2023 NFL Week One

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Chiefs just activated TE Matt Bushman from the practice squad, which adds to the likelihood that Ironman Travis Kelce will miss tonight's game because of a hyperextended knee suffered the other day. But you never know with Kelce.

Tonight's KC-Lions game features, by NFL standards, a plethora of White defensive players to root for -- DE George Karlaftis and LBs Drue Tranquill and Leo Chenal for KC, and DEs Aiden Hutchinson and John Cominsky and LBs Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell and Malcolm Rodriguez for Detroit.

Despite the current depth chart, I expect Tranquill to displace Willie Gay during the season as a starter as he's easily the more talented player, one of the best linebackers in the league last year who was royally screwed in free agency.

Similarly, Jack Campbell is currently listed behind Derrick Barnes but that shouldn't last long if at all as far as usage.

WR Justin Watson may see an increase in looks if Kelce is out. He played a majority of the offensive snaps the second half of last season but unfortunately Mahomes used him mostly as a decoy/blocker despite Watson averaging a phenomenal 21 yards per reception (15/315/2). The Chiefs easily have the most unknown group of receivers of any team as far as how they'll eventually be used this season. Watson is as talented as any of them and I have a sneaking suspicion that if he's ever "allowed" to have a nice season, it'll be this year.

The Lions have exciting rookie TE Sam LaPorta making his debut tonight. Jared Goff was mostly terrific last season. All in all, a very good game from a CF perspective to open the new season.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Chiefs just activated TE Matt Bushman from the practice squad, which adds to the likelihood that Ironman Travis Kelce will miss tonight's game because of a hyperextended knee suffered the other day. But you never know with Kelce.

Tonight's KC-Lions game features, by NFL standards, a plethora of White defensive players to root for -- DE George Karlaftis and LBs Drue Tranquill and Leo Chenal for KC, and DEs Aiden Hutchinson and John Cominsky and LBs Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell and Malcolm Rodriguez for Detroit.

Despite the current depth chart, I expect Tranquill to displace Willie Gay during the season as a starter as he's easily the more talented player, one of the best linebackers in the league last year who was royally screwed in free agency.

Similarly, Jack Campbell is currently listed behind Derrick Barnes but that shouldn't last long if at all as far as usage.

WR Justin Watson may see an increase in looks if Kelce is out. He played a majority of the offensive snaps the second half of last season but unfortunately Mahomes used him mostly as a decoy/blocker despite Watson averaging a phenomenal 21 yards per reception (15/315/2). The Chiefs easily have the most unknown group of receivers of any team as far as they'll eventually be used this season. Watson is as talented as any of them and I have a sneaking suspicion that if he's ever "allowed" to have a nice season, it'll be this year.

The Lions have exciting rookie TE Sam LaPorta making his debut tonight. Jared Goff was mostly terrific last season. All in all, a very good game from a CF perspective to open the new season.

I excited to see this NFL Season get kicked off tonight. You have to give alot of credit to the Chiefs. Since the Patriots demise when Tom Brady and others left the Chiefs have been the best team in the league. Hard to argue that. Give Mahomes credit. The coaching and
players buying into the team first similar to New England is a recipe for success. Hope Kelce plays tonight but if not let's see some other
guys step it up like Watson. For Detroit it's a big year for Goff. Let's see what the Lions can do. A week 1 upset would be a great launching
pad for the rest of the season. When you beat the best teams it brings confidence which leads to winning alot of games.

Warhawk_46

Master
Looking forward to catching some
Of this game. Big fan of Goff and the white defensive players featured. I also do not mind Mahomes at all. He seems squared away well and I credit his stellar play to his strong white genes.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Travis Kelce will not play. It's been confirmed. Hope his knee isn't that bad for next week.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
LaPorta with his first of what's hopefully many hundreds of NFL receptions to come

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tranquill hardly seeing the field so far after being a superstar last season for the Chargers

Warhawk_46

Master
Tranquill hardly seeing the field so far after being a superstar last season for the Chargers
One of the more egregious displays of the caste system this season.

I can’t imagine a black superstar linebacker suddenly not having playing time.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I also saw Jack Campbell playing the role of WSTD.

Hopefully Detroit gets on solid drive in before the half with no mistakes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Why didn't the Lions decline the offensive holding call? It would have been fourth down. Instead Mahomes completes two long passes in a row on third and long (one to Watson) and then they score on the next play.

jphoss

Mentor
Why didn't the Lions decline the offensive holding call? It would have been fourth down. Instead Mahomes completes two long passes in a row on third and long (one to Watson) and then they score on the next play.
Maybe they assumed their oily hipped db’s are too quick twitch to give up a 34 yard pass on 3 and 17

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Watson with 2 receptions for 45 yards so far! Great start for him to the season. Hopefully alot more action coming his way as the game
goes on.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
So far Justin Watson has picked up right where he left off. 22.5 yards per catch. The other impressive Chief has been Karlaftis. He's been all over the field so far with 5 combined tackles already.

For the Lions, they need to get some pressure on Mahomes. LaPorta already with 3 catches so hopefully he dispels the conventual wisdom that rookie TEs struggle.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I think Cominsky applying pressure up the middle would be a wise decision. Hutchinson is getting pressure but Mahomes has escaped up the middle a few times.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Cominsky has been all over the field so far, great to see. Also nice to see Watson involved, and shocked to hear Collinsworth acknowledge him as Mahomes "favorite deep threat".

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Cominsky has been all over the field so far, great to see. Also nice to see Watson involved, and shocked to hear Collinsworth acknowledge him as Mahomes "favorite deep threat".
Aunt Crissie surprisingly has been pretty good so far.

Mahomes is talented but have you noticed just how many QBs have put up great numbers in Reid's system? Off the top of my head, Donovan McNabb, Jeff Garcia, Michael Vick, Alex Smith, Chad Henne, and possibly more all looked great in that system at one point despite being wildly different players.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
LaPorta with 5 catches already. Only for 27 yards but still it's nice to see him thrown into the mix from the get-go of his rookie season.