2011 outdoor season

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The blonde bullet does it again. He one heck of a sprinter for being from such a small country. I wonder how much faster Niit can run?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig Pickering who has been battling injuries again opened up his outdoor season today. He ran a very pedestrian 10.39 with a 0.8 wind. At least he finished the race. I'm still hoping he can return to health and get back to running some fast times. He is still only 25 years of age so he still has some time. Craig has a new coach and hopefully this will be a descent summer for him. I guess it will all depend on if he can stay healthy and get his confidence back.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
jacknyc said:
jacknyc said:
Looks like this will be Van Zyl's best season.

Meanwhile, some good 200m runs -
At the same meet as Van Zyl, Jordan Boase ran 20.60
In Florida Jonathan Borlee ran 20.56
and Marek Niit 20.46 in Arkansas!

Marek Niit ran 20.44 in the heats at the SEC championships today.

Today Marek ran a wind legal 10.29 in the heats of the 100m at the SEC Championships.
It seems he is starting to catch fire.
Both the 100m and 200m finals are tomorrow.
Let's hope he has something left, and let's see what he can do!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The blonde bullet continues to amaze. Way to go Marek Niit. I want to see him finish towards the top tommorow.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Marek Niit's 20.44 in the 200-meters was not only his personal best, it set a new Estonian national record.
smiley32.gif
i'm not sure, but his 10.29 in the semis of the 100-meters might also have set a new national mark.

other White athletic performances of special note in theSEC outdoor Championships:

LSU's junior hurdling phenom Barrett Nugent qualified for the finals with thefastest time in the 110-hurdles, with a slightly windy 13.81.

in the decathlon, Arkansas freshman Kevin Lazas (who i've mentioned in the watch list thread) took second place with a new personal best of 7,703 points. his score set a new Junior American Record.
smiley32.gif

on the women's side, Arkansas juniorTina Sutej vaulted to an NCAA record in the women's pole vault with a clearance of of 15 feet, 1 ½ inches. that height is the best mark in the world in 2011.
smiley32.gif

634161231752317707_sutej_1710_100730_vp.jpg

trackster

Mentor
This just in: Barrett Nugent is a beast. He just won his second consecutive SEC hurdles championship. They are streaming the SEC championships live on ESPN3 (not a lot to look for, though). Nugent knocked down nine of the ten hurdles and even stumbled after the second hurdle, but still ran down the leaders for the win. Amazingly, he doesn't even look like he's in good shape. He looks kind of flabby. He has a lot of margin to bring his time down to Olympic levels if he improves his technique and gets in serious shape. His natural talent must be ridiculous.

trackster

Mentor
Speaking of hurdlers (normally not my interest, but they're making the most waves right now), Andy Turner just beat Bershawn "Batman" Jackson and some other top runners at the 200m street event in Manchester. I have no idea why LeMaitre doesn't try an event like that, which would be perfect for him.

Also on the hurdles front, Liu Xiang beat one of the most roided runners in the history of the sport this weekend, David Oliver. That was at the Shanghai diamond league event.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
jacknyc said:
jacknyc said:
jacknyc said:

Today Marek ran a wind legal 10.29 in the heats of the 100m at the SEC Championships.
It seems he is starting to catch fire.
Both the 100m and 200m finals are tomorrow.
Let's hope he has something left, and let's see what he can do!

Marek ran a 10.17 in the finals, but wind aided.
Hopefully he's ready for a great 200m later today.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
10.18!!! from Shane Crawford to win the Big 10!

Finally, 4 yrs after his promising HS career, he comes through!
I'm stoked!

mattharper

Guru
Hey White Lightning. WHat approximate time would Nugent have run if he had a 2.0 tailwind instead of the -2.2 headwind when he ran his 13..58 ? Thanks.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
jacknyc said:
jacknyc said:

Marek wins the SEC 200m in 20.44!!!
That's 2 white sprint winners - Marek and Barrett Nugent - in the SEC Championships!!!!
Edited by: jacknyc

oxnardlocal

Jamison was the number one qualifier at the Big West league finals with times of 10.53 and 21.37. <div></div><div>Unfortunately the next day he didn't run as fast with 10.62 (placed 2nd) in the 100 and 21.41 (placed 3rd) in the 200.</div>

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Some great domestic times/wins this weekend -
Shane Crawford 10.18 100m wins the Big 10
Marek Niit 20.44 200m wins the SEC; 10.17w in the 100m
Barrett Nugent 13.61w wins the 110m hurdles SEC Championships.

Internationally -
Andy Turner wins the Manchester Street Race 110m hurdles in 13.41 and the 200m hurdles in 22.12w.
Also Liu Xiang with a big win in 13.09 in Shanghai over 'body builder' David Oliver.
Good to see Xiang back in a big way.

For a change, the 400m was the weak event. No exciting news there, and Wariner DNF due to injury.
Hopefully it's not serious.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Don't forget Richard Kilty ran 3 races in Manchester. He won 2 of the 3. Richard ran a 15.32 in the 150 meters. That is a very nice time. I expect some more personal bests from Kilty this year. He is healthy and still only 21 years of age!

trackster

Mentor
I must admit that I'm stunned by Shane Crawford's time. I didn't think he could reach that level. Makes me wish that Connaughton would race again soon, because he was off to a monster start a few weeks ago.

Anyway, the 400 was indeed weak this weekend (other than Wariner, Gehret sat out the Big Tens, which makes me fear an injury, and Braddy ran waay slower than he has all year; I have to wonder if he's under the weather).

But let's not forget one of my favorite events, indeed an event I like so much that I'm about to start a new thread for it...

mastermulti

Master
that makes .............
Shane Crawford ahead of Christophe Lemaitre on the 2011 world list.

Good for him! enjoy it while you can buddy coz Christophe's coming to get ya LOL.

10.18 legal is certainly international class and a fabulous run.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A stacked field is right. That might be an understatement. Haha. I will predict a upset here. I say Galen Rupp gets it done and beats everyone!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
My girl is back. One of my favorite sprinters ran her fastest time in years yesterday. Way to go Ivet Lalova. Like the song. She's a beauty. One in a million girl.

European season lead for Lolova

In Izmir, Bulgarian Ivet Lalova registered a European leading time of 11.08 (+1.5) during the first round of Turkish Super League Clubs competition.

trackster

Mentor
Coming up this Thursday: the Diamond League meet in Rome. Not a lot of guys to pull for (I hate these diamond league lineups; they are 90% Kenyan and Jamaican), but a few:

LeMaitre in the 100, obviously.
J. Borlee and Rooney in the 400.
Hession in the 200, although I suspect he's overmatched, as is Pessonneaux
Van Zyl to kick ass in the 400 hurdles unless something goes terribly wrong

white is right

Hall of Famer
Hahaha I recall about 15 years ago Playboy doing an expose on a middle distance female collegiate athlete because she lost her scholarship for dancing at a topless bar. Similar body to Lalova. By the way does she wax...
smiley2.gif
Edited by: white is right