2016 Training Camp and Pre-Season

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Crawfords' DWFs were ecstatic when the team signed Ladarius Green despite his being a career underachiever. "Dat upside" was all they could see. Well now, Green is plagued with two separate maladies, including his mysterious bout of headaches that won't go away, and it looks like he won't be reaching his mouth watering upside this year, which opens the door for second year tight end Jesse James, who grew up in Pittsburgh and went to Penn State.

ESPN Steelers reporter Jeremy Fowler believes Ladarius Green (ankle, headaches, active/PUP) could be headed to injured reserve. That would be an odd decision considering the Steelers could just stash him on the reserve/PUP to start the season, but the overall takeaway is Green remains highly questionable for Week 1. With Green's future in doubt, Jesse James has suddenly become an interesting late-round pick in deeper leagues.

Heretic

Master
Good article on Lion's QB, Jack Rudock, who I thought was one of the best and probably most underrated QB at the FCS level last year with the Michigan Wolverines.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Bengals' Andrew Billings -- who would be winning Gold medals in powerlifting according to his hype-train -- is expected to miss the season after having surgery for a torn meniscus.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Trevor Semian getting the start this week over the spicchise. Kubiak is actually having a fair qb competition unlike hue Jackson who anointed the gremlin his starter in Cleveland.

The media also failed to mention Lynch's very good debut last week. They would rather hype up a quoataback.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Seahawks pull Jake heaps after one series. I checked Twitter and the hate for heaps is amazing with the Seahawks dwfs - absolutely pathetic collection of people.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I am cautiously optimistic that Aj Derby will have a good year for the pats too. He has another great performance tonight.

All signs point to Derby making the squad over black journeyman TE, Clay Harbor. Derby was drafted by the Pats and Harbor was a FA signing in 2016, he's had a much better pre-season statistically, and he's a much bigger, faster, and stronger athlete. Also, Harbor was never known for his blocking skills while with the Eagles.

Even if Derby makes the 53-man roster, he probably won't get too many offensive reps, kind of like when TE Matthew Mulligan (mostly a blocker on ST, goal line downs, and running-out-the-clock offense) was on the team.

Best case scenario - Bennett is injured and the Pats pair Gronk with Derby. I didn't like the Bennett signing, but the guy does have some talent and it's hard to complain about an NFL offense with arguably the greatest QB to ever play, whose starting OL is among the most white-friendly in the league for the past decade, whose top 3 WRs (Hogan, Edelman, Amendola) are white, whose fullback is white (Develin) and also features the Gronkowski at TE (the most dominant offensive player in league history). Even with Brady's suspension, it should be a great season for this unit.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
LB Joe Walker tore his acl and will miss this season. That really sucks as he was one of the most talented and athletic lbs in this class but was of course not drafted
until the 7th round.

RB10

It appears as if the media has found their next savior in Dak Prescott. Gleefully hyping him to the moon. But in the meantime Bryce Petty is having a great game for the Jets.

PHillisFan

Master
It appears as if the media has found their next savior in Dak Prescott. Gleefully hyping him to the moon. But in the meantime Bryce Petty is having a great game for the Jets.

The same with the Gremlin. Hopefully Romo will hold him off until the afleets rookie contract expires.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The "Battle of New York" currently taking place is certainly a depressing one. The Bills started two Whites on their first team, both o-linemen, while the Giants started Eli and two White o-linemen. DT Kyle Williams will start for Buffalo when he's healthy, but he's nearing the end of his very solid career. The other New York team, the Jets, are just as bad. This is going to be another tough NFL regular season, with all-black defenses galore and lots of black dominated offenses.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The "Battle of New York" currently taking place is certainly a depressing one. The Bills started two Whites on their first team, both o-linemen, while the Giants started Eli and two White o-linemen. DT Kyle Williams will start for Buffalo when he's healthy, but he's nearing the end of his very solid career. The other New York team, the Jets, are just as bad. This is going to be another tough NFL regular season, with all-black defenses galore and lots of black dominated offenses.

Buffalo and the Giants - two teams with black GMs.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Great article full of caste information and black racism on display yet it is accepted by the media and dwfs. No articles on BSPN about this, they save that for entitled black black quarterbacks whining about the dual threat label.

