Nick Calathes - 1989
Terrence Ogelsby - 1988

guest301

Hall of Famer
Good list,j41181.
smiley32.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I also wouldn't put Alexander in the still have a chance category. It is only his rookie season and his lack of minutes is due to Richard Jefferson. He is too good of an athlete to fail.

guest301

Hall of Famer
j41181 said:
More BEST College bets for NBA:

Alex Ruoff - 1986
Robbie Hummel - 1989
B.J. Mullens - 1990
Nick Calathes - 1989
Terrence Ogelsby - 1988

Calathes and Mullens should be stars at the next level.

j41181

Master
More, more BEST College bets for NBA:

Matt Bouldin - 1988
Josh Heytvelt - 1986
Lee Cummard - 1985
Cole Aldrich - 1988

Future European bets:

Tim Ohlbrecht - 1988
Nikola Pekovic - 1986
Ricky Rubio - 1990

Still or might have a chance:

Steve Novak - 1984

Joe Alexander is in a deep hole in Milwaukee, despite all the major injuries (Redd, Bogut, Ridnour), makes one wonder if he'll get any playing time come next season. The Bucks are in the playoff race, and I doubt they have any patience to let the guy play.

He's a phenomenal athlete no doubt, I wonder why they won't rotate him to 3 positions (PF, SF, and SG)? He might get more playing time that way, it's really disappointing on my part.

I see there are more outstanding white prospects in the horizon, many who are in high school, or are college freshmen, and several more from Europe. I guess only time will tell who among these guys will be the next CHOSEN ONE (after Dirk, Nash, and Pau).

Have you guys noticed how little prospects there are born in [/b]1987[/b]? It reminds me of the 1987 NBA Draft, no good white players in that draft class. Only good white player born 1987 is Chase Budinger, though Josh McRoberts (also 1987) is quite a disgrace.
Edited by: j41181

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
gentlemen,

players like Ben Woodside, Terrence Oglesby, and Alex Ruoff will not even get a small of today's NBA. if a guy like JJ Reddick can't get on the floor in the league after all the success he had in the NBA-factory ACC, then none of these guys will probably even get an invite to a training camp. i hate to say that, but such is the way of things in the negro-loving basketball association.

Luke Harangody may actually have a better shot at a career in the NFL than in the NBA. if you'll look around the league, there are only a couple of below-the-rim white power forwards who ever see game time. and his brother was an elite tight end prospect before a freak injury ended his career.

a freshman who has really been impressing under the media's radar is Nevada's Luke Babbitt. that kid can play! he's a lot like Duke's Kyle Singler, a do-everything 3/4 who can put the ball on the deck.

sadly, only the long and athletic white players are likely to get a crack at making it in the NBA. so when you are trying to project guys who might make the leap keep that in mind. the only notable exceptions are 6-8 to 6-10 dead-eye shooters or pass-first point guards who can also finish above the rim. (see how Jared "Share" Jordan got shafted for evidence of this.)

the days of a John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek, etc getting drafted are long gone unless things in the NBA change in a major way.
smiley19.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Let's not forgive to give a nod to the greatest player to ever step on the court (in the history of the game)...Larry "Legend" Bird!
smiley4.gif

RBNY123

Marco Belinelli - 1986
Sergio Rodriguez - 1986
Rudy Fernandez - 1985
Brook Lopez - 1988

these guys are all studs. Out of all of them though i think the best player will be Marco. He is so athletic he has done multiple 360 slams in games and his shooting is lights out. I wish he played in a bigger market than golden state so he would get noticed. Also for College prospects has anyone heard of Mike Trimboli of Vermont. He is going for his 2000 point soon and he is averaging nearly 17 points, 2 steals, 5 redbounds, and 5 assists as well as being an amazing free throw shooter and shooting nearly 40 percent from behind the arc. He is also 6 foot 2 so i guess he has decent size.

j41181

Master
Mike Trimboli - 1986

I just checked the the dude out, and he's got some potential. Steve Nash came from Santa Clara (small program), Mike Trimboli could possibly be another draft steal, depending on what team chooses him. But he's still definitely a long shot. But who knows, Nash became an All-Time great through a series of circumstances.

