2015 NFL Draft

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Heinicke could be make push into 2nd/3rd rd!?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Heinicke could be make push into 2nd/3rd rd!?

Really? I think he is projected more as 5th-6th round pick. I won't complain if he goes earlier though! Off the top of my head I can't recall a qb who didn't attend the combine but was a high round pick. Granted he was better than every scrub no name black quarterback that was invited.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Really? I think he is projected more as 5th-6th round pick. I won't complain if he goes earlier though! Off the top of my head I can't recall a qb who didn't attend the combine but was a high round pick. Granted he was better than every scrub no name black quarterback that was invited.

Yeah I might have gotten a little carried away. In a fair world I think he'd be a mid Round pick. hes prototype dual threat and he's been working with Jeff Garcia as his QB coach.

I also thought Connor Shaw and Brett Smith should have been drafted but no one pulled the trigger on them.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Yeah I might have gotten a little carried away. In a fair world I think he'd be a mid Round pick. hes prototype dual threat and he's been working with Jeff Garcia as his QB coach.

I also thought Connor Shaw and Brett Smith should have been drafted but no one pulled the trigger on them.

He was one of the more curious combine snubs. Seeing Blake Sims, Nick Marshall, Jerry Lovelocke (who?!), Anthony Boone and Brandon Bridge (media hype job favorite) all get invites and perform poorly yet someone as prolific as Taylor doesn't even get a chance. At his pro day he proved to be more athletic than all of the black QBs invited and over his career he was the better player on the field as well.

At least Henicke, Petty and Mannion had strong pro days and seem to be at least generating a decent amount of positive buzz. Hoping Grayson does the same this week at his pro day.

Who really knows how this is going to all pan out - I get less and less emotionally involved in following the draft process yet every draft i find myself extremely pissed off at the outcome. Hopefully their isn't a Borland effect with white LBs in which teams will avoid them just because they are white.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The lazy eyed dope Jason La Canfora is spreading yet another false rumor that the Browns want Mariota. La Canfora has always spread so many false rumors, he has no credibility. I am baffled he still has a job. He just seems hellbent on destroying Manziel.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Garret Grayson had a really good pro day today. Completed 70-74 passes, ran 4.72/4.76 40, 34 inch vert, 10 ft 1 inch broad jump. He is going to be a riser, probably not like Bortles but may be like Carr was last year.

Gotta love his confidence in reading these interviews:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...son-puts-own-game-on-par-with-winston-mariota

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...do-state-grayson-nfl-scouts-pro-day/70332880/

Walterfootball shows Grayson running faster, in the 4.5 range. I wonder which numbers are correct.

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Walterfootball shows Grayson running faster, in the 4.5 range. I wonder which numbers are correct.

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

Either way - whether he ran a 4.5 Or 4.7 as long as he showed off his arm strength and accuracy that is what is most important.

I am hoping that Mannion, Petty or Grayson are drafted by Buffalo. All three have had performed very well during the pre draft process.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

Shadowlight

Master
Jaxon Shipley Pro Day

Shipley ran an unofficial 4.47 40. Partly due to the system and QB he never seemed as good as brother Jordan. That said he has a 50% chance of getting drafted now. That leaves the best one left Jordan Taylor and if he runs a 4.4 40 Wednesday then I am almost certain he will get drafted. Best case scenario is Shipley, Taylor and Kumerow get drafted. At this point only Taylor has a shot of decent playing time. Shipley looks like an ideal punt returner and back up slot receiver. At this point I'll be happy if two out of three get picked. But we know the drill white guys always slide downward draft day although I am hearing LB Davis Tull has a lot of teams drooling over his athletic explosiveness and potential.
And to echo above Weisman from Iowa who had a stellar career looks like he will get drafted as a hybrid RB/FB.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A black with Weisman's numbers and production = highly ranked potential workhorse running back.

A white with Weisman's numbers and production = a "John Kuhn-type" fullback who if drafted at all will likely go on the final day, ala Peyton Hillis in 2008.

According to a source, who used words like “monster†and “freakish,†Weisman (6-0, 242) ran his 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds. Of the 31 running backs who ran the 40 at the Combine, only 12 were faster than Weisman. Moreover ...

— Of the 25 backs to run the three-cone drill at the Combine, only four were faster than Weisman’s 6.88.

— Of the 32 backs who did the broad jump, only four jumped further than Weisman’s 10 feet, 3 inches.

— Of the 26 backs who performed the short shuttle, only nine were faster than Weisman’s 4.17.