Really hoping Thielen has a breakout year and Freuchte makes the team too. I wish they both would call out the bias and discrimination they face rather than just say they want to play football etc.

http://www.startribune.com/wide-receiver-adam-thielen-isn-t-just-a-vikings-spare-part/390813481/

Wide receiver Adam Thielen isn't just a Vikings spare part
The Minnesotan has made strides every year as a pro.
By Mark Craig Star Tribune

Adam Thielen stood there, not sure what was going on at first. But he had an idea. After all, he’s the prototypical NFL overachiever. He’s used to having his book judged by its cover.

It was Aug. 10 and the Vikings were in Cincinnati. Two days of joint practices with the Bengals had just begun, and it was time for 1-on-1 drills between receivers and defensive backs. Thielen, a Vikings receiver, was among the first to line up. But the Bengals’ starting cornerbacks, Dre Kirkpatrick and Adam “Pacman” Jones, wanted no part of him.

Afraid? No. Condescending? A little bit.

The two cornerbacks, onlookers reported, teased Thielen and fellow receiver Isaac Fruechte, saying, “We want to go against some dawgs! This team has no dawgs!” Thielen said he couldn’t hear what they were saying but realized what was happening when Kirkpatrick and Jones dropped back in line so they could face other receivers.

“They wouldn’t go against me, so they made the backups come up,” Thielen said. “It’s disrespectful. You feel disrespected, but at the same time, it is what it is. I really don’t care.”

Fellow Vikings receiver Cordarrelle Patterson is Thielen’s best friend on the team. He has seen his buddy prejudged before. But Patterson is not complaining, since he believes it’s to the Vikings’ advantage.

“We want people to look at Adam and say, ‘Oh, he’s nothing. He’s just a short white guy. He can’t play no ball,’ ” Patterson said. “And then he gets open. It seems like every play, he’s open. And on special teams, he’s doing everything. Blocking punts for touchdowns, running reverses or whatever. It seems like he’s always the right guy at the right spot at the right time.”

Actually, Thielen isn’t short. He’s 6-2. He also weighs 200 pounds and ran a 4.45 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL’s 2013 super regional combine. Meanwhile, the 6-3, 210-pound Fruechte, who also is white, might be the fastest receiver on the 90-man roster.

But stereotypes do exist, according to players and coaches. Thielen isn’t insulted by comparisons to other players such as Wes Welker. He would love to match Welker’s career. But they’re completely different types of players, Vikings coach George Stewart points out.

“Wes was a small slot guy; Adam is 6-2 and fast,” Stewart said. “Adam is an outside guy who can play inside, too. If anything, I see the correlation being an Isaac Bruce. I think that’s the problem that Adam has had. He gets lumped in with people. He’s his own man, and he’s a pro’s pro.”

Thielen was born in northern Minnesota. He went to Detroit Lakes High School, where he stood out in football, basketball, baseball and golf. He won a state team title in golf and is considered the best golfer on the Vikings.

As a senior, he was all-state on a 9-1 football team. He ended up at Division II Minnesota State Mankato, but he’s not complaining. That’s where he met his wife, Caitlin, a standout soccer player and the mother of the couple’s first child, a boy, due in October.

As for the NFL, talent and dedication always find a pathway onto a 53-man roster. After spending 2013 on the Vikings practice squad as an undrafted free agent, Thielen has taken on a larger role every season since. Already a special teams leader, he has been a steady presence in the Vikings’ three-man receiver sets this summer.

Thielen, 25, has moved ahead of sneaky playmaker Jarius Wright on the Vikings’ unofficial depth chart. Wright, of course, has missed the first two preseason games because of a leg injury. But Thielen also is showing more versatility.

Some defenders might be caught off-guard when they first encounter Thielen. Wright told the story of the 2014 season finale when the Bears sideline was yelling “Decoy!” when Thielen ran onto the field for a few snaps later in the game.

Asked if he thought race was a factor in some of the comments, Thielen said he hadn’t really thought about it and added, “I don’t know if it’s a white thing or what. I can’t really worry about that because I don’t really care what people think about me or the color of my skin. I’m just playing football.

“In that Chicago game, their coaches and players were yelling, ‘Decoy. He’s only a blocking receiver.’ It was kind of funny.”

Then the blocking receiver ran past the secondary and caught a 44-yard touchdown pass from Teddy Bridgewater in a 13-9 win.

Two days after that Aug. 10 practice in Cincinnati, the Vikings beat the Bengals in a preseason opener. The first touchdown of the game was set up by Thielen making a leaping catch in traffic over the middle for 22 yards. Coach Mike Zimmer said the throw exemplifies Bridgewater’s newfound willingness to trust a receiver to make a contested play down the field.

