Will Hillis run for 1,000 yards in NFL?

Will Peyton HIllis ever rush for 1,000 yards in the NFL?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He’ll get Alstott level duty, but never reach 1,000 yards

• He’ll have one 500 yard NFL season

• He’ll get the Heath Evans treatment.

• Total voters

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Just curious this guy has played like a beast the last one and a half games as he was only getting better. He rushed for 129 yards on 5.9 yards a carry and a TD against a tough Jets defense. Then he ran for 58 yards on 7.3 YPC and a TD in less than one half against the Chiefs before getting injured.

He has run for 5 yards per carry, 343 yards and 5 TDs in 3 and a half starts. Unfortunately his longest run was only 19 yards, but he had three 19 yard runs and an 18 yard TD. I believe Peyton would have had a similar type 49 yard run like Selvin Young did if he was in on the same play. Both these guys have similar speed, but Peyton is bigger and stronger and a better pass catcher. Peyton is made for this type offense. He makes his first cut superbly, has a great burst, finds the seam and then outruns angles and then finishes his runs like a beast.

Bottom Line: Will Shanahan have the gumption to make Peyton his starting HB next season. I think Hillis proved enough in his tenure as a starter that Shanahan could rightfully name Hillis the starting HB next season; if he does well in training camp without getting crucified by his players and the evil "Luginbill" ESPN caste clowns or more die hard drunken white fans. SO lets have a Castefootball vote on Peyton's future in the NFL!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I've been let down too many times; so I'm voting he becomes the next Alstott; although I think Shanahan will be more like Dungy than Gruden with Hillis. I actually think though that Hillis will get his carries from the tailback position not as a FB and be like Marion Barber of last year splitting with another guy. And just a question wasn't Hillis doing most of this in a single set backfield without Larsen blocking most of the time? That makes it even more amazing! Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

PhillyBirds

Mentor
I hate to echo the pessimism that's been rampant since
his injury, but I don't see anyone using him as a
running back again. He was pigeon-holed as a "receiving
fullback" after his one big game and I think will remain
as such.

It took an almost laughable parade of RB injuries to get
Peyton to the forefront, a situation that is very
unlikely to repeat itself. I would love nothing more
than to be proven wrong, but I am given no reason to
believe otherwise. (See: Brad Hoover)

Edited by: PhillyBirds

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I know, but looking at Denver's RB roster only Selvin Young is established as a solid player. Michael Pittman is an average journeymen and is now 32 or 33 years old. Andre Hall, Ryan Torain, Cory Boyd, Tatum signed off the street Bell are all either low draft picks or are nothing special. I don't see Peyton winning the starting job next season I see him emerging as a Marion Barber type backup behind Selvin Young. Best cast scenario; if Hillis is put in a great position next year, he'll prove his worth and eventually be a starter again. I still can't believe he got hurt on that freak play. The play didn't look dirty to me, just looked like his leg got caught. As a white RB he was giving so much effort to be seen as legit. That is part of why he got hurt. Many DWFs on message boards were starting to believe in Hillis. I do see him getting a chance next year if he recovers from injury, but he will probably start off as second team. Shanahan was just quoted as saying that "Hillis proved he can play tailback in this league" he also said he did a great job with his opportunity. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Shanahan is known as the league's "mad scientist" when it comes to running backs. He doesn't like to name a starter, preferring to keep his RBs insecure, apparently to make sure they play as hard as possible.

I'd say the most likely scenario is that Hillis gets more or less an Alstott role. But there is at least a chance he could be the featured back. As I posted before I'd like to see him lose weight and also play a little smarter now that he's shown how good he can be. He needs to be durable or all the speculation about his future becomes a moot point.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I vote yes. I won't say when but eventually Hillis will get the chance to shine. Look at Kevin Walter this season. He's bounced around, rode the bench, been cut, etc and now he is going to have a 1,000 yard season. Keep in mind Hillis was a rookie FULLBACK this season. I don't mean that in a disparaging way. He did not even really get to play tailback in college like Hester or Leonard. So many brain dead coaches and GMs were not even aware that he could run the rock so well.

