2009 NBA Playoffs

guest301

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
from Howard's tweeter:

6:00 dwighthoward: did yalllllllll seeeeeeee thatttttttt
6:01 dwighthoward: with the left. yeaaaaa polish hammer

he was talking JJ and Gortat up on his live blog.

Dwight Howard seems like a decent and fun guy to be around. I know he is a devout Christian and is still pretty much a kid in a man's body. He's sort of the fun version of Shaq without all the nastiness and petty squabbling that Shaq has engaged in over the years. I know he just got suspended for throwing a elbow but heck even nice guy Dirk Nowitzki got suspended earlier this year for doing something similar.

guest301 said:
That was a thrilling game 6 last night between the Celtics and Bulls. It was very nice to see both Miller and Hinrich on the floor throughout the 4th quarter and three overtime periods. The Bulls could not have won without them.
Although it sucks that Hinrich doesn't start, I love how he plays coming off the bench, where he doesn't have to worry about pacing himself. He'll probably be a starter next year when Gordon leaves. Really, the guy is a borderline All-Star and should be getting more PT. I think he'll start at the two next year and play PG when Rose is on the bench.

j41181

Master
backrow said:
from Howard's tweeter:

6:00 dwighthoward: did yalllllllll seeeeeeee thatttttttt
6:01 dwighthoward: with the left. yeaaaaa polish hammer

he was talking JJ and Gortat up on his live blog.
Dwight Howard is a great person, he's fun, good natured, and seems to be one of the few class acts of the NBA (like Nowitzki, Duncan, Nash, to name a few). I just wish he's not too involved in things like rap. But he's definitely a devoted Christian, and that's one aspect of him I really like.

I also like it that he holds great respect for guys like Marcin Gortat, J.J. Redick, and Hedo Turkoglu on his team. But overall, he's a nice guy. A big thumbs up for Dwight Howard!
smiley20.gif
Edited by: j41181

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Dwight Howard is a guy I certainly respect too. He is a stand-up Christian and is a good team player
smiley32.gif
. Two thumbs up to him. Just wish the legue had more like him. Maybe the league will promote him more than the thug-like characters it has. But he is definitely a good player and a good example to the youth as far as his behavior and teamsmanship and work ethic.Edited by: BeyondFedUp

guest301

Hall of Famer
Good to see that others around here share the same high regard for Howard that I do. Another good guy is Michael Finley who was a star on the Mavericks for several years and it's best player but gladly took up #3 status when Dirk and Nash arrived without so much as a whimper or complaint. Class guy and I am glad he got his ring with the Spurs.Edited by: guest301

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I like how Howard has high regard for his backup Marcin Gortat. I think Howard realizes Gortat would start at Center on almost any other team in the league. The best advantage Howard has over basically any 7 footer is that incredibly- he is the third fastest man on the Magic behind C. Lee and Pietrus. Howard is faster than all the other guards ie. Alston, Nelson, Redick, A. Johnson etc. etc.

Gortat would give Howard a good run for his money for who has a quicker first few steps, agility and leaping ability though. Gortat has really figured out the NBA game this year! Maybe we'll be able to see these freakishly athletic twin towers start together sometime soon in Orlando! Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here are my thoughts on the 2 games today.

Atlanta-Miami: Very glad the Heat lost. Chris Quinn should "at least" be the 6th or 7th man, but barely plays at all. Quinn is just as good a defender as Chalmers IMO. Quinn is athletic with a 37 inch vertical and he's better at creating easy chances for his teammates than Chalmers IMO. The one area Chalmers has an advantage is probably scoring efficiency- but that one's very close. The lack of minutes for Quinn is absolute BS and I believe he should still even be a starter. This is especially since Chalmers is only a rookie and hasn't outplayed Quinn's level of play from last year overall. Quinn came in in garbage time and made some quick plays cutting into the lead, but it was way too little too late.

Dallas-Denver: Kenyon Martin and a couple other players got away with clear hacks of Dirk. I saw at least 3 times where a Denver defender pushed Dirk in the back or hit his arm when he shot the ball, but no foul was called. There were also at least a few times also, where Dirk was clearly pushed before he shot or when he was just running without the ball trying to get open. Although the officiating was bad I still think Denver would have probably won b/c Birdman especially, but the entire Denver bench really-was just so incredible. Birdman is a block machine. Birdman rebounds, plays good one on one defense, makes great passes to teammates for open looks and even scored some this game which is the only area that isn't a strength. Also, I must say that Jason Kidd played pretty bad. Although he had 15 points on 10 shots- he had 8 turnovers compared to just 4 assists. Kidd did have 4 steals though, but overall didn't run the team well. I hope to see Barea more in game 2. Barea is a good passer and should really have shot more than he did in game 1. Barea only had 4 points on 4 shots and played only 23 minutes. Barea needs 30 minutes IMO. I hope Dallas comes back strong in game 2 and a different officiating crew is calling the game. The officials were bad this game-they allowed Denver to play with street ball type rules.

green fire317

Banned
birdman never gets the credit he deserves. he could easily be a starter in the nba. i can remember a few times when some caste announcers openly made fun of him on television.