In Thursday’s second preseason game, an 18-11 victory at Seattle, Thielen led Vikings receivers with four catches for 61 yards. He caught an 18-yarder over the middle from Shaun Hill on third-and-8 on the Vikings’ first drive of the game, and a 17-yarder from Joel Stave on third-and-10 to set up a 27-yard field goal in the closing seconds of the first half.

“Adam always kind of plays with a chip on his shoulder,” Zimmer said. “I know he got into a little altercation [with Jones] down there [in Cincinnati]. But that’s how he is and that’s how he has to play.”

Yes, Jones eventually did have to cover Thielen back on Aug. 10. When he did, he ripped Thielen’s helmet off. He wasn’t happy. Teammates stepped in.

Thielen said the altercation had nothing to do with Jones’ initial reaction to him during the 1-on-1 drills.

“No, not at all,” Thielen said. “When he first saw me, we hadn’t done anything yet, so he and [Kirkpatrick] probably didn’t know anything about me. But once we started practicing, I feel like they realized pretty quick that I could play.”

And if they didn’t, Patterson doesn’t care.

“Adam is as good as any receiver on our team,” Patterson said. “I saw they didn’t want to go against him. That’s just something they wanted to do. But I’d match Adam up with those two guys any day. I don’t care how they feel. That’s how we feel.”

Last edited:

northwinds

Mentor
Patriots Dion Lewis getting another knee surgery.....will start season on PUP list. Hopefully, this will open up opportunities for Tyler Gaffney.

Tannehill17

Mentor
The often injured Mike Pouncey out with a hip injury for the Dolphins. This will open up a spot for Anthony Steen who had a pretty good career at the University of Alabama. Hope he plays well, and maybe the Dolphins can finally move on from Pouncey who is one of the most overrated, overpaid centers in the league.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The often injured Mike Pouncey out with a hip injury for the Dolphins. This will open up a spot for Anthony Steen who had a pretty good career at the University of Alabama. Hope he plays well, and maybe the Dolphins can finally move on from Pouncey who is one of the most overrated, overpaid centers in the league.

Tannehill17 good to hear from you! I have not seen you post in awhile. Was actually thinking about your take on the Dolphins this year when I was watching the preseason game. Man are they a dark team - sumo line and coal black defense except for Vigil and Alonso. Do you think Whalen makes the team?

Tannehill17

Mentor
Tannehill17 good to hear from you! I have not seen you post in awhile. Was actually thinking about your take on the Dolphins this year when I was watching the preseason game. Man are they a dark team - sumo line and coal black defense except for Vigil and Alonso. Do you think Whalen makes the team?

I hope Whalen makes it. I don't know if he will because the team seems pretty stacked at WR. I'm more worried about Jordan Cameron though. He hasn't performed well in these last 2 preseason games. I know Gase wanted to get him more involved in the offense but he's been pretty quiet so far. Plus, he didn't do himself any favors with the DWF's when he dropped that touchdown pass in the endzone in the game against the Cowboys.

The sumo line is definitely concerning. I hated the Laremy Tunsil pick at the time, but he seems to be a solid player so far. He'll be replacing another sumo in Dallas Thomas, so he won't be taking a spot away from a white guy. What I don't understand is why isn't Kraig Urbik getting a closer look at the RG spot. Jermon Bushrod has already been penciled in as the starter despite never playing the guard position before in his life. Only in the racist NFL could something like this happen. Urbik is a more than serviceable guard, yet is seen as nothing more than a back up. Gee, I wonder why?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Semian is getting the start this week. I hope he does well. Obviously Lynch is the future but if Semian plays well he can parlay this oppourtunity into a starting job elsewhere down the road.

Tannehill17

Mentor
The Miami DWF's are out in full force calling for Jordan Cameron to be cut after one drop in a meaningless preseason game. The DWF's want Dion Sims to start due to his "upside" Never mind the fact that Sims has never been able to get separation, nor has he ever shown great hands. Cameron on the other hand didn't have a single drop all last season. Yep, no double standard here. Our teams TE position is really up in the air right now. We cut Jake Stoneburner (I don't know why. He showed some ability last year.... I guess he didn't possess the mythical "upside") and while I like Thomas Duarte (not white, but Filipino I believe) The move to cut Stoneburner made no sense.