2009 FCS Playoffs

qj

Guru
celticdb15 said:
From what I saw of Villanova I do not think they can hang with the Grizz. If Montana is anywhere near as physical as they were last night they should win a National Championship! The cool thing about Montana is that a lot of their guys are home grown mountain boys. Guys other teams ignore and who D1 programs saycan't play at their level, are magically good enough to be the best FCS team? Montana is quickly moving up as one of my favorite teams.

Nice points, celticdb, and thanks for the info on Villanova. Montana has a very big, talented O-line and a couple of the lineman have been said to be pro prospects. The fact that they beat the Mountaineers without much of a passing game and not fully utilizing their running game bodes well for them against Villanova. The boys on the UM team are mostly locals, either from Montana or the Northwest. They also truly represent the Northwest and Montana. This obviously means the team is mostly white. If you look at some of their best players like Mariani, Reynolds and Selle, they are locals. Reynolds use to play 8 man football in High School. This means he was from some very rural area of Montana. Against the coal black App State defense, he ran wild. Yeah, the Montana boys can play, and the UM is full of them. That's really why they are considered the number 1 college team in Montana. Carroll is #2. In contrast, Montana State relies heavily on imports. Finally, another nice thing about the Griz is that you can watch most of their games for free on the web. Next season, just go to the UM website and follow the links.

</span><a href="pm_buddy_list.asp?name=celticdb15" target="_blank">
</a><div id="proMenu157551" ="dropDownMenu">
</div>

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you have to love the Snow Plow for Montana!they personify the germanic warrior.
smiley32.gif

levihorn.jpg
Left tackle Levi Horn (6-7, 315)
jonopperud.jpg
Left guard Jon Opperud (6-7, 305)
alexverlanic.jpg
Center Alex Verlanic (6-2, 282)
terranhillesland.jpg
Right guard Terran Hillesland (6-7, 320)
chrisdyk.jpg
Right tackle Chris Dyk (6-8, 297)

they make things possible for tailback Chase Reynolds and wide receiver Marc Mariani. Mariani, a senior,was a first-team All-American. Reynolds, a junior, already has his name written all over the Grizzlies record book

chasereynolds.jpg
Chase Reynolds
marcmariani-1.jpg
Marc Mariani

for Montana, Mariani and Reynolds are tearing off HUGE chunks of yardage already ... and it's just the first quarter. for Villanova, speedster Matt Szczur is also showing his stuff, too.
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
on back-to-back plays, Villanova's quarterback Chris Whitneyde-cleated Montana's 6-3, 200-pound negro cornerback ... once on a scramble, another while lined up as a wide receiver in the wildcat formation when he threw a block for the streaking Matt Szczur.
smiley4.gif
smiley32.gif

needless to say, bothresulted inbig plays for 'Nova, and they're now threatening to score again.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
this is the first time i've ever seen Matt Szczur play (pronounced like Julius Ceasar) ... and he is AWESOME!

he runs with patience, with power, and with SPEED. wow. he is impressive. Hail Szczur!

sadly, the announcers have stated that even though he is a junior, Szczurmay be finished with football after this game. why? he's supposedly going to be a first-round draft pick in the next MLB Draft.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
wow. what an exciting game!

Villanova's running game completely dominated in the second half, and that proved to be the difference in a nail-biting 23-21 win.

both teams played great football, but Szczur ruled the day and was named National ChampionshipMVP.

hetotalled14 carries for 159 yards and2 touchdowns, 4 catches for 68 yards receiving, and a bunch more yards in the return game. congratulations to 'Nova and Matt Szczur.
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
on the Sportscenter following the game, the two idiot negrophile announcers made fun of Matt Szczur running the ball and the graphic they posted showed him rushing for only 59 yards ... pathetic.
smiley42.gif

TwentyTwo

Master
The versitileSzczur looks like the real-deal to me...he's got to be a legit 4.4....I dare the powers-that-be of the NFL Combineto use the excuse he's too small at 5'-11" 195....that's the same size as CJ Spiller..who some DWF's is better than Gerhart...or will they play the card that Szczur goes to a small school....well so did Brian Westbrook same school(Villanova) who he draws some comparison to. Just hope he gets to legit shot of displaying his skills and won't be cast off to the CFL or UFL.

Naturally he's a baseball prospect like Gerhart, Locker, Decker, Cooper, etc...

Szczur is also aspecial person...suppose to be donating some bone-marrow on Jan 4thto a one year-old girl who has lukemia.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
That was a really fun game to watch last night. Matt Szczur really showed his NFL-caliber running and receiving skills again. Hopefully, he doesn't go the way of another supremely talented WR with an alphabet soup name, Jeff Samardzija, and choose baseball over football.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I wanted Montana to win.. But if they had to lose to any team I would prefer they lost to Villanova. I didn't see the game last night, I thought it was on today. I'll tryand look for some highlights

dwid

Hall of Famer
If you have ESPN360 you can watch it at any time. Some isps dont provide it though, but you should still check. I didn't think mine had it until half way through this season, but it turns out I did (nothing that I had to pay extra for that I am aware of). It has plenty of good games you can watch.

qj

Guru
Great game last night. 'Nova proved to be the better team. In the 2nd half, they ran all over my Griz. Hat's off to Szczur and the rest of the 'Nova team, a real class act. My Griz played hard and made the game interesting at the end, but they simply could not stop Szczur and the 'Nova running attack. Szczur was obviously the best player out there and looked even better than Armanti Edwards last week. Yet, I did not hear one commenter indicate Szczur would have a chance to make an NFL team. Last week, the commentators gushed over Armanti and affirmed he could play at the next level. Given Szczur's utter dominance on the field, I find it interesting the talking heads did not discuss Szczur's chances of making an NFL team. Maybe I just did not hear it or maybe the thought never crossed the mind of the broadcasters because he happens to play white. Frankly, I hope he gets a big fat baseball contract with a million dollar signing bonus and goes into pro baseball where he'll get a much better chance to shine. If he tries to make it in the NFL, he'll be another PS dummy or special teams guy.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Sadly qj you may be right
smiley5.gif