2005 Ole Miss Rebels

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bear Bryant asked Coach Vaught one day after losing to the Rebels, "when is that Hindman going to graduate?" When Vaught replied "next year," Bryant said "I'm sure am glad." I have always thought that was a good quote. Vaught was the closest any coach came to having a winning record against Bryant, he was 6-7 against him. Every other coach in the SEC Vaught had a winning record against, except General Neyland (2-3). He was an innovator no doubt. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
More info on the newest edition Rebels?. According to the August 16'th edition of the Oxford Eagle, the backup FB spot now belongs to Sophomore Seth Michaelson from New Orleans. He will be behind a black FB, but will likely see some playing time this year. The TE has changed too, but is still a black. This years TE's are the blackest in Ole Miss history. Robert Lane will probably end up starting at QB after the first 3-4 games, when their likely beginning of the year black starter Micheal Spurlock falls on his face like he did last year. David Traxler is competing with Andrew Wicker for the other OG spot. The only for sure white starters right now are still just two.

LG-Andrew Wicker or David Traxler.

DE-Chris Bowers

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Update on the Rebs, who play at Memphis Saturday. Black RB Alan Abrams has been suspended from the team for disciplinary reasons. Black SO DB Kareem Moore has decided to transfer from Ole Miss. These two moves may open up room for some white guys to play more.

FB Seth Michaelson, who is already 2'nd string at that position, might be helped by it. Also, Junior DB Thad Rhodes might be able to see the field on something other than special teams duty.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
memphis has three white db's starting the last time i checked.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, Jimmy. U of M strangely has all their white starters in the secondary. You can see the rest of their starters under "University of Memphis Tigers" in college football. Many of the teams I gave info on are on pages 2-5.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
New Miss stinks.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
These guys got lucky against a lethargic Memphis offense who played a freshman most of the game. The blackest Rebs to date. I couldn't watch them.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The left guard was the only white player on Ole Miss. Grambling has fielded whiter teams.
smiley5.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Just saw this in the Clarion-Ledger today. Thought someone might get something out of it. This Vanderbilt game is turning into a big game, especially for Ole Miss.

I found this on an Ole Miss recruiting site. I hope they get this guy!

RB Chane Moline
189903t.jpg

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 230 40: 4.7
Position: FB
Projected as: RB
Position Rank: 19
Class: 2006 Senior
High School: Mission Viejo HS
(Mission Viejo, CA)

2005 - High School Football:
As a sophomore, received first team all-CIF honors and was named South Coast League Offensive MVP after rushing for 1,200 yards and 16 touchdowns. As a junior (14-0 record), was named Offensive Player of the Year in CIF Division II after rushing for 1,800 yards and 40 touchdowns; Bench: 310/Squat: 490/Power Clean: 250/Vert Jump: 28"

I also just found this. Looks like Orgeron is recruiting California pretty hard. Imagine what these two guys playing in the same backfield could be like!

RB Toby Gerhart
201625.jpg

Ht: 6-0 Wt: 216 40: 4.5
Position: RB
Projected as: RB
Position Rank: NR
Date of Birth: 3/28/1987
Class: 2006 Senior
High School: Norco HS
(Norco, CA)

2005 - High School Football:
One of the elite runners in the 2006 class, Gerhart ran for 3,035 yards and 33 touchdowns as a sophomore and earned acclaim throughout California and the nation. A bum ankle limited him much of his junior year, but he still amassed 2,210 yards and 27 scores on 281 carries (7.9 ypc).
bench - 315
squat - 495
vertical - 30"

4.6 (advanced placement) GPA/1810 (2400 ceiling) SAT/already 36 junior college credits

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
what do you bet that Gerhart wouldn't have any trouble "picking up the offense"...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't bet a dime on it, because I know he would pick it up. Their current running game stinks. They got 55 yards against Memphis. I say, bring on the white backs and watch the yards go up!

IceSpeed2

Guru
Gary was saying the stars and bars waving sent
images of biggotry to people reading the site. I don't think he
was saying he thought the flag was racist. That Toby Gerhart sure
looks imposing. Question, does 36 junior college credits mean
that he took junior college classes, or that he can enter college as a
junior.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Icespeed:It was actually Bigman who made those comments, not Gary.If people think the flag I use as my avatar is an image of bigotry, they need to go back and do some research. Again I must ask, what stars and bars? I have never seen the stars and bars on this website. I doubt most of you guys would know what the stars and bars is if you saw one.