I'm rooting hard for Dirk because he's the best white player, but if it had to be anybody who beat him this year, I don't mind that it's Billups. I watched how he orchestrated the Pistons offense with absolute efficiency, held that team together (who would have revolted against Flip Saunders if not for him) and is now showing the world what a fraud of superstar Allen Iverson is. Taking all the selfish thugs on Denver and transforming them into the 2003-2005 Pistons has struck another blow for unselfish team basketball. He also was the first Piston to complain in the media that Darko wasn't getting enough playing time and when Darko had his license suspended, Billups drove him to and from practice and the games, which he obviously didn't need to do.

Considering what a great home team Dallas is, and the fact that I think the Nuggets will implode at some point, they still have a good shot to win it. Would be great seeing Dirk in another WCF, especially since the odds were stacked against him this year.

j41181

Master
I guess I was 100% wrong about Billups. I see he's a great and professional guy, a true winner. It seems to me Darko is just one unlucky fellow.

Billups has nothing to to with Okur leaving Detroit, that blame fully goes to Larry Brown, the king of Caste-loving coaches.

Billups is actually one of the most professional and underrated players of this decade. Another class act of the NBA, which is very rare these days. He's really a great fellow on and off the court. A great teammate. I wish Dirk had a teammate like him.
smiley9.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I turned on the Celtics-Magic game one around the mid 2nd quarter. Redick was hit with one atrocious call and one "VERY" questionable call by the refs- just trying to play tough D.

On the VERY questionable call- it looked to me as though Redick had slid over and gotten his feet set enough-just barely- with his hands basically straight up when Rondo drove real hard into him. However, a defensive foul was called. I like the college offensive foul rule better- this play looked to lean toward an offensive foul for the NBA, but was definitely one with NCAA rules.

On the atrocious call (pretty sure it was while guarding Rondo again) Redick hit all ball with his hands when Rondo was leaping to the basket attempting a layup. Redick had backpedaled into a crowd below the basket guarding Rondo exploding toward the rim. This was a tough and spectacular defensive play by Redick, but somehow another defensive foul was called.

J.J has worked hard and become a real solid defender (despite being a 6'4 SG- with shorter than average arms). However, with the outright hate by these pro star, pro black refs- who appease the home crowds- how the hell is he supposed to get his confidence to play any tough D? The NBA needs to hire new refs. The officiating is often atrocious, especially against whites just trying to play legal defense.
smiley7.gif

j41181

Master
Great game by JJ Redick, though!

To display this type of performance against the defending champions, on their turf, is just brilliant. If he keeps this up, and helps Orlando eliminated Boston, he is up for a big-time promotion. It will even be sweeter if he helps Orlando make the NBA finals. Here, to Redick's amazing breakthrough!
smiley32.gif

j41181

Master
Yao Ming is one player I have to give my hat off to, he is just phenomenal for a player his size (7'6). He is remarkably athletic and coordinated for a player his size. Shawn Bradley (7'6), frankly, is a big disgrace, compared to a player like Yao Ming.

Yao is just playing phenomenal basketball. Imagine a 7'6 fellow being the best FT shooter of the team, not everyday that happens. Rik Smits was a very good player for his size too (7'4). But, I'm afraid Yao has surpassed everything Smits ever was. So right now, Yao is leading a very formidable Rockets in a potential upset on the Lakers.

Pau Gasol had better raise his game to another level if he really wants to get an NBA ring. Pau is playing kind of scared on Yao. It really is hard to guard a 7'6 monster who has a 20-foot jumpshot, while unstoppable down low. Even a prime Arvydas Sabonis (7'3) would have difficulty against this Yao Ming.

Arthur Volbert must be smiling right now!
My hats off to the GREAT WALL of China!
smiley32.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I agree, Yao is THE BEST Center in the west right now. Howard is the best in the east. I think Bill Walton would be considered better than Yao, if he hadn't gotten injured so much though. Walton had AMAZING finesse.

I WOULD like to see a handful more Oriental players in the NBA. However, the problem is if they all do decent, there could develop a full out frenzy for them over in a country like China and the NBA may start an AA type drafting policy for Chinese players to grow the Chinese fan base. Then we might see LESS talented players playing.
smiley5.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
j41181 said:
Great game by JJ Redick, though!

To display this type of performance against the defending champions, on their turf, is just brilliant. If he keeps this up, and helps Orlando eliminated Boston, he is up for a big-time promotion. It will even be sweeter if he helps Orlando make the NBA finals. Here, to Redick's amazing breakthrough!
smiley32.gif

He outscored and out played the great Ray Allen last night which Reggie Miller pointed out.

j41181 said:
Yao Ming is one player I have to give my hat off to, he is just phenomenal for a player his size (7'6). He is remarkably athletic and coordinated for a player his size. Shawn Bradley (7'6), frankly, is a big disgrace, compared to a player like Yao Ming.

