2017 NFL Draft

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Weird. Only one offensive lineman drafted.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Wow, Steelers take Watt. Maybe another blow against the caste system.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After the tribute to Dan Rooney Rule I was expecting the Steelers to take a black player for sure. What a pleasant surprise! And Watt is too good to not give every opportunity to succeed at a position of need for them. In fact the Steelers take linebackers and cornerbacks early every year and yet every year it's a position of weakness. Hopefully T. J. will bring back memories of Jack Lambert to Steelers DWF Nation. (Lambert btw didn't attend Rooney's funeral even though he only lives about 50 miles north of Pittsburgh.)

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Saints take go OL and take Ramcyzk!

Heretic

Master
I don't see Cleveland improving at all with their picks...Garrett, Peppers, and Njoku. Did they already give up on their "MoneyBall" approach? Looks like it.

As rough as that round was, rounds 2 and 3 may be worse.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Saints make a good pick and take the tackle Ramczyk.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Ramczyk! First round finishes on a high note.
This is the guy that the Giants should have picked but instead Reese makes a foolish Caste selection that reeks of a bust. The Giants' GM was relatively fair for his first few drafts, but now is just as bad as Dougtavious and McKenzie. I wouldn't be shocked if both NY clubs go coal black with their picks this year.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I don't see Cleveland improving at all with their picks...Garrett, Peppers, and Njoku. Did they already give up on their "MoneyBall" approach? Looks like it.

They may not have given it up, they're just not good at it. What can you expect when the AA hire running the team has little football experience

Upside

Mentor
Ramczyk heads to New Orleans.

A few other notes:
I may be in the minority, but I hate the Trubisky pick. It was nice to see him go in the top 3, but I didn't want to see him have to compete with Glennon. Was hoping to see him go to the Jets 49ers or the Cards.

Eagles taking Barnett basically means Chris Long will once again play limited snaps.

Mahomes had no business being drafted at 10.

Not sure why the Bucs drafted Howard. Cameron Brate was outstanding last season.

That Takkarist guy probably sends Brooks Reed to the bench.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Ramczyk heads to New Orleans.

A few other notes:
I may be in the minority, but I hate the Trubisky pick. It was nice to see him go in the top 3, but I didn't want to see him have to compete with Glennon. Was hoping to see him go to the Jets 49ers or the Cards.

Eagles taking Barnett basically means Chris Long will once again play limited snaps.

Mahomes had no business being drafted at 10.

Not sure why the Bucs drafted Howard. Cameron Brate was outstanding last season.

That Takkarist guy probably sends Brooks Reed to the bench.

I am a little torn on the Trubisky pick as well. I was hoping the 49ers were going to draft him as Hoyer is the definition of a journeyman stop gap QB whereas Glennon is an unknown - if he turns out to play really well what happens?

Can't believe Lamp did not go in the first round. Hopefully the Packers or Dolphins get him in the 2nd.

The main thing is going to be where the remaining QBs end up. I am hoping one or two of the black quarterbacks slide to the late rounds - I can see that happening with Dobbs and Kaaya. Will the Crawfords, Cardinals, Chargers, Jags, Bills, Browns decide on Webb, Peterman or a black quarterback (if a QB at all).

Bill O'Brien has never coached a black QB to my recollection and now gets a black quarterback. The Texans of 5-6 years ago were as white friendly as you can get and now look at them. Porky Pig got an overrated half-breed system QB.

The Browns have had a comical draft and it's nice to see the NFL award accused rapists and idiots too dumb to submit a clean sample of piss at their job interview as first rounders.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
A couple other notes - I apologize if I am rambling:

McCaffery to the Panthers absolutely blows. I hate the pick so much.

The black Florida LB goes in the first round - Anzalone the white LB from Florida was better than than the black LB - granted Anzalone had medical issues but that does not stop a team from taking a pick on a black player.

Also I felt Ryan Glasgow was a better defensive lineman than Charlton.

