B*tchin about "minority" coaches

emt1

Guru
Watching PTI today and they keep bitching on why there is no new black or "minority" coaches................the nfl is already 72% black...............any comments?

guest301

Hall of Famer
If they would complain just as much about no white cornerbacks and tailbacks, I would pay attention to their concerns about minority coaches. There are plenty of those already.

G

Greenberg said something about the white male coaches during sportscenter too, its one debate I am sick of.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Why would anyone hire a minority as a coach when year in and year out it is white coaches who succeed in the playoffs? While some black coaches do have some regular season success (Dennis Green, Tony Dungy) they have nothing to show for it when it counts.

The biggest myth of this argument is that there should be more Black coaches then there are Blacks in society. Society is roughly 10% Black. The NFL has, what, 5 Black head coaches (Edwards, Green, Crennell, Dungy & Smith) which is roughly 16%. The true racists are the media that assume since there are 70%+ Blacks in the sport that there should be more in the coaching ranks. As if you need to play in the NFL to be qualified to coach in the NFL. I think we should start a movement to fire a Black coach or two to even out the percentages.

Why doesn't the press mention the generally lousy performance of black coaches? That's a more interesting question.

JD074

Master
So if blacks are 70% of NFL players and, therefore, should be roughly 70% of NFL head coaches, then should white players be roughly 30% of NFL running backs, cornerbacks, and wide receivers? Hmm.... I doubt if the NFL is concerned with that discrepancy. Until the league makes a concerted effort to ensure that white players are treated fairly, I'll ignore the pleas for more black coaches.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing how teams are still hiring white coaches in spite of the PC minefield they have to go through, and seeing how many teams are going with white quarterbacks in spite of the endless propaganda about the "dawn of the new quarterback" is evidence thatthe Caste System's voodoo beliefshaven't yet renderedall executives and coachesbraindead when it comes to those two most important positions.

But when it comes to every other position, the undeniable white abilities in intelligence, feel for the game, consistency, unselfishness, willingness to get every yard out of every play, play hurt, better hand-eye coordination, and strength,are cast aside, as is the fact that the far greater number of white players who play football at a high skill level in high school means that there are just as many fast whites as blacks available to be made into topnotch players.

My senior class at Matre Dei high school in California consisted of
TWELVE players who could run the 40 in under 4.7.... we were faster
then those black kids in LA... however, scouts claimed that we
lacked quickness.

This is insane... we were faster... we won the CIF D1 championship... we were better

our skill players should have been recruted ... its very depressing...

The truth is, at least in southern california whites can jump higher and run faster then blacks..

I will bring some prof to this website as soon as i can obtain it

backrow

Hall of Famer
you know what's funny, most of those coaches that are already in NFL are pretty light-skinned aren't they? Dungy for example

OC Football - I remember your coach remarking on some of this stuff a
few years back. It was sad how many parents would be intimidated (or
brainwashed) when he would suggest their kid be a receiver, back etc.
because of their exceptional speed. He said some of the parents would
freak, and want him to move their kid to another position, and not have
him give them the old "... Brigham Young story,". He went on to explain
how his white teams would dominate the black teams every year,
especially in the tackle box, be ranked at the top nationally, and get no
credit. I remember Edison High in Huntington Beach, which was another
white football powerhouse (until the influx of govt. sponsored Mexicans)
beating the daylights out of black and black/Samoan L.A. High School
teams like Banning, Carson and Gardena. The fast, athletic, agile white
kids were ignored come recruitment time - or if they made it to a decent
school, they were held back in line behind inferior players who had higher
melanin contents. Edited by: Colonel Callan

hedgehog

Mentor
This column appeared in the star and tribune newspaper. This is the kind of crap sports writers are putting out. This guy basically ridicules every white guy that was recentlyhired as a head coach. Here is the bulk of his article.......

If you subtract the Herm Edwards transaction, in which he left the Jets for the Chiefs, there were nine NFL head coaching jobs available this month.

Six teams have hired white assistant coaches with no previous NFL head coaching experience. One (Houston) is about to hire a white assistant coach with no previous NFL head coaching experience. One (Buffalo) might hire a white guy who does have NFL head coaching experience. And one (Al Davis' Oakland) will hire anyone desperate enough to take orders from Davis, which limits the coaching search to seeing-eye dogs, manservants and Ed McMahon.

