Why QB position is still mostly white

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
When Plunkett and Flores played, the hispanic invasion of the U.S.was in its beginning stagesand so-called hispanics weren't constantly put in the public eye like they are now, which may explain their lack of publicity as "minority" quarterbacks. I'm not even sure when the term "hispanic" was coined for public consumption. Many Mexicans in California came from families that had been in that state fora while. Also, Mexicans were often considered as darker-skinned whites rather than as a distinct non-white group. The U.S. Census listed them as whiteuntil at least the 1920s.

Of course there's also the factor that the system's obsession is almost always with blacks over any other non-white group.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I always assumed Plunkett was white with some native ancestry until it was mentioned that he was ethnic Mexican on a San Francisco sports talk show. The broadcaster made it seem that Plunkett was some sort of ethnic superhero. Granted I was young when he played but he never seemed to make any statements about his ancestry. Also Plunkett is an Anglosaxon or Irish surname.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
Finally, I hit them with what I consider the ultimate argument:

I agree.
smiley2.gif

Freedom

Mentor
Well. The media and sports writers will do everything in their power to brand QB as an "unathletic position."

Remember. 15% of QBs are black. They are 13% of the population.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
An opponent of this site emaileda pro-Caste System propaganda YouTube film made by CBS praising Bear Bryant for integrating Alabama's football team. Along with the usual self-flagellating, party line comments made by whites, one by Pat Dye, who was one of Bryant's assistant coaches in the '60s and later the head coach at Auburn and East Carolina, really stuck out: "We knew we had to get bigger, stronger, faster players (at Alabama), and the large majority of bigger, stronger, faster players were black."

This takes the standard Caste System line that blacks are faster and expands it to make them superior in every way physically. It's surprising Dye didn't add "smarter" to his list of adjectives because certainly no one would dare to call him on that either.

If one doesn't believe there is a racial caste system in sports, then it follows that one does indeed have to believe that blacks are bigger and stronger than whites since every position in football except quarterback is disportionately black and football is a test of size, strength and speed among other elements.

The reality that on average whites are the largest race, and that they totally dominate all athletic events measuring strength, is irrelevant, as is the fact that there are many white football players whose speed is as good as or better than that of blacks. Even conceding that blacks on average are slighter faster in straight line speed, the far largerpool of white football players in America negates that advantage to a large degree. Anyone who understands "The Bell Curve" and basic statistical probabilityknows this to be true, but the Caste System is of course based on myth and not reality.

Here's the YouTube piece, which has some clips of Alabama's dominating all-white teams from the 1960s:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CnOpZvEulvY

Edited by: Don Wassall

white is right

Hall of Famer
I can't believe that football players are termed fast? There is truly about 4 fast NFL players by track standards. Most wideouts and corners are high school sprinter speed. There are plenty of people of all races with that speed.

When Dye was coaching Auburn, he was often quoted saying this very thing. He would frequently tell reporters that blacks were much better athletes than whites.

I once knew a man who had a friend who played at Auburn when Bo Jackson was there. He told me that, "Dye let Bo get away with anything. He eventually lost control when he wouldn't let other players get away with what Bo Jackson got away with."

Dye resigned after the 1991 season with Auburn on probation. They went unbeaten in their first season under Bowden Jr.

Oddly, or perhaps not, some black Auburn players claimed that Pat Dye "discriminated" against them. Dye was shocked by this, which I recall seeing in a SI article.