2008 Tennessee Volunteers

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected white starters for Fulmer's team in 08' Same number as last year, which was up one from 2006.

Offense

QB Jonathan Crompton

WR Austin Rogers

TE Jeff Cottam

C Josh McNeil

Defense

DE Wes Brown

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow
smiley5.gif
Pretty typical of most of the Caste media when describing a white player. Hopefully Wes will dominate this year.

whiteCB

Master
Man the double standard in this country is atrocious. Imagine the uproar there would be if an article on one of the only black starters for Air Force was entitled "He's Smarter Than he Looks". Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, and the gang would be stomping and protesting on Air Force's campus before the blink of an eye.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8578798/Fulmer-won't-give -deposition-for-recruiting-scandal?FSO2&ATT=MA

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer will not have to give a deposition in a lawsuit involving a former Alabama booster next week, according to a court order.

Fulmer was issued a subpoena on July 24 during the Southeastern Conference's media day to give testimony for Wendell Smith's lawsuit against the NCAA stemming from a decade-old Alabama recruiting scandal.

Fulmer was ordered to give a deposition on Sept. 25, two days before the Vols play at Auburn, but attorneys for Fulmer and Smith agreed that he would not be required to testify then.

"It certainly won't be given next week," said Fulmer's attorney, Jeff Hagood. "We have filed a motion to quash any deposition."

Smith's attorneys must ask that the court hold a hearing on that motion in Jackson County, Ala., Circuit Court if they want Fulmer to eventually give a deposition.

Smith sued the NCAA in 2003, alleging defamation and invasion of privacy that hurt his reputation and his career.

The NCAA placed Alabama on probation in February 2001 for recruiting violations, including allegations that Smith, a Chattanooga businessman, provided $20,000, lodging and entertainment as an inducement to prospect Kenny Smith. The Smiths are not related.

Fulmer and some of his staff spoke with an NCAA investigator in 2000 about various Alabama recruits and the belief that some boosters were buying top recruits.

His interviews were supposed to remain secret but became exposed when the NCAA handed over documents in a court case against another Crimson Tide booster, Logan Young.

Today, Tennessee lost to Alabama 29-9. UT is now 3-5 for the season and 1-4 in the SEC. Losing to Florida, Georgia, and Alabama doesn't help Fullmer's job security. There might be worse losses to come.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Fulmer defends himself from criticism about his coaching.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3669855

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Phillip Fulmer spent a lot of time Tuesday defending himself and dismissing speculation about his job security.

Fulmer said at Tennessee's weekly media day that most of the talk about his job being on the line has been "misinformation," though he said he doesn't bother paying attention to much of it.

"In the short term here, it's not where anybody wants it to be, starting with me," he said. "I'm just going to go to work and do the very, very best that I can for the Tennessee people, the Tennessee family, the administration and whoever."

The Volunteers (3-5, 1-4 Southeastern Conference) haven't beaten a ranked opponent this season and took an early exit from the race for the SEC East title. Every remaining game, starting with South Carolina on Saturday night, is a must-win if the Vols want a shot at playing in a bowl.

"We're in the age of instant gratification and what have you done lately. I understand that," Fulmer said. "Hopefully we can give everyone good encouragement about winning and what we're going to do in the future, with how we play."

Fulmer said there were some things he would have done differently had he been able to foresee the results, but he refused to say specifically what those things were.

The 17-year veteran defended his career and did so without any mention of his 1998 national championship or two SEC championships. He said he's run a clean program, tried to develop academic and life skills within his players and won 75 percent of his games as a coach.

He said he hopes that by rounding up a strong recruiting class and overcoming problems with changing offensive systems and quarterbacks, he's giving fans something to look forward to.

Tennessee has a 2009 recruiting class currently ranked No. 7 nationally by Rivals.com and No. 10 by Scout.com.

"If we can hang on to all those guys and add to it a little bit, I think there's a lot of reason for optimism," he said.

Defensive coordinator John Chavis is a former Tennessee player, like Fulmer. They've been coaching at Tennessee together since 1989, when Fulmer was offensive coordinator.

"Certainly, I look at a man that has won 150 ballgames and done some things at this university that haven't been done before and done it with class," Chavis said.

