2014 World Cup Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
So England goes to 9 whites and scores. Good for Rooney. Maybe that will put a sock in the gob of the UK sportswriters.

Matra2

Master
So England goes to 9 whites and scores. Good for Rooney. Maybe that will put a sock in the gob of the UK sportswriters.

Given that it was Johnson who set up the goal I doubt it. Suarez then scores and poor Gerrard is at fault again. (His slip a few weeks contributed mightily to Liverpool losing the title race). But full marks to Suarez for anticipating things then putting the ball in the net.

foobar75

Master
Given that it was Johnson who set up the goal I doubt it. Suarez then scores and poor Gerrard is at fault again. (His slip a few weeks contributed mightily to Liverpool losing the title race). But full marks to Suarez for anticipating things then putting the ball in the net.

Two incredible goals by Suarez, and to be honest, both scored against what appeared to be an all-white English defense, so we need call it like it is.

I'm happy for Uruguay, but they're not done yet. They probably have to beat Italy to advance.

Last edited:

frederic38

Hall of Famer
poor Gerrard is at fault again. (His slip a few weeks contributed mightily to Liverpool losing the title race

so says the media
even with a draw in the game gerrard did this slip in, liverpool wouldn't have won the league
and gerrard is not responsible for liverpool going from leading 3-0 to a 3-3 draw against crystal palace
the truth is that liverpool had a terrible defence this past season
there was no way they would have won the league with such a bad defence
manchester city had better strikers and a better defence

Matra2

Master
The first sentence of my last post didn't entirely makes sense but...forget it.

Technically, England are still in the tournament. If Italy beat Costa Rica tomorrow then Uruguay in the final match and England beat CR by a couple of goals they can go through on goal difference. Obviously it is not looking good though for England.

Sturridge is in the running for most frequent diver in world football.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I can see why. He won't play his young and dynamic guys like Wilshere, Adam Lallana or Luke Shaw. He also won't play a proven veteran in Lampard who knows how to put the ball in the net. He's putting too much faith also in the Liverpool contingent.

But according to the media, they did start their "young and dynamic" guys in Sturridge, Sterling, and Welbeck.:icon_rolleyes: A lot of damn good that did them. I know the defense was at fault as well, especially with Suarez's last goal, but these "exciting, young attackers" managed a grand total of a single goal, a tap in by Sturridge. They should've started Wilshere and Lallana, in addition to playing Lampard a bit more.

Matra2

Master
even with a draw in the game gerrard did this slip in, liverpool wouldn't have won the league

Every action affects future events. The slip was vital as it put massive pressure on them from then on. Not really his fault as everybody slips some time but the timing and consequences of his couldn't have been worse.

Matra2

Master
cavani's horrible miss could have been costly in that match

I was going to mention that. Cavani has done nothing for Uruguay in both matches. They are clearly a different team when Suarez is in the line-up. I wonder if Forlan will get any playing time against Italy.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
Every action affects future events. The slip was vital as it put massive pressure on them from then on. Not really his fault as everybody slips some time but the timing and consequences of his couldn't have been worse.

maybe but losing a 3-0 lead in 10 minutes, i don't see how the pressure can explain that

frederic38

Hall of Famer
now greece need to win or draw against japan
i really hope that they will qualify in this group instead of these non-white nations

uruguay's group was more neutral as italy, england and uruguay all are mainly white yet they all have non-white players
but in greece's group it's very important that greece does well because all the other teams are all-black or all-asian

frederic38

Hall of Famer
Good for Rooney. Maybe that will put a sock in the gob of the UK sportswriters.

they were counting the minutes he played without scoring a goal in a world cup :frusty:
can't they see who the team's striker is?
in this tournament he has been the most dangerous english player so far

frederic38

Hall of Famer
on uruguay's second goal , there was not much the defenders could have done
on thing i don't understand though, is why was england attacking so much, playing so high?
wasn't 1-1 a good result for them?

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
they were counting the minutes he played without scoring a goal in a world cup :frusty:
can't they see who the team's striker is?
in this tournament he has been the most dangerous english player so far
He has been. Some bad luck that he didn't score a few more today. England looked more dangerous when they subbed off Welbeck and Sterling. Will Hodgson change his starting XI next game?

frederic38

Hall of Famer
He has been. Some bad luck that he didn't score a few more today. England looked more dangerous when they subbed off Welbeck and Sterling. Will Hodgson change his starting XI next game?

honestly, we shouldn't even be talking about a team that starts welbeck :grin:
go greece!

foobar75

Master
To be fair, Greece is probably one of the worst 3-4 teams in the tournament, along with those African teams. It's a far cry from the 2004 days when they won Euro 2004.

There are much better white teams such as Poland, Ukraine, and Sweden who should've been here instead.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Even if Greece wins versus Japan they still need to win outright against Ivory Coast due to the goal differential. So a draw is no big deal here. A loss is catastrophic.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
To be fair, Greece is probably one of the worst 3-4 teams in the tournament, along with those African teams. It's a far cry from the 2004 days when they won Euro 2004.

There are much better white teams such as Poland, Ukraine, and Sweden who should've been here instead.

In the playoff, Ukraine got France (whom they should've beaten) and Sweden had Portugal, while Greece got the mighty giants from Romania.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
greece is a good team
well ranked, solid, and who can pass the ball
they also have a lot of fighting spirit, which they showed tonight
that's why i like that team

now they need to beat ivory coast in the next game :pray:

frederic38

Hall of Famer
i agree about sweden though
they should be here and they would get out of most of the groups at the world cup probably
very solid team

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
In 2012 Greece made it to the quarterfinals of the European Championship by unexpectedly beating Russia. There is a very good chance they beat Ivory Coast. Greece and Croatia are two all-white teams (at least for starters) that have their future in their own hands.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
In 2012 Greece made it to the quarterfinals of the European Championship by unexpectedly beating Russia. There is a very good chance they beat Ivory Coast. Greece and Croatia are two all-white teams (at least for starters) that have their future in their own hands.

yes
and about greece's first game (against colombia), as i said back then i expected colombia to win
because colombia will be very hard to beat
they could go as far as the semi finals depending on who they will face

Late to the party,but all in all,yesterday was a great day.....the most 'pro black' team in the world cup is virtually knocked out!:heh:

England for me was the worst team because unlike any other European team,all their black starters were attackers.France,Netherlands,Brazil all have blacks but they're mostly defenders/defensive midfielders.

Many average Soccer fans worldwide involuntarily accept that whites are the best attackers,and it is England who went out of their way to try and dispel that fact.

England moved Rooney,their best player out of position to accommodate Sturridge,a striker who only scored many in the PL because of Suarez.

Rarely do players with just one full season of first team football start for England,but the anti-white coach,Hodgson discarded one of the most creative English players Lallana,to accommodate Sterling.

And worst of all,Hodgson changed England's formation from a 4-3-3 to a very attacking 4-2-3-1 to give Welbeck,a 'striker' whose main strength is to track back,a place in the starting eleven at the expense of Wilshere,one of the world's best young midfielders!

And this is without discussing Milner,who had a great season for the title winners,FFS!

Also,Lambert couldn't get more than a peep despite scoring 13 goals and having 10 assists.

What England deserve is a spanking at the hands of Costa Rica.

Status
Not open for further replies.