Andrea Bargnani

referendum

Mentor
Bargnani is predicted to be a very high 1st round draft pick, the highest european actually. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about him and why he is supposed to be so special.

referendum

Mentor
Nice article. I notice that Embry is with the Raptors. I read his biography and must say that for a black Front office exec. he's relatively pro-white. When he was with Cleveland he drafted Price, Ehlo, Ilgauskas, traded for Ferry. So I don't think he'll put on a caste system bias against Bargnani. If Bargnani turns out to be a solid player it would be nice to see him in the Eastern Conference, as so many of the best European players are in the Western Conference.

KG2422

Mentor
Bargnani finally got to play more than ten minutes. In 27 minutes, he had 15 pts, 3 rebs, 2 blks and 1 stl. He was 4-7 shooting with a three pointer and 6-6 from the line. If the raptors start playing with smaller lineup, like they did tonight, he should continue to get decent playing time.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bargnani received some praise from Sports Illustrated this week, with Ian Thomsen writing that Bargnani "has justified the Raptors' decision to make him last June's top overall pick." Some additional excerpts:

"Silencing skeptics, the 7-foot Italian is proving that he was worthy of being a No. 1 overall pick. At week's end, Bargnani was averaging 10.1 points in only 23.1 minutes as a reserve -- but stats merely hint at his enormous upside. In every game Bargnani does something that shows off his immense talents, be it delivering a pass that reveals his nascent court vision, blocking a shot to remind everyone that he led the Italian league in rejections as a 20-year-old, or driving past defenders in a display of prodigious athleticism. 'He's got the makings of a star,' says Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo. 'But I'd like to think beyond that: How special can he be?'

"Barganani's play in his first three months suggests an answer: a next-generation Dirk Nowitzki, a gigantic three-point shooter with a pure stroke who is capable of exploiting mismatches all over the floor.. .Says Colangelo, '[A veteran NBA coach] told me, 'It took Dirk a good three years before he really believed that he belonged.' There's no self-doubt with Andrea at all. He feels he belongs [now].'

"While Bargnani has been serving mainly as a perimeter-based small forward, the organization sees him morphing into a center to complement 22-year-old All Star power forward Chris Bosh. If Bargnani can establish himself on the bloc, he'll have a chance to be even more versatile than Nowitzki, who only recently has grown comfortable playing with his back to the basket.. . "

sunshine

Mentor
Credit Ian Thomsen for not being afraid of throwing around "athletic" when describing Bargnani. A truly gifted athlete and rising player it is worth pointing out the article Don. What is doubly interesting is the chief longtime basketball writer Jack MacCallum(sic) has never in all these years of reading his work used the words athletic to describe a white player which is perhaps the most remarkable streak in the history of sports prejudice. He is one of the worst of all time. Super jerk.

j41181

Master
Breaking News! Jermaine O'Neal's tender knees and ankles are bothering him badly. Even if he has the heart of a lion, it won't help him not with the state of his health.

The situation opens the door for Andrea Bargnani. He has so far started 5 straight games, with back to back eruptions of 25 and 29 points. "Il Mago" so far is also making 1.6 blocks per game, grabbing 4.6 rebounds per game, and is shooting 95% from the stripe.

He has so far shown more willingness to bang down low, while maintaining his usual outside shooting touch.

Keep it up "Il Mago."

Bargnani is on FIRE </span>dudes!
smiley32.gif

10 straight double digit games.
7 of the 10 games with 20+ points.
31 points - a new career high.

All this with Jermain O'Neal out.

Had a sweet shot to sent game with Celtics into OT, at Boston, before Toronto folded.

Just saw this game rebroadcast on NBA TV. Roko Ukic was good off the bench with 16 points,

j41181

Master
Another superb game by Bargnani:

28 points
smiley32.gif

8-15 FG's
3-5 3pts.
9-12 FT's

10 rebounds
3 assists
1 steal
3 blocks

He led Toronto to a 111-100 win over New York.

Bargnani is enjoying a breakout season, thanks to the injury and eventual trading of Jermaine O'Neal, and now a playing-injured Chris Bosh. While Toronto itself is in danger of missing the playoffs, from an individual stand point, this is great and remarkable progress for Bragnani. Congrats on to him, he has finally fulfilling his potential, he will no doubt continue Nowitzki's revolutionary style of play. Dirk's legacy is secured.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
More of these white guys are breaking out either turning into solid contributors with upside (Belinelli, Fernandez, Ryan Anderson etc.), or GOOD starters with an all-round game (Marc Gasol, Lee, Love, Bargnani).

Few of them have become elite scorers though, in part due to the way the NBA is played and run. It's a black league first. And blacks are almost always fed the ball and encouraged to be the go-to guys, not the Euros. And the white Americans; we need a resurgence!

Even Redick isn't playing bad now although (yeah, it's as a 6th or 7th man). J.J's becoming at least a solid ROTATION player and he was BARLEY drafted lottery BTW.

So who do the Caste hounds have at this point to site as HUGE failures other than Adam Morrison (drafted very high at #3;), Tskitishvilli or Van Horn (Van Horn was a very high pick, he was only solid for a few seasons, but it was long ago already.)

I'm sure I'm missing a few. Luke Jackson? Who battled lots of back problems by the way.