"I'm not going to deal with the speculation. Whatever happens, happens. I'm getting paid well to do what I'm doing, and I'm going to go out and bust my rear end to do everything I can to help this team and help coach Fulmer be successful," he said.

Fulmer said he believes he has earnest support from the Tennessee athletic administration and others within the program.

He also said most fans probably don't understand just how much he has invested in Tennessee after 35 years with the program as a player, assistant and head coach.

"They probably can't," he said. "In the big picture of things, should they? This program is much bigger than me or anybody. Nobody wants the best for it more than I do."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Phil Fulmer to leave UT at the end of the 2008 season.

fulmer1971.jpg

Fulmer as a Senior in 1971
<H1>Fulmer reportedly out after this season</H1>
By BETH RUCKER - 10 hours ago

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) â€â€￾ Phillip Fulmer will not be returning for an 18th season with Tennessee, according to multiple reports Monday.

ESPN.com cited multiple sources that Fulmer, 58, met with Tennessee officials Monday morning where they agreed it would be best if the coach did not stay on the job after this season. The report says an announcement will be made later Monday. The Tennessean also reported Fulmer would announce he would step down.

Athletic director Mike Hamilton and other Tennessee officials did not immediately return voicemails left by The Associated Press. Fulmer did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone. Neither did Fulmer's agent, Jimmy Sexton, immediately return a page left on his cell phone nor the coach's attorney, Jeff Hagood, return a message left at his office.

Athletic department officials familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that an announcement was being readied for late afternoon. The official declined to be quoted by name because nothing official has been announced and also would not discuss what the announcement would be.

The Vols fell to 3-6, 1-5 in the Southeastern Conference after winning the league's Eastern Division title last season after a 27-6 loss at South Carolina on Saturday night.

"Anybody that likes Tennessee and cares about what the product looks like on the field is frustrated," Fulmer said Sunday.

Fulmer currently has a record of 150-51 all-time in 17 years, which includes 1992 in which he coached three games in place of then-head coach Johnny Majors while he had heart surgery. Majors was ousted after he returned following a loss at South Carolina but finished the regular season.

Tennessee officially named Fulmer head coach on Nov. 29, 1992, and he led the Vols to the 1998 national championship â€â€￾ the school's first since 1951.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Black OL commit, Antonio Foster, decommits from UT in favor of Georgia Tech.

It's hard to comprehend how a former lineman like Fulmer could execute such wholesale discrimination against capable White linemen. It's scandalous.

It sometimes suggested on this site that the Caste media can steer coaches in a blacker and blacker direction. I largely don't buy that. When I looked at UT's recruiting class a month ago, all their QB commits were White. Couldn't the Caste media whine about UT being black everywhere (including the O-line), but "lily White" at QB? Wouldn't the few miniscule pockets of "Whiteness" stand out?

I loathe Fulmer, and their may be beauty in how he dug his own grave.

If I was a stud White QB, I wouldn't choose Tennessee as I wouldn't want to be placed behind that sumo line. Some of our athletes mustn't be so naive and jeopardize their future like that.

Fulmer chose his own path (not CBS, NBC, ESPN, Rivals or Scout).

Tennessee beat Vanderbilt 20-10 today without much offense to go 4-7 with Kentucky still to play. This has been probably the worst season in Tennessee football history.

I saw a report that Lovie Smith said that he "wasn't interested" in coaching the Vols.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton says he has not offered the Vols coaching job to anyone yet.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

There was at least one news report Wednesday that Tennessee had made an offer to former Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin and that Kiffin was believed to be assembling a staff of assistants.

Hamilton says any report of a job offer is "incorrect information" and that the search process is ongoing. He said he hopes to name a coach soon.

Coach Phillip Fulmer is being forced out of the position after 17 seasons. With one game remaining, the Vols own a 4-7 overall record and a 2-5 Southeastern Conference record.

Tennessee hosts Kentucky (6-5, 2-5) on Saturday and will celebrate "Phillip Fulmer appreciation day."

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8855026/Tennessee-AD-says -he-hasn't-hired-anyone?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3729285

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton denied a local radio report that said Lane Kiffin had been offered the job as the next head football coach at the school.

WNML radio reported Wednesday that Kiffin, the 33-year-old former head coach of the Oakland Raiders, had been offered the job.

