Cornhuskers are about as good as it gets in major college football.

Don't forget that Nebraska also plays a fair number of white guys on defense too. Rome, Steinkuhler, Meredith, Compton, Fisher, Blatchford, Thorrell, and Cassidy.

TD Vanderbilt!!! Up 28-17 on the Hogs.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree jaxvid and that is one I'm such a huge Huskers Fan. They just remind me of how it used to be and how it still can be on offense. Rex Burkhead is not only very athletic but his power, coordination and stamina are very good. The guy should start on Sundays in a fair world but it will be an uphill battle. All you have to do is look at guys like Hillis and Woodhead to understand that.

I really hope Nebraska can go the rest of the year undefeated. It would really shut up so many of the critics if they steam roll through the Big Ten Schedule like this in only their first year in the conference. They do all have the speed and power to win. We all know this but because of guys like Martinez and Burkhead, fans and the media find it hard to believe. Hoping for them to make it to a BCS Bowl Game later this year.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don't forget that Nebraska also plays a fair number of white guys on defense too. Rome, Steinkuhler, Meredith, Compton, Fisher, Blatchford, Thorrell, and Cassidy.

TD Vanderbilt!!! Up 28-17 on the Hogs.

That's very true, it's a pleasure to watch them on either side of the ball!

Highlander

Mentor
Arrghh, Vandy about ready to score again to maybe put the game away and they put the ball on the ground. Arkansas returns it for a TD and tie the game up 28-28 with a 2 point conversion.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Damn, Vanderbilt's RB just fumbled on the Razorback's 4, and proceeded to have it returned 96 yards for a TD. Game's tied at 28.

Nebraska's D-Line is getting some great pressure on Kirk Cousins today. Cam Meredith just sacked him.

Also, Duke is driving for the lead inside the 20, down 4 to VA. Tech in the 4th quarter.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Jacob Schmidt is having a good day for Northwestern, 15 carries for 110 yards 2 tds. If Line goes over 100 that will be 3 White runningbacks today to hit the 100 yard mark. If Brandon Wegher was still at Iowa there would be 3 White runningbacks in the big 10. Jacob Schmidt isn't technically a starter but will be leading runningbacks in yards after today. Mike Trumpy was before he was injured.

They can deny Hillis another shot but they will flooded with Burkhead and Line, Trumpy has pro potential as well imo. If McGuffie can put together a healthy season next year and put some numbers up he should have a shot with his measurables, not to mention JJ DiLuigi has potential has a hybrid 3rd down back/slot guy. The main ones are Burkhead and Line, plus they are coming out the same year, Wegher would be right up there so its really a shame he isn't playing.

I don't think we have had 2 top backs come out in the same year since Hester/Hillis. Hester only had the 1 year running and had previously played some fullback and Hillis was a fullback. Burkhead is the perfect size, can't put him at fullback and not small enough to try and force in the slot. Line would be easier to pigeon hole as a fullback but he plays rb in the run in shoot and hasn't blocked in his life, except in pass protection.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good points dwid. I love seeing the snow patrol of running backs in the Big Ten. Hopefully this trend continues!

I'm about to watch Collin Klein of the undefeated Kansas State Wildcats. This blonde bullet of a qb is a speedster who is
second in college in rushing for quarterbacks. Only Robinson of Michigan has more yards rushing per game. This kid can not
only run like the wind but he has a good arm as well. Hoping Jordy Nelsons old team can stay perfect today. Watch this kid
as he is special. Think of Taylor Martinez with a better arm. Go Kstate.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
How about Drake Dunsmore getting 4 TDs for Northwestern! Very nice performances by Rex Burkhead and Jacob Schmidt. Jordan Rogers has run for 2 TDs for Vandy so far. I hope they beat Arkansas. One White Vandy defender was just referred to as using "nothing but motor" to blow by the Hog line and get a big TFL.

Irn Bru

A highlight from a very disappointing season. Sean Sylvia, one of BC's 2 starting white freshman safeties picks off a pass, then Alex Amidon shows off his speed with a 21 yard reverse for a TD against Maryland.

Riddlewire

Master
When I saw AA Franklin send a black kicker out there, I knew Arkansas would win the game.

My mistake, he's Korean.
Or something

Highlander

Mentor
Unreal. Vandy kicker can't make a 27-yard FG to tie Arkansas with just seconds left on the clock.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Their black RB fumbles the game away and then their asian kicker misses a chip shot FG. They always shoot themselves in the foot. Sad but predictable.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Texas A&M loses to quotabacked MIZZOU in OT! :biggrin:

I guess a coal-black "D" is the way to go..

dwid

Hall of Famer
Do the coaches realize that its starting to get a little predictable when Line is going to run based on where he lines up? I am sure teams have caught onto it by now based on film. He lines up in one spot to run and one spot to pass block, at least for the most part. I guess it might be by design because you can work with the play action, mainly that screen play that goes both ways, sometimes they fake it and hand off to Line. I guess it just doesn't work as well when the qb isn't having much success.

Beachum is highly overrated. He is getting a ton of hype right now. Black left tackle on a White line + a White runningback doing well must mean he is a superstar. The only time he stands out is when he is getting penalized, otherwise he doesn't stick out and is very mediocre. I guess its like Ryan Clady with Boise St, they have tons of White lineman that do great, but the one black guy that does it is drafted top 15. He isn't even close to being an elite tackle.

Last edited:

Highlander

Mentor
Klein with a nice 42 yard TD run against OU to close the gap to 14-10.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yeah Klein is now averaging 8 yards per carry with that last run. He is explosive. I want to see Kstate win this game. I love seeing Eric Crouch type quarterbacks running wild. The media hates athletic white guys.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Im not sure why Oklahoma was around 14 point favorites to win this game. Kllein finds a way to keep them winning, I don't see it being any different today, if not he will come close to it. Its the 9th ranked team vs the 8th ranked team.

Landry just picked off, Klein with another big run, this is changing the momentum.

SMU's qb is doing horrible. They need to put the old guy back in.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
So the question I have is with KSU being undefeated, why don't they talk about Klein in the Heisman Race? Hell he doesn't even get even 10% of the praise of overrated D.Robinson of Michigan. Yeah there is no agenda here is there? What a joke! He has almost 100 yards and 2 touchdowns rushing and we are not even close to halftime and this is against Oklahoma. What a stud! Wake up sheeple.:crazy:

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Another note from the Nebraska game, Lance Thorell had an INT in the 1st quarter against Mich. State.

Reilly O'Toole is in for the Illini at QB now. Too bad he won't stay in the whole game though.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Colin Klein with 96 yards on 10 carries for K State in the first half so far....

dwid

Hall of Famer
Another note from the Nebraska game, Lance Thorell had an INT in the 1st quarter against Mich. State.

Reilly O'Toole is in for the Illini at QB now. Too bad he won't stay in the whole game though.

Justin Blatchford had a nice pass deflection stopping any momentum of a Mich St comeback, he had his receiver blanketed. They seem to have a ton of White dbs, I think the walk on system is helping them have this many Whites. It seems like teams are less willing to use scholarships on a White guy until he is proven. Just imagine what they are missing out on for the guys that can't afford to walk on. Blatchford and Thorell were both walk ons despite having impressive high school careers. It also helps them continue to look "diverse". "We tried to recruit the highly touted guys, they are just getting out played". Cody Green was a 4 star recruit at qb and hasn't done squat.

Last edited:

TwentyTwo

Master
Klien looking fantastic! 13 carries 104 yds 1 TD still 5 min in 1st half...nice speed at 6'-5" 226!

Congrats Nebraska & Northwestern!