2013 European Indoor Track & Field Championships

white lightning

Hall of Famer
When is the Mens 60m final, today (Saturday) or tomorrow (Sunday)?.

The saturday morning session in Sweden starts in around 3 hours. The mens 60 semi finals and finals will both be in the evening
session. So it it probably around 12 hours away if I had to guess. It should be a really close race.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The mens high jump, womens long jump, mens long jump, 800 meter heat and other events have all been very fun to watch. Too many great performances to even mention.

We are about 10 minutes away from the mens 60 meters semifinals. I'm getting pumped up.

Come on Michael Tumi. Let's go Julien Reus and some of the other guys we would like to see make the finals.

It's put up or shut up time. No room for errors. Our guys have to run perfect. The field is stacked but I would be
shocked if Tumi or Reus didn't make the finals.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
The beautiful Darya Klishina won the women's Long Jump.
Honestly, she looks more like a model or movie star than anything else, but in fact she is a tremendous athlete.
Her winning jump is the longest in the world this year!

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Tumi wins his semi in 6.58.
Cimpeanu had a terrible start and never recovered.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Reus runs 6.66 for 4th place in his semi.
He qualifies for the final, but didn't look good. He was out of the blocks first, but was run down midway through the race.
Disappointing!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Klishina is so damn beautiful. She reminds me a little bit of the retired tennis player Anna Kournikova.

Both of our guys made the final and a couple others just missed out. Jimmy Vicaut really just coasted the
last 10 meters or so to save everything for the final. I wish Tumi would have. He didn't need to win the semi
final. Just finish in the top 4 places. I just hope he didn't expend too much energy. Man if you could combine
Reus and his start with Tumi and his finish you would have a 6.45 in the making. Tumi has to work on his start
for the outdoor season and Reus more on his speed endurance.

Still hoping they both medal but I will be a little dissapointed if Micahel Tumi doesn't win it.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't think anyone brought up the stunning performances this morning in the womens 60 heats. It looked more like the finals with the incredible times run. There were 3 women who tied for the european leading 7.12 in the first round! I can't remember ever in my life
seeing such fast times so early on!

Verena Sailer, Ryemenn, Lalova and Tamova all ran faster than ever! Even Dafne Schippers looked incredible. It was all of their personal bests too and they did it
in round one. Damn can these women run. Very impressed but I would just hope they have enough energy left in the tank for two
more rounds of hard sprinting. The womens 60 semi finals and finals are going to be hot! I can't wait.:icon_mrgreen:

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Sergey Mudnov is looking unbelievable in the high jump. Just gliding over 2.35m on his 1st attempt, without even looking like he's trying.
Really impressive!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Maslak looks almost unstoppable in the 400 semi finals. What a shame about Irelands Brian Gregan. What a shame as he would
have easily made the finals. Trenikin looked great too in the other heat along with Strachan.

What a day thus far. As jacknyc said, the mens high jump was awesome too!

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Pavel Maslak of the Czech Republic looking really strong and wins easily in his 400m semi.
Unfortunately Brian Gregan of Ireland, another favorite, got stepped on, and couldn't finish the race. I hope he's not injured.

Pavel Trenikhin also looked very strong in winning his heat.
So the final should be a race between the 2 Pavels.
Richard Strachan of GB also qualified for the final in coming 2nd to Trenikhin. Let's hope for a sweep in the finals. :)

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
So disappointed!
Tumi had the lead for the first 50m, and then turned all the way right to look at Vicaut and Desaolu just move pass him.
He got 3rd in 6.52.
I'm just disappointed because if he had focused on his race, maybe he could have gotten gold or silver.
I hate it when I see bad technique from our sprinters.
Well hopefully he learns something from this.....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well Tumi medaled but not even close to what we hoped for. At least he won the bronze. He ran a very fast time of 6.52 and led the race for around 50 of the 60 meters. I think being in lane 3 hurt him a little because he didn't know that Vicaut and Desaolu were about to pass him several lanes over. He glanced over twice and over strided a little and was overtaken. At least he medaled. I'm still very proud of the kid. I expected Vicaut but where the hell did Desaolu get this ability out of no where in just the last week or two. Kind of weird if you ask me. Reus finished 5 in a time of 6.62 which is a little sad. Not a horrible time but not what I had hoped for.