This year's class of coaching hires is in danger of becoming the Average White Band, just when we thought the coaching fraternity had a chance to become a Rainbow Coalition.

The nine teams with openings met the requirements of the Rooney Rule and interviewed minority candidates.

Those men will be reduced to tokens if all of the coaches who are hired turn out to be white.

And if that, indeed, becomes the case, then we will find ourselves in Phase 3 of NFL minority-hiring trends.

Phase 1 was the bad ol' days, when minorities weren't considered candidates, much less coveted leaders. This lasted as long as the Paleolithic Era, and can be remembered as similarly primitive.

Phase 2 occured in recent years, leading to this season, when Tony Dungy, Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith -- half of the NFL's black head coaches -- became coach of the year candidates. (The other three black coaches are Edwards, who has made the playoffs; Dennis Green, who has twice qualified for the NFC title game; and Romeo Crennel, a renowned former defensive coordinator.)

Phase 3? That could be occurring this winter, as NFL teams carefully interview minority candidates, nod their heads approvingly, then rush out to hire the white guy with the biggest jaw. (Or, in the Vikings' case, the biggest mustache.)

You would think the track records of the current black coaches would prompt NFL owners to strongly consider minority candidates. Apparently, the Cover-2 defense and West Coast offense are NFL trends to admire, but hiring a minority as head coach is something you applaud only when others do it.

Take the St. Louis Rams. They will hire Scott Linehan, the former Vikings offensive coordinator, over Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who is Latino.

Linehan vs. Rivera: Doesn't that look like a tossup, or perhaps a matchup slightly favoring Rivera, who ran the Bears' fearsome defense this season?

Linehan is relatively inexperienced. He's talented, promising and a good guy. Which is the way you hear Rivera described.

Take the Vikings. They broke land speed records in hiring Brad Childress, who appears competent but has never been a head coach. Compare his résumé to that of, say, Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis or Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, and it's hard to distinguish one from another.

Take the Packers. They hired someone named Mike McCarthy, whose claim to fame was running the so-called offense of the San Francisco 49ers, and developing No. 1 draft pick Alex Smith into the worst quarterback since Marty Domres.

Lewis, Caldwell and Rivera got passed over for this guy?

Admittedly, this is tricky stuff. We all know that if nine teams hire new coaches, at least a couple should, considering the number of black players and assistant coaches in the league, be minorities. But it's tough to say which team is making a mistake.

I have no idea if Childress will be better than Caldwell, or if Linehan will be better than Rivera.

Each team, in its own vacuum, can justify its hire. And each team, by virtue of the price of NFL franchises and the highly competitive nature of the league, must be allowed to operate without micro-managing interference from the league.

But c'mon, all you NFL bosses, let's get real. If Lions GM Matt Millen, the Inspector Clouseau of sports executives, hires a low-profile white assistant, can it really be a great idea?

Jim Souhan can be heard 10 a.m.-noon Sundays on KSTP AM 1500. - jsouhan@startribune.com

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jim needs to go off to some liberal hole and jump in it. The last thing we need is someone like him on the air. At least he'll be remembered as a loyal black jock-sniffer at his funeral.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Actually, outside of his argument that a minority candidate should be selected because he is, well, a minority, he makes a few good points about some of these selections:

Mike McCarthy? The 49ers offense was woefully awful, and evident to everyone who follows the NFL. Why was he selected? Because he is Brett Favre's buddy. Instead of thinking about the post-Favre era and hiring a coach longterm, they take a guy to buddy up with Favre for his last year before retirement.

Scott Linehan? Is he the miracle worker behind Brad Johnson's comeback and savior of the Vikings, or the idiot who has co-captained the disaster that was Culpepper?

There have to be better candidates out there than these two, and you can toss Herm Edwards in the mix with these two if you like.

But until they notice that there are no white running backs and corner backs in the league, I couldn't care less that they are not hiring minority coaches. These guys are so quick to jump on the bandwagon that blacks are naturally better athletes, faster and stronger than their white counterparts, but are NOT ready to accept that maybe, just maybe, there is something intrinsic in white men that make them better coaches and better leaders?

