Who are your heroes?

DWFan

Mentor
I'm not sure how popular this would be here, but Huey Long, though he was killed before he could make a difference in my life.
Andrew Jackson, for fighting the banks and securing the land I live on. I don't hate Native Americans by any means, but the people that berate Jackson down here should at least consider the ethics of staying on the land. I definitely don't agree with everything Jackson did, but when I think about how fortunate I am to be here I have to realize he played an outstanding role in my folk's history.
How about you dwid?Edited by: DWFan

dwid

Hall of Famer
Im not so sure. Its what my final exam essay will be about in 2 weeks and it kind of threw me off, theres tons of people I admire and respect, but an actual hero that has made a difference in MY life, its something that id have to really think deeply about.

The only one that I could think of off the top of my head is my Father, but that is an obvious one.

(no im not trying to cheat and steal ideas haha, it just caught me by suprise that i couldnt think of anyone and was curious about who other people considererd theres)Edited by: dwid

P-NutLane

Guru
Jesus The Christ.
smiley2.gif
Best of luck on your exam by the way, dwid.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Ron Paul - true American in every sense
Thomas Jefferson - crafted the truest form of a Republic in the history of the world
Andrew Jackson - fought central banking
Ludwig von Mises - Austrian economist. Defender of the free markets and influencer of the libertarian movement.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Besides my father and Jesus, Robert Edward Lee, Thomas Jonathan Jackson, Nathan Bedford Forrest, and Patrick Ronayne Cleburne.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Robert E. Lee
Stonewall Jackson
John F. Kennedy
Henry Ford
Edward I of England
Charlemange

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
JD1986 said:
Robert E. Lee
Stonewall Jackson
John F. Kennedy
Henry Ford
Edward I of England
Charlemange

Just to comment on the list. Lee-great choice, maybe the greatest American ever. JFK, I used to not like him because of what T. Kennedy has become but looking back, he was a true hero. Ford's a good choice. Jackson was a great general but a truly weird guy. I think there are many Civil War generals that were heroes. JEB Stuart was quite a figure as was one of his successors, Wade Hampton. On the Union side I liked Winfield Scott Hanwiener.

How about heros in our lifetimes? I can hardly think of any. Charleton Heston?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
1) Jesus Christ the Savior
2) John the Baptist
3) Saint Paul
4) Thomas Jefferson
5) Patrick Henry
6) Samuel Adams
7) Old Hickory
8) General R.E. Lee
9) Alvin York
10) Billy Sunday
11) John Wayne
12) Robert Welsh
13) Ludwig Von Mises
14) Dr.Ron Paul
15) Pat Buchanan
16) My Paternal Grandad (KIA in Korea)
17) My Matneral Grandad
18) My DadEdited by: DixieDestroyer

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
JD1986 said:
Robert E. Lee
Stonewall Jackson
John F. Kennedy
Henry Ford
Edward I of England
Charlemange

Just to comment on the list. Lee-great choice, maybe the greatest American ever. JFK, I used to not like him because of what T. Kennedy has become but looking back, he was a true hero. Ford's a good choice. Jackson was a great general but a truly weird guy. I think there are many Civil War generals that were heroes. JEB Stuart was quite a figure as was one of his successors, Wade Hampton. On the Union side I liked Winfield Scott Hanwiener.

How about heros in our lifetimes? I can hardly think of any. Charleton Heston?
I forgot to include Pat Buchanan. Anyone who stands up to the Jewish Supremacists is something of a hero to me: David Duke, even Jimmy Carter.

Some will not agree, but I think of as heroes those 5000 poorly-armed Hezbollah freedom-fighters in Lebanon who in 2006 fought the 50,000-strong, heavily-armed invading Israeli armed forces to a standstill. Edited by: JD1986

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Pat Buchanon is a good mention.

