White WR’s up slightly, including injured

referendum

Mentor
If we include currently injured Curtis and Jurevicius in our list, I come up with 16 white WR's on teams this year. Basically its unchanged from last year minus Haas and with the additions of Finneran, Nelson and Payne. So we have a total of 16 vs. last years 14. This does not count last years appearances of Dwight, Ball, and Gasperson who were only on teams for a short time.
What is somewhat encouraging, I suppose, is that marginal receivers like Anderson, Urban, Looker and Morey all made their teams.
Most disappointing of course is the unfair cuts of Gasperson, Kasper, Amendola, Standeford and Haas. Only Payne made it through, when all should have made their teams and at least two or three of those six.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I also thought that Luke Swan and Jeremy Bloom if they were actually given a shot could be good slot WR/ return men. Actually Bloom IMO could have made a great RB in college, but of course wasn't allowed to play. And certainly Todd Blythe should have been in the top 5 or 6 WRs in New Orleans already. I would have liked to see Brett Swain on the Pack's roster with Johhny Quinn making the practice squad.

Ball didn't do much at all this pre-season to sway anyone, but I'm sure could be a good contributer to a teams offense also. I would project Ball as a solid #2 or #3 WR down the road. Hass could be an Issac Bruce type though, which is why I'm so pissed off about him. I hope no Lovie for the white man gets canned!
smiley7.gif

I think we have more white practice squad WRs this year too. And Kasper probably would have made it if he didn't miss half the pre-season with injuries. Things are indeed looking up a bit. Almost 10% of NFL WRs are white now! With a few more white practice squaders making it through we could eclipse the 10% margin at the position!
smiley32.gif

I'm still mad about Gessner, Fairoz and Hosack from last year. My prediction for next season is 20 or so white WRs on NFL rosters with new draftees and a couple old guys making it through!

PhillyBirds

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Actually Bloom IMO could have made a great RB in college, but of course wasn't allowed to play.

A good kick returner, yes, but don't take it too far TJR!

Jeremy was not given enough chance anywhere, despite his natural athleticism. The Eagles, for instance, gave him only 2 punt returns in the entire preseason.
So they went into the season with the untested JR Reed (who returned only kickoffs prior to this), who muffed a punt return, costing the Eagles the season opener in Green Bay. Philadelphia's legacy of hate on white wide receivers that aren't named Kevin Curtis continued with the release of Michael Gasperson.

Coaches would rather lose a game than have a white athlete play regularly. Only Curtis' overwhelming skill and production has kept him on the field for as long as he has been. No one knows if Curtis will reclaim his starting spot, thanks to the media orgy over rookie DeSean Jackson.

Jackson has speed comparable to Curtis, but not the same hands or work ethic (Kevin even has a few pounds on DeSean). As cliche as that might sound, we've heard the stories of Jackson's practice laziness.

It wouldn't be the first time a white player has been denied his starting spot due to injury. We can only hope for the best judgement from the coaching staff. Which history will show, is not always favorable from Coach Reid.Edited by: PhillyBirds

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Morey is designated as a WR only because special teams demon isn't yet accepted as a position. Urban probably has the best chance to break through if he can surpass "flashy" Steve Breaston and be Arizona's third receiver all season. Even with Fitzgerald and Bouldin, the third receiver gets a lot of action on that team. Bryant Johnson was pretty much a bust; Urban could become Kurt Warner's trusted outlet guy.

Walter has a chance at a thousand yard season. If Andre Johnson isn't healthy again he could do as well or better than Kevin Curtis last season.

This is going to be the best year for white tight ends maybe ever as few TEs had big receiving numbers before the Caste System was implemented.

G

I think the receiver situation is the thing about the NFL that makes the least amount of sense. Even less sense than the "no white running backs" rule used by most teams.

As noted, many managers and coaches would literally prefer to lose than to use white receivers. The Wes Welker situation in Miami was mind boggling castework.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Speaking of white receivers in the NFL, does anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that Anthony Gonzalez wouldn't be getting as much praise as he does if he didn't have a Hispanic surname? I am sure this has probably been discussed before, but when I hear them talk about him, I always have this suspicion. Thats not to take anything away from Gonzo. He is a good young player, and I am very happy that he is getting a chance to shine in Indy, but he is the first white receiver in a long time that I remember who was allowed to come into the league contribute early and did not have to either bounce around from team to team before getting a real shot, or suffer through the bust talk because he didn't put up Pro Bowl numbers right away.

I am hoping Jordy is given the same opportunity to excell this year in Green Bay.Edited by: Bear Backer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say having Gonzalez for a surname has been an advantage, especially so when tight end Tony Gonzalez is a great non-white player.

One of the things I like about Anthony is that when he's on the field, on the TV screen he looks as white as Peyton Manning and Dallas Clark and no one is ever going to accuse Peyton or Dallas of being a secret brother like some did with Babe Ruth.

white is right

Hall of Famer
That's a good point any swarthy looking person with a Spanish surname from the Caribbean is generally viewed by the uninformed as partially black, you can't do that with Gonzo.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I'd agree with Don it helps Gonz to have a Hispanic name the same as an elite non-white Hispanic Tight End, but probably not a whole bunch. Being from a huge program at Ohio State also must help him too. They can't use the weak conference/game schedule against him. He also ran a legit 4.44 40 yard dash and that would make him a legit burner. Can't use the Mike Hass, too slow too white label.

Gonz is in a great situation in Indy, he will shine this year as the third WR and then move into Marvin's role in a couple years.
smiley32.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Actually Bloom IMO could have made a great RB in college, but of course wasn't allowed to play.

