Brian Leonard 23

Speaking as a Rams fans, I know in the Martz offense he worked his RB's alot. Linehan is even heavier on RB carries but it seems to only go to one guy. Stephen Davis, when he was Steven Jackson's backup, did get a few carries here and there but only really played to spell Jackson or when he was injured. Now Leonard has more skills that Stephen Davis, but why is he listed as the 2nd string FB??? Given, Jackson is one of the best backs in the NFL, but Brian should at least be the backup RB instead of the backup FB...At the site, it shows the RB depth chart as Jackson, Kay-Jay Harris, Travis Minor, Stephen Davis and Rich Alexis. On the FB side it show Madison Hedgecock then Leonard. Can someone verify this garbage????....Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me!!!
smiley7.gif

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/STL

P.S. Notice how they put Drew Bennett as Torry Holt's backup instead of Bruce's backup. If the Rams only run a 2 WR set, he'll never see the field. Notice how all of the good skill players in FB (Bennett, Leonard, Hillis at Arkansas, Smith at Auburn) are always stuck behind maybe the one or two black player in the nation who actually are just as good as them. And with everything being equal, they never see the field? Can never get a break
smiley7.gif
Edited by: mrjohnnynofear

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to keep in mind is that the NFL.com depth charts, though theywould seem to be"official," are not. Often they aren't updated for long periods, or are just plain wrong. I've learned this through years of playing fantasy football.Quality fantasy sites are often better places to find outwhere players standon teams.

It's all upto Linehan and his staff as to how Leonard, Bennett and all other players are used. We can only hope for the best but because it's the NFL expect the worst.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
mrjohnnynofear said:
Speaking as a Rams fans, I know in the Martz offense he worked his RB's alot. Linehan is even heavier on RB carries but it seems to only go to one guy. Stephen Davis, when he was Steven Jackson's backup, did get a few carries here and there but only really played to spell Jackson or when he was injured. Now Leonard has more skills that Stephen Davis, but why is he listed as the 2nd string FB??? Given, Jackson is one of the best backs in the NFL, but Brian should at least be the backup RB instead of the backup FB...At the site, it shows the RB depth chart as Jackson, Kay-Jay Harris, Travis Minor, Stephen Davis and Rich Alexis. On the FB side it show Madison Hedgecock then Leonard. Can someone verify this garbage????....Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me!!!
smiley7.gif

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/STL

P.S. Notice how they put Drew Bennett as Torry Holt's backup instead of Bruce's backup. If the Rams only run a 2 WR set, he'll never see the field. Notice how all of the good skill players in FB (Bennett, Leonard, Hillis at Arkansas, Smith at Auburn) are always stuck behind maybe the one or two black player in the nation who actually are just as good as them. And with everything being equal, they never see the field? Can never get a break
smiley7.gif
Calm down man, Brian Leonard is gonna be their 2nd RB...this depth chart is garbage and really not official

backrow

Hall of Famer
he's listed as a second string RB on kffl.com who i find very reliable.Edited by: backrow

jared

Mentor
I go to NFL.com, then follow the links at the top to each team's individual website. On the Rams site, Leonard is listed in a 7-way tie for third string on the RB depth chart behind Travis Minor. Incidentally, Brad Lau is listed under RB as well, not FB. Maybe their webmaster was just lazy.

Trust me Linehan is gonna be fair, he will play Bennet and Leonard. If they play well they will get more snaps, but you have to remember both bennett and Leonard are back ups to amazing players.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you have to remember that both Bennett and Leonard are amazing players, too.
smiley2.gif
and they have the talent to be starters on their own merits.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
you have to remember that both Bennett and Leonard are amazing players, too.
smiley2.gif
 and they have the talent to be starters on their own merits.
Leonard may or may not have the talent, we do not know yet, but Drew certainly does.

backrow said:
yes, Leonard just walked on from the street so he is a total unknown...
smiley22.gif
Wow, talk about an over reaction. I said we dont know if he has the talent to start in the NFL yet, and we dont.

BTW here are some tidbits from Jeff Gordon. STL post dispatch writer:

chuck: Jeff, I appreciate your coverage of the Rams, you do a great job.

I am greatly concerned about the Rams lack of depth at the RB position. It seems like we are just one injury away
from catastrophe at that position. What can you tell me about Jacksons back-ups that would ease my concerns ?

Jeff Gordon: The Rams spent a high pick on Leonard to fill in as the feature back, should Jackson get hurt. He will also be the third-down passing down back and third-down short-yardage back, in some formations. He is a north-south runner with great hands and decent wheels. He is a big upgrade from Stephen Davis

John D.: Was Brian Leonard a necessity in the second round for the Rams this year? And why do you think he was rated as highly as he was in the draft? He started for three full seasons and never producing a thousand yards rushing. Minus Brian Leonard's receiving yards his stats are similar to those of Jackie Battle who signed as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Cowboys.

