2024 NFL Draft

jphoss

Mentor
I'm the last person here that needs convincing of this, however, how is it that white TE's have been allowed to dominate black defenses for years now? From Gronkowski, Kelce, Kittle, Andrews to now LaPorta, Kincaid, Mayer, McBride, Kmet and the giant, 6'6 Luke Musgrave, and Bowers is on his way!
My hope is that because of this and the success of McCaffrey, some of the above names mentioned at RB will finally make it and become an every game starter in the NFL. Certainly, Steele, Schrader and Shipley have the talent to be starting NFL RB's.
I’m assuming it’s a combination of the te position being more of a racially acceptable position for whites to play plus the gap between white te and black ones is wider than arguably any other position group. And we can’t forget that with the black qb push they need a “security blanket” to make them look good!
Another 2024 draft question- are there any highly ranked white de’s? Considering 6 of the top 8-10 de’s in football are white, and there’s a total of what 8 white de’s in the nfl you’d think that would be a talent pool to tap into

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
WR Luke McCaffery gets a Senior Bowl invite along with his Shrine invite. Making 3 White WRs for the Senior Bowl, might be a record.

TwentyTwo

Master
WR Luke McCaffery gets a Senior Bowl invite along with his Shrine invite. Making 3 White WRs for the Senior Bowl, might be a record.
Yeah trying to dig into the memory bank when's the last time that happened!
Have seen Florida WR Ricky Pearsall as high as #75; but then not in the Top 200 in another. Almost comparable of old school Kieth Poole ..

Check this write up about New Hampshire RB Dylan Laube ....

NEW HAMPSHIRE RB DYLAN LAUBE

Height: 5-foot-10 (v)

Weight: 203 (v)

Arm: 29 1/4 inches

Hand: 9 1/8 inches

First off, let's get one thing straight: Dylan Laube isn’t Christian McCaffrey. We’ve seen some lazy white-running-back comparisons out there on the internet, and if we’re playing that game, the better comparison is former New England Patriots third-down back Danny Woodhead. Now that we’ve addressed the McCaffrey thing, because it’s unfair to pin that on Laube, let’s focus on his skill set.

He’s a good runner at the FCS level, but the thing that separates him from most backs in this draft class and what earned him a Senior Bowl invite is his versatility and his prowess in the passing game. We watched some tape on Laube over the summer, and what really caught our attention was his record-setting receiving day in a “play-up” game against FBS team Central Michigan where he caught 13 passes for 297 yards. Laube is the type of versatile sub-downs back that every NFL team is looking for because he catches the ball well out of the backfield and can legitimately run detached routes from the slot.

He is better at the top of the route than most college wideouts, and he tracks and catches the ball downfield far better than most running backs. Like most small-school players, the week in Mobile will be huge for Laube, who is the first UNH player in the Senior Bowl in 36 years. Heading into the pre-draft process, Laube is more of a late-round player for most teams, but if his play-making ability from FCS tape translates against the best of the best from around college football, he should get pushed into more early-Day-3 conversations.

jacque

Guru
Have seen Florida WR Ricky Pearsall as high as #75; but then not in the Top 200 in another. Almost comparable of old school Kieth Poole ..

First off, let's get one thing straight: Dylan Laube isn’t Christian McCaffrey. We’ve seen some lazy white-running-back comparisons out there on the internet, and if we’re playing that game, the better comparison is former New England Patriots third-down back Danny Woodhead. Now that we’ve addressed the McCaffrey thing, because it’s unfair to pin that on Laube, let’s focus on his skill set.

He’s a good runner at the FCS level, but the thing that separates him from most backs in this draft class and what earned him a Senior Bowl invite is his versatility and his prowess in the passing game. We watched some tape on Laube over the summer, and what really caught our attention was his record-setting receiving day in a “play-up” game against FBS team Central Michigan where he caught 13 passes for 297 yards. Laube is the type of versatile sub-downs back that every NFL team is looking for because he catches the ball well out of the backfield and can legitimately run detached routes from the slot.

He is better at the top of the route than most college wideouts, and he tracks and catches the ball downfield far better than most running backs. Like most small-school players, the week in Mobile will be huge for Laube, who is the first UNH player in the Senior Bowl in 36 years. Heading into the pre-draft process, Laube is more of a late-round player for most teams, but if his play-making ability from FCS tape translates against the best of the best from around college football, he should get pushed into more early-Day-3 conversations.
God 13 for 297 is unreal.

