2016 Training Camp and Pre-Season

white is right

Hall of Famer
Unreal. They chose UDFA Alan Cross(Memphis) over him..
Technically they chose journeyman Luke Stocker over the best fullback in the draft. I don't get this one and I hope a team who needs a utility back claims him on waivers in the near future. He shouldn't rot on Tampa's practice squad for long.

PHillisFan

Master
I am hoping they saw how great he was in practices and the first game and let him sit the rest of the games due to injury. He is better than any receiver that has been on that roster in the last 5 years at least.

I read somewhere that afleet rc Pharoah Cooper won the 3rd receiver job, but it wasnt him that was making plays in the start of the preaseason, it was Spruce. Spruce should be their #3 at the very least.

Tannehill17

Mentor
I posted this over in the White purge thread by mistake, but I figure I'd post it here too since it goes more along with this thread

Last years 4th round pick for the Fins, sumo Jamil Douglas has been cut. Another wasted pick from Tannenbaum and company in their quest to build an all sumo OL. Now if they could only cut Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas, while signing Josh Sitton, we would be all set. In other good news, local South Florida boy, QB Brandon Doughty has made the team.

EDIT: Mike Hull has also made the team.

EDIT: I've since deleted the other post

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Patriots get blacker - they shipped OL Josh Kline to the Eagles for CB Eric Rowe.

Shadowlight

Master
Amidst the standard gloom where expectations are never remotely met( I fully understand the frustration here at CF) a small silver lining but I mean small. The cutting of the two players who were drafted and play the most important position(Braverman and Bohringer ) is enough to make one sick for a very long time. But as it turns out with an even swap if you will as Alex Erickson and Jordan Taylor just barely made their 53 man roster. (Bengals and Broncos) It has been discussed here but if these two guys did not make up for those other two cuts I would be stark raving mad.
Rather weird because Erickson not being drafted was a bit of a surprise and Taylor not being drafted in 2015 was a real downer. Both players have speed and are athletic so not bad on that score. Braverman is slighter than Erickson. I would say Braverman is shiftier and quicker but Erickson is more versatile and probably has better top end speed. Bohringer was an athletic stud but coming from Europe you have to figure he is a project. Taylor has all the so called tools you need to play in the NFL and got shafted draft day. Let us hope both stick and maybe Braverman and or Bohringer get their chance but I have to admit I rarely follow free agents because they usually have the smallest of chances to stick in the NFL. Need I say especially white wide receivers!
At least the Pack kept their talented trio! I'm assuming Thielen made the Vikings roster? And of course late good news on Mariani.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
What's ominous about Braverman is that he cleared waivers and was added to Chicago's practice squad. 31 teams had the chance to pick him up and all passed. Most teams are weak at receiver, especially when it comes to depth. Braverman is an instant upgrade for so many teams even if he spends a season on the bench.

Proves again that there are no "caste busters." After Welker's success, Braverman should be seen as a hot commodity, but if he ever does carve out a role he'll have to go through a prolonged racial apprenticeship first.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This likely means the instant demotion of Adam Humphries. Weenieworld obviously thinks it does. But it's only a matter of time until Shorts is injured again:

Bucs signed WR Cecil Shorts to a one-year contract. Pushed out by the Texans' youth movement at receiver, Shorts has landed on his feet with a team where he should immediately slot in as the No. 3 receiver. That's literally and figuratively, as the slot should be Shorts' home in Tampa. Shorts is still only 28, but prone to soft-tissue injuries. He'll be well behind Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson on the targets totem pole, and doesn't figure to come into 2016 fantasy value.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Beat me to it Don.

The lions also signed a black tight end so I'm guessing a white will have to be cut for his roster spot.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's some good news. I haven't been paying enough attention to Schobert.

Emmanuel Ogbah and Joe Schobert listed as starting LBs for Browns

When a 53-man roster has 18 rookies, the odds of a few first-year guys starting improves drastically. With the Cleveland Browns releasing their unofficial depth chart heading into their Week 1 contest against the Philadelphia Eagles, a surprise starter comes in the way of rookie Joe Schobert who will line up across from fellow rookie Emmanuel Ogbah as the team’s starting outside linebackers—one of the league’s more preeminent game-changing positions.

Schobert, a fourth-round selection out of Wisconsin, showed peaks and valleys during the team’s preseason slate, but finished on a high note in the fourth week. While some fans may be skeptical, Browns head coach Hue Jackson apparently saw enough to promote the rookie ahead of last season’s second round pick Nate Orchard.

full article: http://waitingfornextyear.com/2016/09/emmanuel-ogbah-joe-schobert-browns/