Yao is just playing phenomenal basketball. Imagine a 7'6 fellow being the best FT shooter of the team, not everyday that happens. Rik Smits was a very good player for his size too (7'4). But, I'm afraid Yao has surpassed everything Smits ever was. So right now, Yao is leading a very formidable Rockets in a potential upset on the Lakers.

Pau Gasol had better raise his game to another level if he really wants to get an NBA ring. Pau is playing kind of scared on Yao. It really is hard to guard a 7'6 monster who has a 20-foot jumpshot, while unstoppable down low. Even a prime Arvydas Sabonis (7'3) would have difficulty against this Yao Ming.

Arthur Volbert must be smiling right now!
My hats off to the GREAT WALL of China!
smiley32.gif
I think Sabonis in his prime would get the best of Yao, but that's hard to say. What a tragedy NBA fans never got to see him anywhere near his prime.

The one thing I really respect about Yao is his mental toughness. He has 1 billion Chinese on his shoulders and it never fazed him. I think his first major game on national TV was against Shaq and all the DWF and black supremacists were foaming at the mouth to see Shaq eat him alive. First play of the game Shaq scored on yao, then Yao came right back and scored on him. I think they scored the first 6 buckets and I thought, wow, this Yao guy is bringing it on his biggest stage yet, against his biggest challenge yet.

I also consider Asian players "caste busters," so I'm inclined to root for them, especially when the defy the stereotypes, such as Matsui and Yao.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I root for Asian & Mestizo NBA players closely behind whites. Should be at least a few more in the NFL too. Agreed- they're "caste busters" at present moment in those sports.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Except for the oriental features around his eyes, Yao pretty much looks like a big white dude. He had a great game last night and his English speaking skills seems to be improving alot.

Blue Devils

Mentor
NBA Admits Costly Error

DALLAS (AP)â€â€￾The NBA admitted officials were wrong when they didn't call an intentional foul the Dallas Mavericks were trying to commit before Denver's Carmelo Anthony(notes) made a game-winning 3-pointer Saturday.

Dallas had a two-point lead and a foul to give when Denver inbounded the ball with less than 8 seconds left. Antoine Wright(notes) was clearly trying to foul Anthony, and bumped him twice.

But the whistle never blew and Anthony swished a 3-pointer from in front of the Dallas bench with a second left that gave the Nuggets a 106-105 victory and a 3-0 series lead.

"At the end of the Dallas-Denver game this evening, the officials missed an intentional foul committed by Antoine Wright on Carmelo Anthony, just prior to Anthony's three-point basket," Joel Litvin, NBA president of league and basketball operations, said in a statement issued by the league about two hours after the game.

"It's a shame the game had to come down to this, but that's the way it goes in the NBA sometimes," Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said in an e-mail to The Associated Press after the league's statement.

Cuban was visibly upset on the court after the game, but had declined comment while standing just outside the Mavericks' locker room.

In the aftermath of the scandal involving former referee Tim Donaghy, the NBA has begun publicly acknowledging certain officiating mistakes.

Donaghy is serving a prison sentence for betting on games he officiated and taking cash payments from gambling associates for information to help them with bets.

A day after Game 4 of the Western Conference finals last year, the NBA said a foul should have been called against Derek Fisher(notes) of the Los Angeles Lakers on the final possession. That could have given San Antonio a chance to win the game and get even in the series.

Fisher jumped and came down on Brent Barry(notes) in the final seconds of a two-point game. No foul was called and Barry missed badly on a 3-pointer as time expired.

Mark Wunderlich, one of the three officials for that game last year, was part of the crew for the Denver-Dallas game Saturday night and was the one closest to Wright and Anthony.

"I'm almost as disappointed for Mark as I am for us. ... It's a call he makes 100 percent of the time," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said after Saturday's game.

Added Wright: "I was positive a whistle was coming, just like everybody else was positive the whistle was coming. I made a play on the ball like I was told in the huddle, and the call wasn't made. ... I'm upset like everyone else in this locker room, and I feel like we have a right to be upset."

j41181

Master
Dallas lives for another day, thanks to Dirk's magnificent 44 points and 13 rebounds. Josh Howard also deserves a round of applause, he had 21 points and 11. He did all that on two bad ankles. Dallas though will need to find better teammates for Dirk next year, if they really want a shot at NBA glory again. Otherwise, they should trade Dirk to a real championship contender.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I hope Dallas can get Steve Nash to come back to Dallas for the end of his career. Nash could replace Jason Kidd- who is even older than Nash.

Barea, Terry and Howard also played well in game 4 and will need a repeat performance in game 5. We know Dirk is going to bring it on Wednesday!

guest301

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I hope Dallas can get Steve Nash to come back to Dallas for the end of his career. Nash could replace Jason Kidd- who is even older than Nash.

Barea, Terry and Howard also played well in game 4 and will need a repeat performance in game 5. We know Dirk is going to bring it on Wednesday!

Terry got on alot of foul trouble last night and picked up five fouls in the third period. He needs to stay out of foul trouble in Game 5 and supplement Dirk's typical 30 points with about 25 or so of his own to win on the road and bring it back to Dallas.