As with McGuffie, many are quick to say the sky is falling with white skill players. I know there is much precedent for disappointment but let's have a little faith and a little patience too.

One last point. Coach Shanahan is pretty far removed from his "glory" Superbowl teams. His status as an elite coach is very much in jeopardy with each mediocre team after mediocre team. I would hope this forces him to play the best players. He has used a fair amount of white skill players recently and has said some favorable things about Hillis. Lets hope Hillis gets a fair chance at being the starting tailback next season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good points Don, and I agree.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Listen to this write up in the Denver Post. "In the end, Hillis was doomed by his remarkable athleticism. He had no business making that catch."

Broncos - chalk talk
Peyton Hillis' final catch
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Updated: 12/08/2008 11:27:03 PM MST

Broncos reporter Mike Klis analyzes a play from Denver's 24-17 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday:

The play: On third-and-2 from the Chiefs' 45, Broncos running back Hillis flared out around left end, then went up the sideline. As Hillis left the backfield, Chiefs defensive back Brandon Flowers blitzed untouched toward Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. Rushed, Cutler threw off his back foot and sent a popup toward Hillis, who had just gotten a step on Chiefs safety Jarrad Page. As the ball hung, Page recovered, but Hillis leaped up and reached over the defender to make an incredible catch for an 11-yard gain and a first down. As Hillis' front side fell forward, he landed on a stiff right leg. The force of the ground's contact with a planted leg caused Hillis' right hamstring to rip away from the bone. He is finished for the season.

Point/counterpoint: This was a case in which both teams had a perfect call on the same play. The Chiefs' blitz was perfect as it brought an attacker through Hillis' vacated area. The dump to Hillis was Cutler's only option. In the end, Hillis was doomed by his remarkable athleticism. He had no business making that catch. If it's any consolation, his first-down grab kept a drive going that eventually ended in a touchdown that narrowed the Broncos' deficit to 17-14.
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I see Hillis possibly getting a few seasons with some carries in the future. He could reach 500 yards in a season. I only say this because he will probably average 8 carries a game if that.

If Hillis is able to start the way he did the past three games, he WILL have a 1,000 yard rushing season. I don't see why Shanahan would play Hillis the way he did and then pull the rug out from under him.

I think the only thing we can know is that we cannot predict the future. Who would have thought Hillis would have even gotten this chance in the first place?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Hillis started a few games in his rookie season. Most white running backs don't start a game in their entire careers. It is true that Hillis only got to start because several "affletes" got injured but still. He showed he is a legit running back in the NFL. Hillis may however be used like Alstott in the future.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Electric Slide said:
Who would have thought Hillis would have even gotten this chance in the first place?

Me, sort of.
smiley36.gif
I posted this in the Hillis thread in July:

Mike Shanahan is well-known for playing musical chairs at running back. . . so, I have a dream. I dream that Selvin Young is too small and lacks the durability to be an every down back. I dream that rookie Ryan Torrain is found lacking in running ability and in picking up the offense. I dream that 33 year old Michael Pittman is washed up. I dream that little Andre Hall is never considered as feature back material.

I have a dream. . . that Shanahan is forced to turn to a rookie "fullback," one who is 240 pounds with 4.6 speed and who is an excellent runner, receiver and blocker. I have a dream that this rookie "shocks the world" by excelling in the Broncos one-cut run-blocking scheme and rolls up big yards as the team's starting tailback.

I can dream, can't I?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Wow, I actually remember that post Don. That was a good prediction. It's too bad Hillis is injured and who knows how long we will have to wait for another white running back to get some serious carries. This injury, Leonard, and Mcguffie's situation got me down.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Peyton is so good that even if the Broncos go back to using him as a fullback, when he does get touches he'll keep being so obviously more productive than the other backs that he could end up being the main guy again. It's probably a bit of a longshot given the NFL's longstanding rules about white running backs, butHillis has the best chance of anyone since Riggins to be a starter.But heneeds to throttle the all-out effort back a bit for the sake of his health. There's a difference between going down easy, as so many black RBs do, and knocking heads on every single play. If he gets hurt again he'll have a label that will be hard to shake.