I'd also take Trey Hendrickson over Takk McKinley.

It's also evident to me just by looking at the idiotic fan bases that the caste system is going nowhere. These brainless DWF morons are totally clueless.

northwinds

Mentor
Absolutely amazing that CM went #8 and Dalvin Cook wasn't even picked in round one. Could have gotten great odds on that in Vegas even a few days ago. McCaffrey is carrying a heavy burden........probably the biggest potential caste breaker in over a generation.......if successful he will dwarf even Wes Welker's contribution to our cause. Just curious.....what was the fan reaction when the Panthers picked him? I missed the pick on TV

Wow, ESPN actually allowed a gun ad to air. Booby Costas would wet himself.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Wow!! I can't believe TJ Watt actually was picked by the Steelers. They needed a pass rusher and they got one. When old man James Harrison is the team's best pass rusher, it's definitely a position of need. Looking forward to watching him. Like Don said, hopefully he'll be able to rekindle memories of my username ;).

Even WalterFootball liked the pick, and said Watt had "great athleticism."

This is a solid pick by the Steelers, acquiring a player some believed wouldn't be available. I've had Watt slotted either to the Lions (No. 21) or Cowboys (No. 28), so this is solid value. Watt fills a huge need for Pittsburgh as an eventual replacement for James Harrison. He also has the great athleticism the Steelers look for in their prospects, so this seems like a very good fit.

white is right

Hall of Famer

As rough as that round was, rounds 2 and 3 may be worse.
Pete Prisco who is generally pretty orthodox in his views said that he had no position to play and the team was drafting an athlete. He alluded that Peppers could have fallen to a later round and had been drafted as an athlete. I think Garrett has perennial pro bowl potential.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Pete Prisco who is generally pretty orthodox in his views said that he had no position to play and the team was drafting an athlete. He alluded that Peppers could have fallen to a later round and had been drafted as an athlete. I think Garrett has perennial pro bowl potential.

Not to nitpick because Garrett checks all the boxes athletically and with production and he actually seems to have a brain between his ears. But I'm weary of any player that takes plays off and "paces" themselves throughout the game. Warren Sapp(98 career sacks and HOF) is right, that's a HUGE concern! Garrett reminds me of a sure fire, can't miss prospect from a few year's ago= Vernon Gholston.

** I've already stated my beef with Peppers! He's no Charles Woodson like the media leads you to believe. Njoku is the definition of an upside reach. No reason Brown's needed to trade back into the 1st rd for a upside TE that can't block, with 1 productive year in college. On positive note I guess Hue Jackson believes in Kessler enough to wait until day 2 for a signal caller.

icsept

Master
I'm actually ok with McCaffrey to the Panthers. Cam is already a made man in the NFL, so he's not going to get any extra credit if McCaffrey succeeds. The Panthers now have Kuechly, Olsen and McCaffrey, who are three absolute studs, and several other Whites contributing throughout their roster. If we had a starting White running back for every starting black quarterback, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, TJ Watt to the Steelers is disappointing. The Steelers stack their roster with 50 blacks and always seem to have 3 elite White players who elevate the team. I hate that because it is systematic racism that refuses to have Whites throughout the roster or in caste positions.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Absolutely amazing that CM went #8 and Dalvin Cook wasn't even picked in round one. Could have gotten great odds on that in Vegas even a few days ago. McCaffrey is carrying a heavy burden........probably the biggest potential caste breaker in over a generation.......if successful he will dwarf even Wes Welker's contribution to our cause. Just curious.....what was the fan reaction when the Panthers picked him? I missed the pick on TV

I didn't see the immediate reaction on TV but I looked at a fan site, Cat Scratch Reader. The fan reaction there seemed to be mainly positive. They had a poll and over 80% voted the pick an A or a B.

The comments were mainly positive but there were a number of negative comments. There were also racist comments. For example, one commenter called him "the great white hope" and another referred to "white man legs."

But overall the fan reaction was positive.

