Caste Free: White Draft Candidates

j41181

Master
Freethinker said:
6'-9" Ryan Kelly (5 star)
6'-10" Mason Plumlee (4 star)
6'-10" Miles Plumlee (3 star)
6'-7" Olek Czyz (3 star)
If these 4 were to get extended playing time, then Singler, Scheyer, and the overrated Henderson have to go. That may very well open things for them. But I'm sure Singler and Scheyer will stay, while Henderson boldly declares for the draft.Edited by: j41181

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Freethinker said:
I agree Mullin needs to stay, instead of waste away on an NBA bench.

As for Singler, I would love to see him jump to the NBA. I think he can step in and be an effective player right away. The other reason I say this I would like to see Duke's young white fowards get more minutes next year.

6'-7" Olek Czyz (3 star)

I think Singler should stay at Duke.
In fact I think all white basketball players should stay 4 yrs at college. There is a huge caste system in the NBA. It is better for the white players to stay in college, get more experience, let their bodies mature, get more playing time, and get more confidence before going into the pros. Besides, the longer he stays in, the more likely he is to be a high draft choice in future years. Going in early, is just a sentence to warming an NBA bench.

j41181

Master
jacknyc said:
Freethinker said:
I agree Mullin needs to stay, instead of waste away on an NBA bench.

As for Singler, I would love to see him jump to the NBA. I think he can step in and be an effective player right away. The other reason I say this I would like to see Duke's young white fowards get more minutes next year.

6'-7" Olek Czyz (3 star)

I think Singler should stay at Duke.
In fact I think all white basketball players should stay 4 yrs at college. There is a huge caste system in the NBA. It is better for the white players to stay in college, get more experience, let their bodies mature, get more playing time, and get more confidence before going into the pros. Besides, the longer he stays in, the more likely he is to be a high draft choice in future years. Going in early, is just a sentence to warming an NBA bench.
Actually, most whites stay 4 years in college. But there is a growing number who stay just 2-3 years. Guys like Spencer Hawes, Kevin Love and Mike Miller though, have taken advantage of injuries and roster shake-ups on their respective teams. It's Kosta Koufos and Josh McRoberts who made the big mistakes.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as bizarre as it seems, whites who play 4 years of college ball are usually penalized by NBA scouts and GMs, claiming they have no upside.

also, i used to abhor Gerald Henderson, but i'm going to give credit where it's due. he's been playing great basketball the past two months. he deserves the credit he's getting now.

the problem is, he's been getting FAR TOO MUCH undeserved praise for the last 2 1/2 years. he's been hyped beyond his game until January of '09. but now he's looking a lot like the old Grant Hill, minus the passing ability.

j41181

Master
Yeah, Gerald Henderson is OK, just too much credit being given to him. Jon Scheyer's defensive game is quite similar to ex-Duke, Shane Battier.

j41181

Master
Josh Heytvelt just went BOOOM!!!!

29 points (ties career high) in a win over Santa Clara. Matt Bouldin also played great with 23 points!!!!

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
as bizarre as it seems, whites who play 4 years of college ball are usually penalized by NBA scouts and GMs, claiming they have no upside.

also, i used to abhor Gerald Henderson, but i'm going to give credit where it's due. he's been playing great basketball the past two months. he deserves the credit he's getting now.

the problem is, he's been getting FAR TOO MUCH undeserved praise for the last 2 1/2 years. he's been hyped beyond his game until January of '09. but now he's looking a lot like the old Grant Hill, minus the passing ability.

I completely agree with that last statement. Gerald Henderson has actually become Duke's most efficient scorer, unless you want to count Zoubek who isn't getting even close to as many minutes. But Henderson isn't the kind of guy who finds a lot of easy baskets for his teammates with passes from what I've watched.

However, if he keeps scoring like this the opposing D will be so focused on him in the March Madness tournament that it should open up more shooting lanes for Singler (who's a phenomenal passer), Paulus (who's a good passer for a PG) and Scheyer (a good passer for a SG).

If you want to talk about a black Dukie who's overrated it would be Nolan Smith IMO; takes too many bad shots and isn't as good as Paulus; turns the ball over more than Paulus too. (Paulus is not as good a scorer as Smith, but makes up for it by taking less shots and play-making skills). Smith is o.k but doesn't deserve the glowing praise he gets from some of the announcers.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

j41181

Master
Smith is out with an injury, Paulus should get some playing time for now. Henderson's passing game is greatly improving though. He's developing a team player attitude, he's presence will no doubt play a big role for the successes of Singler and Scheyer.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:

That's exactly my point. Staying in college 4 years doesn't benefit any player, white or black, in improving his chances at making the pros. Unless the guy comes out of no where like Joe Alexander did last year. If a white guy is good and is projected to get drafted after his freshmen or sophomore year, I think most guys should take it. What does Singler have to prove by staying? Sure he could improve his points and rebounds per game but I think scouts would only nit pick his game more and bring up lack of "upside" with his increased age.

Like I said before, Duke has 4 fowards(2 in coming freshman and 2 returning sophs) that need mins. Scheyer and Henderson leaving/staying matters little. Singer leaving early would. Obviously if he wants to stay he has every right to and I would support that. Just my opinion.Edited by: Freethinker

j41181

Master
In my opinion, the recommended stay for whites in college should be 2-3 years.

Being a 23 year old rookie today is not what the NBA wants. That's why I have big doubts for Tyler Hansbrough (23 years old).

Whites (Foreign or American) have to be very good at the age range 19-21 years old to be attractive to the NBA. Edited by: j41181

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
j41181 said:

29 points (ties career high) in a win over Santa Clara. Matt Bouldin also played great with 23 points!!!!

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

that was actually his second game in a row where he set a new career high. he went for 28 the game before. also, his rebound numbers have been very strong of late.

Heytvelt is certainly showing up at the right time this year.

j41181

Master
Jimmy Chitwood said:
j41181 said:

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

that was actually his second game in a row where he set a new career high. he went for 28 the game before. also, his rebound numbers have been very strong of late.

Heytvelt is certainly showing up at the right time this year.
I honestly have seen little of Heytvelt in real action. But, after watching him in a highlight replay against North Carolina (he had 29 points that game), he reminds me a lot of Spencer Hawes. They both have the same height, same build, same haircut, and same face (from a distance). Even though Heytvelt is 2 years older (1986, Hawes is 1988). That was 2 years ago, I'm sure he's grown his hair, and has added some muscles to look distinct from Hawes. But his game may still be similar to Hawes, but Heytvelt has a more refined outside shot. Edited by: j41181

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Heytvelt doesn't have nearly as good a back-to-the-basket game as Hawes. however, he is a better leaper and has better range. Heytvelt (or perhaps Cole Aldrich of Kansas) is likely the most athletic 6-11 player in the country.

the only thing Heytvelt doesn't have to make him a sure-thing NBA lottery pick is consistency and black skin. Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Realistic

Ogilvy had 33 points and 10 boards against #11 LSU last night. He's been sick or injured most of the year and is just now getting to 100%. Last Saturday he had 28 against South Carolina.

j41181

Master
Realistic said:
Ogilvy had 33 points and 10 boards against #11 LSU last night. He's been sick or injured most of the year and is just now getting to 100%. Last Saturday he had 28 against South Carolina.
Despite those back to back performances, it's been a rough season for Ogilvy, after having a wonderful freshman year. He'll need to spend another year in college to improve his stock for the NBA.