B*tchin about "minority" coaches

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Thing about former players making good coaches is that the only positions that are going to make coaching material is QB and maybe offensive line, the white dominated positions. Does anyone really expect a black cornerback that scored 11 on his Wonderlic test to end up being a coach???

Bart

Hall of Famer
Peter King laments the lack of progress in hiring minority coaches. Of coursein his chosen field the lack of minority writers doesn't seem to be a problem. These hypocrites are always eager to supplant a white man with a black in every field other than their own. I would suggest that Peter set a good example and campaign for more minority hires among his bretheren.

King: In a league in which approximately two-thirds of the players are minorities, the lack of progress on the minority coaching front is a black eye, particularly when three black men -- Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis -- did some of the best coaching in the NFL this year. I thought the NFL was becoming a progressive league in the hiring arena. But with no additional minority hires as head coaches -- and, just as important, no increase so far in key front-office positions -- the league has taken a giant step backward this month.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Michael Smith wrote an article for ESPN regarding the lack of minority head coaches and few looks they received during this round of vacancies. He said that the NFL 'could do better.' For the entire article, click here.

I took a moment to email him my thoughts concerning the lack of minority coaches in the NFL. I have enclosed the text here for your perusal.

Dear Mr. Smith,
Although I understand that the NFL feels the need to add diversity to the ranks of coaches in the NFL, doesn't it beg the question, where is the diversity among the leagues running backs and corner backs? There is not one starting white running back or corner back in the league. Do you personally feel that this is strictly a lack of ability on the part of white athletes to play those positions at the professional level? Or is there possibly a stereotype at work similar to that which black quarterbacks had to overcome? If it *is* strictly a lack of ability, could it also be said that perhaps blacks do not have the same level of skill to coach and organize as their white counterparts?

I'm certain that you do not feel that to be the case about black head coaches. Nor do I. But I am also of the opinion that there have to be at least ONE or TWO white men who are good enough to play running back and corner back in the NFL who have not been given the opportunity because of racial stereotypes.

I'm interested in hearing your opinion on this matter and what suggestions you may have for white athletes to break the color barrier at running back and corner back in the NFL.

Thank you for your time.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good message White Shogun! I am curious to see if you get a response. Out of the dozens of letters and email I have left with reporters discussing related topics, only two of them took time to respond to me, and only one of those was intellectually honest in their reply.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I will let everyone know if I do receive a reply.