De’lone Laube would be a day 1 pick.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Ok, so over on the Will Shipley thread Rocky B posted a question, when was the last time 3-4 white running backs were drafted and after searching the memory bank, I went to 1977 NFL draft as I vaguely remember some pretty good white running backs of that era.
So, here are the ones I could find after remembering watching Rob Carpenter in the 70's-80's.
45. Rob Lytle Rd. 2
69. Rick Kane Rd. 3
76. Mike Voight Rd. 3
84. Rob Carpenter Rd 3
90. Scott Dierking Rd. 4
183. Jim Van Wagner Rd. 7
That's 6 through round 7, and there were probably a few others.

The other year that might have produce 3 or more would have been 1983 when Craig James was taken in the 7th round. California RB John Tuggle was also taken with the last pick, 335th and later died of Cancer at age 25. 83' would have possible been the last time multiple white RB's were drafted unless in the 90's when Vardell or Alstott were selected 92' and 96' respectively.
Stanford's Brad Muster was taken 23rd overall in the 88' draft as well.
Maybe someone can research to see.
Interestingly on Craig James' bio it stated the James was the last white RB to rush for 1,000+ yards, 1985 until Peyton Hillis did it in 2010. Now if the James and Hillis were black and the same stat applied, you better believe there would be change coming.
Maybe there is with this year's white running backs class?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Senior Bowl rosters have been finalized - only rumored addition to the initial invites is the exposed Washington quota. The numbers hover around what they usually are but we can certainly see a small dent being made into the caste system based on the players invited:

QUARTERBACK
Sam Hartman, Notre Dame
Bo Nix, Oregon
Michael Pratt, Tulane

RUNNING BACK
Dylan Laube, New Hampshire
Cody Schrader, Missouri

WIDE RECEIVER
Luke McCaffrey, Rice
Ladd McConkey, Georgia
Ricky Pearsall, Florida

TIGHT END
AJ Barner, Michigan
Ben Sinnott, Kansas State
Jared Wiley, TCU

OFFENSIVE TACKLE
Ethan Driskell, Marshall

INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE
Cooper Beebe, Kansas State
Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin
Zach Frazier, West Virginia
Trevor Keegan, Michigan
Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon*
Andrew Raym, Oklahoma

Defensive End
Braiden McGregor, Michigan

Defensive Tackle
Braden Fiske, Florida State

Linebacker
JD Bertrand, Notre Dame
Payton Wilson, N.C. State
Tommy Eichenberg Ohio State

Safey
Cole Bishop

jphoss

Mentor
I’m sure we read reports about Laube “opening eyes”. But the move to darken the tackle position is complete caste bs. At least we have joe alt to be a perennial pro bowl ot for the next 10-15 years

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Looks like the post season all star game of the draft circuit is tomorrow - The Hula Bowl. Must have missed that one. It does have some notable White players who will be playing in the game tomorrow.

I went through the roster and below is the list of White athletes participating in the game.

Quarterback
John Rhys Plumlee - reports are that he is also played some WR during the week.
Ben Bryant Northwestern
Carter Bradley, South Alabama
Jack Plummer, Louisville

Wide Receiver
Hayden Hatten, Idaho

Tight End
Cam Grandy Illinois St (FCS First Team All American)
Brendan Bates, Kentucky
Mason Pline, Furman
Isaac Rex, BYU

OT
Gunner Britton Auburn
Frank Crum Wyoming
Doug Nester WVU

Interior OL
Brady Latham Arkansas
Nouredin Nouili Nebraska
Michael Furtney, Wisconsin
Nick Gargiulo, South Carolina
Clark Barrington Baylor
Jacob Johanning, Furman
Jarrett Kingston, USC
Dalton Tucker, Marshall
Jack Freeman, Houston
Bryan Hudson, Louisville

Interior Defensive Line
Jack Daly, FIU
Casey Rogers, Oregon
Judge Culpepper, Toledo

Edge
John McCartan, Oregon State

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Rhys Plumlee has very little chance of sticking as a quarterback unless it's in a Taysom Hill Type of Role. I would love to see him
trying out at running back. He would be a great 2nd string back at the worst who has the speed to take it to the house at any time. If
he stays at qb, I fear his football career will be over. He needs to be a running back or outside receiver in my honest opinion!

Rocky B

Master
John Rhys Plumlee has very little chance of sticking as a quarterback unless it's in a Taysom Hill Type of Role. I would love to see him
trying out at running back. He would be a great 2nd string back at the worst who has the speed to take it to the house at any time. If
he stays at qb, I fear his football career will be over. He needs to be a running back or outside receiver in my honest opinion!
100% true....He’s just not as big as Taysom.
I’d have JRP put on ten pounds.
He’d still run like the wind, but be a bit more durable as a tailback..
If I were a gm, which would be awesome, I’d always have my third string qb be a slash guy. JRP could probably play anywhere.
I’d also have that guy rush the passer once in awhile. Confuse the offense.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Plumlee received an invite to the Shrine Bowl as well. He's certainly got many of the same talents/abilities as Taysom Hill. I don't think he is an all time QB but should be viewed at as an RB/WR. I'd love to see a team give him a shot at DB. Probably the best athlete in the 2024 draft.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good he’s making his All Star game rounds. Fingers crossed for a combine invite!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I’m sure we read reports about Laube “opening eyes”. But the move to darken the tackle position is complete caste bs. At least we have joe alt to be a perennial pro bowl ot for the next 10-15 years

Wyoming LT Frank Crum had a good Hula Bowl along with solid practices. Let's hope he is a riser.

