2023 World Outdoor Season

white is right

Hall of Famer
Ingebrigtsen ran a tactical race that he normally does not run and he made a huge mistake in doing so....Kerr full value for first as was the 3rd place kid from Norway....3 whites...1/2/3 Blacks must be going about bat shyte crazy about now Add that to the fact The Viking won going away.... Now I truly hope Hodgkinson puts away thething mo....
Championship racing doesn't have rabbits in them so the fastest time trial racer doesn't always win a tactical race. I have seen time and time again where a favorite like Morceli in 92' be too conservative with his pace and an off the pace guy destroys the favorite. Twice Jakob has been burned by off the pace guys because his pace setting was too slow to kill the kick of the better kickers.

I noticed with better Kenyan doping controls the Kenyan dominance is nearly gone now in the middle distance events. I feel sorry for all of the Western runners who lost out on prize money, endorsements and medals to EPO drug cheats.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I want to highlight some rising stars from Euro U20 Championships that we need to keep an eye on in the future:

18 yr old Niels Laros of the Netherlands won both the 1500m and 5000m. He is a prodigy who had previously bettered Jakob Ingebrigsten's European U18 records in 1500m and 3000m. Definitely a star in the making.

Another distance prodigy is Agate Caune of Latvia. She won both the women's 3000m and 5000m in dominating fashion. Her margins of victory were incredible - 30 seconds in the 3000m and 47 seconds in the 5000m. Again, definitely another star in the making.
18 year old Niels Laros made the WC finals of the 1500m, and performed incredibly well.
He was right in the mix (3rd/4th place) into the last turn, and then faded down the final stretch.
Still, he set a National Record for the Netherlands.

Meanwhile, 19 yr old Agate Caune of Latvia, ran an incredible race in the heats of the 5000m.
She broke away from the pack to run the entire race solo, leading by 120 meters during much of the race.
A super brave and gutsy performance. The announcers were shocked at her courage, and she had everyone rooting for her.
It's worth a watch.
The final is on Saturday.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good to see Shubenkov is recovering slowly from a major injury. Maybe next year he can get back to form but sadly it won't matter if
Russia isn't allowed to compete. Hope the war ends as every side loses in a war. Especially innocent people have nothing to do with it.
I didn't know Shubenkov is married to Makarenko the sprinter. They could make some very fast kids someday!

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Italy were the fastest qualifiers in the 4x100m at the World Championships.
They ran a World Leading time of 37.65.
Their team was Roberto Rigali, Lamont Jacobs, Lorenzo Patta, and Filippo Tortu.
I don't know if they will bring in Ceccarelli for the finals. But either way, they are running a team that is 7/8 white.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't know if they will bring in Ceccarelli for the finals. But either way, they are running a team that is 7/8 white.

Thanks for posting this brother. I was gonna do it later but now I don't have too! One thing that really baffles my
mind. Tortu ran a scorching relay leg. He always runs incredibly fast in the 4 x 100 Relay. Why then can he not
translate that into the individual races? Very strange. Filippo Tortu seems to run only 1 fast race a year in the
200 meters. Last year he ran 20.10 wind legal and this year he ran 20.14 wind legal. Then the rest of his races
are crap. I think he has bulked up too much and taking away the 100 meters individual races has hurt his
overall sprinting! For some odd reason though he is FIRE in the RELAYS. I want to see him do that over 100 & 200
like he used to. The talent is there but the coaching and his desire is not. Hope they change things up next year!

sprintstar

Mentor
Yah it makes me wonder as well, He held off Simbine to the wire....his final leg is on fire....literally jets in his shoes yet he can't run an open sub 10 100m anymore.....Politics maybe?

Jackson of Yamaica is definitely juicing.....as is SC Richardson....

German girls ran very poorly in the 4x100m but glad Poland made it to the finals.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Very interesting Men's 4x400m relay heats.
The USA had Trevor Bassitt and Matthew Boling run legs #1 and #2.
Bassitt's opening leg was 45.29 and Boling split 44.39.
Charlie Dobson of Great Britain ran their 2nd leg (against Boling), and ran 44.44.

The USA won their heat, but very, very surprisingly, India! finished a very close 2nd. They looked very good, and broke 3 minutes.
In fact they were the 2nd fastest qualifiers of all the teams, with the USA being #1.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Italy uses the same line-up in the final and takes 2nd behind the USA, and ahead of Jamaica.
Pretty impressive!

-Update: Just saw the race online. Tortu with a fantastic final leg to secure the silver. Wow! Why can't he run like this in individual races?! Perhaps his relay performances here, will inspire him, and give him confidence going forward next season. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Italy uses the same line-up in the final and takes 2nd behind the USA, and ahead of Jamaica.
Pretty impressive!

Filippo Tortu is lightning fast still but only in the relays. Strangest thing I've ever seen! Congrats to Italy for the silver. Almost had
another gold like the last major championship.

freedom1

Mentor
Saw this on Yahoo Sports. I wonder if he will participate in any of this year's remaining Diamond League events.

Rohan Browning has expressed his disappointment after failing to advance to the 100m final at the athletics world championships. The sprinter was on a high on Saturday after becoming the first Australian man in 28 years to reach the 100m semi-finals at a world championships.

However he came crashing back to earth on Sunday when he failed to progress to the final. The best season of the 25-year-old's career ended on a flat note in Budapest as he finished fourth in his semi with a time of 10.11 seconds - the same time he ran in the opening round the previous day.