— Of the 29 backs who did the vertical jump, only eight jumped higher than Weisman’s 36 inches.

More than just a workout warrior, Weisman’s career totals include 599 rushes for 2,602 yards and 32 touchdowns over just three seasons after transferring from Air Force. As a senior, he was a second-team Academic All-American by rushing for 812 yards. His 16 rushing touchdowns rank third-best in school history.

http://gnb.scout.com/story/1530625-pro-day-tour-weisman-states-case

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Beau Blankenship worked out yesterday at Ohio's pro day - ran 4.41/4.44 in what is probably his final attempt to catch on with a pro squad after getting cut from the Jaguars last year as a rookie.

Former Iowa Rb Brandon wegher ran a 4.40 st
iowa states pro day.

Shipley had a great pro day. It's a shame he was a combine and senior bowl snub due to playing with a terrible qb.

I can't find a source with a full listing of results for the Iowa pro day. I have heard Andrew Donnal performed well. I am interested to hear how John Lowdermilk performed.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Beau Blankenship worked out yesterday at Ohio's pro day - ran 4.41/4.44 in what is probably his final attempt to catch on with a pro squad after getting cut from the Jaguars last year as a rookie.

iowa states pro day.

Shipley had a great pro day. It's a shame he was a combine and senior bowl snub due to playing with a terrible qb.

I can't find a source with a full listing of results for the Iowa pro day. I have heard Andrew Donnal performed well. I am interested to hear how John Lowdermilk performed.

Very good times for our guys! I hope some of that eye popping athleticism caught the attention of some scouts. Andrew Donnal is very underrated basically because he's not a sumo. This is going to be a sumo heavy draft for the first couple rounds...

white lightning

Hall of Famer

iowa states pro day.

I will forever be pissed about Brandon Wegher and the bad decisions he made in his youth. No he is not a criminal but having a kid but leaving Iowa might have destroyed his career forever. He was like Sam McGuffie but better. He had huge success in college and in a high profile bowl game. He did it against good competition and was one of the few white running backs to actually early on have scouts drewling. He could have been special. I can only hope that some team will take a chance on this kid. I think he knows how bad he screwed up and work harder than anyone to not only make a nfl team but also to get back to being a star running back. His speed, cutting ability, power and cordination remind me so much of Luke Staley. Wegher is amazing. Let's just hope some team thinks that too. I would love to see him drafted but I know it won't happen. He will have to go the free agent route and even then if he's lucky. Got my fingers crossed.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Now on to much more amusing news. Hatie Smiff is indicating that he's all-in for Jameez as his first pick in the draft. This would be too awesome. Jameez is going to set new standards for stupendous-mega-colossal busts. Here is one story on the lovefest.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
According to the "experts" he has more football iq than any quarterback since Manning.
Trying to pass off this ******* dullard as some sort of football genius is one of the biggest lies the Corporate Sports Media has ever come up with.

Shadowlight

Master
Jordan Taylor Pro Day

WR Taylor out of Rice ran a 4.5 flat 40 with a 37 inch vertical. He showed quickness during the other drills. Again skilled white players ie safeties and wideouts often slip off the map come draft day. Speculation is Taylor will get drafted in the late rounds. It would be a great surprise if all three of the top white wideouts get drafted but at this stage we can only hope Taylor, Shipley and Kumerow get called . My understanding is Wegher will not be drafted and NFL teams made up their minds on him before his workout.
Since wide receiver is my favorite position and with guys like Edelman performing like Superman in the Super Bowl lets hope this trend picks up the pace. Next stop are cornerbacks---within the next few years we need to see some starting cbs in the NFL.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Good news about Taylor. Another combine snub Nevada's Brock Hekking pumped out 28reps on bench and ran in 4.6 range. Very impressive!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Great article on Ben Heeney who essentially calls out the caste system.

http://cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/2015-03-25/ben-heeney-out-prove-stereotypes-incorrect

[h=1]Ben Heeney out to prove stereotypes incorrect[/h]
[h=2]Jayhawks linebacker expected to be taken in 2015 NFL Draft[/h]
Posted: March 25, 2015 - 8:44pm

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Kansas linebacker Ben Heeney, left, has seen his draft stock skyrocket after being the top performer in three categories at the NFL scouting in February. Heeney set the linebacker record in the 60-yard shuttle and will soon workout for the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Read more KU stories at HawkZone

