2010 Outdoor Track Season

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree. Both of these guys are physical specimens. They have the talent and desire to go very far. I was so pumped up about Allan Webb around a decade ago and he just never could stay healthy. He also lacked that killer instinct. These guys look like the real deal.

trackster

Mentor
Wheating is now the 4th fastest American 1500 runner of all time, having just run the 6th fastest time. He needs to improve by just over a second to take the American record back from "American" Lagat. And he's only 22.

400--indeed, it was the wrong Borlee. Kevin's just no Jonathan. Slowest sprint reaction in history, too (.33)

Swede

Ryan Gregson was´nt to bad either. 3.31,06 at 20 years of age.

trackster

Mentor
Wariner won the 400 today in London. Didn't look like the Wariner of old, but he's still too good for the rest of the field. On the downside, Gillick, K. Borlee, and Rooney all embarrassed themselves, finishing 5,6,7 with downright awful times.

In the mile, young Ryan Gregson continued to show his potential with a personal best 3:52. He remains, with Wheating, a mid-distance runner to keep an eye on.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update trackster. Wariner has dominated the 400 all year. It's not a championship year for him so most of the guys are not in their peak shape. The point is that he won the Diamond League Series and the money as the best 400 guy in the world. I still think he has some sub 44 races in him for 2011 and 2012. After that, he will probably be too old unless he takes the magic pills like MJ. then he can set world records in his thirties. Lol.

Gregson and Wheating have me very excited about watching the 800 and 1500 again. I hope they inspire as many youngsters as Lemaitre does.

white is right

Hall of Famer
trackster said:
Wheating and Gregson!I tell you guys, there's more going on with our young mid-distance hopefuls than with our sprinter (singular, not plural, as LeMaitre is clearly all by himself without any help now that Guliyev and Pickering have totally crapped out).   A few minutes ago, the young Aussie Ryan Gregson (he's either 19 or 20) and American Andrew Wheating (just graduated Oregon) ran in a mega-fast world class field of 1500 runners.  Not only were there pb's far slower than anyone else's in the race, but the race was also paced to be extremely fast.  Nevertheless, the two boys hung in and finished fourth and fifth in superb times (I believe Wheating hit 3:30 and Gregson 3:31), ahead of scads of Kenyans and "Americans" like Lagat.   No, they're not ready to win Olympic gold yet, but they are learning what it takes to run with the best.  Just like LeMaitre.  Learn to enjoy the mid-distances guys!  The races are longer and more interesting anyway.
The Euro 400 guys probably were flat from peaking for the Euro championships. Edited by: white is right

mastermulti

Master
Here's an article on the Borlee twins about the Euro 400 final.
Fascinating to see their dad's opinion that although Jonathon is usually faster it is Kevin who has "the bigger engine" and does better in rounds.We would certainly expect his opinion to be unbiased.

(meanwhile I still dream of coaching Olivia sighhh!)

article

trackster

Mentor
Zurich report:

Two pieces of excellent news:
1) Jeremy Wariner ran an excellent time in the 400. I haven't seen it yet, but word is he was pulling up at the end or would have dipped into the 43s.
2) Chris Solinsky's awesome season continued. 12:56 in the 5000. Once again, he's just a hair's breadth from breaking the American record. Finished third in a world class field.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Jared Connaugton took 2nd in the mens 100 running 10.39 -1.0 wind. Not bad but he will have to improve going into next year. Canada Athletics needs to step it up. Hope JayConn and LeBlanc can train together and push each other to new heights.

Chris Solinsky is the man. What a epic performance. US Distance Running is getting me pumped up heading into the World Championships next year. We have many potential medalists! Wariner like I said is still the best 400 meters sprinter in the world. He has proven every year except for last year when he was the 2nd best to now suspended drug cheat L. Merritt. Wariner will go sub 44 again next year like I said. He still can break the world record but he has to stay healthy and get into peak shape for 2011 and 2012. Trust me. Coach Hart will have him in the shape of his life. Here are the results from his win today. What a perfomance! Way to go Wariner!

400 Metres - Men
Pts
1 Wariner , Jeremy USA 44.13 8
2 Gonzales , Jermaine JAM 44.51 4
3 Taylor , Angelo USA 44.72 2
4 Chambers , Ricardo JAM 44.96
5 Borlee , Jonathan BEL 45.23
6 Rooney , Martyn GBR 45.67
7 Bingham , Michael GBR 46.00
8 Gillick , David IRL 46.05Edited by: white lightning

trackster

Mentor
Here's a high quality video of Wariner's easy world leading time yesterday:

http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=f47b966e-2663-4fb5-9cd9-6ada05352462.html#wariner+runs+wl+zurich+400m

Here's a short, edited version of Solinsky's brilliant run. Only about a minute of the 13 minute race--wish we had the whole thing--but you still get some sense of how exciting the ending must have been. Solinsky, driven by nothing but the desire to do well, duels it out with the world's best 5000m runner, who has to stay ahead of Chris just to secure his Diamond League title and make an additional 40,000 dollars.

http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=f27ae967-b2cc-419b-9c61-4866d6c2aed7.html#bekele+wins+5000m+merga+gets+diamond+solinsky+brilliant

Man, I wish the season went on long enough for Solinsky to break the American record. He's the LeMaitre of distance!

Observer

Mentor
Very nice run by Wariner. Nice to watch the actual running, as well as a nice re-breakthrough for Wariner. A fast time near the end-of-season.

Solinsky is great. If they had some mixed-mode event where they first raced, and then had hand-to-hand combat at the end... well, he could probably take two or three of his opponents at once!

trackster, thanks for the videos.

trackster

Mentor
And sexy Sally Pearson took the women's 100h.

See, I finally noticed a hurdles race!

trackster

Mentor
The Injury Boys are coming back.

In Milan today, Nick Willis (New Zealand, an Olympic silver medalist) won the 1500 in 3:35 and Allan Webb (US record holder) finished sixth at 3:36. Certainly not the best work these two gentleman are capable of, but every day it seems they are getting closer and closer to being healthy. We need all the Kenyan beaters we can get. Webb, in particular, has the tantalizing potential to be the best in the world.

Hopefully, next year someone emerges from Willis, Webb, Wheating, and Gregson to teach the Kenyans what it's like to finish second again.