A good kick returner, yes, but don't take it too far TJR!

I'm not sure about the NFL, but I certainly think Bloom should have been tried at tailback in Division One. Bloom was as quick as a jitterbug at Colorado. Bloom is 5'9 with a low center of gravity and quick feet and strong legs as evidenced by his skiing achievements as well. If you watched Bloom return kicks in college with his lightness on his feet and cutting ability, he could definitely have projected as a scat back/ all purpose HB.

I don't know which white WR cut this year was the worst...they were all real bad...and so many that I even forgot to mention David Kircus.

The only guys who I knew wouldn't make the final roster and wasn't upset about being cut were Lance Long (virtually no experience) and Johnny Quinn with the ridiculous amount of talent in GB. Johnny Quinn should have been picked up by another team though and Long would be great practice squad material with the way he played in training camp/ pre-season.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I'm not sure about the NFL, but I certainly think Bloom should have been tried at tailback in Division One. Bloom was as quick as a jitterbug at Colorado. Bloom is 5'9 with a low center of gravity and quick feet and strong legs as evidenced by his skiing achievements as well. If you watched Bloom return kicks in college with his lightness on his feet and cutting ability, he could definitely have projected as a scat back/ all purpose HB.

All good points, TJR. However Bloom was flat out too small. When he signed originally with the Eagles he came in at 5'9" and only 165 pounds. That's smaller than DeSean Jackson. Most defensive players could pull him down with one arm.

Plus, when you're returning kicks you get the benefit of expansive field vision. Not to say he wouldn't have seen the field properly, but running into the line of scrimmage is a totally different ballgame.

Sorry to argue!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well Bloom certainly would have had to have added a little weight for RB in college, but 5'9 is in no way too small to play RB in college. Darren Sproles is 5'6 175 lbs. and is in the NFL. Jones Drew is 5'7. It is probably easier to be a good RB at 5'9 than a WR, just my opinion. A small WR has to be open enough, if short, so a taller defensive back can't knock down the ball while in the air if only barely behind. Small WRs have to be physical fighting for the ball and to get off the line just as small RBs have to be physical.

Realistically 5'7-6'4 is a reasonable height to play RB if black, but if you are white and below 5'10 you have no shot and if 5'11 and above with a wide frame, they will make you a FB.
smiley11.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I notice Drew Bennett is the starter this year in St Louis. Thats a positive but Mike Furrey is getting screwed. Catch almost 100 balls in a season and if your white you lose your job the next season.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Patriots worked out David Kircus and Seahawks worked out Mike Hass, who was also reportedly in NY last Friday. will see if anything will come of it, remember that Seahawks already have Logan Payne.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
whiteathlete33 said:
I notice Drew Bennett is the starter this year in St Louis..

Bennett broke his foot in the first series Sunday and is out for at least a month. And that was after being a china doll in the pre-season. He's squandering a great opportunity this year.

referendum

Mentor
I've been disappointed that with all the WR turmoil on a lot of teams over the last week that no white player has been picked up. Last year Camarillo and Urban were both cut at the end of training camp but picked up soon after.

what with Drew out who do the rams go and signn

Kircus?? Haas??? no ! Eddie kennison
smiley9.gif
Edited by: whiteknight

backrow

Hall of Famer
ain't nothing but love for these black scrubs. Seahawks picked up some random WR as well.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we have three unexpected white starters at receiver in Week 2 -- Logan Payne, Dane Looker, and Greg Camarillo. Payne and Looker are starting because of injuries to multiple other receivers on their teams (including Drew Bennett on the Rams), while Camarillo was promoted before the start of the regular season.

All the fantasy sites are dismissing these guys as not even qualifying as scrubs, so it would be great to see them do well. A lot is out of their control though, as the Rams' o-line is once again putrid, and the Seahawks are decimated on offense, while the Dolphins are still in the very early stages of rebuilding.

We've discussed Camarillo and it appears he might have a small amount of mestizo blood. But he's predominantly white and most fans will assume from his name that he's Italian.

James

Greg Camarillo's father is Mexican and his mother is of Hungarian heritage.
In California and the southwest, everyone knows "Camarillo" as a Spanish place name and surname.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Man I'm so upset Bennett got hurt. I was hoping for big things from him. He had a few good years when he was given opportunities before. I can't wait for my guy, Kevin Curtis, to be healthy. He's flat out amazing and even though he didn't get much respect from the media last year he will get it soon. He's too talented.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The media and Eagles fans wanted to blame Curtis for McNabb's underachieving last year and missing the playoffs IMO. They just couldn't criticize the black QB, it had to be that white WR. That guy just stands out, he must be the problem right?
smiley5.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yea Curtis only caught 77 passes last year. That must be considered pretty shabby in the NFL these days. He also had that one game where he had over 200 yards receiving. Maybe if Curtis had a real quarterback in the mold of a Brett Favre or Peyton Manning he would be the league leader in receptions. Welker tied last year and Furrey came in second two years ago. Just look at that. Two guys who were unwanted by almost every team in the league dominated. Welker is lucky to be on the Patriots. Even after last season's performance many teams in the league would replace him with an "afflete."

Bear Backer

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
Man I'm so upset Bennett got hurt. I was hoping for big things from him. He had a few good years when he was given opportunities before. I can't wait for my guy, Kevin Curtis, to be healthy. He's flat out amazing and even though he didn't get much respect from the media last year he will get it soon. He's too talented.

I have just about written off Drew Bennett as being a hope for a white player at the recieving position. Obviously he can help that he got hurt, but he has had a tendency to not only be soft, but of not taking advantage of the opportunities he has been given in the NFL.