By Jesse Newell
jesse.newell@cjonline.com
LAWRENCE — Ben Heeney wants you to know this is not a shock.
The Kansas linebacker is standing on the Kansas practice field turf Wednesday afternoon, and no matter what you might think about what kind of player he is, he’s here to tell you you’re probably not right.
About a month ago, the 6-foot senior was invited to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, one of 34 linebackers trying to prove they were athletic enough to play in the NFL.
Then a funny thing happened: Heeney was the top performer in three of the seven drills at his position while also setting a new linebacker record in the 60-yard shuttle.
“I know it surprised all you, but I knew that was going to happen. I was never surprised,â€￾ Heeney said. “I was never like, ‘Whoa, I actually did that?’ No, it’s what I’ve been doing.â€￾
Heeney had been training with Exos in Pensacola, Fla., and many of the times he hit in Indy were similar to ones he had there.
So why the disconnect? Why was Heeney suddenly getting phone calls after the combine from teams that didn’t know about him when he knew he could do this the whole time?
“Whether it is or not, a white linebacker, you’re considered not athletic,â€￾ Heeney said. “You’re considered a gym rat, a film rat, a student of the game … which I would say I am. I’m in the film room. I like watching film and studying film.

“But my athleticism has always either been diminished or just basically like it hasn’t been there, like I have no athleticism — like basically everything I’ve been doing is just based off my hard work and stuff. But my athleticism speaks for itself.â€￾
It certainly does now.
Heeney’s 60-yard shuttle time was most impressive. His mark of 11.06 seconds ranked first in the last decade among linebackers, directly ahead of Von Miller — a Texas A&M product who later went No. 2 in the 2011 draft.
Heeney's phone was buzzing afterwards. One call came from a Philadelphia Eagles assistant who interviewed him for 30 minutes.
“Since the combine,â€￾ Heeney said, “I’ve gotten a little more hype.â€￾
The Hutchinson native, who is projected as a mid- to late-round selection when the draft begins next month, will have a few more chances to improve his stock. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are coming to work him out on March 27, and the New England Patriots will do the same on March 31. Both teams also will take a look at KU cornerback JaCorey Shepherd.
Heeney also has had discussions with various Kansas City Chiefs officials, including a conversation with one staff member during KU’s Pro Day on Wednesday.
“He just told me that they’ve seen everything that they need to see about me,â€￾ Heeney said. “My game tape speaks for itself.â€￾
Heeney will continue his training in Lawrence while working with KU basketball strength coach Andrea Hudy.
For now, the plan is to hold a draft party with family and friends in Kansas City with the hope that some team will see him as a fit.
“It’s going to be a dream come true,â€￾ Heeney said. “That’s what I’ve been working for since I was in third grade, since I first started playing football. It’s been my favorite sport since third grade. It’s been my best sport — what I’ve been good at my whole life.
“If my dreams come true, then I’ll be a happy man.â€￾

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Good news about Taylor. Another combine snub Nevada's Brock Hekking pumped out 28reps on bench and ran in 4.6 range. Very impressive!

Hekking is a beast! Glad to see Taylor ran well. Both were huge combine and senior bowl snubs.

“Whether it is or not, a white linebacker, you’re considered not athletic,†Heeney said. “You’re considered a gym rat, a film rat, a student of the game … which I would say I am. I’m in the film room. I like watching film and studying film.

“But my athleticism has always either been diminished or just basically like it hasn’t been there, like I have no athleticism — like basically everything I’ve been doing is just based off my hard work and stuff. But my athleticism speaks for itself.â€

Wow! He did everything but call it "The Caste System". They will find a way to shut him up in a hurry.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Heeney's words have to sting all of the draftniks and personnel folks just a little because he is absolutely right. It makes me wonder if the next generation of white kids will begin to question all the stereotypes. He is about 10 years younger than me, perhaps that generation is going to start questioning all the bull**** diversity nonsense that has been regurgitated in academia and athletics year after year. I vaguely recall Nick Staukas calling out the caste system last year as well.

Do white athletes haves these conversations with each other? I would hope so. Are they finally getting fed up with the discrimination they face? They have grown up with Internet access and the ability to access information from alternative media rather than having been raised solely on Sportscenter highlights like my generation was. Maybe it's a pipe dream but this type of statement by Heeney is encouraging and took some guts
on his part to bring it up.

I have a heightened respect of him after these comments. His athletic show at the combine was one thing but rather than covering it up and being unnecessarily humble about it he is calling it like it is.

Hopefully he is drafted in the third/fourth round. He should be everyone on this sites favorite prospect at this point :arms:

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Conner Vernon ran a 4.4 at Dukes pro day . Hes already been purged by 3teams in his short career. Hopefully he can Stick around