But there are black busts too like Muhammad Sene or Tractor Traylor; the media is just obsessed with the white busts.

j41181

Master
Greg Oden has been so far a bust!
smiley36.gif

What annoys me is that no one seems to bother, they (drunk whites) still think he can become a force in the NBA.

Well, Andrea has all but shoved all the bust labels on him back at his critics throats!
smiley36.gif

While it's unlikely Bargnani will match Dirk's scoring prowess, and greatness, he at least managed to established himself as a solid 2nd or 3rd scoring option.
smiley32.gif

Given the greater proportion of black players, there are actually many times more black bust than white busts. The drunk fans just want to highlight the white busts much more, because of the Great White Hope sort of thing. That is absolute ludicrous!
smiley7.gif
Edited by: j41181

j41181

Master
Another great game for Bargnani:

28 points (10-20 FG's, 3-6 3pt's, 5-6 FT's)
6 rebounds
2 assists

He helped Toronto to an epic 134-129 victory over Chicago in OT. What he needs to do now is show he can get rebounds. His numbers this year remind me of Dirk in his 2nd NBA year. Bargnani is a strong candidate for Most Improved Player of the Year.
smiley32.gif

j41181

Master
Good game by Bargnani:

17 points (8-14 FG's, 1-3 3pt's)
2 rebounds
1 assist
1 steal
6 blocks (career high)
smiley32.gif

Raptors win 111-104 over the stinking 76ers. It's been a great watching Il Mago's progress this year, and he has a wonderful future ahead of him.
smiley2.gif

j41181

Master
Not much posting in this thread. Might as well post in it once in blue moon. Il Mago had his best game in almost a month, helping a gut it out win over the Black Bobcats, 107-103. With Yi Jianlian playing healthy and enjoying his new coach, All-Star chances does not look good for Bargnani in 2010-11.

28 points (11-20 FG's, 2-6 3pt's, 4-4 FT's)
4 rebounds
1 steal
1 block

j41181

Master
Very happy to see Bargnani play some of his best game against teams like Boston and Charlotte. This time the Raptors felt short, 103-96. Not after Il Mago had another stellar performance. It's first time he's had back-to-back 20-point games in over a month. I very glad to see Bargnani and Bogut, validating their No. 1 draft pick statuses. No way they are busts. I still find it odd how the Milicic debacle has caused many NBA teams to shy away from players like Bargnani and Bogut. I'm hoping Donatas Montiejunas proves his skeptics wrong. Then another Euro invasion can begin anew, to go with a white American resurgence.

21 points (8-15 FG's, 2-5 3pt's, 3-4 FT's)
4 rebounds
1 assist
1 block

j41181

Master
Nice game Bragnani, who held his own against "Black Superman" Dwight Howard. In a game that 5-on-6 (pro-Magic Refs). Raptors still won 108-103.

18 points (7-16 FG's, 2-5 3pt's, 2-2 FT's)
8 rebounds
2 assists
1 block

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very nice game for him. I like the fact that he pulled down 8 boards evevn better than the 18 points. He will only get better as his body continues to mature and he gets stronger over the next several years. What a fine young player he is turning out to be. The Italian Stallion.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I watched a few games with Bargnani this year. The only area where he needs to improve is rebounding at this point.

j41181

Master
whiteathlete33 said:
I watched a few games with Bargnani this year.  The only area where he needs to improve is rebounding at this point.
Bargnani had taken a huge stride this season in that area. He 17 rebounds a few games ago. If he finishes this season with an 18-7 or 18-8, he's finally arrived. The next step for him is the All-Star game, and if possible, "superstardom."

Dirk even claims he's more athletic than he ever was. Dirk's as usual being too modest. While it may be true, I think Bargnagi just needs to develop more skills and COORDINATION (like Dirk). There is a fine line between athleticism, skills, and coordination.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
j41181 said:
whiteathlete33 said:
I watched a few games with Bargnani this year. The only area where he needs to improve is rebounding at this point.

Bargnani had taken a huge stride this season in that area. He 17 rebounds a few games ago. If he finishes this season with an 18-7 or 18-8, he's finally arrived. The next step for him is the All-Star game, and if possible, "superstardom."

Dirk even claims he's more athletic than he ever was. Dirk's as usual being too modest. While it may be true, I think Bargnagi just needs to develop more skills and COORDINATION (like Dirk). There is a fine line between athleticism, skills, and coordination.

I doubt Bargnani will ever be as good as Dirk. Dirk's shooting ability and penetration skills for a guy his size are unmatched in the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
from rotoworld: Andrea Bargnani went off for a season-high 34 points vs. the Pacers on Tuesday, making 14-of-21 FGs, including 4-of-6 from downtown. To say Roy Hibbert struggled to defend the quicker Bargnani would be a massive understatement, though at 7'0" it's not easy to slow him down when his jumpshot is clicking. He was averaging just 9.5 points over the past two games but rewarded those who kept the faith

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
from rotoworld: Andrea Bargnani went off for a season-high 34 points vs. the Pacers on Tuesday, making 14-of-21 FGs, including 4-of-6 from downtown. To say Roy Hibbert struggled to defend the quicker Bargnani would be a massive understatement, though at 7'0" it's not easy to slow him down when his jumpshot is clicking. He was averaging just 9.5 points over the past two games but rewarded those who kept the faith

He is very good Don however our best guys at center are David Lee and Chris Kaman. I have watched a bunch of Clippers games this year and Kaman has incredible moves. Next year he is an All-Star!!