The italian Greco won the mens triple jump with an incredible leap of 7.70 meters! Wow is that far!

Looking forward to tommorow.

I will say one thing. This summer is going to be special. We have alot of young guns rising up so we should see alot of new personal
bests. I want Lemaitre to get some company in the sub 10 club from some true europeans!

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
As WL mentioned, another notable performance from the championship is a world leading triple jump from Daniele Greco of Italy - 17.70
The announcers said it was 7th longest jump all-time. I'm assuming he meant 'indoors'.

(by the way it was Desaolu of Britain not Biron who beat Tumi. Biron was last)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Your right jacknyc but it's close. I would date either one of them in a second.

I made the change and thanks. I'm tired as I've only had a couple hours of sleep.

By the way, Shane Crawford is entered in the US Indoor Champs. Nice to still see him running
despite the lack of a sponsor.

It seems to me that none of these 60m competitors have a "spring in there step". They all just seem so wooden & stiff, no bounce at all like what you see with a Usain Bolt or a Lewis.

There gonna find it hard posting decent times outdoors.

Thoughts?.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I think the top 3 finishers in the race will all post good times outdoors this season.
I wouldn't be surprised if Vicaut goes sub 10.
But of course they won't be anywhere near Bolt.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Maslak looks almost unstoppable in the 400 semi finals. What a shame about Irelands Brian Gregan. What a shame as he would
have easily made the finals. Trenikin looked great too in the other heat along with Strachan.

Well Pavel Maslak of the Czech Republic won the 400m in a European leading time of 45.66.
Pavel Trenikhin got the bronze, but was later disqualified. From what I read, there was a entanglement of runners, he got stepped on, and then either cut someone off or stepped a foot off the track. I heard Strachan also got cut off from the entanglement.
So 2 of the strong favorites (Tenikhin and Gregan in the semis) got stepped on and lost out.
But very happy that Maslak won.
He is along with the Borlee brothers, the top 400m guys in Europe now.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Adam Kscott won the 800 meters title to become only first guy since 1971 to defend his 800 title at the euro indoors back to back. Kevin Lopez was 2nd. Both of these guys are as good as they good at this distance.

From what I just read, Trenekhin was given back the bronze medal after an investigation that cleared him of any wrong doing. So we took 1st and 3rd in the 400 meters. Pavel Maslak is becoming a household name. I love watching this kid compete. I guess some could say that he
just has that swag about him. That strut, presence, similar to Wariner and he is poised for another great year. I would love to see him medal at the World Champs in Moscow this summer. He has the talent with out a doubt.

The womens 50 semi finals was another scorcher. All of the 5 ladies we like advanced. Ryemen even ran a 7.10 in her heat. We could be
looking at a winning time in the finals close to 7 seconds flat. Hope our girls pull through.

Great long jump so far. Menkov is in the lead but it's early. Menkov has so much talent! He is going to give Rutherford, Watt, Reif and Mayer some great competiion. The long jump looks great from our perspective just like the hurdles.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Naimova on another gold medal. She took the gold and Ryemen who pulled a hamstring at the end took the silver in the same time of 7.10 seconds. Lalova was 4th in 7.12 a new personal best and Schippers also had a new p.b. of 7.14! What a race.Soumare took the bronze medal. In my opinion, Ryemen would have won if she didn't come out of the blocks slow, stumble in her first few steps and also pull a hamstring in the the last 10 meters. Not only would she have won easily but she probably would have ran around 7.05.

The women really put on a better performance than the men did in the sprints as far as the sheer number of european women running faster than they ever had. Outdoors cannot start soon enough. We need to get some of these ladies into the sub 11 second club.

Also wanted to say that Renauld L. of France is just amazing. One of the best pole vaulters I have even seen! Only Sergey Bubka is better. No doubt about it. He dominated the competitions. Two germans took the silver an bronze medals.

Overall a very enjoyable Euro Indoors with my only main complaint being Tumi not winning the gold and Reus missing the medal stand. Overall it was exciting and it just makes me really get pumped even more for the world champs this summer in Moscow!