GWTJ

Mentor
Hillis isn't the first player to learn the hard way about going all out on every play. Many guys have found out that the NFL isn't college. All the players are strong and tough. The player that goes all out on every play does more damage to himself than the other team. But the players usually have to play a while to figure it out.

I personally believe that Hillis will get his chance to run the ball for the Broncos. It may take some games to earn his spot. But But I see Hillis tearing it up again before he is through.

P-NutLane

Guru
I sometimes think its to the point that if he crossed 850 yards with 2 games left, Shanahan would recieve a call informing him that Graig James is to be the last white man to accomplish this feat. That HIllis has been a real ''lunch pail guy'' but clearly needsa rest.

Too over the top?

Gi-15

Mentor
I voted yes, Hillis has world of athletisism, he should not be compared with the likes of forsey and hoover. I've got a lot of respect for those guys, but none of them had the raw athletism(damn I don't know how it's spelled...) that Hillis possess. Even Jacob Hester isn't in the same league. The guy is just a freak. The rabbit is out of the closet, Everybody will wonder why he isn't getting carries next year if he is relegated to fullback duties. I just hope they don't draft a chris wells in next year's draft.

I'll be optimistic and say "yes." He's too damn good to go unnoticed and unused. Others have mentioned that his longest run was only 19 yards, but that's in only sixty-some carries (btw, how many times have Bettis, Ron Dane, Brandon Jacobs, Eddie George and Reggie Bush broken 80 yarders?), and a 5 yd average without those long runs is remarkable. It suggests that Hillis is rarely going to be stopped for less than four yards.

Haha Don, you had a much better lead on this than I did. I am on the same page as you; Hillis will not be handed the position back, but if he is who we think he is he'll work his way back. And won't be denied.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Cassiodorus said:
I'll be optimistic and say "yes." He's too damn good to go unnoticed and unused. Others have mentioned that his longest run was only 19 yards, but that's in only sixty-some carries (btw, how many times have Bettis, Ron Dane, Brandon Jacobs, Eddie George and Reggie Bush broken 80 yarders?), and a 5 yd average without those long runs is remarkable. It suggests that Hillis is rarely going to be stopped for less than four yards.

"Blinding speed" and all, Reggie Bush had his first 40 yard rush the other week. In his first two seasons in the NFL his longest run was only 22 yards.

I'll tell you one thing, on that 18 yard TD Hillis scored on Sunday, he was like a runaway locomotive that wasn't going to be stopped. He would have scored from wherever the line of scrimmage was once he got into the open field.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Electric Slide said:
Haha Don, you had a much better lead on this than I did. I am on the same page as you; Hillis will not be handed the position back, but if he is who we think he is he'll work his way back. And won't be denied.

My "dream" came true but it wasn't because the other backs weren't good enough, it was because one after another got injured. I monitored Hillis through Google news pretty regularly beginning in the pre-season, and he was never mentioned as a possibility atrunning back until allof the bowling pins were felled in front of him. He would have never had an opportunity through the scenario I mentioned. Reminded me a lot of how Rob Konrad (the elusive, 250 pound 4.4 bull in the stable) was always ignored by the Dolphins and their fans despitewhat was often aslew of mediocrities ahead of him at tailback.

But now that Hillis did get a chance, he's not going to go away easily.Edited by: Don Wassall

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If Peyton Hillis weighs around 250, he would need to lose 20 pounds to play regularly at TB. Both his college and (until a few weeks ago) pro teams have wanted him bulked up for FB.

Taco

Guru
i dont think hillis needs to lose weight, i think hes perfect the way he is right now. He can be used the same way the giants use Brandon Jacobs (with 1 or 2 other backs to help with the load), but a slightly smaller but quicker version of him. I have no doubt that if hillis is given an average amount of carries that most backs get he can get 1,000 yards. I feel that he will definitely be utilized next year, he seems to be "accepted" by espn and fans. I think I remember seeing someone at a Denver game already wearing a Hillis jersey.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Taco said:
I think I remember seeing someone at a Denver game already wearing a Hillis jersey.

His mom?