Fuhgeddabodit.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah some of those new head coaches are questionabale decisions at best... but since they got hired there must be something that those temas like about them...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
At least teams weren'trunning out and hiring failed Caste System fanatics like Steve Mariucci, Mike Sherman, Mike Tice and Jim Haslet. I'd rather see black coaches hired than retread white coaches whobelieve in fieldingvirtually all-black teams year after year.

It's discouraging that there's no demand for Mike Martz, who has a great football mind and had a contender every season in St. Louis and is now healthy again.

bigunreal

Mentor
I agree with you completely about Martz, Don. How can you fire a guy,
even if he didn't have the solid winning record he had, who became very
sick and missed the last 11 games of the season? Talk about a lack of
basic compassion. I can only imagine if the pathetic Herm Edwards got a
serious staph infection and missed most of the season, and his team
umceremoniously fired him right after the season was over, the kind of
outrage we would see on the part of the usual suspect black "leaders"
and all the lame, wannabe comedians that pose as "journalists." They'd
be going nuts about how unfair it was. I haven't heard a single voice
anywhere in our kept press who has protested the firing of Martz. I
also echo other comments expressed here about reserving my concern
about the lack of minority coaches until the same people who are
obsessed about that issue become just as concerned about the lack of
white running backs, defensive backs and wide receivers.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
At least teams weren't running out and hiring failed Caste System fanatics like Steve Mariucci, Mike Sherman, Mike Tice and Jim Haslet. I'd rather see black coaches hired than retread white coaches who believe in fielding virtually all-black teams year after year.

It's discouraging that there's no demand for Mike Martz, who has a great football mind and had a contender every season in St. Louis and is now healthy again.

Good point, Don. Now that you mention it, its actually quite surprising that none of those guys have been hired yet.

Norv Turner is going across the bay as the new offensive coordinator for the 49ers. Al Saunders is the new o-coordinator for the 'Skins. Capers and Caldwell interviewed for the Bills head coaching job. Whats your view of these guys?

Deacon

Guru
Does anyone watch 1st and 10 on ESPN?

Anyway, Woody Paige was ranting last week about the
lack of new black head coaches as well. He's gotten some e-mails
regarding it saying "who the hell cares about minority coaches." (here
here) but he went on to say that it was about righting a wrong and who
cares if it creates an imbalance. Chalk up another dumb white guy who
wants the NFL dominated by blacks.

Edited by: Deacon

Deacon

Guru
link

"Race still a factor?"

</span>"In my opinion, lack of black coaches is no coincidence"

"Why have African-American coaches fared so well? My theory is that
because so many were denied opportunities for so long, the talent pool
is artificially strong. Meanwhile, white assistants in similar jobs
keep getting snapped up by teams, and many ofthose teamsend up
disappointed. As I wrote soon after the Bills made a coaching hire two
years ago, it's a bunch of Mularkey."

White assistants suck ass and are inferior to the almighty black man says that jew.

Edited by: Deacon

Deacon

Guru
Deacon said:
Does anyone watch 1st and 10 on ESPN?

Anyway, Woody Paige was ranting last week about the
lack of new black head coaches as well. He's gotten some e-mails
regarding it saying "who the hell cares about minority coaches." (here
here) but he went on to say that it was about righting a wrong and who
cares if it creates an imbalance. Chalk up another dumb white guy who
wants the NFL dominated by blacks.
Oh yeah, Skip Bayless, the other commentator on that show, also
believes in the caste system. On one episode he seemed to be boasting
about the fact that he just got off the phone with the head of the
minority head coach's ass.. {or what ever you call it}, and the guy
seemed thrilled that six white coaches got fired, believing that at
least one empty vacancy would be filled with a deserving god's chosen
black man. Woody just nodded his head like it's all good! Here's a
black guy celebrating the fact that six white coaches got fired just to
promote people of his race and those two silly ass white guys just
loved it. Pathetic.

hedgehog

Mentor
Blacks are over represented as coaches as someone else said earlier. The biggest flaw with these people who say we need more black coaches-is the assumption all coaching candidates are former NFL players.I dont know the count, but I got to belive there are a number of coaches including assistants that didnt play in the NFL.Secondly, the idea that former players make the best coaches. While that maybe true in some cases, with that logic,you could make the same argument that former coachesmake the best players.Coaching and playing are two different things and require different talents.