Shadowlight

Master
What a night and I think a triumph for caste busting. I grade it a very high A- and will explain--of course the grade is based on what white players were available so things are still bad and we all know it.
A few quickies before I get to the two main dishes. Regarding the QB's. I was shocked to see these moves and they are huge risk/reward maneuvers. I agree with the experts who say Trubisky has the most raw talent out of the group and the most potential but the Bears made a ballsy choice and we will have to wait and see a couple of years if it works out. My guess is it will but they will take a lot of heat for a year. KC has a QB and they moved up for QB Mahomes who is built like a walrus are you kidding me? Talk about a wasted pick . Ditto the Bengals and that track star. Watson to Houston . Talk about being sent to Siberia good luck there fella.
Christian: I made my concerns felt earlier about this offense and not fitting in. And the media has reiterated that this morning. And a big part of the problem is Cam is just a big clumsy ox and everyone knows it and as he gets older that condition will worsen. There are concerns about Kuechly and his mounting head injuries and Olsen who is terrific isn't getting any younger. They did resign athletic back up S Colin Jones though.
But apart from the Eagles in reality where did we want Christian to end up? Maybe the Redskins but if you go through the league you realize most places suck. Imagine Christian in Tampa Bay or Jacksonville or those bevy of dull west coast teams. Ughhh. Carolina is an East Coast team with a growing market. The media likes them. They are a FUN team as the kids grab the balls after TD's and overall much more preferable to more than half the dullard franchises out there. And if you read between the lines Christian and his dad most likely told teams with artificial turf to lay off otherwise there would be contract trouble. And even the Jets and the all that big NYC media attention play on a carpet. Carolina is already preparing to change their ways to fit Christian in by hiring his ex coach from Stanford. Can you get any more obvious than that? And this is where Christian wanted to go so why doubt this guy? Everyone blathered on about how him sitting out that bowl game would hurt his draft chances ( not me) and he ended up going 8. Also if he was a slot receiver then I would say the fit is too tough to manage. But he is a RB who sometimes lines up in the slot so Carolina is going to adjust and Christian will MAKE them adjust to him and I think at the end of the day this will work out. And one other thing in case you were wondering if Christian gets his way or not. Carolina probably has the lightest softest fluffiest grass field in the NFL. Doe this cat know what he is doing or what?
The other highlight is another big market team Pitt taking DE/LB TJ Watt. They filled a need and took one of the best talents in all of the draft. Bulls eye to them and hell you have to go back to ancient times the last time Pitt pulled the trigger on a game changing white athlete and again like Christian he landed on a great media team. We are off to a flying start. The third day when our boys the WR's get involved will ultimately determine the final grade on this draft.

RTTAS

Guru
Players from the Texas Tech top 10 passing yardage leaders this century:
1st, Graham Harrell - undrafted, 2009
2nd, Kliff Kingsbury - pick 201, 2003, threw two NFL passes
3rd, Patrick Mahomes - pick 10, 2017
4th, Seth Doege - undrafted, 2013
6th, Taylor Potts - undrafted, 2011
9th, BJ Symons - pick 238, 2004, 0 pass attempts
In addition to Sonny Cumbie, lead the nation in passing for 2004 before going undrafted.

Such a coincidence that Mahomes is the massive outlier, and he's also a media darling black quarterback.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Day two should be interesting - hopefully we see Kupp and Hansen both go today. It is always enjoyable seeing the black projected 1st rounders fall out of the first.

Probably my biggest disappointment was the Dolphins not getting Lamp in the first round. I doubt he will fall to them in the second and I have read they like a poly-sumo. If Dan Feeney is still available perhaps they will draft him.

Our guys most likely to get drafted in the 2nd/3rd rounds:

Davis Webb
Nate Peterman
Cooper Kupp
Chad Hansen
Adam Shaheen
Jake Butt
Forest Lamp
Dan Feeney
Ethan Pocic
Pat Eflein
Alex Anzalone