As for Toby Gerhart, he will be a freshman eligibility wise. He has just excelled and taken that many college classes already.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, Ole Miss has all black captains for only the second time in its history. The other year was 2000.
smiley11.gif

okra63

Guru
OLE MISS LOST TO VANDY and well deserved. I am proud of Vanderbilt. OLE MISS has no running game, but looked to have played a pretty good second half. Do you guys like Ogeron as a coach?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't like him at all. He rants and raves on the sidelines and seems to be as big a Caste System man as anyone. I am glad the black rebels lost too. I do think Vandy tried to beat themselves, as usual in the second half of that game, and they were lucky to win, but they did make Ole Miss look a little better in the 2'nd half.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
They are getting thumped royally by Wyoming in Oxford tonight. I can't say that I'm sad for them either. I can't believe the Rebs are as black as South Carolina!
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, its presto chango time at Ole Miss. Guess who's moving to Fullback for the Kentcuky game this week? Yep, the incredibly fast and agile running QB Robert Lane. Here's the article on it, but I think he should be starting ahead of Spurlock, the current QB. I guess if he ends up starting, it will be a good thing, but all I see is wasted speed and talent. Now if they moved him to TB, I wouldn't complain. Lane is a tough player for sure, but I think they'd be better off letting him run the ball than block for a converted DB/FS like McSwain. One good note is that in the past, Ole Miss did give the FB's a fair number of runs and passes, but this is a new offense, and I have no clue what it is like now.

Lane takes crack at FB
Backup quarterback lays out linebacker Russell at practice

By Michael Wallace
mwallace@clarionledger.com
Quarterback-turned-fullback Robert Lane might play as many as four positions Saturday against Kentucky.

OXFORD  If anyone questions whether Robert Lane will embrace his move to fullback at Ole Miss, he left a resounding answer Tuesday.

Just ask linebacker Robert Russell.

Lane, who lined up behind quarterback Micheal Spurlock, darted out of the backfield on a passing play and delivered a crushing block on Russell to free a receiver for a big gain.
The collision brought a collective "Ooh" from players on both sidelines.

And suddenly, the coaching staff's concerns about the depth at fullback were eased. Lane might not be able to unseat Spurlock at quarterback, but the 6-foot-3, 230-pound sophomore has found a new home in the backfield. At least for now.

"He's still our backup quarterback, too," Ole Miss offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone said Tuesday. "But if he keeps cracking back on linebackers like that ... "

Lane could line up at as many as four positions when Ole Miss (2-4, 0-3 SEC) faces Kentucky (1-4, 0-4) Saturday at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. Lane worked out in full pads at fullback for the first time Tuesday. He also ran routes at tight end and receiver. He took snaps at quarterback, too.

His flexibility was required when starting fullback Jason Cook broke his left arm in the first half of Saturday's loss to Alabama. Cook, who had surgery after the game, could be out for the remainder of the season.

That left the Rebels with just one scholarship fullback in Jamal Pittman, who moved from tailback earlier in the season. Lane, Pittman and walk-on Seth Michaelson split time at fullback Tuesday.

If things go according to plan, Lane would become the eighth player to switch positions since coach Ed Orgeron arrived last December.

"I've said all along that in our program, we're going to get the best football players on the field regardless of position," Orgeron said. "And Robert Lane is certainly one of our best players. We've had some success with some of these changes before. We've been right on most of them."

Ole Miss coaches believe Lane will follow in the footsteps of other players who have made a smooth transition into new roles.

Mico McSwain started as a receiver and then moved to safety before settling in at tailback, where he is now one of the top rushers in the SEC. Offensive guard Andrew Wicker, safety Jamarca Sanford and linebacker Kelvin Robinson are among others enjoying success after position switches.

Orgeron said he approached Lane on Monday with a choice that was between likely spending the rest of the year on the bench waiting behind Spurlock or relocating to a spot where Lane's athleticism and toughness were needed now.

Lane has passed for 79 yards and has five turnovers in four games this season. Last season, he ran for 309 yards and three touchdowns.

"It's certainly different, don't get me wrong, but if this is where I can help the team that's what I'll do," said Lane. "It's been tough for me to stand on the sidelines. I'll enjoy this because I'm going to be on the field playing."

The move for Lane could last a week, or the rest of the season. Either way, players who have made similar adjustments said egos must be set aside.

"I feel like the players who have made the changes are buying into it," Wicker said. "You have to trust the coaches. If it's a better move for the team, it's probably a better move for the player, too."