For devout Christians I think you would have to have Moses on any list, that guy was awesome, general, leader, probably writer of most of the Old Testament.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, Pat Buchanon and Moses are both heroes of mine, as is the Apostle Paul. Dr. Duke is one too.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
great choices everyone. I'll just add a few of my favorites:

from american history

william bradford, george washington, thomas jefferson, patrick henry, james madison, james monroe, davy crockett, william travis, james bowie, sam houston, oliver hazard perry, zach taylor, henry clay, william mckinley, cal coolidge, robert taft, ron paul

from european history

charlemagne, louis ix, alfred the great, thomas aquinas, bernard of clairvaux, isabella of castile, emperor charles v, john locke, edmund burke, horatio nelson, napoleon bonaparte, william pitt the younger, queen victoria, dwight david eisenhower ( not as a general but as a president, a non-interventionist, and he successfully implemented operation wetback--the deportation of one million illegal immigrants)

StarWars

Mentor
1.) George Washington
2.) Henry V -"he who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother"
3.) William Wallace
4.) Thomas Paine
5.) John Riggins
6.) Allan Wells
7.) Jeremy Wariner
8.) General Robert E. Lee
9.) Wes Welker
10.) Harrison Ford
11.) Kostas Kenteris
12.) Jason Sehorn
13.) Roman Sebrle
14.) Valery Borzov

(general order)Edited by: StarWars

The Hock

Master
All the parents who work to provide for their families and raise their children to be good citizens. Especially with the deck increasingly stacked against them nowadays.

whiteCB

Master
Wayne Cherbet
Ulysess S. Grant (Buckeye state born and raised!)
John Riggins
William Tucumseh Sherman (another one of Ohio's finest!)
Jason Sehorn
Phil Sheridan
Steve Largent
Joseph Hooker

j41181

Master
First and foremost, my parents! I love my parents very much!
And here are the following figures I tend to look up to every now and then:

Basketball
Larry Bird
John Stockton
George Mikan
Rick Barry
Pete Maravich
Bob Cousy
Dirk Nowitzki
Steve Nash
Pau Gasol
Peja Stojakovic
Drazen Petrovic
Nick Galis
Arvydas Sabonis
Tyler Hansbrough

Historical/Political/Religious
Jesus Christ
St. Paul
St. Patrick
King Leonidas
George Washington
Ronald Reagan
Dwight Eisenhower
Ulysses S. Grant
Thomas Edison
Alexander Graham Bell
William T. Sherman
Alamo Defenders
Boer Fighters
Sam Houston
Julius Ceasar
Scipio Africanus
Alexander the Great
Peter the Great

Football
Jason Sehorn
John Riggins
Joe Montana

Boxing
Rocky Marciano
Ingemar Johansson
Jack Dempsey
Willie Pep
Tony Zale
Carmen Basilio
Gene Fullmer
Jake LaMotta
Tony Canzoneri
Ray Mancini
Kelly Pavlik

Baseball
Babe Ruth
Mark McGwire
Joe DiMaggio
Adam Dunn
Mike Schmidt
Dale Murphy
Cal Ripken, Jr.
Pete Rose

Hocky
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux

Track and Field
Bobby Morrow
Valery Borzov
Sebastian Coe
Dieter Baumann
Emil Zatopek
Alan Wells
Jeremy Wariner
Kostas Kenteris
Jonathan Edwards
Bruce Jenner
Frank Shorter
Steve Prefontaine

Cycling - Lance Armstrong (one of the best athletes ever!)
Edited by: j41181

StarWars

Mentor
Wow you put a lot of thought into that list!
smiley1.gif
It is awesome, I cannot believe I forgot Seb Coe and Steve Prefontaine. Also, Jack dempsey is a great one!
smiley4.gif

j41181

Master
StarWars said:
Wow you put a lot of thought into that list!
smiley1.gif
It is awesome, I cannot believe I forgot Seb Coe and Steve Prefontaine. Also, Jack dempsey is a great one!
smiley4.gif
Thanks, mate! There are many more I like to mention, but that will take forever.
smiley36.gif

Many many great figures in history, sports, music, religion, science, military, and politics were, and are WHITE!
smiley2.gif

I forgot to mention Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods pales in comparison to the Great Golden Bear. Only the media makes Tiger Woods greater than Nicklaus. Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, and Roger Federer and to name so many others. I better stop, too many for my simple brain to mention.
smiley36.gif

I'm sure there are many great figures for blacks, Asians, and Hispanics too. But trust me, there many times more great white figures than all of them combined.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: j41181