WR Hayden Hatten had a TD reception in the game.

TE Isaac Rex had 2 TDs

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Senior Bowl got a few more Whiteys:

QB Carter Bradley
TE Tanner McLachlan
OT Roger Rosengarten

Warhawk_46

Master

And yet.. Borghi, with the same skill-set was white-balled from the NFL…

Snow Plow

Mentor
https://nfltraderumors.co/michigan-qb-j-j-mccarthy-declares-for-nfl-draft/

Not sure how I feel about this. He comes out next year he's easily in the conversation for #1 pick. This year at best he's probably viewed as the 4th best QB by the "experts". Michigan now becomes a quota led team I believe too.
I agree with every point. That said, I still think he goes top 15. He woukd benefit by going to a team like the Chargers or Vikings to sit in the bench for a year to grow and mature.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I agree with every point. That said, I still think he goes top 15. He woukd benefit by going to a team like the Chargers or Vikings to sit in the bench for a year to grow and mature.

Vikings make sense...Chargers not really unless their is a huge trade to mover Herbert a year after he signed his contract.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I meant Rams. I had Chargers in my mind since Harbaugh is interviewing there.

Makes sense. I wouldn't mind seeing McCarthy sit for a year or two behind Stafford. If he gets thrown in early I feel it will end up like Zach Wilson with the Jets. McCarthy must have received a favorable draft grade to come out this year. It would also make sense if Harbaugh is leaving as well. Stinks that Michigan blackened up the QB depth chart behind him though.

I think McCarthy would have been in the mix with Ewers and Carson Beck to be the top QB in 2025.

Snow Plow

Mentor
Makes sense. I wouldn't mind seeing McCarthy sit for a year or two behind Stafford. If he gets thrown in early I feel it will end up like Zach Wilson with the Jets. McCarthy must have received a favorable draft grade to come out this year. It would also make sense if Harbaugh is leaving as well. Stinks that Michigan blackened up the QB depth chart behind him though.

I think McCarthy would have been in the mix with Ewers and Carson Beck to be the top QB in 2025.
We’ll see about Michigan. They somehow lost former coach, Lloyd Carr’s son, to Notre Dame. I am hoping there is still someone in the transfer portal.

Phall

Master
We’ll see about Michigan. They somehow lost former coach, Lloyd Carr’s son, to Notre Dame. I am hoping there is still someone in the transfer portal.
Lloyd Carr’s grandson QB was recruited commensurately by Michigan and passed on the chance to be the heir apparent. I believe that Lloyd pushed him away from Ann Arbor in some capacity because he will forever be bitter that he was not allowed to name his own successor on his way out the door.

Michigan has two quotas on scholarship (Orji and Denegal) who were 3-star “projects” as prospects - they were recruited by former QB coach and negrophile Matt Weiss, who was fired in December ‘22 for some sort of impropriety. Ironically, it was McCarthy’s roster presence that kept the Wolverines from landing better quarterbacks in the past two classes. Next year, all the eggs are in the basket of quota Jadyn (sp) Davis, who was a can’t-miss quota as a high school sophomore but has fallen into “mere” 4-star territory. I would be surprised and disappointed if he gets meaningful snaps anytime soon, especially as a true freshman.

Last year’s backup QB was walk-on Davis Warren, a 3-star recruit himself who seemed to have a path toward eventually starting. He lost some a lot of shine this year, at least in the minds of DWF fans, because he was “passed” by grad transfer Jack Tuttle, who was first off the bench in blowouts but never had to play a meaningful snap. Tuttle is applying for a waiver to return and could also be a plausible option.

Michigan could also lose its coach, replace its OC, and bring in a transfer in the spring (or next week), so I’m not bothering to worry about it.

As for McCarthy, I can’t really complain. Michigan would not repeat next year even if he returned. The NFL seems so arbitrary at best, phony at worst, that it’s a total crapshoot whether or not he’ll eventually play and succeed. If there is room for him (a white QB with mobility) in the narrative when he gets his window, he’ll be allowed to get the star treatment whether he’s the 1st or 5th QB off the board.