As it turned out, Browning would have needed to equal his PB of 10.01 to have booked a spot in the final - a task he felt was well within his grasp. The 25-year-old had talked up the possibility of going under 10 seconds in Budapest.

"I am just really disappointed," he said after the semi-final. "I definitely felt like I was in shape to run a lot better. I felt like I had 60 metres of a really good race and the rest was really the reverse of yesterday. There are things to work on for the Olympics."

Rohan Browning in the 100m semi-finals at the athletics world championships.

Rohan Browning (R) alongside Raphael Bouju (L) and Fred Kerley in the 100m semi-finals at the athletics world championships. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
Browning and coach Andrew Murphy felt it was an advantage to be drawn in the adjacent lane to defending world champion Fred Kerley, thinking it could have helped drag the Australian under 10 seconds for the first time. But Kerley also bombed out after his time of 10.02 proved not good enough to advance.

Browning, who burst onto the international stage at the 2021 Olympics, has managed to get his average 100m time down to its best-ever level in 2023 . However he conceded that average of 10.11 wasn't quite good enough.

"It felt quicker," said Browning. "I knew sub-10 would be the benchmark to progress and that is where it ended up being more or less."

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Regarding Rohan Browning I would be shocked if we don't see him run one last time before the season ends. He said he was in
sub 10 form. So go out there and get that elusive sub 10 to take the pressure off. It's a mental & emotional barrier for many sprinters!

https://www.watchathletics.com/arti...s-championships-narrowly-misses- world-record

Duplantis Dominates at World Athletics Championships, Narrowly Misses World Record​

white is right

Hall of Famer
Filippo Tortu is lightning fast still but only in the relays. Strangest thing I've ever seen! Congrats to Italy for the silver. Almost had
another gold like the last major championship.
He gained ground the Yam and British sprinters. As you stated on form he should have lost ground to those two but he obviously races better on the relay team. It could be a competitive burst of energy or a technical issue with his start out of the blocks.

sprintstar

Mentor
Tortu's leg was excellent slowly pulling away from the sub 9.9 GB runner and the 9.90 Jamaican....Lyles(ped) went by him quite easily though....
I believe it is a wee bit of politics from Italian ports Fed with Tortu maybe.
If they had put in Cessirelli they would have not made 2nd

Klaver should have run in the 4x400m not the 4x100m relay, if she had run in the 4by they would have medal'd

sprintstar

Mentor
how is it the female Chinese jav, hammer, discus look like men? The winner of the womens shot put Ealy? is one of those tatted freaks, god she needs to lose those shorts she was wearing, looked like huge granny panties(good putter though) Mitton from Canada at least is sans tattoos...

SneakyQuick

Mentor
how is it the female Chinese jav, hammer, discus look like men? The winner of the womens shot put Ealy? is one of those tatted freaks, god she needs to lose those shorts she was wearing, looked like huge granny panties(good putter though) Mitton from Canada at least is sans tattoos...
Women in throwing events in general are gonna be pretty nasty. Pole vault and jumps on the other hand….

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Jakob Ingebrigtsen wins the 5000m.
He is now a 2-time WC gold medalist in this event.

Keely Hodgkinson of Britain beat Athing Mu, but still came in 2nd to a Kenyan.
Still, a great showing, as usual, for Keely.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Femke Bol, Leike Klaver, Eveline Saalberg, and Cathlejin Peeters win the women's 4x400 relay in dramatic fashion.
Bol came from behind to pass Great Britain and then Jamaica (at the line) to take the Gold!!
And a World Leading time as well!
Congratulations to these Dutch girls!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
USA won the men's 4x400 relay. Boling will get another gold medal as he ran in the heats.
Great Britain took 3rd, running Lewis Davey and Charlie Dobson. Good job by them.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Femke Bol, Leike Klaver, Eveline Saalberg, and Cathlejin Peeters win the women's 4x400 relay in dramatic fashion.
Bol came from behind to pass Great Britain and then Jamaica (at the line) to take the Gold!!
And a World Leading time as well!
Congratulations to these Dutch girls!

Yet we have been told this isn't possible. Yet it happens more and more. I remember when South Africa had the mens 4 x 100 Relay
Team win a medal with an all white team. Italy had 3 of 4 whites on this years 4 x 100 Relay Team. So to the lurkers on this board,
yes whites can be fast and they can win medals. It's not only black sprinters that can run. Even the asian sprinters prove this as well.

freedom1

Mentor
Regarding Rohan Browning I would be shocked if we don't see him run one last time before the season ends. He said he was in
sub 10 form. So go out there and get that elusive sub 10 to take the pressure off. It's a mental & emotional barrier for many sprinters!

https://www.watchathletics.com/arti...s-championships-narrowly-misses- world-record

Duplantis Dominates at World Athletics Championships, Narrowly Misses World Record​

Browning is talking like he has all the time in the world (Paris Olympics??). When the body changes, it changes. Obviously, this varies from person to person, but the typical non drug sprinting career is like the 100 meters race, i.e., it's over with relatively quickly. If he is in competition shape, he should run now!! First things first. Shirvo never broke 10.00 and everyone thought he was a sure thing.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Best Pole Vault Competion ever at the 2023 World Championships. Well it's very fitting that it was won by the World Record Holder and
he has more gold than Fort Knox. The Greatest Pole Vaulter and one of the best all around athletes I've ever seen in my life! Congrats Mondo!