2023 NFL Preseason

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
@Don Wassall - Rams are getting blown out. Have you seen Jonah Williams, Hummel, Hoecht or Rozeboom on the field? Or is it all upside out there on the defense?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He's certainly worthy of a roster spot, especially with the league's new 3rd QB rule. He's out in Dallas after the game tonight.
Even the announcers have raved about the talent of Will Grier. Yet he will be cut. The question is will any team reach out to him?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
@Don Wassall - Rams are getting blown out. Have you seen Jonah Williams, Hummel, Hoecht or Rozeboom on the field? Or is it all upside out there on the defense?
I've been multi-tasking (sounds impressive haha) and when watching have been paying more attention to the Denver offense and then Sanders on defense. I did see VanValkenburg (currently listed as fourth string at LB) really hit Stidham hard in the rib area and it looked bad initially but it ended up (hopefully) with Stidham just having the wind knocked out of him and he only missed one play. I know Stafford and Kupp didn't play, didn't see Skowronek or Higbee either so it looks like most or all starters are sitting out.

Denver's looked really good on both sides of the ball, but as with the Steelers great preseason play, we'll have to see what happens once the season starts. But I do like seeing Denver's noticeable increase in White starters on offense and defense and will root for them this season. Hopefully Wilson is finished rather than making a comeback and Stidham replaces him at some point in the season.

Warhawk_46

Master
He's certainly worthy of a roster spot, especially with the league's new 3rd QB rule. He's out in Dallas after the game tonight.
Crazy to think as he had a good college career and is a great leader from all accounts. In a way, he reminds me of Colt McCoy. I think he could have that sort of long term primary backup career.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Crazy to think as he had a good college career and is a great leader from all accounts. In a way, he reminds me of Colt McCoy. I think he could have that sort of long term primary backup career.

I disagree. I see him being a potential starter based on his overall talent. He is better than many of the hyped up Any Given Sunday QB's.
Not all but alot of them are just subpar. I know he will never be a starter but that is not because of his talent. It's a unfair contest.

Warhawk_46

Master
I disagree. I see him being a potential starter based on his overall talent. He is better than many of the hyped up Any Given Sunday QB's.
Not all but alot of them are just subpar. I know he will never be a starter but that is not because of his talent. It's an unfair contest.
Oh I also think he has the skill to start. I think him actually getting that opportunity will be few and far between similar to Colt McCoy.

It's a shame Grier won't make the team but it's probably for the best as Mike McCarthy is out of his element calling plays and Jerry Jones is one of the worst owners in professional sports. Hopefully he goes to a well-run organization. The Cowboys, despite their image, are not. Only five playoff wins since 1996 with all that talent year in and year out? It starts from the top.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
2nd preseason game ended early because of an injury. DWFs should demand refunds. I would. Lackluster product and they can’t even finish the job.

NikoDuke

Mentor
And so your response is to demonize all Black players, especially quarterbacks. Every single one of them are "quotas," every single one of them sucks, none of them have any talent at all.

I had thought we reached an understanding on how to approach this last season, but apparently that's all out the window again now.

Some posters on this site have always had a strange relationship when it comes to quarterbacks. We had a small but persistent group that "called out" some White quarterbacks for not publicly denouncing the Caste System, personal consequences to them if they did be damned. It didn't matter what the personal beliefs of the White QBs were or if they even were aware of the Caste System or opposed to it, they were supposed to lead the way.

Other posters at one time or another have called every outstanding White QB a "wigger," an even more ridiculous stance.

And now once again the Black QB demonization is back in full force. Caste Football has always been at its best when we draw comparisons between White and Black players, using direct and indirect evidence to make a strong case again and again when it comes to recruitment and opportunity. But all that goes out the window for some reason when it comes to Black QBs. They all suck, they have no talent and apparently no redeeming qualities at all, case closed.

That approach is exactly what opponents of CF like to see. Anyone who comes here with an open mind when it comes to quarterback quickly comes to believe that this site is no different than the many Black sites where posters are incapable of saying a single positive thing about White people. It should be patently obvious that this "mirror image" approach is counterproductive, but for whatever reasons certain posters here believe it's effective when it's not.