"We have not offered the job to anybody," Hamilton said on WVLT-TV. "If anybody has said that, that would be incorrect information."

Kiffin is a former USC offensive coordinator. Hamilton has not "offered" the job to Kiffin, but contractual parameters have been discussed, a person briefed on the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Two sources told ESPN.com that they expect the search to be wrapped up next week and that Kiffin is at the forefront of that search. Speculation on Tennessee's final candidates centers on Kiffin, Brian Kelly of Cincinnati, Gary Patterson of TCU and Tim Brewster of Minnesota.

Tennessee plays its final game under Phil Fulmer on Saturday against Kentucky.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<DIV ="text text_top" id=text_top>
<DIV ="georgia md" id=fontprefs_top>

Lane Kiffinhasbeen hired at Tennessee. What do you think about it?

[url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/28/ SPKD14E28U.DTL[/url]

(11-28) 19:00 PST -- Lane Kiffin's 22-month tour of Al Davis' circle of hell was finally completed this weekend when he agreed to an extended contract to be the new head coach at the University of Tennessee.
<DIV ="text text_bottom" id=text_bottom>
<DIV ="georgia md" id=fontprefs_bottom>

This tells us two things: One, there may be hope for Tom Cable after all; and two, Kiffin played Davis with greater facility than even Jon Gruden ever did.

As for the first, we are being half-facetious, as Cable is still on the outer rim of interim. For the second, we are dead serious. Kiffin knew as quickly as did Davis that the two were fated to loathe each other, and yet without Davis, Kiffin could never have made the jump from his modest place in the USC coaching hierarchy to the Tennessee job.

In other words, he rolled the dice with his reputation, and came up not with just a seven, but with a Yahtzee.

The announcement is being delayed until after Phillip Fulmer's sendoff game against Kentucky today, but multiple sources have not only pegged the deal as done, but have verified that he will be paid more to coach the Volunteers than he was to coach the Raiders - and maybe even more than his grievance against Al for money still owed on the balance of his contract.

Whether Kiffin can succeed in air more rarefied than the sludge of the AFC West (trust us, far more people care about the Southeastern Conference) remains to be seen. The company around him is world-class fast - Nick Saban at Alabama, Urban Meyer at Florida, Mark Richt at Georgia, even Houston Nutt at Mississippi - and what he has proven as a head coach is mostly that he could irritate the boss.

True, irritating Al could be a noble pursuit in and of itself, but its amusements last only so long. Kiffin's war with Davis lasted only 20 games, but by the end even the truest believers on either side had seen the catastrophic flaws in both men, and by the end we were treated to notions like a 76-yard field goal attempt that wasn't about three points but a finger in the eye. The players did not weep when Kiffin left, except with envy. He had the leverage of pushing Davis' hypersensitive buttons, and an ability to sell himself without a resume.

And that salesmanship has now worked twice. He got a job in the NFL his experience didn't merit, and now he has one in the SEC that his NFL experience didn't merit, either.

Except that Tennessee fans are actually less forgiving than Raider fans, and he won't have a natural and target-rich foil like Al to play off this time. He will either build an SEC powerhouse in the teeth of more experienced men like Saban and Meyer and Richt and yes, even Nutt, or he will be run out of Knoxville with a vengeance that makes Al's overhead projector seem like a French tickler.

See, Kiffin was playing with all the face cards in Oakland, a fact we didn't really see at the time when we thought he was trying to succeed in Oakland. He had a limited and dispirited roster, an owner whose last calendar purchase was in 1977, and his own boyish charm. He knew he would always have Al, and Al makes all things shine in comparison. All credit to Lane for deducing it long before the rest of us.

But in taking the Tennessee job rather than, say, Washington or Syracuse or even Clemson, he decided, as young'uns often will, to fly too close to the sun. The SEC is not for the faint of heart, or the superficially clever, or even the young and energetic. The SEC is where you go after you've cut your teeth on something tougher than Davis' disapproval, and unless Kiffin has a lot more game than he ever showed in Oakland, he's picked an awfully big elephant to ride.

