2007 World Championships of Track & Field

devans

Mentor
TheEnglishman said:
So did Nicola Sanders for the womens 4x400 relay. Ohuruogu won the normal 400m final with a time of 49.61 seconds with Sanders claiming silver. Sanders recorded 48.8 seconds in the relay? That is soooo frustrating! But congrats to Sanders
smiley32.gif
, she really is a pure athlete even though you wouldn't think it by looking at her.

You can't compare relay times to individual times because of the running start in the relay. Having said that, in the 400M athletes only really jog a few steps and often have to set out from lanes 3 or 4.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That is true but they are still timed and Pickering even ran faster than Wallace Spearmon. I'm just trying to give him some credit.If he is on the anchor leg,maybe the Brits get the silver medal instead of the bronze. I just want him to lower his p.b. dramatically next season. He should have ran faster this year but sometimes things don't go as planned. He still is just a kid but the pressure is on with the Olympics right around the corner.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Does anybody have clue on why Mottrom was a non factor in the 5K? I suspect Webb was burned out from the Euro racing circuit. But Mottrom seemed to be racing lightly?

In a slow race anything can happen. The pace was so slow in the men's
5k the race was left wide open so to speak. Mottram also engaged in bad
tactics. I don't think I've ever seen him run in a race as slow as the final
in Osaka. The flip side is that Tegenkamp just missed a medal and is
undoubtedly capable of sub 13 based on his 2 mile AR earlier this year
and his PR last year of 13:04.

Same problem hit Yuriy Borzakovskiy of Russia. He was favorite in the
800, but the pace was slower than most district level HS races for the first
400 meters. Once that happens, you'll find yourself blocked out and
almost everyone has energy left for a good finish. The race did point out
how things have regressed over the years in some ways. In 1980 when
the Olympic 800 had a first lap this slow, Ovett and others took off with
Ovett winning with a last lap of 50.8! Coe ran about the same for second.
These guys aren't capable of doing that, obviously.

BTW - if anyone likes, they should go over to the Track and Field News
website and sign up for their message board and hammer the Wariner
haters in the Osaka section of the board. I won't bother, been kicked out
of there too often
smiley36.gif
but one guy, Johnny Walker Red has been
diplomatically sticking it to the anti-Wariner crowd rather well. He calls
them on their "reverse racism". These white guys over there are pathetic,
they're praying for Wariner to lose to Merritt, etc. Then when JW mentions
it they go nuts. They are pathetic sniffers of the sweat stained shorts of
the wondrous ***** afflete.

Wariner will break 20 in the 200 next season. The only way Merritt is
going to stand a chance to beat him is to continue with what looks to be
an obvious doping regimen. Look at his physique of late. I rest my case.

G

I also noticed the 800 and 1500 have not improved at all in 20 years, overall at least.

I now think Webb can get the American record in the 800 though. That 1:43 made 1:42 seem very possible.

Did Jeremy Wariner participate in this year's IAAF world championships of track & field? You wouldn't know it by reading Sports Illustrated. In the article entitled "Runaway Victory" starting on page 55 of the September 10,2007 edition, there is no mention of him. I was pretty sure that the won the 400 meter dash in 43.45, making him the 3rd fastest individual ever, and ran a 43.1 anchor on the gold-medal 4 x 400m. relay. However, the only mention of 400 meter running is a picture of LaShawn Merritt handing off to Angelo Taylor. Merritt and Taylor are labeled as "shining examples". Two gold medals for Wariner and no mention by SI! What's the deal?

G

I would ignore ESPN and SI. Unfortunately, they have an obvious agenda these days.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have been thinking all along that he will be lucky to make the cover even if he breaks the world record as he is winning his 2nd olympic gold medal. What a joke!
smiley7.gif

G

white lightning said:
I have been thinking all along that he will be lucky to make the cover even if he breaks the world record as he is winning his 2nd olympic gold medal. What a joke! [:x]

There's no chance at all that Wariner gets the cover of SI.

The US media has been working overtime to ignore this guy. If he breaks the world record, they will go out of their way to pretend it didn't happen.Edited by: nevada

Poacher

Mentor
America must be the only country in the world that shuns it's own champions.

Correction; WHITE champions.Edited by: Poacher

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
If Wariner takes the world record in a gold medal run in Beijing and doesn't get the front cover of SI. I will personally write 3 letters, two under different names, asking them why. I will do this even under serious time constraints. All of us from this site should do this.

4 x 400 meter relay splits for all runners in finals of IAAF World Championships:

Check out Jeremy Wariner (USA), Martyn Rooney, Lee McConnell, and Nicola Sanders (All Great Britain & N.I.). Fastest men's splits and numbers 2 & 3 fastest women's splits. Pretty good "deceptive speed" by "overachievers".

http://www.european-athletics.org/index.php?option=com_conte nt&task=view&id=5563&Itemid=2

Have to give credit to Allyson Felix for her blazing 48.0 split for the USA.

highschoolcoach said:
4 x 400 meter relay splits for all runners in finals of IAAF World Championships:

Check out Jeremy Wariner (USA), Martyn Rooney, Lee McConnell, and Nicola Sanders (All Great Britain & N.I.). Fastest men's splits and numbers 2 & 3 fastest women's splits. Pretty good "deceptive speed" by "overachievers".

http://www.european-athletics.org/index.php?option=com_conte nt&task=view&id=5563&Itemid=2

Have to give credit to Allyson Felix for her blazing 48.0 split for the USA.

Sorry, Lee McConnell's split was 49.79, one of the fastest splits, but not the 3rd fastest.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I like Allyson Felix even though she is black. She is a Reverend's daughter and seems like a nice girl and is actually (surprise) quite pretty. I don't see black females as as big contributers to the caste system. There are still a lot of good Russian and European white female track stars, just no white American girls. It seems like white American girls are afraid of being looked at as too masculine which you don't have to be as in Alyson Felix's case.