I've been writing about QBs and Black QBs since before anyone else was even on this site, so I don't need to be informed about what's going on. My belief is that this is indeed very important, but it should be approached the same way we approach every other position in football and every other sport -- with facts and direct and indirect evidence, not name calling and demonization. Mindless black-bashing is just that, mindless. Someone who can't even bring himself to describe a black football player as anything other than a "quota" or "afflete" is not going to be taken seriously by people who come here to see if they agree with us or not.

At any rate, just a reminder that the college and NFL threads are primarily about cheering for White athletes. I'm not interested in coming here and seeing every Black mistake lauded and every Black QB demonized over and over again. It's counterproductive, period, and I've yet to see an explanation for it that makes sense or that shows how it's converting a single person. Keeping things in perspective and making points intelligently and logically through stats, comparisons, pointing out media stereotyping and omissions, etc., is how we've always done it and it's not going to be discarded when it comes to the quarterback position.
This is a very interesting discussion. Brought up some worthwhile considerations.
It is not productive or even accurate to attest that all Black NFLers are beneficiaries of the Caste system. They're clearly not. And many of them seem to be good teammates and individuals of the field.
But, some, actually many clearly are. That's why the black quarterback term resonates so much. Frankly it is one of the things that stood out to me when I first started visiting this site.
More so than perhaps any other position, QB position is loaded with Black players who are inferior to their White counterparts and are only starting due to affirmative action.
This is what makes CasteFootball worthwhile; the ability have nuanced conversations about such a non politically correct topic. And to root for White athletes when almost everywhere else, that is verboten..

woody39

Mentor
Seem to of been some good performances from a number of our guys over the course of the three weeks but does seem that it doesn't seem to matter a great deal in decision making for roster places, let's hope I'm wrong.

woody39

Mentor
Perfect example is Cowboy quarterback Will Grier first in passing yards and third in qb rating but definitely being cut after a pointless trade for trey lance . Preseason production and good tape seemingly worthless for him.

Last edited:

woody39

Mentor
Ben VanSumeren top tackler with 26 through three games across the 32 teams due to be cut according to roster projections for the Eagles by beat writers with no mention in the article of his tackling production.

Sure we can find more just seems absurd, what more can you do than produce and still not get a shot.

jphoss

Mentor
He must have a fast 10 yard split look at that burst! Also looked up his very impressive 3 cone time especially for his size- 7.03. By comparison overhyped tcu wr Quinton Johnson ran a 7.3 3 cone drill. But at least he had the guts to do it. Anyone else here notice the vast majority of black skill players opting out of doing the 3 cone drill? Also not many do the shuttle anymore either.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Make it two TDs for Erickson! I'd put his chances of making the team at about 25%. Erickson and Sills are two of the many capable White WRs seemingly destined to never get an opportunity, though Erickson did play some for the Bengals a few years ago.
I was thinking his chances would be a lot higher, almost a lock based on how he was used all preseason, performance and experience. However, upon reading various (((media))) projections, it seems like most see him getting cut so your 25% call is fair. Apparently there are a few upsiders, I’ve literally never heard of, who would be better suited for the 5th and 6th spots.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Will Grier should have been the Panthers' starting QB. His performance last night hopefully will get him a shot with another team.

Grier had the type of game last night that Lance could only dream of. Nearly perfect passing and totaled 4 touchdowns with good rushing added in. Yet he’s given the pink slip to make room for the black. This is what we mean when we call these players “black quarterbacks”. Lance is being given preferential treatment, likely via subconscious bias at this point, and filling a quota of affirmative action at the same time. Replacing a superiorly talented White man.

Rocky B

Master
Grier had the type of game last night that Lance could only dream of. Nearly perfect passing and totaled 4 touchdowns with good rushing added in. Yet he’s given the pink slip to make room for the black. This is what we mean when we call these players “black quarterbacks”. Lance is being given preferential treatment, likely via subconscious bias at this point, and filling a quota of affirmative action at the same time. Replacing a superiorly talented White man.
Grier had great college stats, Lance barley played...
It truly is pathetic lurkers....Pay more attention!

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Grier had great college stats, Lance barley played...
It truly is pathetic lurkers....Pay more attention!
Compare Grier and Sean Clifford’s stats to Jordan Love another 1st rd quota… It’s clear then direction they want to go.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Packers could use Greer. I mean they really feel confident with Love and a rookie in Clifford?