Who makes the hall this year?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Players I would like to see make it are Morris, Gossage and Dawson. For me Big Mac has to wait and bubble guys like Rice don't get in....

Freedom

Mentor
Goose Gossage was awesome. Definitely a star in his day.
Rice? You mean master of the bottom of the ninth solo shot to win a game 9-1 instead of 8-1. Not a hall of famer.

It is a shame that his counterpart Fred Lynn won't make it. He could have been one of the best had he stayed in Fenway.Edited by: Freedom

white is right

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
Goose Gossage was awesome. Definitely a star in his day.
Rice? You mean master of the bottom of the ninth solo shot to win a game 9-1 instead of 8-1. Not a hall of famer.

It is a shame that his counterpart Fred Lynn won't make it. He could have been one of the best had he stayed in Fenway.
Rice was the best AL slugger of the late 70's, but like Sosa his stats were padded by playing in a tiny park. Also if you fade at 32 in a non contact sport this will be held against you when it comes to voting.Edited by: white is right

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dale Murphy had a better all-around career than Rice, especially in the fielding and base running departments, yet virtually no one thinks he belongs in the Hall, while there are lots of Rice boosters in the media.

I'd vote for Gossage and McGwire to go in along with Ripken and Gwynn. (Though I expect McGwire to receive just 33% of the vote or so.)Edited by: Don Wassall

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes Murphy was at one time the best all-around player in baseball in the early 80's. He never quite got the hype because he played on horrible teams in Atlanta. Like Rice he faded quickly. Funny I think he has better lifetime power numbers than Rice and Murphy is stuck in purgatory(not good enough to make it and not weak enough to be dropped from the ballot)...
smiley5.gif

Freedom

Mentor
Oh my god has time flown by. I forgot that Ripken was up for the hall. He is one of my favorite players and I still have his baseball card on my mantle.

Tony Gwynn was one of the best mechanical hitters ever, but that shouldn't hurt white athletes nor should it ever become Caste propaganda. Tony Gwynn, in a power crazy era, was actually refreshing at times and his tapes helped my swing.

I've never heard of Dale Murphy, but I looked him up and he was a premier player in the early 1980s.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Murphy was my favorite player from that era, back when Ted Turner's TBS "superstation" was a big cable player and virtually all the Braves games were televised nationally.

Murph was a very graceful 6-5 athlete who started off with the Braves as a catcher, very unusual for someone that tall. He was an excellent outfielder with a strong arm and also could steal bases (he had a 30-30 season in 1983).

He ended with 398 home runs. Jim Rice finished with 382, but had about 200 more career RBIs than Murphy and a significantly higher career batting average. Murphy's peak power year was 1987, when he hit 44 HRs. Murphy won back to back NL MVP awards, won 5 Gold Gloves, 4 Silver Sluggers, and was on 7 All Star teams. He did tail off in his early 30s, which is a shame because he looked a sure Hall of Famer up until then. I think Murphy fell short of a Hall of Fame career, but if the one-dimensional Rice is elected, then Murphy deserves to be enshrined too.

JoeV

Guru
I seriously doubt Rice or Murphy is elected. I would like to see guys like Don Mattingly and Bert Byleven elected, but the baseball HOF is by far the hardest to get into.