Jeff Gordon: Look at his size/speed combination and his hands. He wasn't drafted to start at RB, he was drafted to play FB, third-down receiving back, back-up RB and maybe some H-Back. Linehan likes a power offense and he fits that mold.

Edited by: GSOT

Freedom

Mentor
John D is another one of those stat conscious retards. "He never produced a one thousand yard season." They gave all the carries to Rice. Not getting carries has nothing to do with how good a running back someone is. Disgraceful commentary.

They don't do that with exclusively white running backs--they don't have enough white running backs to use that technique exclusively, so they practice on blacks sometimes, after of course complementing their superior athleticism. So you should see them mislead the viewers all of the time. But when a white RB comes along, they always trash his rushing yard totals.Edited by: Freedom

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
GSOT, as a Rutgers fan I can tell you alot about Leonard and his so called "lack of production." Leonard's 4.1 yards a carry was actually pretty impressive as a redshirt freshman. It was the only year he actually played as a fulltime HB for Rutgers. Rutgers was so overmatched back then, they were the worst in the big East, and their O-line was consistently manhandled.

I still do not know why in Leonard's second year they moved him to a FB role. He was clearly the best HB on the team. I think Shiano saw the recruiting classes getting better and thought a white RB could hurt the programs image. He may not have realized back then the player Leonard was and just moved him to the typical caste role of a big white RB. Not surprisingly Leonard's stats went down to 3.7 yards per carry as a FB as a sophmore.

Leonard is not a pure hardnosed straight ahead runner at all so running as a FB is hard for him. Leonard was misused his entire career at Rutgers and still put up 4.5 yards a carry this year. This year he carried the ball only in limited action usually when the other team could read the play, in short yardage etc.

Leonard is alot like Terrell Davis IMO. He does everything well but nothing great. I could see him putting up Terrell Davis, Larry Johnson, or S. Alexander type numbers in the right system that utilized good blocking.

All these aforementioned guys including Leonard are good at reading their blocks and making strong cuts and then breaking a couple tackles. In fact Leonard is faster than Alexander and Larry Johnson, although I think his vision and "shake" isn't quite as good. I'd compare Leonard to Terrell Davis a little more than those two.

Also note how much Alexander's stats went down this year after Seattle lost Steve Hutchinson the best OG in the league to free agency. Leonard is no Barry Sanders or Ladamian Tomlinson. Those aforementioned guys can create a play all by themselves out of nothing. However, I think McGuffie has the capability to be that aforementioned type of player. I know he's only in H.S, but his video's are simply mesmorizing.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I can't wait to see Brian in action! When is their first pre-season game and who is it against?

Bart

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
Looks kind slim, strong, but a little slim there. Maybe he isn't putting on as much weight as they say .

He probably doesn't want them to shift him to fullback. He would look larger in full pads. Judging by the development ofthe tear drop muscle just above the knee, I'd suspect his legs are very strong and large. Edited by: Bart

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. It certianly does not look like he is gonna be a lead blocker
smiley4.gif

Looks like Linehan was telling the truth and is gonna use him as a recieving/running threat first, blocker second.

The first pre season game is the Vikings on August 10th, but the first nationally telivised game is the Chargers on the 18th :)

I cant friggin wait, i am so excited.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info, GSOT. I would have thought backrow would have been all over than one.
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info, GSOT. I would have thought backrow would have been all over than one.
smiley2.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
smiley2.gif

smiley17.gif
i missed your question Col, you should have gone double post with that too
smiley36.gif

and yeah, can't wait to see him in action. should be a joy to watch. pre-season is best part of the year from white runningbacks standpoint, since it's pretty much the only time when we'll see likes of Eckel, Kuhn, Burks carry the rock. let's hope this season is different and even if not, Leonard will be an exception.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
and yeah, can't wait to see him in action. should be a joy to watch. pre-season is best part of the year from white runningbacks standpoint, since it's pretty much the only time when we'll see likes of Eckel, Kuhn, Burks carry the rock. let's hope this season is different and even if not, Leonard will be an exception.

I was just gonna make that point, but you beat me to it.

Yeah, I could see Leonard having a pre-season game with 20+ carries. Leonard is a rookie who has gotten some hype and he is clearly the second best RB on the Rams. The Rams will want to take a look at and develop his game to backup Jackson. I expect the Rams to use Jackson at RB less than other teams use their starter in the pre-season because of Leonard and the fact that Jackson is already a top 5 NFL RB and too important to the team to have injured.

I love the pre-season. It often shows how talented some of the white backups are (who should be starting) to any fan who doesn't have the blinders on to the caste-system. Stellar pre-season play may only land you on the practice squad though in Chicago.
smiley11.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Freedom

Mentor
If a runningback gets 20 carries in an early pre season game, that could mean the team is considering cutting him, but not sure about it. Basically, for a white player, it means that the team might want him for special teams and for a "good locker room presence" if he can play.