Black friends?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
jaxvid said:
wise words fellow castefootball member with whom I have no personal connection.....
<div> </div>
<div>I thought you didn't have any friends.</div>

edited for correction!!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
smiley36.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
Those last five posts should be on CF's Comedy HOF!!!
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree. Hilarious!
smiley36.gif

Tom Iron

Mentor
I think this is an important thread. It's been my experience that we can be friends with blacks, up to a certain unsaid point. If that is undestood between the two parties, then everything is fine. In my own case, those frienships I had/have with blacks centered on my work (I had/have very little, if any contact with them otherwise).

One experience I had with two black guys at work was awhile back during the first million man march. There were two black guys on the job who told me they were going. I told them they were making a mistake because they were working men and had nothing to do with those people who would be there. They said they were going and that was that. The day after the event, I asked them how it was? They both looked down. I asked again. They told me the guy who they bought the bus tickets from stiffed them and a lot of other people (there was no bus, just a lot of blacks standing on a street corner waiting for a bus that didn't show up). I just looked at them and shook my head. They knew they should have listened.

Anther incident occured up on a job in Harlem. There was a young black guy who was a good young guy and into the work. He just wanted to do the work and was really enthusiastic. I was impressed and gave him ever more challenging work and he did well. We used to have luch together and one day he didn't have lunch with us and the next day as well. I asked him what was up and he told me the other black guys on the job had collared him and told him to have lunch with the brothers. I saw him a couple of years later at a union meeting and he was just another of the black rabble.

I had plenty more situations like this over the years and I understand now how the game is played.

So, there are always limits. Don't go beyond those unsaid limits and everything is fine. Ignore them and there could/will be problems.

newguy

Guru
I agree it is okay to have black friends, but there are limits. I would never take any part in helping a black guy meet white girls, even if I considered him a friend. I notice when I go to the mall there are always white guys hanging with black guys and they are looking to hang out with white girls. I have never in my life seen balck guys hanging out with white guys trying to introduce them to black girls (even though the white guys wouldn't want the black girls anyway).

If you read web posts of white guys that have dated black girls, they always say that it isn't worth it. They are verbally abused by black guys and even threatned with voilence by black guys, if they are seen with black girls. I even read one post by a white guy that said when he dated a black girl at work, that black co-workers that he considered freinds, were disgusted that he was dating a black girl, and these were black guys that dated white girls regularly.

I think sometimes we white males make it a little too comfortable for black guys to date white women. Do some of these guys that hang out with black guys think that if they were in a premodiantly black school, and they tried to date the best looking black girl (I know they don't exist), that their balck freinds would stand by them, I think not.

snow

Mentor
I agree there are limits. Its okay to have black friends at work or at school, anything beyond that is too much imo. The two cultures are completely different to get alongimo from personal experience growing up in New Orleans and attending an all black school for several years and having spent time with some outside of school.

There are a few exceptions to the rule. I knew a blind black man(well partiallyblind, hadseveral surgeries, some successful for a little while)who was cool.Said hehated n****rs (his words) and said it all the time. Said they always play the victim card and want every one to help them out and wonder why they still areliving in a crappy situation. Play the victim and you will be a victim. He said this in front of my ex and it upsether, who was a little liberal and pc (now ex of course). This type of talk from a black man disturbed her, she tried to argue abouthow they grow upand situations they are put in but he shut her down easily havign grown up in that exact situation. This was before Iwasracially aware but still saw the difference between an honest black and the other word. Unfortunately here in New Orleans most tend to be peices of crap. And most white people from New Orleans have the same opinion. There is asaying here, there are black people and there are *******. In fact when we lived in New Orleans East it was mostly white, but there were honest black families moving in to get away from the bad elements, the more bus routes that went to the east the worse it got.

There is also this rich man who lives in the middle of nowhere in Louisiana. Had doubts about coming back to his hometownbecause of stupid **** (his words not mine). He had a bunch of expensive stuff in his shed and was worried about leaving it there since his houseis down the road andit is a small town that is mostly black. He told everyone that it was haunted and he didn't like going in there because it was haunted. Before that it had been broken into despite growing bamboo around it to hide it and locking it up well. It hasn't been touched since.

Other than that haven't met too many with good intentions. They seem much nicer in places like Colorado, when they are a small minority.Edited by: snow

snow

Mentor
newguy said:
I think sometimes we white males make it a little too comfortable for black guys to date white women. Do some of these guys that hang out with black guys think that if they were in a premodiantly black school, and they tried to date the best looking black girl (I know they don't exist), that their balck freinds would stand by them, I think not.
The best looking black girl is the one with the lightest skin (according to most black guys), and the black friends would do everything possible to hook up with the chick instead of the white guy, butsome have no problem with sharing which is gross. Sloppy seconds ewwwww.

I don't know any white guys that make it too comfortable for black guys to date white women. I think its different herewhere I live.If you get with a black guy you are trash and tainted goods.

LabMan

Mentor
Tom Iron.....,I know that you were an ironworker,and I at one time was a bridgepainter,I don't have to tell you how closely our two trades worked together,and I can say that the racial dynamics that you point out are on the money in the painters union also!,your posts here,and at other sites are much appreciated!..........LabMan