RBNY123

Exactly, i think he can do it, and vermont clinched a tournament spot thanks to his 24 points, 2 steals, 7 assists, and 6 rebounds, so if anyone is interested he'll probibly be on tv.

icsept

Master
"the days of a John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek, etc getting drafted are long gone unless things in the NBA change in a major way."

That's true. Even in their day, Stockton and Hornacek were anomalies. Stockton from Gonzaga before anyone knew Gonzaga. Hornacek was a walk-on at Iowa State. Basketball players are judged by looks, not performance.

j41181

Master
Steve Blake just tied an NBA record for most assists in a quarter: 14 assists!
smiley32.gif

If a player like Steve Blake can hold his own in a loaded team like Portland, I'm sure ordinary looking guys like John Stockton, and Jeff Hornacek can make their way to the NBA. After all there are players like:

Steve Nash
Jose Manuel Calderon
Manu Ginobili
Kirk Hinrich
Luke Ridnour
Beno Udrih
Jose Juan Barea

who are in the league at the moment. The problem now is, how American whites like Hinrich, and Ridnour can break into the NBA? Most white guards in the NBA may very well be of foreign origin.

RBNY123

Kirk Heinrich is one of my favorite players. Not many people are aware of this but he actually had a faster 3/4 court sprint than Dwayne Wade in the 2003 nba draft combine. He also had the same vertical leap, but i believe a shorter reach. Anyway the point is this guy is athletic yet no one would no because they assume because of his ordinary appearance he is just another "white player". I hope he gets traded to a team were he will get solid minutes at the shooting guard because although he is doing a good job playing the point, there are just to many guards on the bulls and he isn't a natural point guard.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The scouting reports I read on Kirk all stated that he has good speed for the position. They were pretty positive evaluations.

RBNY123

Oh i know the scouting reports may have said that, but whether it is talking to the casual fan or playing a video game, they all sell him short on his athleticism. I remember from his rookie year i believe, he dunked in a game and it even though it was a pretty normal dunk it made it to the top ten plays because no one could believe kirk Heinrich could throw it down.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Hinrich is a NASTY dunker. he doesn't get fancy, but he dunks HARD. i really, really like the way he plays. before his injuries, he was the best young point guard in the Eastern Conference.

i've been a big fan of Steve Blake ever since his freshman year at Maryland. that kid has NEVER gotten the credit he deserves as a player. not only is he an exceptional passer, he is a superior defender. he has long arms, quick feet, and great instincts. i'd love to have him on my team.

j41181, your list of white guards is nice, but only 2 of the players you mentioned are comparable in size and leaping ability to John Stockton. Stockton was generously listed as 6-1 and couldn't dunk. all of the guards you mentioned except for Ridnour (6-2) and Barea (6-0) are at least 6-3 and dunk regularly. that was the point i was getting at with my earlier comment. sorry for the confusion.

also, Jeff Hornacek was not only a comparatively short shooting guard at 6-4, either he or Vinny Del Negro are likely the last routine NBA starters at shooting guard who couldn't dunk. both of those guys were excellent players, but neither would likely get a shot in today's NBA.

that tells me how screwed up the so-called talent evaluators are right there, with no more evidence needed.

j41181

Master
I could mention guards like:

Chris Quinn - 1983
Travis Diener - 1982
Blake Ahearn - 1984
Roko Ukic - 1984
Goran Dragic - 1986

but these are even longer shots on my watch.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
good additions, j41181.

what should make NBA fans ask questions, though, is the inconvenient fact that all of these guys you just mentioned played very well when given an opportunity. yet, "for some reason" their opportunities are few, far between, and usually short-lived.

also, i think my earlier point has been made. because unless i'm mistaken, of the quintet you just mentioned the only players who were drafted were the two foreigners. no?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Diener was in the second round

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Btw Dierner(Novak as well)will likely be the last white player to be a star at Marquette, ol' Buzz Williams likes his players dark. Some Texan he is
smiley18.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
thanks for the correction, celticdb.
smiley1.gif

for anyone who watched Marquette play back when Diener and D Wade were on the team, no one could've expected that Diener's career in the NBA would be anything but. he, not Wade, was the unquestioned leader and playmaker at the point. funny how things work out...
smiley5.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Agreed JC Diener while in college was a local media favorite, i had never even heard of D Wade until he got into the NBA!