He is following an unpopular coach in Fulmer, but also one who lasted 17 years and won a national championship; in Oakland, he followed Norv Turner. His stadium will have 107,000 fans in it each week, while the Raiders fight hard to get to 60,000. There are no shades of gray in Tennessee football, where every win is the minimum standard and every loss an affront to an entire state. In Oakland, the fans have been beaten down well enough to feel good about beating Kansas City.

In sum, Lane Kiffin got the promotion he'd been working nearly two years to get. Now we're about to find out if he was really up to it all this time.

Lane Kiffin isn't what Vol fans would have preferred. They would have wanted a proven winner as a head coach at the major college level. it may be that nobody like that wanted to come to Knoxville. Kiffin has a pretty thin resume.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kiffin recruits rapist
<a href="http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/college#7" target="_blank">
http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/college#7</a>

Daniel Hood signed a football scholarship with the University of
Tennessee on Tuesday afternoon. That the once sought-after recruit
signed nearly three months after many of the nation's elite players is
a result of Hood's role in the sexual assault of a female relative when
he was 13 years old. But it is also a result of supporters who
emphatically say that Hood, now 19, has earned the continuation of a
second chance he was given by Catholic High School. "We didn't go about
this lightly," UT coach Lane Kiffin said in a statement Tuesday. "We
spent a lot of time researching the issue and talking to a lot of
people who are well-respected in the community. Everyone spoke very
highly of Daniel. He's a very bright young man who wants to move past
this incident and be a good representative for the team, the university
and the community." Hood was tried as a juvenile and found to be
delinquent by a jury "on the basis that he had committed the adult
offenses of kidnapping and aggravated rape," according to records from
a 2006 appeal. Court documents reveal details of the incident,
including duct tape being placed over 70 percent of the victim's body
and the use of an object in the assault. -- Knoxville News-Sentinel

White Power

Mentor
Yes I was going to point out that he is white does it matter to the average fan on this board.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
His race doesn't matter to me in this case because my point in posting the article is to highlight how screwed up the whole coaching/recruiting system is. I doubt whether any coaches 40 years ago would have thought of recruiting such players.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I found another article like Rebs, excpet the headline for this one is: By recruiting a player with an ugly episode in his past, Lane Kiffen is taking a huge chance,
smiley8.gif
Michael Rosenberg says. I guess all the SEC schools, Texas, Oklahoma, and USC haven't recruited a problem player ever then, moron? I need to Email this guy over this bullsh*t article. So the one white guy who has a problem, there is an article written about him, but not about the over 50% of blacks in the NCAA that have had problems in their past. Talk about a double standard.
smiley11.gif

REad it and puke. http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9547078/Kiffin-out-on-a-l imb-with-new-recruit

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is pathetic to hear about, Jack. Typical caste media.
smiley7.gif
I'm not going to both reading the drivel, but I take your word on the story.

StarWars

Mentor
In fact it fits the media's agenda very well. By recruiting a troubled white player they can point at him whenever someone black takes out a gun in a bar or runs someone over with his car.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I know this isn't about 2008 Vols, but this garbage about Tennessee needs to be heard. The Vols won't get any better under Lane Kiffen, look what fat-lard these guys have recruited now.
smiley11.gif
His name is Jose Jose. WTF!?!?!
smiley5.gif
Can these names get anymore stupid? Take Lache Seastrunk, a top RB according to scout, for example.
smiley5.gif

Look at the rest of his profile. 6-1 330lbs. for a center!!! On top of that, he is extremely slow and sluggish, only running a 5.63 40 time. I can do way better than that. Other schools included Florida and Thug U. His scouting combine results says he now weighs or weighed 350 lbs. Holy Sh**!
smiley7.gif

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3658703

Sorry to rant like that, but looking at that has pi**** me off.

Colonel_Reb said:
His race doesn't matter to me in this case because my point in posting the article is to highlight how screwed up the whole coaching/recruiting system is. I doubt whether any coaches 40 years ago would have thought of recruiting such players. 

Not necessarily. Almost 60 years ago, two Tennessee players did something worse than this while on the squad. They stayed on the team because the boosters wanted them to. As an old-line SEC fan, I can tell you that many SEC coaches of over 40 years ago would have recruited this player.

Before the late 60's, the SEC didn't recruit black players (Tennessee was the first), but they weren't always discriminating about the white players who were signed.