First-year Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron has vowed to get the best players on
the field regardless of position. That has philosophy has led to plenty of
position changes since the new staff took over last December.
Name Previous position Current position Results
Darryl Harris OG, OTC Has drawn 4 starts
Keith Houston FS, LBTE 32-yard catch vs. Citadel
Robert Lane QB   FB ?
Mico McSwain WR/FS RB SEC's No. 8 rusher
Jamal Pittman RB  FB 8 cat., 48 yds
Kelvin Robinson SS WLB 2nd on team in tackles
Jamarca Sanford CB, WLBSS 4th on team in tackles
Andrew Wicker DT  OG Has drawn 2 starts

206280.jpeg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ole Miss scraped by the Kentucky Wildcats today. Robert Lane got no rushes, but 3 catches for 40 yards.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, Coach Orgeron has changed his mind on Spurlock being the starter, and this week against Arkansas, Ethan Flatt will start. I hope he does better than the last couple of games he started in last year. Anyway, good luck Ethan!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ole Miss was crushed by LSU today, 40-7. Orgeron reportedly had 3 strokes and 2 heart attacks on the sidelines!
smiley36.gif
I think its freaking hilarious! He put Spurlock back in during the 4'th quarter, but were there any doubts that LSU would stomp them? Nope!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
More QB news from Ole Miss and yes it is bad. The good news is that all the guys mentioned by name in this article are white. One of them will have to step up and be the man next year. I think it will be Robert Lane, that is if he is still in Oxford. He is yet to say whether he will return for his Junior year. There is also the prospect of Brent Schaeffer transfering to Ole Miss from a California junior college where he went from Tennessee. I hope he doesn't come to Ole Miss.

QB Flatt's departure leaves UM in pickle
Lane â€â€￾ converted to FB/TE this season â€â€￾ last man standing for Rebels
Ethan Flatt
213240.jpg

Disappearing quarterbacks
Ole Miss quarterbacks and their status, listed in order of last season's depth chart:
Ethan Flatt (Jr.): Declined to return
Micheal Spurlock (Sr.): Graduated
Robert Lane (So): moved to TE/FB
Billy Tapp (Fr.): redshirted in 05
Taylor Mazzone (Fr.): status unknown after father's firing as offensive coordinator.

By Michael Wallace
mwallace@clarionledger.com

Ole Miss will open spring football practice in three months with one less option at the quarterback position.

Ethan Flatt, a junior who started the last three games of a frustrating 3-8 season, will not return for his senior season, team sources confirmed Friday night.

Flatt is scheduled to graduate in May with a degree in business and had been planning to attend law school after his college career ended.

Flatt declined to comment when reached on his cell phone Friday. Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron did not return phone messages.

Flatt apparently informed Orgeron of his decision on Thursday, when the team met for a season-ending banquet. Flatt's departure leaves a hole in the pocket.

Micheal Spurlock, who started seven games, graduated and has completed his eligibility. Sophomore Robert Lane drew a start on Sept. 24, but was moved to fullback/tight end for the rest of the season.

All three of the quarterbacks struggled during one of the worst offensive seasons in school history. Ole Miss finished the season ranked 116th out of 117 Division I-A teams in rushing, 115th in scoring and 111th in total offense.

Flatt's defection extends a stretch of attrition that has depleted the roster and coaching staff during Orgeron's first season. At least 14 players, including nine from Orgeron's February signing class, have left the team since last summer.

Offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone was fired earlier this month after one season and tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator Matt Luke left to accept a position at the University of Tennessee.

Flatt started nine games under former coach David Cutcliffe in 2004, but didn't crack Orgeron's rotation until the coach was out of options after Spurlock and Lane were unable to move the offense. In two seasons playing at Ole Miss, Flatt passed for 2,041 yards, eight touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Where Ole Miss stands at quarterback in the spring remains in question. One likely scenario is that Lane will be extended another shot at the job. Billy Tapp, a redshirt freshman, also returns.

Orgeron has hinted the team may sign a junior college prospect who could enroll in January. Ole Miss has two oral commitments from prep quarterbacks: Texas' Nick Stephens and California's Michael Herrick. But neither would arrive on campus prior to next summer.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Realgeorge

Mentor
Excellent Posts, Colonel Reb !!

Hope someday we will celebrate the return of REAL rebels to the Ole Miss football team, and campus in general. Archie Manning is still my hero. The last great U Miss quarterback. And a great announcer for the New Orleans Saints

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
60 letter winners for 2005 were announced, with only C-Ben Boyce, QB-Ethan Flatt, P/K-Will Moseley, WR-Matt Pierce, OL-Andrew Wicker, K-Matt Hinkle, QB/RB/TE-Robert Lane, K-Robert Bass, DE-Chris Bowers, P-Rob Park, and OL-David Traxler being the only whites. Zero whites were Senior letter winners. It looks as though they have recruited another white QB from Northeast Community College, as well as a white lineman.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I guess I should get Don to take the 2005 off of this thread, but here's some news on Ole Miss spring drills.
The only info worth noting isn't great news. Ex QB Robert Lane has now been converted to TE. He has played almost every skill position on offense, but I imagine they will keep him at TE for good. He caught a TD in a scrimmage last week. The funny thing is, after that TD Coach Orgeron said "that's why he's at TE, to be a playmaker."
smiley5.gif
The only other white Ole Miss news is that Seth Adams and Brian Hall have been sharing reps at QB.